Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

scopes on vehicle mounted weapons should be lower..

guys next one who just posts a render/dozer screen gets his ass smacked...

wink_o.gif

It would be really useless especially in my case because there's so much stuff on the model that you won't be able to see anything wink_o.gif

...well, for the next time...which viewports are the best for showing wireframe? I mean, front, side, back, 3D....?

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]copes on vehicle mounted weapons should be lower..

I'm quite happy where it is right now - think my dozer screen has been pulled out of skew, and the angle the screen was taken at doesn't help. It's in the correct place, I assure you.

Quote[/b] ]guys next one who just posts a render/dozer screen gets his ass smacked...

kinky... what else do you require then whistle.gif - I detest O2 wireframes - you may as well be looking at a jumble of black lines drawn by a 4 year old.

I think there's a backface culling thing that you can turn on that makes it easier to see things.

i join up with mehman

just expand the perspective view.

you can also separate your model if its too messy..

or switch on wireframe on shaded.

honestly

otherwise this threat is basically without purpose..

it's really not very good, and on the projected wire frame it does very little noticable difference - it's still a jumble of wire.

Quote[/b] ]otherwise this threat is basically without purpose..

que?

sorry messiah about the scope with lower i mean the polycount smile_o.gif

well its a WIP threat meant to improve youve models.

just looking at dozer snapshots doest really allow people to help to improve the meshes.

you could post in the screenshots thread instead then

ah yes - I know, the scope is currently 700 or so polys, which is a little insane for a 1st LOD

i'm not doubting the idea, not at all, even the best professional modelers learn new things, tricks, tips every day. It's just I don't think that O2 wires are all that easy to understand.

wmikwire.jpg

even with face culling, it's just as messy in my opinion. At any rate, I'm still toying with the aspect of floating objects, or mesh integration. I.E. integrating objects into the mesh makes for a cleaner model, but on the other hand it requires more faces to achieve.

Well, something can be seen. The anetnnas seem a bit high poly compared to the wheels. Not a lot, just a bit. Could we get a close up on that pretty please?

they're 50 faces a piece, hardly a ball buster smile_o.gif the rear faces showing through makes it look like its double as much - not sure why I didn't turn off back faces - looked the same, so couldn't really tell tounge2.gif

Ah. Looked like a 30 sided cly. Well confusion fixed, model awsome.

the new oxygen even allows you to display the wire frame ON the shaded model.

just hit hte shaded box and then a new one for the wireframed option will be activated..

or maybe seperate it into several lods. and post them seperately

the tires looks pretty cool so far smile_o.gif

a technique to save some polys on the innerpart of the wheels would be like this:

i hope you understand what i try to depict.

your current segment consists of basically just quads.

means 2 tris per quad (dead polys) if youd sum that up you can see that you could punch out some more poly for vital parts.

since those rims cant be really seen from the side but rather in a perpendicular way + the normal map will cover it up anyway

optimlj5.th.jpg

might look irrelevant at first sight.

but if you keep optimizing your model you can put some more detail into other parts.

for instance making the wheels rounder or or adding more jerrycans, tied up camo netting what so ever

lol mehman - after all I said about backfacing, it bites me in the ass biggrin_o.gif I can see how it looks a hell of a lot more

neph - I see what you're getting at - tis a good point - will go have a play optimising it now. I noticed the shaded box with wire on top - Still not overly keen on it, but each to their own.

thanks for the tip - now back to watching Goodfellas pistols.gif

interesting advice there neph.

i am just starting some wheels myself and i am following the bis example.

can you see a problem with this , Before i make the wheels in this manner ?

quadsiq1.jpg

I agree your tire technique is good and allow more optimized model, BUT imho it doesn't equal the quality (smoothness) of it. I mean this would be a nice technique IF the inner and outer circle would have a bigger distance between them then in a tire tread. Ok, it is an 'inner' circle with is less noticable then an outer circle..but still.

About the wire/shader. Well the principle is good, sad it doesn't always render it good (holes at certain angles)..so not always ideal.

Messiah: can i ask what the amount of segments the rollbar is made out? Just asking as i have an simular car (supacat) in development, and i overdid it i think sad_o.gif (from 16 to 12 atm, think 8 will need to be max.).

Facecount looks ok imho, especially for an 'open' car with rollbars and dual weapon system plus kit.

Anybody knows by the why what the maximum vertexes are to be shown in buldozer? Just wondeirng as my model currently has +15k and i get 'too many vertexes' error :s.

OFP2: I 'hope' that is a drawing and not the model, because if my eyes are good there is already some deformation in it smile_o.gif. Might want to post a perspective pic aswell if you want, would make the double segments easier to understand imho (but i suppose it is the rim). But this doesn't show us the backside wink_o.gif. Notice Messiahs tire, it doesn't have a detailed rim on the back (flat after tire curve), witch is imho a good thing. Regarding the amount of segments (roundness) on the tire, i personally go for 24, instead of 16 and even 32 for 'truck' tires, but that is personal tast smile_o.gif.

Messiah: can i ask what the amount of segments the rollbar is made out? Just asking as i have an simular car (supacat) in development, and i overdid it i think sad_o.gif (from 16 to 12 atm, think 8 will need to be max.).

Facecount looks ok imho, especially for an 'open' car with rollbars and dual weapon system plus kit.

of course - I'm using 8 sided cylinders to construct the rollbar/frame/cage - The main roll bar across the width of the vehicle is 12 segments, the rest of the pieces are between 1 and 8 (I didn't bother to merge the mesh for the roll bars, because it could quickly become high poly)

in all, the roll bars/cage takes up 600 faces of the model alone.

