Sign in to follow this  
red oct

The Camp

man i am really hating this goddamn mission! all i get is this pissant squad of 4 to command and im tasked to protect this engineers who walk around allowing themselves to get killed as they take their time just building a camp. the enemy is aways aware of our positions so they are able to naturally kill us all w/ one shot magically seeing through trees. the furthest i've been able to get w/out my squad or myself from getting killed, is the mission failure screen. tried all the strategies i could think of. tried sending my machine gunners to the flanks w/ my sniper and rifle man in the center. half the time they get gunned down before they even make it to where i send them.

i don't suppose theres any spawning cheats to spawn a APC is there?

I did this Rambo-style: ordered all my men to go prone and wait for me in the camp site. I then ran ahead a bit to the edge of the clearing in front of the camp, hid behind a tree and sniped down all enemy soldiers as they appeared. The few that got closer to the camp got shot down by my men. I got shot many times, of course, but finally pulled it of.

Trying to use any kind of tactics was so futile - the friendly AI is so weak that they were shredded in seconds. Of course, the enemy AI tracking doesn't help, either. Hopefully the AI will be much better in 1.07 and later patches.

man i am really hating this goddamn mission! all i get is this pissant squad of 4 to command and im tasked to protect this engineers who walk around allowing themselves to get killed as they take their time just building a camp. the enemy is aways aware of our positions so they are able to naturally kill us all w/ one shot magically seeing through trees. the furthest i've been able to get w/out my squad or myself from getting killed, is the mission failure screen. tried all the strategies i could think of. tried sending my machine gunners to the flanks w/ my sniper and rifle man in the center. half the time they get gunned down before they even make it to where i send them.

i don't suppose theres any spawning cheats to spawn a APC is there?

Check these forums mate, there's a few tips and hints on passing this in other threads smile_o.gif

The easiest way to do this, I find, is wait for the defense building engineer to build that sand bag with a machine gun on it.  Out of the 4(?) engineers, one of them focuses on defensive objects, one of the first things he builds is the sand bags with the machine gun on top.  Once he's done building it, order one of your squad members to mount it.

Since AI can see through trees and stuff, you should use that to your advantage.  I found that I could barely make out the OPFOR when I was on the machine gun thanks to all of the trees.  My squad member on the machine gun on the other hand, sniped all of the OPFORs before they could even get out of the forest.

Your results will probrably differ depending on AI skill level but..hope it helps.

I decided to cheat and modify the profile file by hand and lowering the AIs accuracy to more 'realistic' levels. No more getting sniped by guys with an MG from 3 hundred meters away.

Just wondering, what do you set their accuracy to?

I tried 0.0 for all and it still seems way too high as compared to good ole OFP...  confused_o.gif

(Haven't had much chance to experiment with this though yet...)

heh...i am at same mission " The Camp" end get killed by enemy AI that can kill me whit 1 hit from long distance"through trees" ... huh.gif

I did this Rambo-style: ordered all my men to go prone and wait for me in the camp site. I then ran ahead a bit to the edge of the clearing in front of the camp, hid behind a tree and sniped down all enemy soldiers as they appeared. The few that got closer to the camp got shot down by my men. I got shot many times, of course, but finally pulled it of.

Trying to use any kind of tactics was so futile - the friendly AI is so weak that they were shredded in seconds. Of course, the enemy AI tracking doesn't help, either. Hopefully the AI will be much better in 1.07 and later patches.

Arma 1.18 here and we're still in the same place :/ I recon this is an very hard AI to code but come on! Seeing through grass, seeing through smoke... That was forgivable in OF days because we had no shaders, hence not lots of visual information to process whereas the enemy sees in 8 bit colors and only you.

Search for durgs vegitation fix, download it, put it in your addons folder and try this mission again.

The way arma works is the AI dont see trees, they see a simple "viewblock" object instead. Some of the shapes of the default view blocks do not match the real shapes very well.

For example some dont cover the very edge of the trees where players can see partially through the branches. It works well when you only have one tree in the way however it can leave "holes" though a forest that the AI can see through.

Theres a version combined with low plants too if you want a framerate boost.

It really fixes the game.

Unfortunately there is no fix for seeing though the grass, but you can turn it off by setting terrain detail to low, turn the object detail up to get the other terrain features back.

For smoke grenades try JTD's Smoke grenade viewblock, again it works.

I do think its a bad show BIS didnt fix some of these problems in the patches and indeed havent released a final patch however just add these fixes and enjoy the game.

Search for durgs vegitation fix, download it, put it in your addons folder and try this mission again.

The way arma works is the AI dont see trees, they see a simple "viewblock" object instead. Some of the shapes of the default view blocks do not match the real shapes very well.

For example some dont cover the very edge of the trees where players can see partially through the branches. It works well when you only have one tree in the way however it can leave "holes" though a forest that the AI can see through.

Theres a version combined with low plants too if you want a framerate boost.

It really fixes the game.

Unfortunately there is no fix for seeing though the grass, but you can turn it off by setting terrain detail to low, turn the object detail up to get the other terrain features back.

For smoke grenades try JTD's Smoke grenade viewblock, again it works.

I do think its a bad show BIS didnt fix some of these problems in the patches and indeed havent released a final patch however just add these fixes and enjoy the game.

Thanks man, i am still hoping the final version of 1.18 fixes everything even if they have to use some mods in it themselves. I mean if you sell this game originally from 2006 as a gold edition (i bought that one as i want to play this one before ARMA 2 as i love the whole series) it must be complete. It must be a thing people can hold and be proud to have bought. It shouldn't have major game breaking stuff. I must say I've only encountered a few bad bugs.

As for this mission i've discovered That if i lay under a tree the enemy has a much reduced chance to see me. I've completed it in veteran difficulty with no mods whatsoever or cheating. It took me a couple tries but I've done it.

Here's how you do it. As soon as it starts run to the left side of the camp. run to a forward tree in the left side (one you can see most of the enemy coming from) and keep you AI on the right side of the camp but sparse as some grenades could be flying in. I've used the "find cover" command for it but i guess more success could be found using the map for a more tactical placement. I picked most of the guys up and the AI a smaller part. Didn't even use the machine gun as it's facing a not so useful direction.

Edited by Allucard

To be honest, i dont think theres a final patch coming. Would be good if BIS did one last patch for this game. Theres still a lot of people playing and in many ways I prefer Arma1.

Well done on completing the mission without the mods, give it a go with durgs fix as well, it does make it more enjoyable.

I finally managed to pass this by running to the middle, laying down, ordering guys in line formation, ordering to stealth and started shooting. Luckily the other guys were THEN well enough positioned to shoot the intruders.. :rolleyes: