Sign in to follow this  
Barnes

Should I Get OFP?

Don't know what's the real difference between the PC Gamer's and GOTY versions, but GOTY have Resistance in it and it's patched up to 1.85 I think.

Quote[/b] ]I guess its up to the Flashpoint Rearmed Team to Bring to ArmA what was once a Icon of the 1990s

Flashpoint came out in 2001

there is no need of buying ofp if you have got Arma , it's like if you have a ferrari and let it in the garage to drive a bicycle yay.gif

(I) Don't take seriously the comments with a dancing banana(s) in it.

Okay guys some quick thoughts...

Yeah, the graphics are "slightly" dated. But in the same way that Ghost Recon's graphics are now dated. That being said, I have no issues playing either GR or OFP from a graphics perspective.

I loaded FFUR 2007 (plus patches, and extra pack) and all I can say is WOW!!! It looks almost as good as Arma (only without the grass). In some aspects, I like the iron sight view better in FFUR than Arma. I know I am late coming on board, but I wish there were more folks playing FFUR 2007 online. Maybe there is and I am not looking in the right place. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Now I see why you guys are still all playing OFP!

The only thing that I am missing at this point in the lean commands, but that is really the only criticism that I can bring to the table at this point.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and if anyone has any suggestions for SP missions that are compatible with FFUR, I love to hear them. I'd post them in that forum, but the FFUR thread is locked.

Quote[/b] ]The only thing that I am missing at this point in the lean commands, but that is really the only criticism that I can bring to the table at this point.

I assume FFUR implemented them the same way of some other mods.

If it is the case, leaning (and rolling when prone) can be done by pressing your left or right key then pressing the turbo/sprint key (i don't know what key it is by default, as i bound mine differently) in the same time.

Remember to browse the OFP websites, there are hundred of missions, campaigns, mods and addons waiting for you.

there is no need of buying ofp if you have got Arma , it's like if you have a ferrari and let it in the garage to drive a bicycle yay.gif

Unless the shiny new Ferrari happens to be hopelessly broken and it will take at least a year for all the spare parts to arrive.

Analogies aside, ArmA is utter crap compared to good ol' OFP. Especially when pimped out to the max by all kinds of l33t mods and addons thumbs-up.gif

Get FDF and most related content, BAS Littlebirds (or well... all of the up-to-date BAS stuff) and go play at OFP.INFO or CiA coop nights. CiA topic and info is at the OFP MP thread, OFP.INFO info at their site which is the same URL. wink_o.gif

Thank you guys sincerely for all the candid feedback!!!!  I asked for similar feedback in the Arma forum (not in its own dedicated thread), and did not hear anything back at all.  Not the same here, I appreciate the well thought out responses and suggestions guys.  FYI, I pulled the trigger and just ordered it from Amazon for $16.

Same community, of course...but it is more of an OFP topic than an ArmA. I think you should purchase OFP1, especially for its price and what it has to offer. Think of it as foreshadowing ArmA's potential smile_o.gif

yay.gif Thanks again for everyones' suggestions and feedback!  I have to say that I have not played Arma since I have picked up OFP.  With all the addons and content out there I do not find that it looks that bad at all and I am having a blast.  So for now Arma is on the shelf, and I have started from the beginning by going through the 1985 campaign.  It is also nice to see a more mature community here.  

I still have not had any luck hooking up in MP though.  I am having difficulties figuring out which addons people are using banghead.gif.

The missions which needs always addons, are the "crCTI" missions.

If you need addons for "crCTI 1.0 #####" missions, then have alook on this page.

http://cr-ofp.dyndns.org

So far the basic addon pack (7mb) for crCTI is this one here.

http://cr-ofp.dyndns.org/items/399/@ctitc6.rar

But there are Mods like BW@DVD with about 300mb of addons, real nice.

Also helpful is OFPwatch, a tool to download all addon which the server needs at moment.

http://www.binarybone.com/ofpwatch/

well i dissagree about WGL as being most realistic mod, when i tried it i felt that it has some good reaslim, but when i saw that hinds can fire AT missiles only at about 30km/h speed i felt that WGL is far from realism, because hinds can fire ATs from bigger speeds, also it depends on hind's modification, ATGMs versions, etc. But wgl is good at other things...

And if WGL had the best looking addons(realistic) it would be perfect!

Falklands Mod is a need to try it out! Just like BAS, FFUR, Jungle Fever and more. And if you use these with CoC, SLX you would feel good thumbs-up.gif

People, it's all relative; I've tried all these mods which are around, but ultmately I've (always) stayed/returned to ECP, garned with some visual enhancements like Berghoff's Nature pack and that dxdll or whatever from Kegety's and  Modul's Sky pack and so on ,,, and of course some unit addons like Marine Assault Pack and DKM VIT APC Pack and similar ,,, and Sanctuary's Animation Replacement Next Generation Pack and so on  ...

Okay huh.gif

The limit in WGL 5.12 is 120, not 30. You can disable the ATGM limit by using the included game logic or set it to a value you think is correct by a simple modification of the config. If you use the BIS Mi-24 there's no limit either.

You can replace the soldier models to some laggier ones with the included configs.

But yeah, it's all love here. Some people like apples over oranges and some don't. Some even prefer bananas yay.gif

...and some preffer to meat realistic battle field in simulators...

oh, that's good, maybe that was old version of wgl, but 120km/h is fairly good whistle.gif

you see when i tried it, i was amazed, how the hell hinds can fire ATs only from 30km/h and apaches could ~120-130km/h, that was way over balanced...

so my WGL testing ended on that place wink_o.gif hm... maybe i need to check it 2nd time... there's modern version of it now smile_o.gif

Q:Should I Get OFP?

A: yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifbanana.gif

and for those that don't like the banana..a dancing elmo Dancing_Elmo.gif

Okay a few weeks have past and I am having a blast with OFP. Even though my computer runs Arma with high details, and with no problems, I have not gone back to it yet. I am constantly amazed at how deep this little gem is. I have more content then I know what to do with right now. Certainly enough to keep me busy for years. I just kick my self in the rear for not coming over sooner.

Graphically, with all the latest and greatest stuff, I really do not feel as if I am missing out on anything at all. Yeah, I agree OFP doesn't look "as good" as Arma, but not by much, and some of the OFP models are right up there with Arma.

The funny thing is I've always been a fan of tactical FPS since the original Rainbow Six, and anything and everything afterwards except apparently OFP. All along I have been waiting for something combined arms and thought BF1942, and JO were the first of its kind. Man I feel robbed of my time.

The other interesting thing is back when OFP came out, I had bought GR, and my friend bought OFP. We had been semi-following the development of both. Back then he told me OFP was a piece of junk so I never picked it up banghead.gif and instead I stuck with GR thinking it was the only tactical game of its kind. Well better late then never I suppose.

Still no luck with MP. I really would like to see more people in MP, but I guess most have moved on to Arma. Thanks again for everyones feedback. Long live OFP!!!!!

Still no luck with MP. I really would like to see more people in MP, but I guess most have moved on to Arma.

What do you mean? Can't find enough people to play with?

Hard to believe as most people I used to play OFP with soon came back to OFP after they tried ArmA.

You won't found anytime a full server with the particular mod you wished to play, that's true.

But as there is not JoinInProgress in OFP, the approach to multiplayer is another anyway.

Try it this way:

I made a short list of Teamspeak2-Servers where my first-language is spoken.

I say hello and we discuss shortly which mod we are going to play this evening. (Most OFP servers have a way to change to the wished mod within seconds.)

This way worked very well for me for years now. Always found players and almost never had any annoyance with immature people.

I suggest you give some info about the place you live. Maybe someone near you reads it and points you to a suitable TS2 Server or homepage.

Still no luck with MP.  I really would like to see more people in MP, but I guess most have moved on to Arma.

What do you mean? Can't find enough people to play with?

Hard to believe as most people I used to play OFP with soon came back to OFP after they tried ArmA.

You won't found anytime a full server with the particular mod you wished to play, that's true.

But as there is not JoinInProgress in OFP, the approach to multiplayer is another anyway.

Try it this way:

I made a short list of Teamspeak2-Servers where my first-language is spoken.

I say hello and we discuss shortly which mod we are going to play this evening. (Most OFP servers have a way to change to the wished mod within seconds.)

This way worked very well for me for years now. Always found players and almost never had any annoyance with immature people.

I suggest you give some info about the place you live. Maybe someone near you reads it and points you to a suitable TS2 Server or homepage.

I should have explained myself a little better. I am still figuring out all the different addon/mod folders and such, and each MP server has different settings then what I have. Slowly but surely I figuring all these little things out. You are right, there is always someone out there playing OFP.

If you like Vietnam, then Hawknam server runs the Jungle Fever mod and people play every day or so. I'll walk you through installing whats needed.

Also, if you like role playing there are two server that run Crime City. I'll also walk you though installing that if you like.

ALSO, alot of random servers run no mods so just filter for anyone with more than one or two players in.

Also, if you like role playing there are two server that run Crime City.

I second that. CrimeCity and the new Nogova Crimes are gameplay variants of OFP one should definitly have seen.

Check www.kanonenfutter.org for more.

I like Arma, but I don't really have a meaty enough PC for it. Put it this way, the only real advantage it has over flashpoint is it looks nicer, and some of the destructible objects are far more convincing. The gameplay - for me - is virtually identical. So until I can afford a nice beefy machine to play it with all the bells and whistles, then I'll keep playing OFP.

If you like Vietnam, then Hawknam server runs the Jungle Fever mod and people play every day or so. I'll walk you through installing whats needed.

Also, if you like role playing there are two server that run Crime City. I'll also walk you though installing that if you like.

ALSO, alot of random servers run no mods so just filter for anyone with more than one or two players in.

Thanks for the suggestions Blazin.

I have downloaded the Jungle Fever MOD, FDF, I44, CSLA, WGL5, all the FFUR's, ect. I have not been able to get Jungle Fever to work yet banghead.gif and would very much like to try it out. I have all the necessary addons. If it is not too much to ask, I will take you up on your offer on how to install it. Once I am up and running you will see me in MP! biggrin_o.gif

did you download the falklands pack? one of my favourite add-ons for ofp.

If I were you I'd just go with FFSX2007 insted of all the FFUR's. Less space taken up, and its the newest and best.

And with this Jungle Fever mod, you hve the program "WinRAR" right? You need it to open the RAR files so you can put the folder into your OFP directory.

Basicly it'll look like this if you installed OFP in the default location, and your hard drive is C:

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\JungleFever\

That folder will contains folders sutch as ADDONS, BIN and DTA

Then you make a copy of your OFP desktop shortcut and open properties. Then edit the target box so it has -mod=JungleFever at the end.

So the whole target box will read:

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -mod=JungleFever

I named my jungle fever folder @JFMP as it contains all the addons the JF server requires.