Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

For those who may have been interested, the base texture is pretty much done. Did I over-do the weathering a bit?? I think it will mellow out after the normal and spec map are added.

srbasetexjj7.jpg

I think you got the weathering well. Maybe with exception of the rear half of the receiver. I would concentrate weathering close to the sharp edges a bit more maybe?

Personally I would make a negative of it and overlay it over the specular with very low opalicity.

To make it reflect unevenly, kind of like this:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4513/sr25em5.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0145_1.JPG

And you are right 90% of surface looks actually come from SM, so it will look anything but flat when finished.

@namreg

I think after making this great model and textures the normal maps and speculars will be a child's play for you. You'll probably get it done in one evening.

Much respect for your talent, you're working quite fast. notworthy.gif

dont see much weathering on it.

just some texture pattern on it.

btw

the overlay on the handpanels is bad.

the shadows have a tan color.

dont see much weathering on it.

just some texture pattern on it.

btw

the overlay on the handpanels is bad.

the shadows have a tan color.

Maybe I called it by the wrong name. The "weathering" I'm talking about is the metal base texture that I generated so that the gun wasn't just a flat grey color. Is this not weathering?

I agree about the handguards.

Nope, weathering is what the name is. It's usually done after the base metal and consist of bashing the gun up as much as you can. And then if you're me, remove half of the bashing because you think it's too much, only too see two months later that it was enough.

After I ' ve showed a page before a first impression of my M60 I was able to finish the textures (and to 80% of the LODs) today.

mc025m60pack01ls4.jpg

mc026m60pack02dt4.jpg

The magazine pouche of the E3 versions will be replaced with LBT pouches

@MehMan:

M60:

PilotView: 5322 faces

0.0 LOD: 2950 faces

M60D:

PilotView: 3798 faces

0.0 LOD: 1499 faces

-> Low poly cos for use on vehicles (LVTR/C-7 and UH-1N)

M60E3 (both)

PilotView: 4902 faces

0.0 LOD: missing at the moment

-> The M60E3 (long barrel) will available as a high poly (3000 faces 0.0 LOD) and low poly (1.500 faces 0.0 LOD) variant. The low poly variant is for a use as vehicle mounted weapon.

Weathering is the mug and dust sticking to things, stains from water, exhaust, grass or simply the fainting of paintwork due to sun exposure.

In case of gun it's the result of constantly being wiped by uniform, occasionally hit against concrete rock or steel.

You can also add some minor variation of colour due to sweat from human hands sticking to it and either leaving some fat or helping the dust to stick to it. Or fresh stains from only your sweat that you can constantly see if you own a handgun with nice matt black finish wink_o.gif.

I would simply suggest looking at photographs of this rifle, or a simmilar rifle to see where it is tipical to destroy the paintwork (forward assist of an M4 for example) etc.

For those who may have been interested, the base texture is pretty much done. Did I over-do the weathering a bit?? I think it will mellow out after the normal and spec map are added.

[im]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4151/srbasetexjj7.jpg[/img]

I don't like the cloud pattern on the black metal at all. It looks like render\clouds and looks like it has no rhyme or reason. You could also add scratches and wear on the sharp corners of the thing. It would give it a more lived-in quality. Right now, the textures look like flat shaders with some fractal patterns in places. It looks quite unfinished.

I don't like the cloud pattern on the black metal at all. It looks like render\clouds and looks like it has no rhyme or reason. You could also add scratches and wear on the sharp corners of the thing. It would give it a more lived-in quality. Right now, the textures look like flat shaders with some fractal patterns in places. It looks quite unfinished.

Its definitely not render clouds and the reason why it looks unfinished is probably because it is...

Still, I appreciate your honesty.

...the base texture is pretty much done.

Then I'm not sure what this means.

Well, base means the foundation. Therefore it doesn't have any details etc. Pretty much done also means almost, and not quite done.

I hope I have helped clarify this for you. smile_o.gif

Abs

Well, base means the foundation. Therefore it doesn't have any details etc. Pretty much done also means almost, and not quite done.

I hope I have helped clarify this for you. smile_o.gif

Abs

Yes. Quite clever.

The comment was that the foundation looks awkward because it has some kind of cloud-like pattern on it which makes it look a less than 'almost done'. It looks like he has either the foundation not close to done or the foundation is done and he's started to add to it. If I was going to add on to the foundation he has, I would want to tone down that pattern quite a lot more than he has. Maybe he has some kind of formula that I am unaware of that all comes together at the end, but I personally would not have that pattern on there so strong. At any rate, I was confused as to what he was showing off, but I was trying to make a post that was worth his while to read.

Yes. Quite clever.

The comment was that the foundation looks awkward because it has some kind of cloud-like pattern on it which makes it look a less than 'almost done'. It looks like he has either the foundation not close to done or the foundation is done and he's started to add to it. If I was going to add on to the foundation he has, I would want to tone down that pattern quite a lot more than he has. Maybe he has some kind of formula that I am unaware of that all comes together at the end, but I personally would not have that pattern on there so strong. At any rate, I was confused as to what he was showing off, but I was trying to make a post that was worth his while to read.

Clever? Sorry, I was trying to be helpful as I thought you were genuinely confused. I suppose that was sarcasm you were trying to convey then?

Either way, that's the great thing about art...everyone does it their own way.

Abs

Clever? Sorry, I was trying to be helpful as I thought you were genuinely confused. I suppose that was sarcasm you were trying to convey then?

Abs, thanks for the words.

