Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

I don't want to sound negative or demanding but in respect to the release date of 'when its done' are we realistically looking at a release before ARMA II, I only ask because oif the situation is different will your work be ported over to ArmA II after its launch or would you release a 'Classic' Arma release then move onto Arma II.

As most people I am looking forward to this mod.

I know that what comes out will be good but are you planning on releasing any content for the opfor side?

I don't want to sound negative or demanding but in respect to the release date of 'when its done' are we realistically looking at a release before ARMA II, I only ask because oif the situation is different will your work be ported over to ArmA II after its launch or would you release a 'Classic' Arma release then move onto Arma II.

I'm sure it will be out before ArmA2. Any other guesses aside from that are speculation at this point and non-productive.

Further down the road, ACE will be ported to ArmA2 after consideration has been made regarding what needs to be changed to accommodate any ArmA2 changes.

i really wish it wont take too much time and work to port it to ARMA 2, as this is one of the reason why this mod had been keep active confused_o.gif

Well... I prefer someting like SLX_Mod for OFP, that gives you ultra ( !!!!ULTRA!!!! ) realism and opportunity to use your own addons.

Will ACE be something like this?

Well... I prefer someting like SLX_Mod for OFP, that gives you ultra ( !!!!ULTRA!!!! ) realism and opportunity to use your own addons.

Will ACE be something like this?

It depends on how you define such things. The 'realism' of ACE is very high - I won't compare it to SLX, but I will say that it is a fantastic evolution from WGL in OFP and that the depth it adds to the experience is incredible.

As to utilization of your own addons, the intent is to make ACE so compelling on its own that you'll forget about the other stuff. smile_o.gif

so it will be something like ECS, with more function, right?

no no everything like ECS but with new vehicles, weapons, units, maybe islands!

It will be like WGL for OFP, except dramatically better.

Just thought I would make a suggestion - a mod shouldn't have to include new addons as part of the mod, it should only modify those parts of the game that make the game more like what you want the sim to be; addons should be addons, so new vehicles should be added as a seperate component that way they can be installed independant of the mod itself.

As mods get heavier with addons they just become more difficult to update, keep track of and store. Just my 2 cents.

Just thought I would make a suggestion - a mod shouldn't have to include new addons as part of the mod, it should only modify those parts of the game that make the game more like what you want the sim to be; addons should be addons, so new vehicles should be added as a seperate component that way they can be installed independant of the mod itself.

As mods get heavier with addons they just become more difficult to update, keep track of and store. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not how ACE will be. You should be able to pick out many, many reasons as to why that is once the first beta is available to the masses.

I had plans for a few OPFOR vehicles that I offered back to WGL many months ago. I also has a 2S9 Nona light artillery piece that never got finished but I also had available for ACE. If theres still interest I'll finish that up and maybe a more realistic variant of the BMD-1 with firing ports up front and updated gun optic etc. That is, if this stuff is still needed. I'm not sure if theres been any changes to how OPFOR is being handled or if this stuff has already been implemented/replaced etc.

arma desperately needs a mod like FFUR (i do not mean in the gameplay sense) for a unified package with addons so people will be able to connect to servers properly and expand on the mission possibilites and gameplay. will ace be anything like that?

arma desperately needs a mod like FFUR (i do not mean in the gameplay sense) for a unified package with addons so people will be able to connect to servers properly and expand on the mission possibilites and gameplay. will ace be anything like that?

it is the arma version of WGL, so it IS a unified package of addons, like WGL

oh but one more thing: tracers, will it have a more realistic look? confused_o.gif

@MechaStalin - we'll gladly accept anything you are willing to donate.  Just drop by the ACE site and everything will be arranged.  If anyone else wants to work on or donate to ACE, please come to our website:  http://ace.usmc-warriors.org/

In general:

ACE will include everything (or nearly everything) that is necessary to enjoy very immersive and rewarding tactical, combined arms gameplay.  It will include at least one new island, many new and reconfigured vehicles, weapons, and equipment to conduct nearly any type of military or paramilitary operation, as well as visual and audio effects that help bring the battlefield to life.

Inside the heart of ACE beats a number of subtle systems that will make ACE unlike anything that has come before.  We've worked hard to create a set of very immersive and realistic systems and subsystems which directly and positively affect gameplay.  While words do not adequately convey what these systems do, suffice it to say that when you are running ACE, Armed Assault becomes less like a game and more like real life.  A soldier’s load-out directly impacts his ability to fight.  Terrain and distance considerations must be taken into account before launching an assault.  Working as a team will not only increase a mission’s likelihood for success but also is much more important for one’s very survival.  If one becomes injured on the battlefield, it is no longer a matter of being magically healed by groveling at the feet of a medic or the exhaust pipe of an ambulance.  If one gets wounded in ACE, the team and especially the medic become a very vital link in returning you to combat duty.  Left alone, you are almost certainly looking into the grave.

With ACE, platoon and squad leaders are highly encouraged to plan each phase of the mission.  With vanilla Armed Assault, it really wasn’t crucial for planning or even for real teamwork in order to accomplish a mission.  While those things increased the success rate, one could easily complete missions alone.  For example, look at the ever popular Evolution mission(s).  It is very possible for one to play the entire mission alone and win.  In ACE, that same mission becomes much more difficult.  Communication, coordination, and teamwork are really necessary.  Ambushes, pincer movements, cover and concealment are a few of the real world skills that are now much more likely to be seen and enjoyed in Armed Assault.

At this point, I want to reiterate that ACE is not for everyone.  If you like to get in a game, run off by yourself and become a hero in your own mind, I highly recommend you don’t bother with ACE as it will only frustrate you.  If, on the other hand, you like the idea of working as an effective member of a team, then ACE is right up your alley.  It takes a very different mindset to use ACE.  There are some servers which currently encourage this type of gameplay.  If you want to see the type of play that ACE is designed for, I recommend you visit ShackTac, SimHQ, USMC Warriors or Tactical Gamer servers and see for yourself.

As for release dates, we are and will continue to be ambiguous.  This is not done to frustrate any of you but rather is a simple result of ACE being a project of love and not a commercial product.  We are certainly not getting paid (but donations are always welcome), and finding time to work for hour upon hour doesn’t always fit into the dev team’s daily life.  I can tell you that thousands if not tens of thousands of man-hours have already been put into ACE (and the final version of WGL).  We know we are getting close and the internal conversations are shifting towards solidification of a release window but we are not there quite yet.  We definitely plan on releasing ACE for Armed Assault and will almost certainly modify it for release with ArmA2.  

As for a list of features, units, etc. that is also coming and will be released once the dev team is certain what is ready for release.  We do not want to release ACE in a state that will irritate those that really want to play.  Instead, we will make sure that what goes out our door is ready for public enjoyment.  We know that there will likely still be a few bugs and room for adjustments of the systems.  It is hard to completely find and eliminate all bugs when you are working with such a volume of code.  

In reference to releasing ACE addons separately, we decided a long time ago, it is much better for everyone involved to release it all at once.  In this way, we know that all systems work together as intended.  We also know that each component has passed our quality and assurance inspections.  

Lastly, we will not compare ACE to any other mod (with the exception of WGL - ACE is better than WGL; it is larger is scope, includes more systems, and is geared towards better play).   There are MANY excellent mods out there.  In fact, we work with many of them directly to help ensure better gameplay for the entire Armed Assault community.  In the days of OFP, many of the larger mod teams were more isolationistic.  Each was reluctant to work with others for a number of reasons.  WGL was always fearful that someone might “steal†something we did.  Since Armed Assault’s release, the overall feeling between the mod teams, large and small, is much more open and supportive.  It is a much better working environment and the results are and will be readily apparent to everyone that plays Armed Assault and Armed Assault 2.

The entire ACE dev team thanks you for your continued support and understanding.  We will get ACE into your hands as soon as we can.  Cheers!

smile_o.gif

Massive post

notworthy.gif < pretty much sums it up.

If one becomes injured on the battlefield, it is no longer a matter of being magically healed by groveling at the feet of a medic or the exhaust pipe of an ambulance.

Pushing it a bit here: Any chance you could clarify a bit more on how this will work? I never liked the idea of the 'instant heal'.

@MechaStalin - we'll gladly accept anything you are willing to donate.  Just drop by the ACE site and everything will be arranged.  If anyone else wants to work on or donate to ACE, please come to our website:  http://ace.usmc-warriors.org/

In general:

ACE will include everything (or nearly everything) that is necessary to enjoy very immersive and rewarding tactical, combined arms gameplay.  It will include at least one new island, many new and reconfigured vehicles, weapons, and equipment to conduct nearly any type of military or paramilitary operation, as well as visual and audio effects that help bring the battlefield to life.

Inside the heart of ACE beats a number of subtle systems that will make ACE unlike anything that has come before.  We've worked hard to create a set of very immersive and realistic systems and subsystems which directly and positively affect gameplay.  While words do not adequately convey what these systems do, suffice it to say that when you are running ACE, Armed Assault becomes less like a game and more like real life.  A soldier’s load-out directly impacts his ability to fight.  Terrain and distance considerations must be taken into account before launching an assault.  Working as a team will not only increase a mission’s likelihood for success but also is much more important for one’s very survival.  If one becomes injured on the battlefield, it is no longer a matter of being magically healed by groveling at the feet of a medic or the exhaust pipe of an ambulance.  If one gets wounded in ACE, the team and especially the medic become a very vital link in returning you to combat duty.  Left alone, you are almost certainly looking into the grave.

With ACE, platoon and squad leaders are highly encouraged to plan each phase of the mission.  With vanilla Armed Assault, it really wasn’t crucial for planning or even for real teamwork in order to accomplish a mission.  While those things increased the success rate, one could easily complete missions alone.  For example, look at the ever popular Evolution mission(s).  It is very possible for one to play the entire mission alone and win.  In ACE, that same mission becomes much more difficult.  Communication, coordination, and teamwork are really necessary.  Ambushes, pincer movements, cover and concealment are a few of the real world skills that are now much more likely to be seen and enjoyed in Armed Assault.

At this point, I want to reiterate that ACE is not for everyone.  If you like to get in a game, run off by yourself and become a hero in your own mind, I highly recommend you don’t bother with ACE as it will only frustrate you.  If, on the other hand, you like the idea of working as an effective member of a team, then ACE is right up your alley.  It takes a very different mindset to use ACE.  There are some servers which currently encourage this type of gameplay.  If you want to see the type of play that ACE is designed for, I recommend you visit ShackTac, SimHQ, USMC Warriors or Tactical Gamer servers and see for yourself.

As for release dates, we are and will continue to be ambiguous.  This is not done to frustrate any of you but rather is a simple result of ACE being a project of love and not a commercial product.  We are certainly not getting paid (but donations are always welcome), and finding time to work for hour upon hour doesn’t always fit into the dev team’s daily life.  I can tell you that thousands if not tens of thousands of man-hours have already been put into ACE (and the final version of WGL).  We know we are getting close and the internal conversations are shifting towards solidification of a release window but we are not there quite yet.  We definitely plan on releasing ACE for Armed Assault and will almost certainly modify it for release with ArmA2.  

As for a list of features, units, etc. that is also coming and will be released once the dev team is certain what is ready for release.  We do not want to release ACE in a state that will irritate those that really want to play.  Instead, we will make sure that what goes out our door is ready for public enjoyment.  We know that there will likely still be a few bugs and room for adjustments of the systems.  It is hard to completely find and eliminate all bugs when you are working with such a volume of code.  

In reference to releasing ACE addons separately, we decided a long time ago, it is much better for everyone involved to release it all at once.  In this way, we know that all systems work together as intended.  We also know that each component has passed our quality and assurance inspections.  

Lastly, we will not compare ACE to any other mod (with the exception of WGL - ACE is better than WGL; it is larger is scope, includes more systems, and is geared towards better play).   There are MANY excellent mods out there.  In fact, we work with many of them directly to help ensure better gameplay for the entire Armed Assault community.  In the days of OFP, many of the larger mod teams were more isolationistic.  Each was reluctant to work with others for a number of reasons.  WGL was always fearful that someone might “steal†something we did.  Since Armed Assault’s release, the overall feeling between the mod teams, large and small, is much more open and supportive.  It is a much better working environment and the results are and will be readily apparent to everyone that plays Armed Assault and Armed Assault 2.

The entire ACE dev team thanks you for your continued support and understanding.  We will get ACE into your hands as soon as we can.  Cheers!

:)

Just 2 lines would have been more informative:

Projectstatus: x0 % (estimated!)

Launch-date: xx.xx.xxxx. (estimated!)

Project Status: A little more work than a little while ago

Launch-date: xx.xx.2008 (subject to change without prior notification)

smile_o.gif

Without going too much into specifics, the medical and stamina systems (and a few others) work in concert to produce much more realistic responses for those injured (as well as their team).

In addition to the effects experienced by someone that is injured, there are different levels of support available. If able, the player may apply a bandage he is carrying to stop the bleeding (assuming he packed one or more to begin with). If he is either unable or unsuccessful in applying a bandage himself (he may be unconscious, unprepared or unlucky), a team mate can apply a bandage to stop the bleeding (with a higher probably of success). If successfully applied, a bandage slows down and may stop the bleeding. However, if the wound is significant, one bandage may not be enough and the player may continue to bleed out. If unchecked, this will result in increasing shock, unconsciousness, and, eventually, death. A player that is bleeding can increase his blood loss by continuing to maneuver (which may be necessary due to incoming fire). If a player is successful in stopping the bleeding, he is still not “healed†but has only stopped his condition from worsening. If shot in the legs, for example, he still won’t be able to get up and run.

In order to recover health and repair damage, a medic or corpsmen can apply or administer a number of specific medical items, which are carried and selectable much like a magazine or grenade for a normal soldier. These items, along with other details, will be revealed at a later date but the application of these items while under fire will dramatically change the way medics are employed and played.

When combined with the stamina system, the results can dramatically change the pacing or direction of a fire fight.

Imagine this:

Default Armed Assault:

Your squad is advancing on Everon in order to clear out a small team of hostiles. On the way in, the enemy opens fire, quickly killing three of your team mates. You are bummed about their deaths but it doesn’t really slow or alter your assault. Another two are wounded. The medic kneels beside them, they click on the magic red cross and within a few seconds they are completely healed. The remains of the squad push into Everon and kill the bad guys – everyone is awarded a pound cake with Tabasco Sauce and a high five.

Advanced Combat Environment:

Your squad is advancing on Everon in order to clear out a small team of hostiles. On the way in, the enemy opens fire, three of your team are quickly wounded and fall to the ground. As leader, you have to decide whether to press the assault, pause in order to determine if they are alive or dead, or split the team to continue the advance and deal with the wounded. You decide to pause and quickly assess their injuries. The remaining members of your team take up defensive positions and begin to suppress the enemy (which works by the way). You toss a smoke grenade out to cover your fallen mates and the medic. The medic and a brave soldier run out and drag the bodies back behind cover. The one left behind wakes up and begins screaming in pain. The medic assesses the two injured recovered already and the soldier runs back out to drag the third man back to the medic. The medic has diagnosed that the second man is more critical and begins working on him. The brave soldier applies bandages supplied by the medic to the other two. Bullets and grenades are still flying – smoke covers the area. You tell your remaining members to continue the assault as the medic and his temporary assistant work to save the lives of those that were wounded. Pressing forward, bullets snapping passed your men, you hear a report from your medic that the critically wounded man needs immediate advanced medical care. He can provide that care right now but at the expense of using all his medical supplies. You have to decide to try and save him now at the risk of not having any more medical supplies and not treating the others already wounded. You decide to call in a Medivac helicopter and tell the doc to stabilize as best he can but to treat the others and save the remaining supplies as the fight isn’t over yet. As you are yelling this back to the medic over the din of the rifle and machine gun fire, you hear one of your team leaders scream and watch him slump forward. His SAW gunner runs out to grab him and is shot several times in the legs. He falls but immediately begins returning fire. Since he is wounded fairly severally, he is unable to hold his weapon steady, even while prone, and is blacking in and out. You toss another smoke grenade between them and the enemy position. You run out and drag both back behind cover. You call the medic up to examine the new wounded. He reports that he is still working on the others and tells you to apply field dressings to slow the bleeding. Unfortunately, you decided at the beginning of the mission to have your men carry extra ammo and grenades and leave the bandages behind. You figured that the medic carried enough to cover any wounded you might take while assaulting such a small force. You reevaluate your decision as you watch blood pool around your SAW gunner’s body. You watch helplessly as he begs for help, passes out and eventually dies. Your team leader hasn’t moved since he fell and you don’t know what to do next. You mission has quickly gone from an easy assault to keeping your team alive and surviving until tomorrow. As the concealment from your smoke grenade clears, you hear the enemy rally for a counter attack… you have one man dead, two critically wounded, and a two more walking wounded – able to fight but at reduced ability levels. So, esteemed squad leader, what do you do now?

Couldn't resist. smile_o.gif The next 5 seconds of the story, as performed by an actor portraying me, is below.

SL McDonald

Sounds good, though, very good. Though hopefully it won't end up clogging up the action menu with 12 BILLION actions. Can't wait!

Just 2 lines would have been more informative:

Projectstatus: x0 % (estimated!wink_o.gif

Launch-date: xx.xx.xxxx. (estimated!wink_o.gif

Phaeden goes out of his way to make a good, lengthy post about ACE, and the best you can reply with is basically a demand to know in percentage points how "complete" it is, and what the estimated date is?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Dont worry not all of us are like that! Sounds like you guys have been making something truely remarkable in terms of realism. Is there any hints of how all these features affects performance?

We are working very hard to avoid over use of the action menu. There are some things that are done that way, but most are not. Again, more details will follow soon.

Believe it or not, I actually run ACE on my Nintendo Entertainment System! Seriously, the internal systems do not affect performance at all (at least not in any measurable sense that we've seen). Some of the models can cause a frame rate change, but it is up to the player if those models are used or not (ACE is pretty customizable in that regard).