Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

thanks for the links , 3dtotal's always been my first station to ask when i was fiddling arround with my high poly bmw m6 .

i made the head following an old character tut by ben mathis , maybe it was too old , considering next gen techniques ...

... for the polycount : yepp , i think i mentioned ít , it can be easily cut down , mainly because there are large parts of the basic body ( a soldier with just the ballistic vest) under the vest , plus , (as you guys mentioned ) unneeded loops on the head .

so , things to do : - make a new head (maybe ill just make a

balaklava head first and then try

another "naked" one )

- cut out polies that can not be seen

i also have a second basic body , with long sleeves and one other kind of pants for this buddy , also a second , different , tac vest is to follow , so expect some variations .

regards , max

edit:

i've just read through the thread and the pdf. and i must say that the mathematical approach can be considered a useful way of getting a nice meshflow ... now i just have to get that into practice ...

it's been a while since I've done anything for ArmA, but here's something: It's a texture edit of johnny's excellent Marine mod. I alpha'd out the groin guard thing, and tried to change the helmet texture. Next is maybe a fleece jacket, better helmet etc...

marine_edit1.jpg

it's just for personal use right now, because I haven't talked to johnny about anything.

Cheers.

it's been a while since I've done anything for ArmA, but here's something: It's a texture edit of johnny's excellent Marine mod. I alpha'd out the groin guard thing, and tried to change the helmet texture. Next is maybe a fleece jacket, better helmet etc...

[im]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/matthewbubbers/marine_edit1.jpg[/img]

it's just for personal use right now, because I haven't talked to johnny about anything.

Cheers.

oh well i prefer my original units. smile_o.gif

Well i know the StarGate Mod isn't everyones idea of a good time but is development does have its advantages; heres a WIP.

p90.jpg

I would love a P-90 in ArmA, but the problem is how the hell the soldier will hold the weapon.

He will blow up this left hand fingers. Maybe make the civ version (with the longer barrel) but it's not as cooler and it's not the StarGate's P-90.

True a civi version is not good. I'll see if i can move around the skeleton to sork out the grip.

lol in the series they switch between the locked sight and Triple rail varients; so i'm good either way.

Which versions of P-90 are?

There is one with iron sights, other with aimpoint, an ACU version? But a little pointless since the P-90 doesn't have too much precision.

Well i know the StarGate Mod isn't everyones idea of a good time but is development does have its advantages; heres a WIP.

The model seems decent enough. It's a shame it's going to look hella-shite in game with the way the soldiers animate.

Here is the basemesh project I'm working on. It's very near as complete as I'm going to make it. I think I will decrease the facial detail when I release it to discourage people from using this shitacular face.

It is being built to serve as a good enough start mesh for just about any human character. I suppose that the way it is currently, you could cut that in half to just he male side. I left geometry that could be turned into toes if the modeller wishes, edgeloops for short and long sleeved shirts, etc, and unneeded detail should be easy to remove because the model is 100 percent quads.

4502334512.jpg 4502334520.jpg

Let me know how you think it's coming along. If you wish to discuss the project in general (including its usefulness), let me know via PM. For now, let me know if there is any changes that I could make that would be better for ArmA modellers, since I have never actually attempted to put a model into ArmA before.

Let me know also if you need any closeups.

I'd suggest you drop the arms down to a 45 degree angle, this would reduce distortion in the shoulders when the character is animated.

really?

what happens if he raises the arms, eg for swimming?

i guess they wont distort..

the base looks fine, cept its way to maleish if want it to use for a general purpose.

as a male its ok, personally id make his legs a tad longer.

right now they look too short. your knee usually reaches nearly up your clavicle, with him it would just be near the nipple.

if you want to sculpt on him i sugget to add some more edges

specially around that large surface between the armpits and lower ribs.

also add sections to the arms and legs to get an overall equivalent pattern.

uneven polysizes are pain in the arse when sculpting.

also once youve sculpted it would be very easy to step back to the lowest res and use that as a game model

id suggest you to relax the whole mesh.

should be the easiest.

could you show is a close up of the face loops?

really?

what happens if he raises the arms, eg for swimming?

i guess they wont distort..

the base looks fine, cept its way to maleish if want it to use for a general purpose.

as a male its ok, personally id make his legs a tad longer.

right now they look too short. your knee usually reaches nearly up your clavicle, with him it would just be near the nipple.

if you want to sculpt on him i sugget to add some more edges

specially around that large surface between the armpits and lower ribs.

also add sections to the arms and legs to get an overall equivalent pattern.

uneven polysizes are pain in the arse when sculpting.

also once youve sculpted it would be very easy to step back to the lowest res and use that as a game model

id suggest you to relax the whole mesh.

should be the easiest.

could you show is a close up of the face loops?

Thanks for the input.

