Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Quote[/b] ]DMarkwick Posted on Jan. 29 2008,15:47

Sorry I'm not seeing that rule or description anywhere. It's a work in progress thread. I wish people would stop telling everyone else what it is & isn't, what can & cannot be shown. And the post wasn't posted so some can help finetune it thanks.

Well you are correct Adam (Skull) didn't add a topic description or more rules. In the end his is no longer allowed to post ( icon_rolleyes.gif wasn't their a new forum coming witch would wipe peoples 'history'wink_o.gif...

Anyway, well feel free to post your project without people can help. In your case i would say...simply make your own topic where peolpe can happely complain and troll about what the 'real' vaules and effect are wink_o.gif (no offence meant mate, just picking up where it useally runs into.

Quote[/b] ]DMarkwick Posted on Jan. 29 2008,15:47

Sorry I'm not seeing that rule or description anywhere. It's a work in progress thread. I wish people would stop telling everyone else what it is & isn't, what can & cannot be shown. And the post wasn't posted so some can help finetune it thanks.

Well you are correct Adam (Skull) didn't add a topic description or more rules. In the end his is no longer allowed to post ( icon_rolleyes.gif wasn't their a new forum coming witch would wipe peoples 'history'wink_o.gif...

Anyway, well feel free to post your project without people can help. In your case i would say...simply make your own topic where peolpe can happely complain and troll about what the 'real' vaules and effect are wink_o.gif (no offence meant mate, just picking up where it useally runs into.

LOL, no offense taken really smile_o.gif I just get annoyed that someone working on their first addon can post up their WIP plans for something as per the thread purpose and other people instantly piss on their strawberries for the most imagined of reasons smile_o.gif

But hey - AcoG can open up a new thread for the purpose of announcement just like anyone else can, but then why does this thread exist?

Cheers :beer:

wow some people must find it hard on the toilet ...... with a whole human head stuck up the ass.

screens of wip's or jog on

wow some people must find it hard on the toilet ...... with a whole human head stuck up the ass.

screens of wip's or jog on

So how is someone supposed to post a screenie of a config based addon?

And yeah - please take your head outta my ass.

@DMarkwick

where you from?

ill visit you and help you getting your head out of your a$§

itll be painfull tho and no

no sedatives.. wink_o.gif

if someone makes a cfg based "addon".... well..

post the cfg here?.. dont see any problem

we wont rip your head off.

well not that quickly XD

lets dig out a dead horse!

forthe sake of everyone, even for the dyslexic and ones whos english isnt that good.

> show pictures of models, terrain, textures, scripts cfg etc etc you are working on

> do NOT! just show pictures of your addon in a screenshot manner. all we can say from these they look nice.. does that help you? not in a single way.. we have other threads for this! bulldozer pics look just as good.

> modellers should post in-application screen grabs of the models wireframe, the shaded/textured model, its animations (if made custom) and textures (can have watermarks)

>texturers may post their texture assets (scaled down, watermarked, whatever)

>terrain dudes post your editor pics, textures and models (if custom). Ingame pictures are acceptable if they are neutral!

MEANS! no fancy photochop enrichment, no fancy sundowns! plain standart editor daytime!

>scripters/cfgs may post their scripts and cfgs here on a code/snippet basis AND! if its necessary an ingame picture or video (eg if youre doing some fancy debris script) but again not altered/enriched with post production.

the purpose of this particular thread is to give advise to the folks who are new to this or for people who want to get critics and comments on how to improve their stuff.

if you post cool screenshots of ingame action we cant really make a comment on the funtionality, optimization (and so on.. ) and hence would render this thread pointless....

now stop being stupid and stop posting omg l337 h4X!

if youve got nothing constructive to say id suggest just stay away for the same of our sanity

just my 2 cent

everyones busy now!

whip_it.gif

*self righteous crap*

Oh well another one who has definite ideas what people are "allowed" to post in a WIP thread. Guess we need a WIP thread especially for people who do not require screenshots? Would that please you? Would it comply with your imaginary rules?

Tell you what - I'll keep out of public discussion threads if you lot stop discussing my ass amongst yourselves. It's not..... manly.

*sigh*

thats your decision..

that discussion isnt new its been here before.

if youd at least try to understand what ive just written you wouldnt mock around...

browse the first pages.

as already said we have other treads for "showing off".

you can post here in this thread if you want advice and comments about your model or whatso ever.

most things arent evident from a signle screen shot made at 6am ingame with deepshadows from 50 meters distance..

at a resolution of 1024*768...

could you tell me for any "ingame screenshot" posted here if a models mesh topolgy i coherent, has a flow and is optimized?

no

can you tell from a "ingame screenshot" if a texture is well used in terms of uv space, size and detail?

no

and to be honest i havent got the slightest interest bout your bossom. it was just a joke hence the smily...

but it seems youre just having a bad day and acting like a small child whose sucker has been taken away..

*self righteous crap*

Oh well another one who has definite ideas what people are "allowed" to post in a WIP thread. Guess we need a WIP thread especially for people who do not require screenshots? Would that please you? Would it comply with your imaginary rules?

Tell you what - I'll keep out of public discussion threads if you lot stop discussing my ass amongst yourselves. It's not..... manly.

Here's a thought, DMarkwick, make your own thread about your project and there you can post whatever you like. You can tell us how excited we should be about your upcoming jeep, and keep us baited with all kinds of descriptions of how it will be one day. It will be awesome.