@plantiff1, I'm not showing off so much as I'm trying to gather feedback. Already based on your criticism, I have made some improvements. As I have already said, I appreciate your honesty - only, you're coming off as a bit arrogant in the process and its starting to appear that you're more interested in proving your point and criticizing me than helping me...and no, your last comment to me was not worth posting.

Here is the latest: DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRESENTATIVE WORK IN PROCESS THAT I AM POSTING IN ORDER TO GATHER CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. THIS IS NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT AND I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. I HAVE ALSO NEVER RECEIVED ANY FORMAL TRAINING.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, here you go : wink_o.gif

sr25kbf5.jpg

Hmm, are you using any AO maps or is the texture using any bakes at all?

I would, personally, use some kind of procedural mapping for the RIS to give it some more sense of sharpness.

Something like this:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8082/beztytuuhy5.png

If you look closely: I drew the faces on texture using material color, I added a thick dark line at edges and then a thinner bright line ontop of it and then applied blurr. In some places it looks bad, in others I have saved myself some borring work of making it in 2D programm with.

And this is the most primitive 3D programm out there, programs like Blender have many more options.

BTW: a little late to point it out but isn't the window cover missing hinges?

Abs, thanks for the words.

@plantiff1, I'm not showing off so much as I'm trying to gather feedback. Already based on your criticism, I have made some improvements. As I have already said, I appreciate your honesty - only, you're coming off as a bit arrogant in the process and its starting to appear that you're more interested in proving your point and criticizing me than helping me...and no, your last comment to me was not worth posting.

Here is the latest: DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A REPRESENTATIVE WORK IN PROCESS THAT I AM POSTING IN ORDER TO GATHER CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. THIS IS NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT AND I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. I HAVE ALSO NEVER RECEIVED ANY FORMAL TRAINING.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, here you go : wink_o.gif

[im]http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2417/sr25kbf5.jpg[/img]

Naw, I didn't mean showing off like that. I just meant I was wondering what in particular you were showing for comment. What I was trying to do was come to an understanding of what I was commenting on because it seemed like you were rejecting my criticism and throwing me a cookie:

Quote[/b] ]

Its definitely not render clouds and the reason why it looks unfinished is probably because it is...

Still, I appreciate your honesty.

Also, I thought abs was ribbing me. If he wasn't, fair enough. I was confused but I was not confused as to the definition of the words.

BTW render clouds is a 'legal' tool to use as long as it doesn't look like render clouds. The problem with it is that it is too uniform, so it needs something else along with it. This is what I guess I was getting at with the pattern. The smudge pattern was too strong and uniform.

I like the new body. The clip there still looks a little cloudsy. If you're going to scuff the hell out of the clip, I think that that won't look out of place, but if you're going to keep it nice and generic then you might want to tone it down a bit further on that part.

My last post to you was asking you to clarify what your aims were. I should hope there was no direct benefit to you, unless it caused some kind of deep philosophic epiphany about your work. That post was supposed to have an indirect benefit to me. Perhaps you are talking about my post to abs? At any rate, I have no problem coming off as arrogant. If that messes up your whole day then that's something that you should take a look at. At the end of the day, if my posting helps you artwork, good. If not, meh, it's no skin off my back.

At any rate, I have no problem coming off as arrogant. If that messes up your whole day then that's something that you should take a look at. At the end of the day, if my posting helps you artwork, good. If not, meh, it's no skin off my back.

Definitely didn't ruin my day. I enjoy my life too much to let some hombre on the internet get me down.

And you have helped my artwork, so thank you for that!

Ok, enough of this. Lets go back to discussing addons.

everyone lets settle down a bit and stay constructive yes?

@PandaPl..

uhm sorry enlighten me.. wheres the prodcedural texture on that?

did you set up a material with fall offs in a pro app?

cant seem to make out the arma material editor is capable of that

i wouldn exeggerate that "effect" tho.

it doesnt appear that much and then usually only with specularity (best seen on plastic surfaces, where some parts are pretty much used and look shiny (darker) whereas other parts are untouched and appear flat (lighther)

anyway..

using render clouds and filters/custom brushes to create a "basic" overall tone/texture to kill a solid, bland looking color is legit.

however, the story doesnt finish there.

add weathering, eg scratches, abbrasion, rust, oil-smear, dust, gunpowder remains etc etc.

but add them where they occur.

add scratches all over the body isnt realistic..

look at very exposed parts and edges, these get beaten quite often.

@scubaman

no ones offensive against you, were just trying to help, even it might sound harsh.

read what we´ve written, think about it, try to understand and comprehend, try, ask questions, retry, fail, retry.

making mistakes is excelent.

panels look better.

however the metal still needs work

add some very light blue tint to it or use the spec color to do so.

this will "fake" the coldness of the steel a bit.

anyhow

technically spoken it is far more wise to do the normal map first, then the AO based on that, then the diffuse and then the spec.

why? because you can derive very usefull information from the normal map for the diffuse and use the nm as an additional source for AO.

@scubaman...

Wow, its obvious I still have a lot to learn!

And don't worry about offending me, I'm Italian, I'm offended about everything smile_o.gif

Thanks for the info. I'll be taking my time on this model and I'm considering it my Sistine Chapel.

So when you meant adding a "blue" color via the spec, you mean changing the specular RGB values to something like 44, 61, 131?

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I'm posted here. I couldn't work on my car for a while because Bulldozer was messed up. Luckfully the problem didn't persist with my new hard drive and I finally finished the exterior.

I'm not sure how I should make the bottom of the car. Should I fill in the most I can with a large rectangle and then fill in the gaps, like this:

1213313452.jpg

Or is there a better way?

Also, a long time ago someone mentioned that I should add the mirrors as an object. However I'm not too sure how to do that or even what it means exactly.