Sign in to follow this  
cef71

As good as OFP's?

arma is thoroughly excellent, but the OFp campaign was way better.

So very true, currently the game engine is technically better but the single player games and addon missions of OFP were light years better than Armed Assaults.

Whenever I play the campaign it always feels rushed and more as an afterthought rather than an integral part of the game.

the ofp campaign was THE best ever...fullstop.

but Arma is tops and i am having a blast online.

yea should of just put ofp's campaign in arma.Now that would be nice

Having never played OFP at all but loving Arma, is there any value in me going back in picking up OFP and giving it a run. Do any of you guys revisit OFP now?

Do any of you guys revisit OFP now?

I went back to OFP.

I was again hooked up by OFP by the time I got ArmA, check it out, didn't like it, and went back to OFP. No regrets anymore. I'll give ArmA another try in about 6 months or so. If they refuse to hear what we have to say about helicopters and small arms handle, I will not play ArmA. Not that anyone cares, but that my part of the story.

As for your trying OFP now... In terms of gameplay, atmosphere and inmersion (or "suspension of disbelief") ArmA can't even hold a candle to OFP. In the graphics aspect, it is far better ArmA though. I would suggest that you should not miss the OFP experience, but chances are, that the graphics will put you away.

Cheers.

Having never played OFP at all but loving Arma, is there any value in me going back in picking up OFP and giving it a run.  Do any of you guys revisit OFP now?

All I can say is OFP and all it's exapnsions were solid and fantastic. As you can see from many other posts, the replayability is phenomenal. If you can find it, try it.

Better than OFP but less time to enjoy it. confused_o.gif

Don't forget : much more modding/scripting possibilities than OFP. I'm amazed what people already can do without any moddingtools, things we could only dream of in OFP.

Imagine what they can create when the moddingtools are here.

Almost every day a new toy to play with smile_o.gif

Remember... this is just the beginning...

the only thing better is that there is more camping dirt fucking wannabees than there was before,also graphics are  way better,but the NOOBS get killed way far earlier

biggrin_o.gif bring it camping slow mofos wannabees

Thanks for the feedback guys! I found the game of the year edition on Amazon for $16 and bought it today. Looking forward to catching up on what I previously missed.

i have also Arma, but i don't play with it, because for the moment this game is not really finished and doesn't have tons of addons. so i prefer to play at OFP (the best game ever made).

but maybe in some months, i will take a look at Arma

smile_o.gif

ArmA is much better for screenshots the OFP was, can look quite stunning...other then that...hm...well, to be nice, the bugs don't bring the game to CTD's and I guess slow gameplay is also a gameplay...I can't understand why Ofp feels so much of a faster game, something to do with the animations (not to mention the low performance, from over 150 fps in Ofp to avrage 20 in ArmA)...

Think I've given the game a fair amount of time, played since it relesed v1.00, bought new hardware, but if not patch 1.08 changes things around I'm deinstalling and just cred BIS for Ofp... confused_o.gif

Oddness. ArmA feels just right for me in the movement. Balanced just right. In contrast, FP felt clumsy and super slow. Not to mention FPs sprint was nowhere near as nice/effective feeling as ArmAs.

I've only just started to play online a lot with the 1.07 beta patch 2. This patch seems to make it a lot more smoother and it feels like ofp with a lot of extra cool bits. Now a bigger group of people have access to modeling tools at ease and a lot more people are very skilled in that area, i see great addons and mods coming for this game. It's one of the main reasons i love OFP and ArmA, because you can do so much stuff whereas many other games are restricting for addon makers

doesnt even get near, and worst of all the gameplay change has sucked.

See the logo in the web that says " military proven" or something like that??

Well, there you have the explanation, excessive realism has ruined the game for many people.Playing with the soldier just sucks, movement is clunky and you feel more in control of a robot giving commands typing than a real soldier with smooth movement due to the lack of fluent animations, etc.

And dont mention the aim... with the stupid 3d ironsights+ terrible sway and excessive recoil, cqb´s plainly suck.

Two months ago i had to format the hd, and i´ve never wanted to install the game again.

ArmA is more of the same.

If you liked OpFlash, you know what you are getting.

The single player isn't as good. The scenario not so intresting or well suited to the game engine, the missions not as intresting.

Current day technology is poorly implemented.

There are some improvements to the graphics that are unoticeable until you relaunch OpFlash, and then they are very noticeable.

It very much feels and plays just like Flashpoint.

The islands are better fleshed out. Towns are now town sized, Every tree in the forest can be crushed by a tank.

The game is a bit light on content.

The armies do not have equivalent balanced unit types.

The Soviet gear is all second rate and poorly implemented.

If you don't prefer to play as U.S. you won't be feeling a lot of love.

