Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Does [or will] the onager actually work or is it just a

static display model?

Sadly it probably won't in the future, I don't even get a simple bow (model ready with sinew and arrows) to work confused_o.gif .

I understand that the bow has to be defined as a launcher class someway because defined as a rifle it will fire tracers and only launchers have a flying rocket.

But if I define as a launcher it looks akward, a bow doesnt weight that much to be carried with two hands, so I need to have a rifle firing "rockets" somehow. Oh and the animations...

And that's the point where I say "stuff that config, you still have to model some other things anyway" to myself until I have a decent amount of models at which point I will look into the config/animations "in detail" (atleast that's my plan for now ).

You could define the bow as rifle and the arrows as mortars.

I exported it to obj format. Wich format is better for exporting anyways?

I found out that when I import the chopper into O2 it reverses not only the normals, but the direction of the chopper in 3D space also. The X and Y axes are correct but not the Z axis,.......

You sure? Ive found when importing .obj, that it flips the x or y axis, sry I dont remember wich right now. But i recall almost missing it on some symetrical models that I had imported.

I've also found so far with my models .obj to the most convenient format to import into O2 but that may also have something to do with me going from blender.

great work BTW

Quote[/b] ]The importance of being idle

Will update it with a wireframe at some point, before Neph moans at me

A+

Messiah your guys still working ArmA, a little birdy told me you had moved over to VBS2 doing stuff for the MoD

Messiah your guys still working ArmA, a little birdy told me you had moved over to VBS2 doing stuff for the MoD

And this fact, true or not, has to do what with ArmA WIP stuff?

really nice Messiah. I have just one comment to make. the textures on the armor plates are repetitive.

but this is only a detail. wink_o.gif

Indeed. I was sticking to one 2048x2048 panel, thus I decided that the two identical middle plates could... be indentical in order to save texture space.

A slip of the mind caused me to include a rather recognisable scratch detail that makes it all the more obvious.

Was planning on rectifying it, but never got around to it. icon_rolleyes.gif

@messiah

*wIp-crack* biggrin_o.gif

very nice

just give it a decent normal and spec map and its ready to go.

an ambient occlusion pass blend over in the diffused map works wonders smile_o.gif

Namreg, I can't do what I promised because the north bridge of my mobo is on the fritz and I can't use my graphics card in 3d mode. My appologies.

@SFC.ITZHAK: Looks quite impressive. Will make a good place to sit and eat caviar while i watch my USMC company land on the beaches. :P

@Commando84: IIRC, they are meant to shoot down strategical bombers, so the range is very very large in Arma Terms (way more than several sahranis). Saying that, these will actually make great targets and will give a new meaning to 'Neutralise AA before gunship support' biggrin_o.gif

why sit there?

why not fly to the lz it self.

sfc.

you should take a look at the 53e and the "coming soon" 53k

RavenDK wink_o.gif

plaintiff1 Don't worry, I'm still UV mapping, adding BIS textures and creating the new textures for my heli...

081.jpg

... so please don't feel any presure about it, but thx for your interest biggrin_o.gif

That is looking very good Namreg! Keep it up!

If you need any help for getting it ingame, just ask for help. smile_o.gif

RavenDK wink_o.gif

plaintiff1 Don't worry, I'm still UV mapping, adding BIS textures and creating the new textures for my heli...

[im]http://www.oriolajuan.com/arma/081.jpg[/img]

... so please don't feel any presure about it, but thx for your interest biggrin_o.gif

Are you using Maya? If so, you can just unwrap it however you feel like and use the 'transfer maps' functionality in the render \ lighting menu set. It will take whatever is on the BIS model as an image and warp it to seemlessly transfer it over to the uvs on your helicopter, creating a new image.

The same thing is possible using the ultimapper property in XSI.

Hi, Namreg this pic is for you, it's the forward AH1-W Sensors.

AH1-W Sensors Close Up.

I guess that you already knew of that site, but just for if you don't.

Let's C ya

I'm sorry if someone asked this allready, but what happened to the turbine exhaust? AH-6 has a turbine power plant and the exhaust is below the tail. You have it sealed with a cone it seems?

Second thing is the dark texture on the back of missile pylons. It seems out of place, can you confirm it on photographs that these places get dark?

Last question is the incrusion at front of the sensor. Is it really that deep in reality?

The strange behaviour with texture mapping after import to O2 might be because ArmA engine triangulates quads when displaying different than Modo (cutting in tris the other way) in case of this particular quad. Or because Modo displays quads without triangulating them in the first place while DX does force triangulation.

VXR THX man, I'm glad you like it

plaintiff1 This is an old model that I started modeling a few years ago and it has nothing to do with the BIS model, so I have to do all the UV mapping for each piece sad_o.gif jeje... but THX for the information buddy wink_o.gif

wipmanTHX for that web page!!! it has a lot of information about my heli too!!!.... this is the link for a close up on my heli's front sensors (that I just added to my textures) notworthy.gif

MD-500 Sensors close up

Panda[PL]

Quote[/b] ]I'm sorry if someone asked this allready, but what happened to the turbine exhaust? AH-6 has a turbine power plant and the exhaust is below the tail. You have it sealed with a cone it seems?

Here you have the specifications.

Quote[/b] ]Specification: Hughes Model 500MD Defender

Type: anti-tank helicopter.

Powerplant: two Alision 250-C20B turboshafts.

Performance: max cruising speed - 221km/h, service ceiling - 4,205m, max range - 428km, rate of climb - 503m per minute.

Weights: empty - 512kg, max - 1360kg, max external load - 550g.

Dimensions: main rotor diameter - 8.03m, rear rotor diameter - 1.40m, length - 9.40m, height - 2.64m, width over tow pods - 3.23m.

Armament: 4 * BGM-71A TOW anti-tank missiles or 2 70mm rocket hives.

It has a couple of turbine engines so that's why it has a couple of exhaust tubes on each side.

And that cone at the back... I suppose it's for better aerodynamics... icon_rolleyes.gif

082.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Second thing is the dark texture on the back of missile pylons. It seems out of place, can you confirm it on photographs that these places get dark?

You are right, they don't look that dark on the pictures.... I just fixed it.... thumbs-up.gif

091.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Last question is the incrusion at front of the sensor. Is it really that deep in reality?

083.jpg

plaintiff1 This is an old model that I started modeling a few years ago and it has nothing to do with the BIS model, so I have to do all the UV mapping for each piece sad_o.gif jeje... but THX for the information buddy wink_o.gif

That's not what I mean. I thought you said that you were using BIS textures. I thought by that you meant that you were unwrapping onto the BIS texture, and adding sections with their own uv map for your other components. Your last update looked like there was some awkward UVmapping going on, and I know that the BIS textures are not always the easiest to unwrap for.

What I was saying is that you should unwrap the way you think is best, ignoring the BIS textures completely, then using the transfer maps functionality to bring whatever textures you were using over to your new model. The two models that you are transferring map information between don't really have to be anything similar, and their unwraps can be completely different and the space devoted to each piece in UV space can be completely different.

The option I was giving you was to make more flexible use of the BIS textures if that's what you're doing.

Namreg,

I am loving this model. One thing to add is that you need to to take off the cover for the other nose sensor window. That is a cover only because that is where the non-eye safe laser is kept.

plaintiff1

I actually did my UV mapping based on the BIS textures.Then I made my own textures for the new components copying and pasting what I needed from the BIS texsture maps.

Iknow what you mean about transfering maps but.... I just got those models relased by BIS icon_rolleyes.gif

Punisher5555

Hello and THX for your comments.

About that cover of the other nose sensor you are talking, I have to say that I haven't seen any picture of that removed. Not in helis on the ground or others flying... I suppose it doesn't use that laser you are talking about because it carries TOW missiles wich are TV guided... but If you really know this is removed prior combat.... I will take it out thumbs-up.gif

TOWs are not TV-guided. The are wire-guided.

The cover is kept on in peace time / non-combat / on the ground operations. It is for safety since the laser-range finder is not eye-safe.