Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

3ds import supports smoothing groups.

yea oxygen is kinda odd with that.

just select vertices that form an edge and press U or was it I? to make them sharp if

watch for verts that form and edge that you want to stay smooth. dont select all of the verts/edges you want to make sharp at once. this wont work

DS - It's essentially the same as the new British MWMIK, although as far as I am aware, we haven't yet mounted anything in the rear - just the front facing weapon and the ring mount.

thee may of course be a few subtle differences, given that the actual WMIK modifications are being done my DML, not SUPACAT for the UK version, so it will be rather unique in some ways. In the UK version they use the same ring mount as they do for the current Land Rover WMIKs - if the same is the case for the Danish one, then I have plenty of reference for that.

According to this picture we seem to be fitting a big 50 in the back. http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i....362.jpg

Do be aware though it looks photoshoped.

Edit: Found a more reliable pair from DML showing only two mounted weapons. http://www.mod.uk/NR....MIK.JPG

http://www.army-technology.com/features/feature_images/dvd/2-mwmik.jpg

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/8418/p6280700ht2.jpg

This picture shows an armoured version, interesting.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/forum_p....003.jpg

the first is indeed a photoshop - the others are real - as I said, front mount and ring mount weapons for the british - nothing rear facing so far - more likely to put a squaddie with his personal there.

@Neph: True about the optimizations. As topic, very early WIP and since i more or less hit the virtual limite some optimizations will need to be done. I also more or less agree especially on the cockpit details, atm only modelled them as how they should be for driver/codriver view. Suppose 2d version will be used in res lod.

Regarding the tires, indeed here your technique would be helpfull and could be applied imho. I just used an older model of simular tires i made in the past. Especially the spare tires could benefit from it, but maybe also the mounted tires in several steps.

@Dynamax: I never had much experience with smooth groups in other programs (as i never bodered to learn it in those programs). But like said, normally O2 will now import smoothgroups aswell.

Since i don't actually know how differently the smooth works in other programs, but afaik by default everything is sharp and smooth needs to be given.

In O2 it is more or less the other way around. Meaning, i personnaly start with selecting the model and hit smooth, and then work on the edges (or faces, but in the end it is actually an edge that gets the value) that needs sharp values. But like Neph mentioned, you can't simply select all your 'to be sharped' edges in once..at least depends on model and how your edges make out the faces. Once you master that, imho it is a very flexible system imho.

Depending on the model again, it most of the times is best to select your edges in planar views instead of perspective, sometimes it is tricky but if you know your model a bit and how it works (in the end it is sharp only you need to apply after your smoothed the model first).

Like for your model, i think in 6 selection steps you can correct the entire model wink_o.gif .

1. Go front view, select the two horitontal ris bars...sharpen.

2. Now same but vertical ris bars..sharpen.

3. Go to side view..select the holes, but make sure you every time leave out one hole between the next and go back to front view and unselect the inner vertexes of the holes..sharpen.

4. Same as step 3 but unselect the outer vertexes of the holes.

5. Same as step 3/4 but the other holes.

6. Select the front and back edges of the model and sharpen.

PS: Your model could be much more optimized by the way. If wanted i can draw what can be fixed.

According to this picture we seem to be fitting a big 50 in the back. http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i....362.jpg

Do be aware though it looks photoshoped.

Edit: Found a more reliable pair from DML showing only two mounted weapons. http://www.mod.uk/NR....MIK.JPG

http://www.army-technology.com/features/feature_images/dvd/2-mwmik.jpg

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/8418/p6280700ht2.jpg

This picture shows an armoured version, interesting.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/forum_p....003.jpg

very cool vehicle, cant wait to virtually try it out... notworthy.gif

predator_emsi_and_pochyst_3.jpg

predator_emsi_and_pochyst_2.jpg

predator_emsi_and_pochyst_1.jpg

predator_emsi_and_pochyst_4.jpg

Complete new AddOn of <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>UAV Predator</span>

- reconnaissance modification RQ-1

- in future is planned armed modification MQ-1A ("M" - "multi-role") with AGM-114 Hellfire or bombs

- my great outstanding thanks for help belong to pochyst

Now is completed for approx. 89% emsi_salute.gif

3ds import supports smoothing groups.

yea oxygen is kinda odd with that.

just select vertices that form an edge and press U or was it I? to make them sharp if

watch for verts that form and edge that you want to stay smooth. dont select all of the verts/edges you want to make sharp at once. this wont work

thanks for the reply, but im still having problems.

i know that importing .3ds saves the smoothing information, but now for reason the model gets chewed up and some points are missings. it also seems to merge random parts together.

on the otherhand, if i import from .obj format, its looks fines, only that it doesnt seem to have the smoothing info.

its no wonder BI takes a while to make anything.

DOOM3 models are in .lwo format and a snap to modify in LightWave.

EMSI: I'm waiting for Neph to slap you on the head whistle.gif . I mean, this isn't the show-off topic, but more the provide us info on your WIP, like wireframe or at least a polygon figuar etc....

As for the renders, looking very good. Can i ask who made it...

