Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

good boy

*pet*

suggestion:

i see that you sort of extruded/beveled those segments on the barrel.

make those parts seperate segments

and just "pull" them over the main barrel.

this will save you quite some polys you could invest in the main wheels..

which atm look quite chunky

If i do so it will give some stretch polygons (more than 6 points)

so lightning problems and will be more long for unwrapping

i rather like it in quads , and for the polycount i have 12 k quads of budget ,here im only at 3k

i think this is what nephilim is refering to.

just make the main barrel one smooth cylinder, then add floating geometry like in my picture. best way to reduce poly count for cylinders

27614011658.jpg

@ 'the barrel': Yup face saver, but depends if he wanted a barrel with a hole in it so you can look in the barrel itself. But still the main barrel can be one 'streched' cilinder, and:

1. Simply keep the current additional cilinders (with the hole in it).

2. Use closed cilinders and map them with an alpha hole, at least the faces to the front as the back ones won't be visible anyway (this can be applied to 1 for the faces pointing to the back).

SO you can mix it, but fact is this as a part with room for optimazition so you can use the extra faces somewhere else smile_o.gif.

EDIT: same goes for the wheels, no need to 'connect' the inner cilinder their. Even in case it is not flat...it will be pretty hard to spot anyway.

Meh, since I can't get ArmA to run more than 20mins at the most before crashing, I'm modeling alot. SInce completing the lovely World in Conflict campaign there hasn't been anything worthwhile to play. And all this leads to alot of pictures spammed here:

render11sav1.jpg

render11wiremu0.jpg

Yes.. wireframes. Tear me a new one, please crazy_o.gifhelp.gif

I still have some interior modeling to do, weapons, details like lights and stairs. But i inevitable appoach the uvmapping and texturing phase. What is the usual dimensions for this kind of chopper in ArmA?

I'm thinking one 2048*2048 for the heli itself, but i probably need another 1024 for the cockpit? Is this too much?

Quote[/b] ]I'm thinking one 2048*2048 for the heli itself, but i probably need another 1024 for the cockpit? Is this too much?

right choice. textures up tp 2048*2048 are supported wink_o.gif check bis models if you are not sure

I believe having 2 of those textures for one model is ok, try to have a interior texture (low res) merged with the exterior texture for the view from outside into the cockpit and a seperate texture when beeing in the cockpit that is more detailed.

For the barrel i also can cut it in two parts at the outbarrel

With the correct animation you won't see the missing hole of polygones

i first want to see when i finish to do all object how many polgone i used ,so after i will give more resolution to some pieces

actual 4.3k

[ig]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5821/53244212pf9.jpg[/img

wire9sn5.jpg

while i'm getting deeper in modelisation ,i started to think about how boring will be the unwrap whistle.gif

@DigitalCenturion,

that's what I think:

correctionslv5.th.jpg

you could have saved faces by reducing the quality of the rotor's plain blades...

some other things, it's too early to say you are lacking a huge bunch of parts on havoc, but i gues it'll get more detailed shape...

Keep it up wink_o.gif

P.S. i'll try to send you that video about Mi-28 somehow...

Also notice somethign on the drawing that not many know, the Mi-28 has a little extra door on the side where he can store some ammo or 2 pilots from another downed chopper.

We had that in the never released OFP one.

@Shadow NX,

yeah, i know that door under the engine exhaust...

@DigitalCenturion,

now me and my brother are saving all photos not available for everyone's search eye, it'll be like a photo walk around wink_o.gif

btw, uploading the video now...

Wasnt aimed at you Gedis but the maker of the Havoc cause on the model it seems the door isnt there.

But its a detail thats easy to miss.

i thought those doors are for some kind of engine repairs, where have you read that it's for ammo or for 2 people evac?

yeah, i know that you aimed not to me tounge2.gif

btw, it could be very usefull if we all would share all our inteligence to help out DigitalCenturion(info, technical data, pictures, paint schemes, drawings). Shall WE?

Good question as it was years ago when i heard about it, well feel free to correct me there as my knowledge is bit limited on anything that flies.

However it wouldnt be a too bad idea to have some space for this case, reminds me of the pics where or pilots? had to ride on a AH-64 that rescued them.

Similar pic

I have just started modelling and thanks to diversant and jewish hammer I learned something, my first thingy that I will try gettin ingame will be a bunker with camonet, for now I have the bunker and camonet, but it seems kinda empty.

tell me what to improve smile_o.gif

50131249ug5.png

12549973hh4.png

What? That's a camonet? I think you have to work a bit harder tounge2.gif

But i like bunkers, please continue. And you should add some details. Not only the bunker structure. Also make the camonet bigger, so the bunker will be closed with this net. wink_o.gif

@Kristian: A wireframe would be welcomed..anyway, i guess it is obvious how it was made.

I might suggest to made it a more or less 'closed' construction, instead of boxes.

12549973hh4.jpg

It will look smoother (depending on how you made your current construction), but also will be easier to texture imho.

You might also have a look regarding how to properly use 'sharp-smooth' on the edges.

20726027qu0.png

15302443iu4.png

Some updates..

The bunker will be olive green, or grey with desert camos.

the camonet is supposed to have camouflage on it. not holes tounge2.gif

now I know that sounds lazy but C'mon, my first project biggrin_o.gif

Soo, no inside has table with sahranis map and a chair.

some sandbags filling thefirehole. hope you like this xmas_o.gif

Looking good but I highly recommend you use U and I to shade things as they should be for one, lighting can really make things look good or bad.

Simply select the boxes or whatever surface would be flat and press U, for smooth press I, you'll be surpised at the difference.

Also try to make a few adjustments to the mesh so certain parts aren't going "through" eachother, otherwise not bad for a first smile_o.gif

i highly recommend you kristan to heartly follwo those suggestions dasquade and xnodunitx gave.

you dont have to scrap that particular model youve made

but instead use it as a geo-lod for instance.

but for the resoultion lods this wont look very good

modeling with just primitves is ok as long as they dont clip and they are alligned well

but your model has some heavy clipping issues (see the stairs)

dont make modelsparts that have the same length or width intersect. youll get some really bad flickering ingame and in bulldozer.

dont get us wrong we just want to help you to improve your model smile_o.gif

weve all been there, had the same problems smile_o.gif

keep it up

you dont have to scrap that particular model youve made

but instead use it as a geo-lod for instance.

I love this phrase rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Yes, follow the suggestion people made and maybe someday you will become the pro!

However it wouldnt be a too bad idea to have some space for this case, reminds me of the pics where or pilots? had to ride on a AH-64 that rescued them.

Similar pic

That picture shows the British Royal Marine Commandos who found that one of their men was left behind in an assault on the Taliban, they mounted the WAH-64 and went back to retrived his body.

Heros in my book.

Why aren't any of you people making buildings? You wanna run around on custom islands with the same boring default ArmA houses? confused_o.gif