Whoo boy, more rule breaking in here than I've seen in a long time... Everything from questioning moderator decisions to flame baiting.

How about the thread gets locked for 48 hours while you guys chill out? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Thread locked for 48 hours.

Here are a couple of shots of a Schützenpanzer Marder I'm working on.  Brutal, nasty, vicious crits, please.  If you wish for more shots of certain areas, I can get them for you.

3123312915.jpg

3123312916.jpg

paintovers

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7744/3123312915xb1.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6132/3123312916bo0.jpg

model is nifty plaintiff

just needs some optimization.

dont hesitate to use tris wherever you can to keep the polycount low.

also kick all verts you dont need.

specially those created in the middle of cylinders caps (maya sucks with that XD)

@[AIF] Kris

your post was sure damn helpful...

wow_o.gifwow_o.gif Is that a rearwards facing turret aswell? On the back of the crew compartment?

Nice vehicle, I like the ofp one allot. With a second turret is going to be very interesting for urban areas.

I havent seen that ever, what exact version of the marder is this? And also how many degrees can the 2nd weapon traverse? Very wow_o.gif Goes off to google this thing...

I took the liberty of editing nephs picture, please do not hurt me:

47068914ii6.jpg

damit...

is this WIP? no..

dont post youtube videos here for pure promotion..

if the original authors want to post their wips they can do

but you should refrain from doing that if you dont create this on your own..

this thread isnt a shoutbox...

As Nephilim said, this thread is solely for discussing WIP stuff. neither is this an advertisement thread for mods nor the place for discussing personal affairs.

Stay on topic!

Excellent paint overs, thank you very much.  I'm going to address the question marks in your comments, in case they aren't rhetorical smile_o.gif  I also have some questions.

Nephlim:

Segment Needed?  I'm debating whether or not to extrude out this inner part of the wheel (I'm not sure what you call it, I hope you know what I'm talking about).  It looks like there's a traffic cone coming out of the inner part of the wheel.  You see it a lot on the wheels of trucks.  I'm keeping that edgeloop around in case I decide I want it.

Needed?  I was modelling the hull as mirrored instances.  The central dorsal edgeloop will disappear when I join them.  I like to keep it around until last, though, because it provides me with a surface landmark.

What's this for?  That edgeloop is needed on the other side of the turret where the vision blocks are and at the back.  I carried it on to that point because it quads out the triangle at the front there.

How would I better put the hatch on the right side of the turret on there?

Wipman:

Here you go!

3216480522.jpg

Also, I have bottoms on all of those pieces that are stuffed through or hovering over the body of the tank.  The hatches and vision block, for instance.  Is there any reason for me not to kill those faces?

edit: Also note that I am planning on generating a normal map partially by taking a high definition version of the model, so some of those bevels and extrusions will not appear on the final lowpoly geo.

i can do paint overs too ^_^

anyways, there are quite a areas that can be simplified.

i thought i would help out too.

if i could get a view from the other side of this, i could likely remove the center line on the exsaust vent, i cant see how it looks on the other side.

3303142030.jpg

@plaintiff

alright

i guess for a hipoly version you can keep the structure.

actually youd better be off adding more edgeloops (in a seperate edit poly modifier) around the edges to get a "hard beveld edge" after applying turbosmooth.

then onse youve finished it you can simply delete the turbo smooth and the editable poly mod. to get rid of those edges and there you go you have your low poly.

Quote[/b] ]Segment Needed? I'm debating whether or not to extrude out this inner part of the wheel (I'm not sure what you call it, I hope you know what I'm talking about). It looks like there's a traffic cone coming out of the inner part of the wheel. You see it a lot on the wheels of trucks. I'm keeping that edgeloop around in case I decide I want it.

aye

Quote[/b] ]Needed? I was modelling the hull as mirrored instances. The central dorsal edgeloop will disappear when I join them. I like to keep it around until last, though, because it provides me with a surface landmark.

roger. remember to loose this edge once you reduce it to the low poly model. saves you 4 triangles.

Quote[/b] ]What's this for? That edgeloop is needed on the other side of the turret where the vision blocks are and at the back. I carried it on to that point because it quads out the triangle at the front there.

try to terminate that loop far quicker (> into tris)

they dont seem to have a purpose on the front and thus dont have a right to exist biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]How would I better put the hatch on the right side of the turret on there?

id suggest you to crank up the sides segments so that the seam between the tower and turrent doesnt look that jagged.

also connecting both might be an idea.

Quote[/b] ]Also, I have bottoms on all of those pieces that are stuffed through or hovering over the body of the tank. The hatches and vision block, for instance. Is there any reason for me not to kill those faces?

you can delete unseen faces on both versions (aka open geometry).

the arma engine can handle that no prob.

btw you dont have to model everything for the high poly.

a general thumb rule is that if its smaller than ~1 inch

dont care to model it and leave it for photoshop.

@dynamax

the centerline is defniately not needed for the exhaust.

also that negative extrusion can be leftout if youre short on poly.

normal maps to the rescue!

Thanks again for your input Nephilim, Wipman and Dynamax! This thread and its contributors are outstanding. I shall make all the changes you have suggested on the low-poly version. The suggestions you have made regarding the topology are extremely helpful. I'll keep going on it and I'll post some more wips in a bit so you can see how I'm doing if you're interested.