Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Quote[/b] ]If you think that that texture would cut the mustard at any professional studio, I'm sorry to say that you are quite wrong.

Where did you read that exactly in my post?

Im saying that "some" of you take people's wips a bit too serious when it comes to "newer artist" types. Perhaps its more of how you say it than what you are saying. Yes, the rivets are larger, you busted that one wide open. tounge2.gif

I thought that doing the best possible art, perhaps even production quality, was a goal of most artists. Perhaps I am wrong.

But do you think that the ability of artists to render rivets of the appropriate size grows with the amount of time they are artists? That it's too much to ask new artists to take a look at the size of their rivets? Part of being an artist is training your eyes to see. Asking USSRSniper to take a look at his rivets will improve this model and all subsequent models that feature such details, if he cares about them. I'm not sure what you mean by 'how I say what I say'. I'm not sure how much more softly I need to say, "I think your rivets are too big. I don't know what it looks like in reality but they look too big to me". If you meant that I was being too harsh, maybe you can let him decide if he's insulted. I'm not trashing on his art. I just said that his rivets look too big to me. That was the first thing that I saw. They stuck out at me. I sure hope that someone would warn me if they saw something that stuck out so much to them in my art. Another part of learning how to do art is learning how to take criticism.

Quote[/b] ]If you think that that texture would cut the mustard at any professional studio, I'm sorry to say that you are quite wrong.

Where did you read that exactly in my post?

Im saying that "some" of you take people's wips a bit too serious when it comes to "newer artist" types. Perhaps its more of how you say it than what you are saying. Yes, the rivets are larger, you busted that one wide open.  tounge2.gif

I thought that doing the best possible art, perhaps even production quality, was a goal of most artists.  Perhaps I am wrong.

But do you think that the ability of artists to render rivets of the appropriate size grows with the amount of time they are artists? That it's too much to ask new artists to take a look at the size of their rivets?  Part of being an artist is training your eyes to see.  Asking USSRSniper to take a look at his rivets will improve this model and all subsequent models that feature such details, if he cares about them.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'how I say what I say'.  I'm not sure how much more softly I need to say, "I think your rivets are too big.  I don't know what it looks like in reality but they look too big to me".  If you meant that I was being too harsh, maybe you can let him decide if he's insulted.  I'm not trashing on his art.  I just said that his rivets look too big to me.  That was the first thing that I saw.  They stuck out at me.  I sure hope that someone would warn me if they saw something that stuck out so much to them in my art.  Another part of learning how to do art is learning how to take criticism.

VXR, thx for the picture, really helps, ones that i ahd you couldn't really see rivets clearly.

plaintiff1, i don't get why people think your criticism is too harsh. I'd rather hear it, because msot people is howed it jsut say its "good" and "amazing", but when you are just beginning to learn normal mapping and texturing, it doesn't really help.  whistle.gif And you are correct, i posted this image so people tell me what problems i have with the texture/model.

mc010m923oj8.jpg

A M923 5t truck in MERDC european winter camo

The Pack will also contain the M923A1 in CARC camo.

It would be nice to have the cloth parts a slightly different colour than the metal parts to really show a difference between the two materials. Coloured fabric and painted metal never look the same.

Quote[/b] ]I think your rivets are too big.  I don't know what the vehicle actually looks like

That is just...wow.

Even if they are, you know your knitpicking when....

icon_rolleyes.gif

The rivet issue isn't nitpicking. Those "Titanic" rivets

are a glaring error of scale and spoil the, otherwise very

commendable, work done on that vehicle. A glance at any

reference photo of the real vehicle shows that immediately.

Any modeller (whether of digital or real scale models) would

pick that up right away and suggest that it be improved.

I think that unless a poster qualifies any obviously

questionable elements (eg. "I know the rivets are a

bit "Jules Verne" just now but...") anything they post

in an image here is fair game for comments.

The reception that posters get here, in contrast to some of

the scathing criticism I used to get in my scale modelling

days (some of those guys really raised nitpicking to a

fine art), is a breath of fresh air;[largely] constructive

criticism, useful hints and tips and free advice from more

experienced practitioners.

Fair enough.

Just to clarify though...this comment

Quote[/b] ]I think your rivets are too big. I don't know what the vehicle actually looks like

just sounded like nonsense to me...what can I say.

I never said anything about it being too harsh or professional studio quality or whatever else this turned into.

Anyways, my bad for the offtopic.

smile_o.gif

The point was that all of those things are related, good art is in the details, and it's never too late or early to learn good proportion.

This is the WIP topic, no need to start arguing what comments are usefull and which are not.

The rivets you see on my images are not going to be on final model. Normal map is just early stage. Rivets are hand drawn in photoshop, i just didn't scale them down after applying nvidia normal map filter(never used normal mapping until ArmA). But ts WIP topic, you are supposed to post any problems noticed on WIP images even if you think that they are, instead of useless "amazing model comments".

vbs2small.jpg

Some VBS2 style SF guys I started working on.

