Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

@Panda[PL]: I'm aware, or at least been told about your M32, that you did the holes. All all my previous models i always have modeled them, but somehow i decided to keep simulate them in the texture. I quickly checked it with alpha's, but sadly it would require lost of fixes to cover clipping/uncovered stuff. So only a full 3d mesh would look good but not sure if the extra polycount is worth it. A rough count i suppose it will require +1k-2k...not sure if it is all worth it confused_o.gif .

well if youd at last would use some hi poly derived normal maps i could show you some more trickery biggrin_o.gif

for the FPS you can really leave alot away or simplify it as the vision on that thing is limited anyway.

cheers!

It's a fighter from a science fiction series called Battlestar Galactica. wink_o.gif

Abs

tell ya i do have a full model of it in 3Ds format wink_o.gif but id have to ask the kid who made it if it.s ok for me to port it over to ArmA if he say.s ya to it ill do it but id be asking for some help with it as am still new to O2

Still working on my ZAZ addon, right now working on cargo view. Now i know why BIS didn't bother with interiors on T-72 and M1 Abrams tounge2.gif

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=interiorxd4.jpg

Also any 3d max experts? How would i UV map the steering wheel, I jsut don't have any experience UV mapping organic/complex objects.

@USSRsniper -

I would think if you just UV mapped it from the front, that would be sufficient, as you'd really never see the back of the wheel.

Also any 3d max experts? How would i UV map the steering wheel, I jsut don't have any experience UV mapping organic/complex objects.

Panda and me have discussed the UV-mapping on Sep. 12 2008,14:34 in this thread (I use blender, panda uses Xnormal). I use some noise in the nohq and smdi texture to simulate organic material using Paint.NET or any other program able to handle TGA-files.

aw man sweet if you could make one of them fancy cylon fighters too blazer01!  biggrin_o.gif

Best series ever battlestar galactica, imo its even better than ST or Stargate smile_o.gif

Its like crazy immersion.

is it possible to make it turn 180 to the opposite direction? And fly backwards like in the series?

i have the cylon fighter aswell it.s the old one from OFP all it needs is some updateing and to be ported over but id have to see if Frodo will let me do a port over of it as for makeing it do 180 i duno if ya can do it id have to ask some one whos good at the configs

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/screenshots/File/53905/1

is it possible to make it turn 180 to the opposite direction? And fly backwards like in the series?

Noting is impossible. smile_o.gif

Just like a tank can turn it's turret around, you might add a "big turret" including most of the model.

But it might be a bit tricky, when you want to turn back to forward direction.  rofl.gif

a battlestar would be a crazy huge thing to do for the game  tounge2.gif

But hey if you are bored then  biggrin_o.gif

It would have to be half the size of a airfield runway at least if its going to look close to the series scale crazy_o.gif

ok ill tell ya now am new to O2 so for the models may not be good when iv dun tham but i have a m8 who dus a lot of stuff with 3D Max and with O2 aswell so am going to see him later and see if he as any he can give me i think he as the viper so he may let me have it for the game but like i say id have to ask him if.s ok to use it for ArmA if he says ya to it all than id need help with it at geting it to work so whos up for helping me out if i get models

Here over what works are finished on 99 %

08island3mb3.th.jpgthpix.gif

BAZEF WIP

08island2bc5.th.jpgthpix.gif

At present I continue to complete models and I work over a material and a demo island

well i got a Mk2 off him it needed a some work on it got that dun 12 hrs of work and i put the Av8A Cockpit in it looks ok up to now

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums....-29.png

biggrin_o.gif  god am i going to love this when i get it in game working

and i wos thinking of haveing a go at a battlestar but i think it will be to big at 2 to 3000M long i think it may be biger

I'm trying to increase my texturing/modeling skill and would like some honest critique on what I can do to enhance particular this model.

I don't feel that I am really advancing very well in terms of aesthetics, maybe it's just a lack of patients, time and artistic skill, but I would like some opinions even though this is baby food compared to what some of what you guys do.

HOUSE-2.jpg

A while ago I noticed a couple of islands around with custom buildings that look like the structures were just floating there- the textures were alright but they lacked something to pull them into the scene. Then it hit me when I was comparing those buildings to some BIS ones... ambient occlusion.

Adding some subtle fake ambient occlusion to where the building contacts the ground and probably to where the two sections of the building will help ground the thing all together. Corners are where all the dust and dirt and crap and grease collects, especially where the building connects to the ground, and then you have the actual ambient occlusion from the actual proximity of the materials.

looks amazing to me mate, I can't see what might be causing you concern.

I guess keep playing with it until 'your' happy, someone will always want something 'that' could be added etc.

Southy

Adding some subtle fake ambient occlusion to where the building contacts the ground and probably to where the two sections of the building will help ground the thing all together.  Corners are where all the dust and dirt and crap and grease collects, especially where the building connects to the ground, and then you have the actual ambient occlusion from the actual proximity of the materials.

Hmm what do you mean " actual ambient occlusion"?

I'm using Sketchup and o2 to model, so anything texture related is done in Photoshop.

The building imho (not an expert on wear/tear texturing though) looks good enough. Plaintiff1 is correct though that ambient occlusion could add more realisme and envirement fitting to the full picture. You  did a nice job with the paint age-ing but some additional dirt etc could be added to ground level and corners. Might want to check my dirt tutorial if it helps in some way.

What atm sticks out a bit is the 'new' look of the tile/brick work on the balcony (the horizontal pattern). It could use some fallen off or damaged bricks maybe, so the 'nice' build mozaik pattern gets broken...

Maybe also some additionally 'rain/dust' long vertical marks could help that are starting from the balconys and under the windows.

In the end, one can quickly over do it and go past what it realisticly would look like  confused_o.gif . As long all buildings (of same age etc) share the same type of decay, one can't go wrong i guess.

EDIT: offcourse it all depends a bit on how 'individually' you mapped your model. As sometimes it isn't possible to add effects as it will look unrealistic due to the 'tiling' or multiple use of the same texture on other parts of the building.

-> Like for example the roof floor. I suppose you decided to make that of a small tileable texture? If not, again some dirt/dust would be nice around the balcony and building boarders.

Reply on your post after i posted:

Quote[/b] ]actual ambient occlusion

Well, i'm bad at explaining, but i suppose we bought mean, effects on sureface by time/weather etc. Some decent 3d programs can bake (imho a bit fake) ambient occlusion maps witch are based on calculation of where geo 'traps' dust/dirt over periode of time. It can be selfmade in photshop though. As long you keep your structure and realistic placements in mind. Like ground corners and other corners exposed to the elements are good ambient occlusion placements. Stuff like paint damage, 'open' corners (like the corners on the the side of a building) witch will also have some sort of damage to the elements are not directly part of ambient occlusion imho.