Model looks sweet, only the smoothness is off (lower) compaired to the rest of the model imho. Also you forgot the fuel inlet on the top wink_o.gif. Also more or less missing the exhaust or don't know what it is called in the back (top side, just before the props..witch is "animated" afaik).

The back tail fin is also a tat too long, unless this is an other model then what i have reference pictures of, as i don't recall those two caps on the back on top near air inlet).

Dynamax: I might want to 'reset Xform' in max before importing.

PS: BIS models aren't always the optimized as you would think wink_o.gif. In the end it are people like you and me (but overall more skilled i guess smile_o.gif). It is mostly the time factor that kills it...

Where is written something like "no renders or WIP pic in this topic" ? whistle.gif

Original model was my, but pochyst helps me with her outstanding practice.

.. and on reference pics we don't see any fuel inlet on the top (?) wink_o.gif

EDIT: example picture

EMSI: I'm waiting for Neph to slap you on the head  whistle.gif . I mean, this isn't the show-off topic, but more the provide us info on your WIP, like wireframe or at least a polygon figuar etc....

As for the renders, looking very good. Can i ask who made it...

Model looks sweet, only the smoothness is off (lower) compaired to the rest of the model imho. Also you forgot the fuel inlet on the top wink_o.gif. Also more or less missing the exhaust or don't know what it is called in the back (top side, just before the props..witch is "animated" afaik).

The back tail fin is also a tat too long, unless this is an other model then what i have reference pictures of, as i don't recall those two caps on the back on top near air inlet).

Dynamax: I might want to 'reset Xform' in max before importing.

PS: BIS models aren't always the optimized as you would think wink_o.gif. In the end it are people like you and me (but overall more skilled i guess smile_o.gif). It is mostly the time factor that kills it...

dude, thank you.

now i can import the other components.

Sorry to spam this again, but after seeing others vehicles here, i'm starting to wonder if I have normal mapped the wrong things.  Here is the wire frame, what i'm wondering is, should I of normal mapped the cables/gear on the main hull?  It is 8,400 (after I lowered it from higher poly) with that stuff on and 5,900 without.  Any suggestions on how I modeled it are very welcome also, as i'm sure there are alot of newb mistakes.  Thanks for any help in advance  smile_o.gif

Edit: Thanks for help DaSquade.

@emsi

no one said youre not allowed to post shaded renders here..

but posting them alone doesnt really help to improve your model....

get it?

Yes wink_o.gif

But pics have a small description and I thanks to DaSquade for some comments. Unfortunately they can't help us anyway with some improvements on model.

Complete new AddOn of

- reconnaissance modification

- in future is planned armed modification MQ-1A ("M" - "multi-role") with AGM-114 Hellfire or bombs

- my great outstanding thanks for help belong to

Now is completed for approx. 89%  

She looks beautiful inlove.gif

EMSI: Like Neph explained smile_o.gif . In the end a render can look superb, but model build can be a disaster (or way to high poly then needed etc). That is why Skull made this topic afaik...Since i only had a render to look at, i could only point out to the flaw regarding dimensions, parts, smoothness etc.

Again,. we don't want to break down your stuff, we just want to advice where we can and at the same time learn for our selfs.

Fact is there seams to be the trend to import what ever that can be found on the net (3ds models etc), but we can't forget this is a game and if we want to enjoy the game (-> good performence, no screenshot program) we all need to ensure we do our best importing an as good as possible optimized model and texture. That is why the wireframes and polycount is a good start.

Regarding my suggested fixes on the flaws on your model (ps: this isn't meant to break down your model, just to improve it), you might want to have a look at this:

rq-1_040120-f-9629j-021.jpg

Or this is a fuel cap, or someone did a very skilled photoshop wink_o.gif .

Also:

hirez_phell_443.jpg

Sometimes pictures can't lie wink_o.gif and no need to blame perspective as they are in the same line (depth) wink_o.gif .

If you want references of the other parts i mentioned let me know and i go private (PM).

The reason i go into this is i made an predator in the past and studied it pretty long, so even it has been awhile, some things you don't forget.

Good luck.

Still looking forward to a wire tounge2.gif .

Bracken: 2500 polys in difference is a big amount (but normal), but if your model is 8.400 poly in total i personally would leave it 3d as the total poly count is reasonable imho and sometimes a normal map just can't replicate that 3d detail.

I'm more wondering if the main body of the tank really needs those extra segments (verticaly). Same goes for the skurts (side and front).

Thanx for a lot of info wink_o.gif

Check your PM.

Regards.

Does that new WMIK fit into a Chinook?

the land rovers are 1.79m wide as per real life - chinook is what, 2.05m wide? Think it will fit smile_o.gif

(that assumes of course that the mounted weapon is... ermm... un mounted)

Will the recon plane be controllable fro ground like real ones?

I remember the UAV from FDF mod, sweet. smile_o.gif

No it won't be controllable from ground.

Primary is designed as AI unit. But in use as player, you may control him like standard plane.

Thanx for info ... a years ago I had FDF mod in OFP but I don't remember any UAV there.

Now I'm downloading them and look into scripts for some inspirations wink_o.gif