I am also playing around with creating ARMA 2 sf guys. I'm not a modeler, just hacking things together and seeing what works :-)

Nice truck FischKopp! Really looking forward to seeing more of your work. Any progress on the Tarawa?

chally1render1bj8.jpg

Somet I've been spending an hour or so on, most weekends for the past few months. I'm doing it at a proper casual pace, so it may never reach a state where I put it in ArmA (So far, it only has one and a half LODs, and in addition, I'll have to learn to UV map).

Currently 15,146 triangles. I'm planning on modelling TOGS in the open position (dependant on if I want to make a Mk.1 or Mk.2), and re-doing the barrel and commander's hatch though, so the count may change. Messiah was kind enough to let me use some parts from UKF's WMIK (tools, GPMG etc). I'm thinking I might save a few polies by switching to some of the lower LODs he made for them but we'll see.

If anybody has some nice pics of the commander's cupola on Challenger 1 that they could give me, I'd appreciate it since I'm currently taking a bit of artistic license with it, particularly the GPMG mount.

I'll see if I can post a wireframe later.

Great looking Challenger, be nice to get that in game, need some more British kit smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think that the lanucher could use more polys. To be more precise the holes (tubes?) could be more detailed like 10 sides each. Other than that it looks pretty good. smile_o.gif

Here you can see the new resolution added to my missile launchers. Actually I created them with 9 sides instead of 10 because one thing plaintiff1 said...

Quote[/b] ]I'd go with the lowest res you can stand to look at. If you're using the bis model as guide, then you may be able to get away with 8 sides on those exhaust tubes. Typically I think an odd number of sides looks rounder than an even number because no edges are parallel, and when there is an even number of something, the human brain starts to group things.

029.jpg

At the back of the missile launcher there's a hole... do you think I should create it by modeling or a black texture will do it???

Quote[/b] ]Namreg,

That looks much better. You're well on your way to having an optimized game model.

There are a few places here and there I think you could change the flow and save a few polies and I think the launchers could use more geo at the muzzle and at the exhaust pipe. If you want me to do a bit of a paint over, I can do that for you.

For me its great plaintiff1, do whatever you wish if it doesn't take you much time... thumbs-up.gif

Namreg, one thing which came to my mind when i see your excellent model:

Have you thought about joining the ACE Mod?

Final verrsion of my units, but still wihout textures, everyone can help?

huh.gif  huh.gif

beztytuu4ib9.th.jpg

beztytuu3nc7.th.jpg

beztytuu2we1.th.jpg

beztytuuzp9.th.jpg

Nice truck FischKopp! Really looking forward to seeing more of your work. Any progress on the Tarawa?

No progress. I reorganized me. Instead to disperse my manpower I've created a "To Do List". LHA is ranking now, really on the bottom.

Next vehicle will be the LVTP7 and AAV7A1 in diffrent variants (C and R), but without EAAK armour. No modern version is planned.

Still WIP... "Titanic" rofl.gif

wipql2.jpg

Humvee Ambulance  nener.gif

All lods done, it even has siple interior where 4 WIA soldiers can lie down. Just need to finish the texture and normal map.

whats WIA soldiers? anyways it looks better! smile_o.gif

I love the specular and stuff it reminds me a bit about the bIs m113 ambulance and that makes me think of bright times somehow tounge2.gif

Hello again. Here there are some new pictures of my WIP thing biggrin_o.gif

I added the front visor which pivots as the gunner locks a target, just as the AH-1W one does and modified the missile launcher which weights 264 tris.

037.jpg

... a detailed look at the rear tail rotor

033_1041.jpg

The whole thing is 8469 tris... is this ok???

Quote[/b] ]Blue_Flight - Posted: May 07 2008,15:29

Namreg, one thing which came to my mind when i see your excellent model:

Have you thought about joining the ACE Mod?

I looked in the internet and that ACE Mod looks pretty nice... but I think they have very nice modelers with them. For now I only want to finish my helicopter and watch it flying in ArmA biggrin_o.gif

Namreg, that looks great. Sorry I didn't get back to you with that overpaint. My brain has been hurting.

As far as I can see that model looks good. I'm glad you toned down the mat on the inside. That had a lot of geo!

9k seems good. I don't think the bis lb is much less. Maybe you don't need the skids to be 2 polies wide but I'm not sure if you're defining some kind of shape there. Make sure everything's all nice and smooth and round, too. Keep at this, your progress is fantastic.

oh, some of the extrusions on your tail rotor feathering hinge can probably be be accomplished with textures, the pin there too, but 9k is not so bad. The lower the better, tho. And the tail rotor will be spinning a lot of the time anyway. Either way I think it looks good.

Really nice model, looks great, but here's my paintover:

lookseeqa8.jpg

1: No need for that extra cyl, you can texture that.

2. That hole can also be textured.

3. No need for these small bolts, texture will cover that, if it's ever going to be noticed, it's really small

4: No need for that extrusion/bump also.

5: You can make that into one box, no need for such small detail.

6: no need for that cyl.

The stuff in green: you could probably weld those verts back and save 16 polies nener.gif