Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Other than whats been said so far, the only thing that stands out above that is identical wear and tear being too close together.

For example, the large flakes of yellow paint under the lower left window, are repeated on the rounded rampart to the right. A bit of cloning tool to make it less identical and it should be fine.

What do you guys think about this? Better? Worse? I'm scared of overdoing it.

HOUSE-3.jpg

Looking better. But I think you can attack the mosaic even harder considering how heavily worn the rest of the walls are. I.e. missing pieces of mosaic that has fallen off. Preferably in low-contrast spots, like in or just in contact with the red parts of the mosaic, so that the pattern isn't that easily spotted when watching it.

Also there should be vertical dirt under the 'squares' extended from the walls from dirt and rain pouring down. Not sure how possible that is though. Depends on how you've textured the building (but as it looks to me from the screenie it can be done)

T-55prg23.jpg

T-55prg24.jpg

Hi guys smile_o.gif

The high resolution model and Textures finished almost.

However, time hangs to complete it still.  tounge2.gif

Take away those march fuel tanks on the back, this is common mistake. They are used only on the march, but not in combat or daily service.

PS BTW are you plan to working on some T-55 based vehicles? For example, BTR-T. It may be beautifull!

Quote[/b] ]Opteryx Posted on Sep. 30 2008,16:15 What do you guys think about this? Better? Worse? I'm scared of overdoing it.

Well beside some overall dirt/grease i do'nt spot much change imho. The floor has improved a lot imho and isn't overdone (although hard to tell from size pic).

You haven't answered my (our) question though if you used repeated/tile texturing for the floor and walls, but since i and others noticed repeated patterns i guess you used tiles to texture it. Not that is a bad think, but it limites you extremely so you can't add extra 'real' ambient occlusion effect or specific corner related damge/grease.

I once did an experiment on a rather large traffic controle tower where i used tiles as base and tried to add ambient and other effects on new faces and blend them in with alphas. Sadly that didn't worked to well as shadows didn't effect the new alpha faces...BUT i might have not experimented with it alot (meaning: materials and alpha order). Maybe you play around with it....if you find it is worth it. Imho your 'small' building has enough atmosphere, so it wouldn't be worth it. Again, no need to have one great looking building if the rest 'sucks'.

The only think that still lacks is a good dirt/greas boarder where the building meats the ground and some real damage to the mozaik. Like said, all other individual or geo specific effect can't be done due to the mapping as you know (but see my fix..if it works).

Conclusion: nothing new that i and other said (repeated and confirmed tounge2.gif ).

Prolly to help the tank out of a mudhole.

nice

a bit clean imho, but its a very nice base to start some wear and tear!

What do you guys think about this? Better? Worse? I'm scared of overdoing it.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee219/Opteryx_album/HOUSE-3.jpg

My first thought was: wheres the fecking stairs?!

Apart of that, its impressive, I like your style in general.

The way you work around with the textures its simply amazing.

Though when i look at it i see boxes, dunno why  huh.gif

ps- keep posting inspirations please biggrin_o.gif

Regarding what I meant by actual ambient occlusion.

If you spread out your fingers and look at your hand you will notice a more or less consistent lighting condition on each finger.  If you now close your fingers you will notice lines of shadow between each finger provided your hand is not being lit directly by a strong source.  

In the world there's a couple of different ways things receive light.  One is by direct lighting, another is by reflected light.  Everything you see is reflecting light from the sun into your eyes.  The materials are not only reflecting light to your eyes, though.  They are reflecting light all over the place, and illuminating each other.  The sky is another source of light via diffusing and refracting light, causing a weak secondary light source from all angles.  So, what we have is a lighting situation with reflected or refracted light illuminating from all angles- the ambient lighting condition.  The more isolated the surface inside of a crevasse, the less of this light the surface will receive.  The crevasse then is occluding the ambient light sources.

So what I was talking about was the above combined with grime and that sort of thing, which also tends to build up in crevasses.  This in combination with the fact that thing tend to be dirtier on the bottom than the top mean that if you shade the bottom portions of the building more than the top will give the building a more grounded feel.  Objects without consideration given to the environmental conditions of the environment (AO, dirt, etc) tend to look isolated.

edit: Don't be afraid to overdo it. Just put this stuff on another layer if you're using photoshop. If you're just doing a grime layer, set the layer to multiply mode. Paint on some stuff and play with the opacity of the layer. Then if you're unsure about the value you've chosen, you can always ask us. Adjusting it then would be a very simple matter.

