Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

Oh, and if Sickboy hasn't already offered it, feel free to use any aspect of DSAI you want to or do not want to use for ACE. smile_o.gif Everything's looking pretty good from where I am...all the best of luck to you and your future releases! biggrin_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Quote[/b] ]Question is: Will the BI-Standard M1 be replaced because i think it won't fit in between all those well modeled variants...

I would say standard BIS stuff should be not replaced. Leave it there so people can play non-A.C.E. made missions with A.C.E. improvements too. smile_o.gif

ACE is a replacement Mod. Therefore, 'most' existing missions will work with 'most' of the ACE features.

From my experience this statement is more often false rather than true. The problem is that the mission designer did the testing based on his vanilla ArmA (or another modification). While i agree that you can indeed play the mission, it is not playable as the designer originally intended.

If you play with TrueRangeAI but the mission was designed without it, you will notice that the mission is proportionally more difficult where the TrueRangeAI takes most effect. See AAA vs Aircrafts for example. Or if the mission did intentionally leave the squad without any medic, a modification where all soldiers have medic like capacities will "break" the mission.

(this is just an example as i don't know about exact features of ACE).

This is why i would rather have the ArmA components untouched where it is possible and have ACE components as an addon. But you surely debated extensively about this issue and have good reasons for choosing this solution smile_o.gif

'most' = missions developed in vanilla ArmA? smile_o.gif

I know that you can play mission with many Mod's but it's annoying if they "break" eg. unlocking all vehicles, AI fleeing - mission doesn't end, tweaked AI don't follow waypoints or don't stay in group or regroup, groups have different weapons/gear and number of units etc. All these little things can "break" missions or campaigns.

to the creator of ACE.. can I assist with the beta??

trying out the beta, reporting bugs

to the creator of ACE.. can I assist with the beta??

trying out the beta, reporting bugs

Everyone will have an opportunity to try out the beta when it makes a public release. For now, we're rather happy with the number of alpha testers we have.

Rap, pic #3 shows the ruck flaw from a previous version.

From my experience this statement is more often false rather than true. The problem is that the mission designer did the testing based on his vanilla ArmA (or another modification). While i agree that you can indeed play the mission, it is not playable as the designer originally intended.

From an AI tweaking, ballistics altering point of view I can see what you mean. However I was more referring to things like the stamina/wounding systems or cargo/ruck systems.

Anyway, I still stand by my statement of 'most' existing missions will work with 'most' of the ACE features. Obviously a mission designed around ACE would be better but we are trying to aim for compatibility or atleast playability with existing missions/campaigns.

@Sig: I've not once seen that flaw. crazy_o.gif

@ April 30 2008,18:18)]Rap, pic #3 shows the ruck flaw from a previous version.

No, it shows an issue from 3rd-party animations he was using, which is even worse.

Those screens should never have been posted, as they show a bug that does not exist in the core mod, and also were posted without permission.

I love enthusiasm as much as the next person, but our rules are in place for a reason, and one of them is to prevent such issues from happening.

ahh, just noticed the text at the bottom.. Dsl is correct though Raptor, (Removed) check the ACE forums again.

question:

ACE is striving for a defined level of realism right?

are you going to include options to disable realism?

because to me that would seem to contradict the point of ACE (ive taken the gameplay aspect you also strive for in my considerations) such as crosshair, because if there is an option to enable crosshair and thirdperson i dont doubt that almost everyone will have it enabled which in the end would make ACE just another mod with addons, eventually deteriorating so that the most common mission will be (once again) some kind of arcade mission like evolution with crosshair and thirdperson enabled.

i know forcing stuff on people isnt good but sometimes (especially in the case of arma, its supposed to be a simulator) i think its a necessary evil. realism & gameplay is a good idea but i think its important to remember that realism is also gameplay. there are tons of other good games with arcade elements for arcade players to enjoy. they have a choice, but the selection of what to play is quite slim for us realism fans. the most common mistake is when a realism game incorporates arcade elements to satisfy the larger crowd (i know its necessary to make money) but in the end it leaves realism fans frustrated.

just my 217 cents.

Crosshairs and Third person are up to the individual user or server Admin. Having these on or off will not be forced by ACE.

Edit: In SP I quite like having 3rd person but for MP I prefer not. ACE also gives the end user (currently) three camera positions for it, selectable via a config file.

haha, now I know that all I have to do to peel you for information is write a sassy post about my grave concerns about what will suck about ACE.

3rd person and crosshairs are hardly a matter of national security. He had a question, I answered it. Ask a different question and you may or may not get an answer. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]because to me that would seem to contradict the point of ACE (ive taken the gameplay aspect you also strive for in my considerations) such as crosshair, because if there is an option to enable crosshair and thirdperson i dont doubt that almost everyone will have it enabled which in the end would make ACE just another mod with addons, eventually deteriorating so that the most common mission will be (once again) some kind of arcade mission like evolution with crosshair and thirdperson enabled.

I guess you'll have to play it to understand. Crosshairs and 3rd person have no bearing at all on the level of realism inherent in the mod. They are optional, as they should be. If you want to force them on or off, you have server configs that accomplish exactly that. It would be arrogant and presumptuous of us to deny that ability by forcing those aspects permanently off through our mod.

thanks for the answers all. it was kind of dumb of me to ask them though since i predicted this kind of answer. (: ill still play ACE though but only on TGs server. keep up the good work.

edit:

Quote[/b] ]plaintiff1: haha, now I know that all I have to do to peel you for information is write a sassy post about my grave concerns about what will suck about ACE.

are you being sarcastic? because i cant tell.

plaintiff1, never...

Don't worry BLUFOR we will not be forcing anything, you will have the option to use/not use features.

@ May 03 2008,02:18)]plaintiff1, never...

Don't worry BLUFOR we will not be forcing anything, you will have the option to use/not use features.

yeah okay, thats not what i hoped though. :P

People who want to play ACE properly and experience the mod in all it's realism and atmosphere are probably the players who have crosshairs and/or 3rd person view disabled by default anyway.

If you want to play Evolution with crosshairs and 3rd person on ACE mod, nobody's stopping you, but for those that truly wish to experience the mod will probably have it turned off as it's a much more realistic feel and atmosphere. Also prevents 'corner peeking' so you'll actually have to properly take each corner, for one example.

Yours,

I'd say ppl who wanna play with ACE are not gonna play Evolution anyway:P (Or at least not only this as it does not encourage team play, and you won't be able to play ACE going rambo)

I played WGL since version 4. I'll be playing ACE, and I have had quite a few good experiences with Evo playing with my friends. I don't think you cram all ACE users into one can.