I've tried 6 and it becomes too blocky, 10 becomes too high poly for too little gain. With good sharp/smooth and textures 8 seems to be a safe bet for vehicles such as these where you require a lot of cylinders to construct parts. Your 'open' comment is very true - it's one of the scourges of Land Rovers, because you can't just 'hide' the interior, like with armoured vehicles.

Quote[/b] ]simular car (supacat)

sounds like you're making the MWMIK - looking at the references I have, you've got a far wider piece of tubing constructing the frame, and thus its easier for 8 sided cylinders to become quite square looking - plus there are a lot more curves for you to negotiate - I don't envy you!

I'll be making one as well at some point, although I'm very much leaving it till last whistle.gif - what sort of face count have you got on it at the moment? Looking at the thing, and comparing it to my WMIK, I would expect it could be very easy to go past 10,000 with ease (including weapons etc)

guys next one who just posts a render/dozer screen gets his ass smacked...

wink_o.gif

Anyone can post anything they like in this thread, whether

they want "advice" from self-appointed experts or not.

Technical addon making topics belong in the appropriate

sub-forum, not here. The original intent of this thread is

(quote) "Just a fun/random topic for WIP/pimpin

screenshots of whatever you are working, whether it be

a small a reskin, or as big as an all new model..."

Quote[/b] ]OFP2: I 'hope' that is a drawing and not the model,

its a drawing over a printscreen from o2, i dont have any programme besides o2, so in adobe i test my textures using layers and opacity, its what you might call ,a diy method , the reason i dont chose to use any other is cost only smile_o.gif and besides i think most work in arma is done with fake normals and nice low poly skeleton ?

What version is that? I know it is a WIP but it seems to not have a swing out GPMG. I do love the detail, especialy the little things that make it come to life like the wire cutter whatsit on the front of the rollcage.

Are you planing on making the Pinzgauer? The WMIK version of that will be a nightmare if the Landie one has caused you problems although the Pinzgauer WMIK I am sure only comes in 4x4, 6x6 are PPVs only IICR.

Looking at those gun trucks - simply stunning fellas!

Stew

What version is that? I know it is a WIP but it seems to not have a swing out GPMG. I do love the detail, especialy the little things that make it come to life like the wire cutter whatsit on the front of the rollcage.

Are you planing on making the Pinzgauer? The WMIK version of that will be a nightmare if the Landie one has caused you problems although the Pinzgauer WMIK I am sure only comes in 4x4, 6x6 are PPVs only IICR.

the swing arm is there, I assure you. There will be a fair heap more going onto the model, but for now I just wanted the base finished and done so I can get it ingame.

UK, as far as I'm aware, never adopted the pinz WMIK - not sure if 'they' ever did, but thats of no concern to me. The only nation I've seen use it thus far, is NZ.

@Messiahs: Honestly i have no official name on that car, as i make it on a request of pics someone received viavia. Afaik it is the new Danish SF guntruck or jeep...Not sure if the reference pics are for public eye aswell whistle.gif .

Anyway, atm i'm running in the 17k faces, but i had an error with my model in the past and i only could get it back in tris form. Already converted some parts (40-50% i think) to poly.

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

But model might be to detailed in the end, like it has bolts atm plus the 'cockpit' has 3d buttons and switches. Also spair tires could be lower on the inner tread (now jennys technique could be used wink_o.gif).

Low progress as all of my stuff...but nice vehicle to work on imho.

EDIT: as you see, O2 wireframe + shaders are that good as it leaves stuff out etc. Also sorry if pic is too weight (forum sr*w up, but if lower hard to see detail).

very good model

yea youd could also apply that vertex mergin on the rims.

dont worry if some polygons are tris..

the whole model will be made of tris anyway once its ingame smile_o.gif

only thing i can see that COULD be improved would be those caps on the flare/chaff launchers. those tubes in the front and back. as i see it the lower rim has an extra segment between cap and the base tube.

if you lack of polys id say leave that extra segment and merge them down

you can fake such an edge with normal maps and textures.

same goes for some parts of the MG´s

as for switches

they should be left away in the 3rd persp. LOD´s or just be broken down do the lowest possible if you can avoid them

(eg very obviously visible parts like gas pedals whatever..)

@messiah

8 segments for the bars are absolutaly fine.

for lods you can easily break them down to 4er segments

about that thechnique

of course it cant be applied everywhere BUT smile_o.gif

technically speaking you get a far more smooth shape with such a geometry eg if you want to make a plane nose cone or similar.

try it yourself

make a cylinder 8 sided, 4 segments vertical.

now just turn the segments so that each progressing vertex is in the middle of the vertices of the upper segments row.

also scale them and merge verts

i can show an example if you cant decrypt my crap smile_o.gif

ok, i have been doing some more work on my HK416 model and i started to play around with O2II(Ozone[O4, lol]).

now im have been trying to make this part have correct smoothing and sharp edges, but the way of doing it in "Ozone" is just awfull.

26503485120.jpg

i tried to just select a set of polys to add smoothing, and it smooths all the edges of what was selected, including the edges between the selected and unselected polys.

so then i tried selecting each edge between the polys i want to smooth one by one, but sometimes it'll select a vertex on the other side of the model though other polys.. then i have to start smoothing the edges all over again because i havent found a way to unselect something that was just selected.

im so frustrated with O2II...

its so easy using lightwave. there has to be an easyer means to correctly smooth a model with out loosing my mind.

this kinda sucks, all other programs i have make smoothing the easiest part of modeling..

26504054835.jpg

26504054872.jpg