Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Hope you get that map sorted out Opteryx, its looking sweet!

almost finished working on an english elm, just needs to be assembled really. This is just a branch btw.

elmpic01ly9.th.jpg

edit: some more pics, im aiming for about 15000-20000 on the high lod, Ill probably go for around 10 lod models, any tips on that would be more than welcome.

Im also experimenting with putting every lod except the farest lod on one material to reduce draw calls.

elmpicdsd2.th.jpg

lod2

elmpic04gc3.th.jpg

lod1

elmpic03fm2.th.jpg

lod0

elmpic02ch0.th.jpg

Nice map opteryx... next time use "backuphelp" alias savesure by alex.sworn. This tool can be started and it makes a backup if the data changes...by time you have to delete some old backups, but this gorgious tool will even work with simple .txt and every other document. Hope you are able to understand a little bit german. Maybe someone will translate it or write an english manual for everyone smile_o.gif

http://www.armabase.de/page....id=1885

Nice looking tree, MikeBart. I wish there were more folks like you who were interested in creating environment models. I am ignorant of 3D modeling, but look forward to using your tree on one of my maps someday smile_o.gif

@Mikebart

You should see about colour correcting your LODs so that when they blend you can reduce the whole morphing tree problem that ArmA has.  It may not be possible to do seemlessly, but it would be a great feature to have your plants not all of a sudden flash into specular and then flash into shadows while changing shape, etc like the BIS plants.

since stalker uses bumpmaps instead of normalmaps i have to make new normalmaps. SO THESE ARE THE MODELS FROM THE GAME S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ...I DIDN'T MAKE THE TEXTURES OR MODELS JUST THE NORMALMAPS AND SPECULARMAPS (just to make things clear wink_o.gif )

this is what i've got so far...

pic

Thanks guys,

plaintiff1, I think ill render the lighting and diffuse separatly and adjust to suit, that should make colour correction a bit easier.

I tried something different with the lighting on lod2, but yeah, it didnt really work out.

cheers.

edit: Nick, thats because only real men model trees  biggrin_o.gif

since stalker uses bumpmaps instead of normalmaps i have to make new normalmaps. SO THESE ARE THE MODELS FROM THE GAME S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ...I DIDN'T MAKE THE TEXTURES OR MODELS JUST THE NORMALMAPS AND SPECULARMAPS (just to make things clear wink_o.gif )

this is what i've got so far...

pic

They look pretty good for the most part from what I can see, BadBenson, although there are some anomalies like the stock on the VSS Vintorez. I wish to bring to your attention, in case that you are not aware, that you can convert a bump map directly to a normal map in a number of different ways, using different programs. I have never played STALKER so I don't know by looking at the models if you were converting the bump map or the diffuse map to a normal map or if you were creating your own.

yeah the stock is kinda temp. most parts are made from scratch though not from diffuse or bumpmap. in some parts i used desaturated snippets of the diffusemap. i know the stock looks kinda crappy that's why i was thinking about redoing the whole texture for it with some detailed wood photograph. we'll see...

Well feel free to PM me if you want to discuss techniques or anything like that. I'm getting to this point on my project myself so it's on the forefront of my mind.

They're looking very nice (especially the Enfield and FN rifles)

I understand that you've "only" made normal maps so far, but

are you planning to work on the models at all? Or perhaps

release an MLOD version too so those interested can make

modifications. I'd really like to use that SA80 but it has some

essential parts missing (the eliminator and cocking handle

seem to have broken off).

They're looking very nice (especially the Enfield and FN rifles)

I understand that you've "only" made normal maps so far, but

are you planning to work on the models at all? Or perhaps

modifications. I'd really like to use that SA80 but it has some

essential parts missing (the eliminator and cocking handle

seem to have broken off).

They are there, they are just on the other side of the model.  In a Counter-Strike-esque fashion, GSC decided to mirror the models so that you can see all of the working parts on the inside of the model.  This supposedly makes for a more interesting first person experience, as you can see brass shells hitting you in the face and levers flopping around and stuff.  

Turning them back around the right way would be complicated but doable.  It's complicated because mirrored UVs and normal maps don't mix, so you'd have to mirror the model, then the uv map (which may be as simple as a straight up negative scale of the uv plane but I'm not sure), and then mirror all of the textures.  The mirrored textures will result in reversed text, which would then need to be fixed in all maps.

Also, both sides of the weapon share uv space so something would have to be done about that. That's why you see the dust cover or whatever that thing that blocks the chamber is called on the correct side.

This is a pretty cool building I took a picture of in northeastern Iraq. I'm guessing it was a prison or fort. I thought it might be a cool building for one of you island builders to create for one of your islands.

oif2112kw1.th.jpg

oif2113fu0.th.jpg

I hope it helps or inspires.

Quote[/b] ]are you planning to work on the models at all? Or perhaps

modifications.

as plaintiff said they're mirrored. and of course i'll make everything accessible. everything that improves them is welcome. there might be some strange things going on with the models since they were made for the first-person-view. so some details will be modeled on one side and represented only by the normalmap on the other. fixing that just isn't worth the effort since in my opinion it would be easier to model them from scratch.

all i'm gonna do is try to make the textures look as good as possible in arma.

This is a pretty cool building I took a picture of in northeastern Iraq. I'm guessing it was a prison or fort. I thought it might be a cool building for one of you island builders to create for one of your islands.

Do you happen to remember the exact location?

Anyway, got my Afghan map back on track thanks to Q (thanks man).

Here's some screenies:

1-15.jpg

2-14.jpg

3-13.jpg

4-7.jpg

5-5.jpg

Hi all,

i just wanted to show you some screens of the map im working on at the moment. The map features Omaha Beach at full length and about 5 km of terrain behind the bluffs. This is my first map and i made it from scratch using historical maps and goggle pics and of course my fantasy. The map shows the beach as it was assumed to be by the Allies at nearly low tide. Of course im not able to put every tree at the right place but i try to come as close to reality as my time and abilities allow. I know that there is still much work to be done.

Credits go to the 31st Normandy modteam and all the contributors to this mod for letting me use their content. Bis for making this game and giving me the possibility to play around. And of course all the people helping beginners like me by writing how to´s and answering silly questions again and again...if i forgot anybody or anything... kick me..

visb2d.jpg

visb2g.jpg

visb2e.jpg

visb2a.jpgsmile_o.gif

Really very nice work on that map Opteryx, can't wait to do some missions on it smile_o.gif

Do you happen to remember the exact location?

Dude, that was two years ago. I flew over 680 hours over there, lol. I have no idea what the exact location was. We used to fly up to a prison in the mountains in northeastern iraq, near the iranian border. I want to say it was between there and Kirkuk. I'll see if I can get a location.

EDIT:

Ok, did a little research. I couldn't find that exact building, but I found the area. I found Fort Suse, which was the prison we used to fly to. It looks like the same kind of building. Below are a couple images.

fortsuse02om1.th.jpg

fortsuse01uw3.th.jpg

They are there, they are just on the other side of the model.  In a Counter-Strike-esque fashion, GSC decided to mirror the models so that you can see all of the working parts on the inside of the model.  

[...]

Turning them back around the right way would be complicated but doable.  [... etc...etc.]

That's a shame, because it looks just fine otherwise. I

suppose one could pretend it's a fictional ambidextrous

trials model (albeit fired off the wrong shoulder - "crack!"

there go my teeth!  biggrin_o.gif ). I've never played "Counter-Strike".

Someone discovered the 'Princess Elisabeth Polarstation'...

Does it have full interior detail? Or is it just a piece of scenery?