Okay, what about this then?

House

And here are the textures:

Main tex

Roof/tiles tex

Note that the textures in the buldozer pic are 2048x2048 and 2048x1024, but they're going to be scaled down.

I don't know if I can dedicate this much time per model, I need hundreds of models so I wonder what I could do to speed up my workflow.

Oh and yeah, as you can see the roof isn't a seamless tile repeated.  tounge2.gif

Once you get the formula for one down, the rest should come much faster. I like this new version. Tone the roofs back down to something more like your previous version, and the global effect down slightly, and I think that that should do it, in my humble opinion.

rygugu, that T-55 looks awesome!! I can't wait for it to be released. Thank you for making this much desired tank!. notworthy.gif

Opteryx that looks a lot better already. One other thing to perhaps consider would be to add some more dark tones where the second story wall intersects with the roof. It would help break up the clean line but it would need to be moderate. But then again it's such a small tedious detail it might not be worth it.

Other than that, looks great as it is smile_o.gif

Yeah, an "unditching beam" then. Did the Soviets carry those into combat?

The Log on the back was for frontline vehicles working alongside Spetnaz units, within visual distance of enemy forces the Spetnaz would proceed to take the logs from the vehicles and in full force throw the log as far as possible at enemy lines whilst yelling 'RUSSIA STRONG!11!!'....such feats of manliness would create confusion and crush the morale of anyone who would dare oppose them.

The Log on the back was for frontline vehicles working alongside Spetnaz units, within visual distance of enemy forces the Spetnaz would proceed to take the logs from the vehicles and in full force throw the log as far as possible at enemy lines whilst yelling 'RUSSIA STRONG!11!!'....such feats of manliness would create confusion and defeat the morale of anyone who would dare oppose them.

So it's a Russian caber, then? crazy_o.gif

smile_o.gif

The high resolution model and Textures finished almost.

However, time hangs to complete it still.  tounge2.gif

Do you also plan to make a very shitty T55 looking like it didnt have any maintenance for years and is full of dirt and rust, missing parts (mudcover for example) etc.?

That would suit very well for militia OPFOR, (Somalia militia, Taliban, Africa, etc.)

Leave russia alone, unless you want to wake up sleeping bear, bear would get angry and it would stick lots of nukes into your @ss and whole world's.

So don't play with matches or you'll get burned, unless you are from u.s. You could through armys of marionettes and still get away(just like georgian and south osethian conflict) and making russia even stronger.

now back on topic,

Opteryx, that building looks great, but are you planning to spend that time on each building? If so, your map would be superb in terms of looks and realism, but it would take so much time to wait. Well... i can wait.  wink_o.gif (for impatiente people:   tounge2.gif   )

rygugu,

that T-55 looks good, but um... it's an old tank, it MUST have rust/dirt on it, missing/broken parts...

oh btw, forgot to mention:

_...-= RUSSIA STRONG =-..._

................... tounge2.gif ...................

@rygugu: Congrats on such a detailed T-55. notworthy.gif

About the dirt / rust discussion: You may define it a T-55 of the year 1961 (just left the fabric) tounge2.gif

On the other side, it is a very hard job to complete such a tank by one person. I now some excellent texture artists, able to do the rust / dirt job. Some other may add correct optics / hitzones / armor / ammunition and so on.

Those additional tasks can take more time as creation of the model, so I am extremly happy about the prospect of a T-55 in the near future in game, even when it looks like a new one.

Stewy's Latvian Project - something missing from ArmA!

latvians.jpg

This is just a concept picture to see what the tex would look like - using the French FR-Speciales troops just as a base...I know the velcro is crap - need to do that again - I think the cam looks cool, but I'm biased!

I was wondering please if someone can help by providing me a standalone soldier - such as the West Machine gunner or team leader (long sleeves) so that I can go to work on the painting the uniform/badges, etc?

A standalone normal map would be ideal too (to get rid of the US flag mark on the shoulder wink_o.gif )

Cheers guys!

I'll keep trying, but will need some help to get it out to the masses!

Those squares look too big imho maybe they should be smaller??

No mate, they're really that big! biggrin_o.gif

Truth be told, the uniform is probably more correct than the helmet for pattern size - but it's 3:00 am and was just a rough knock together wink_o.gif

Very well then, looking forward to your work biggrin_o.gif

I've got a pair of curtains like that! biggrin_o.gif

Is that urban camouflage? It looks like it'd work quite well

among piles of rubble and such.