Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

Whats polylimit for arma?? just looked through this whole thread... and its just amazing to see what people are doing

Oh awesome! Very high..will be nice for simclass visual models...by the way, do you by chance know how many "sharp" surfaces are allowed? I remember OFP having a bug where if too many sharp edges were present, the area around the addon would go hayire with a big graphical bug.

around 12,000 triangles per LOD

Quote from a BIS dev on this? i have had many many many more in OFP then that.

<<<<edit>>>>

Once you will have more than 32767 vertices or faces, your model will stop working because of 16-b index overflow. Other than that, there should be no fixed limit.

Number of vertices is linked to the number of points, but it is usually higher (and you cannot check this number in O2).

If this is the same for ArmA i am not sure, if a Dev could post letting us know that would be great!! smile_o.gif

The guess is at 12k. You can try DXRipper to extract some ArmA models to use for poly refrence.

12K seems a bit low. A lot of OFP models already break that limit.

A lot of poorly optimised OFP models break that "limit" wink_o.gif

There is a difference between the maximum possible polycount and the maximum supported polycount (i.e. where you'll still get decent FPS even with multiple units on-screen)

I would say that ~12k is quite reasonable.

Exteriror or interior? Or both? With both, 12k is good.

12k is high for a lot of games, excluding the newest games. Now with normal maps 12k is definatley a lot.

But that's ofcourse the first LOD. If you have a lot of optimised LODs then 12k is ok. Otherwise it's just wasting polies.

But the polycount is a very relative thing.

Heyho, now im retexturing Gigan's SCUD because the old ofp textures don't math with the rest of Armed Assault. But i didn't found HQ Pics of the SCUD, so they are made from scratch. But the rocket looks surprisingly good with this kind of used effect. I could make some normal and bump maps but i don't know how to edit the config confused_o.gif

ingame7.1t.jpg ingame7.3t.jpg ingame7.4t.jpg

The rocket it self is near its finish but now i know that this is (a lot of) work left thumbs-up.gif

Heyho, now im retexturing Gigan's SCUD because the old ofp textures don't math with the rest of Armed Assault. But i didn't found HQ Pics of the SCUD, so they are made from scratch. But the rocket looks surprisingly good with this kind of used effect. I could make some normal and bump maps but i don't know how to edit the config  confused_o.gif

[imghttp://www.armabase.de/cms/content/images/ingame7.1t.jpg[/img] [imhttp://www.armabase.de/cms/content/images/ingame7.3t.jpg[/img] [imghttp://www.armabase.de/cms/content/images/ingame7.4t.jpg[/img]

The rocket it self is near its finish but now i know that this is (a lot of) work left  thumbs-up.gif

It is looking quite well, only the damaged paint on the missle is kinda weird for a SCUD missle in service. It carries a Nuclear weapon so I do think it is serviced well. smile_o.gif

the paint wouldn't be much of a concern, besides the most important part is probably the warhead itself

the paint wouldn't be much of a concern, besides the most important part is probably the warhead itself

No paint means rust, and thats what you do not need on a SCUD in real life. The Missle that carries the warhead is just as important as the warhead itself.. The warhead doesnt go anywhere without the missle.

@Telejunky:

Retexturing isnt bad, but I think a remodelling is needed for this model to be up to ArmA's standard.

@Polylimit dudes:

I got a 18k model ingame and it gave me a: "Too many faces in model ***" error. It was only a 1.000 LOD with memory and landcontact.

That's strange, a dude made a pyramid with every brick modeled, the total count was 60k polies and he even had a video to back it up. But I'm not sure if he devided the model and brought it ingame in pieces or was it all one piece. I'm fairly sure it was just one piece.

Polycounts fine well and all that but what about the amount of surface edges? A properly defined sharp or smooth edge can be just as important as a good texture and model.

By the way, great Scud, will you also be modifying the rear/bottom so it looks more complicated and similar to the real thing??

guys take this discussion somewhere else please..

theres already a thread dealing about what arma can handle..

Death effects could easily be taken 'to far' in Arma, its ok to make it more realistic but you might not want to see organs\guts\brains sprayed and squished all over the battlefield.

im not saying extreme gore, just general gibbing like you see in alot of other games. it just really gets to me when i shoot some dude with a .50cal or a HEAT round from my tank, only to watch his compleatly intact body get tossed around like a stiff board.

just segment the body into its basic parts add blood and spray effects, and there you have it.

ofcouse it would compleatly depend on the ciliber of the weapon used.

orriginal halflife is more gory than Arma, but i wouldnt need anything close to the gore of DOOM3 (i can dream right?)

that was we were talking with my neighboor yesterday, a head falling down off the body whrn shhoting with m107, when you drop a gbu you see bodies, arms and legs flying an staying on the battlefield rofl.gif

(as wheels for car, flying turret for tank, plane's wings ...)

pistols.gif

maybe some of this can be scripted ... could make some amazing addon

I´m not a Mod but: Please stop the disussions here. This is a thread for presenting projects WIP. Not a discussion thread. Comments i think are ok, but not endless discussions. If you have some advices for the modder, give him a PM.

Great stuff...

Whats the real name of this plane?

Arma Rework or OFP port?

Great stuff...

Whats the real name of this plane?

Arma Rework or OFP port?

It's an Anonov An-12 'Cub'.

It was made but not completed by Bloody Days Mod for OFP. They released it as an open-source thing for people to use. IIRC Mapfact polished it up a bit and did a few retex jobs on it.

Not sure if Gnat's is a direct port or if he's done any improvements to the model or not but it looks good.

80´s dude strikes again

guess the name of the celeb :P

hint: hes a hottie XD

cs1nq7.jpg