I think that the perspective distortion might be responsible for the short look of the legs. The mesh ought to have nearly perfect 7.5 head height proportion. I'm not bragging about how I'm a perfect artist, but I've measured and remeasured and had several more experienced artists than I look at the thing in the orthos. From his ankle to his inseam actually comes from his inseam to his chin. I'll include an ortho from the front with the other screens to prove to you that I'm awesome. wink_o.gif

What I intended to do with this mesh is release it to the community as a general base mesh so they can have a basis to make new units without needing to rely on ArmA's MLODs. Once I get the mesh in good shape, I'll start a thread about the project to discuss the needs of mod makers and how useful something like this would be. I'm developing this in parallel with a character for my reel.

In the meantime I'll start evening up the edgeloops while trying to retain the structure I have in there.

PS. Zbrush makes me want to give up CG for ever. Alt+click, release alt, drag. confused_o.gif

4514343550.jpg 4514343599.jpg

4514343585.jpg

@Surpher, I'll be modelling the arms at about half the possible range of motion. The end users of this model can pose them however they feel ArmA will rig them best.

ah yea.

was the perspective.

i remember ive had a similar project some years ago.

its been called the UAP, however ive dropped it, since there werent any people whod really could make use of it other than make silly nude mods....

heres a lil paint over

try to get some more continuity into your mesh even if its mid-poly.

also id bevel the ears 1-2 times to mimic the helix et.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9506/4514343550yt0.jpg

heres a general "flowline" based on a human musculature, bonestructure and wrinkles.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9459/14509ate2.jpg

i usually base my heads on something like this.

yea i know bout zbrush. its a program for masochists made by sadists prolly on 1st of april..

give mudbox a spin smile_o.gif

What is the expert opinion on the construction of the BIS

example ArmA figure model? Is it good, bad, indifferent? Any

remarkably good (or bad) features?

ZBrush? Mudbox? Bah, I hates you all! biggrin_o.gif  "Oxygen FTW!"...

...Oops! I meant to type "Oxygen WTF!?"

What is the expert opinion on the construction of the BIS

example ArmA figure model? Is it good, bad, indifferent? Any

remarkably good (or bad) features?

ZBrush? Mudbox? Bah, I hates you all! biggrin_o.gif "Oxygen FTW!"...

...Oops! I meant to type "Oxygen WTF!?"

Hahaha!

In my opinion they seem professionally done. They have triangles all over the place which is common in game models. Their faces are a little low res but they're alright.

In terms of their subject matter, the americans are a little skinny making their uniforms appear tighter than they are on average.

As a professional I would shoot to do a better job (because professional development is all about surpassing what has been done in the past), as a student, I'm still coming to terms with what's optimal and they seem to do the job rather nicely, as an amateur I would use them as a basis in a heartbeat.

edit: I should add that it's been a while since i looked at the models... and also that I'm not a professional, but one in training.

Here's the latest version of the Character model. I totally redid its face trying to incorporate a number of things Neph, my professors, and a book called 'Creative Essence: The Face'. I highly recommend finding it and giving it a read. There is some amazing information in there. I also edited the body but not as massively. While i was working with one of my profs I put in a bunch of deformation edge loops that can probably be greatly simplified, as his expertise is in high quality production as opposed to game modelling. I took the upper body and the arms in a bit in the normal direction (like a push modifier, in Maya it's part of the move tool for vertices). Hopefully it looks slightly more androgynous now. I will have to wait to move any further in that direction until I'm finished my character (and reel).

4803434632.jpg 4803431070.jpg

Click on the pics for a convoluted path to a full sized version.

the moth still doesnt follow the musculature smile_o.gif

mouth and eyes are one big ring muscle each.

your mesh prolly wont have probs but id like to point that out anyway tounge2.gif

Nephilim do you have any good advice for a zbrush newbie on basic face modeling? tounge2.gif learning zbrush in school atm and have a assignment for monday and also zbrush crashes all the time and drives me crazy and the controls and interface is horrible crazy_o.gif

My Polish soliders (wihout textures)

modelrr0.th.jpg

Other models

solider 1

onierz1na7.th.jpg

solider 2

onierz2tk5.th.jpg

officer

oficerbh6.th.jpg

PS: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   banghead.gif

WIPRED.jpg

I allways work on the Hurricane and now on the Redoutable.

@Inkompetent

So if your modding the cobra to have dual rocket pods...

Have you also thought of making dual hellfire racks? crazy_o.gif

Because those weapons are used the most and if they are all gone to make somebody misserable. Then you find yourself in a situation where you cannot really defend yourself from ground units like shilkas. Or attack ground units without getting close enough for them to open fire with say an HMG.

16 hellfires would be sweet. Ive never seen the cobra in that configuration on pictures I must say, and I dont know if it would

be perhaps too heavy for the aircraft. But for this game it would be

very nice! thumbs-up.gif