All in if you think of it as a well made mod using contempory textures for todays hardware you should be pretty close to imagining it.

It doesn't bring anything significantly new to the genre.

More of the same.

It's really a must buy for anyone who plays OpFlash.

If you liked it the first time round, you should be good to go again.

I loved OFP, played it since it was released, and I'm loving ArmA just aswell, haven't had a single problem with it. Takes time to get used to certain things, but I got comfortable with it after a week.

Haven't touched OFP much since I got ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]Do any of you guys revisit OFP now?

Yes try OPF. Find WGL5.11 mod. It is wonderful, solid as a rock in MP, many more realistic wepons, and more very challenging missions, than you'll have time to complete in a lifetime.

ArmA is on the way to being as good, or maybe better than OPF, but its not there yet.

Check out the mission Debriefing section of this site for an idea of how OPF feels.

Sad to say my OFP (that you can't even DO cqb in unmodded, or see hundreds in a battle 2000m away) is collecting dust. Be sure your opinion may vary as much as all these on the forum. The best bet is to get it, patch it, and see for yourself. (or go bug a mate that has it to see)

I played and loved OFP. However, I don't get why everyone insists the single-player campaign in OFP is so much better than that of ArmA. Granted, I've only finished the first three missions in ArmA (as well as all the tutorials to refresh my memory), but I still don't get it. If they're refering to the mission objectives and possiblities in execution, then I'll have to wait till I've finished it to say for sure, but it's looking fine to me so far. On the other hand, if they're refering to the storyline (cutscenes and whatnot), whatever! It was ok I guess, but I couldn't care less about character development or plotlines in a strategic combat game. I played it for the combat scenarios, and so far, ArmA looks like a blast. Then again, I'm the type who'd prefer to bypass all cutscenes and just read the mission objectives text.

Also, I recall reading somewhere (could just be a rumor) that someone is planning to port the OFP campaign into ArmA, so if I ever decide to get nostalgic, I'll do it with the new engine.

The only bug I've experienced so far is the sounds of gunfire going mute here and there (though I've just started). No crashes or anything like that yet. I was really worried it would run exactly like the old demo did on my rig (like crap), but even the performance surprised me, again, so far so good.

No regrets here.

Try the demo; I'd never buy a game without trying the demo version first. For game's with no demo, try one of those full evaluation versions, what do you call them? Oh yeah, torrents.

wink_o.gif

Personally, I'm sticking with OFP for the forseeable future. I find ArmA's core gameplay inferior at the moment (clunky movement and overlong animations, poor aiming etc) but I keep it updated and check it out after each patch.

whistle.gif

i have ARMA German version since December but i feel the need to install OFP again in my computer. Its should be otherwise..

i feel the same think that Jaffo mentioned.

Ugh! Now I get it. I started really noticing in the Beaten Dog mission that the enemy AI is stupidly super-accurate...and selective. I would run up to a spot where my teammates are running around willy nilly, go prone, and get killed from 200 yards almost instantly while my teammates, alot of whom are standing/crouching, aren't getting shot. The enemy certainly seems to have a hardon for me, specifically me.

Also, in the next round of missions, after completing one of the secondary missions (take out the vehicle column coming down the road) I start the main mission, and I'm told to plant bombs at the bridge, wait for the signal to blow it up, and then, unbelievably, I'm told to look around for some anti-tank missiles. What?! How realistic is that? There should be some AT weapons lying around somewhere and I should hunt for them?!! Didn't the designers realize how ridiculously contrived that sounds? And while I'm waiting for the signal, I'm hiding in a building, and I take a quick peek around a corner of a hallway to look out a window that's on the other side of a room to see what's coming across the bridge, and a tank on the other side of the bridge instantly starts shooting at me (and naturally hits me).

I'm all for a challenge, but the AI is the equivalent of an instant aimbot and has such superhuman reflexes and accuracy (even from a moving vehicle) that it destroys the realism as much as arcade shooters do, it's just at the other extreme (from ridiculously easy to ridiculously difficult). It's like playing a multiplayer game where I'm the only one who isn't running a cheat hack.

Hopefuly the multiplayer aspect has more redeeming qualities to tide me over until the modders design missions that make a modicum of sense and are actually fun to play. Restarting the same mission a dozen times trying to find a magic spot to lie down where I won't get killed within 2 seconds from a rifle-toting enemy that's 2-3 hundred yards away (while my team-mates standing up beside me aren't getting shot) is about as fun as pulling my toenails out with pliers.

In my opinion, ARMA can't even be put in the same category as OFP. That would be a discrace to OFP.

Things that are far inferior in ARMA:

-Campaign

-Controls

-Interface

-Robotic animation movements

-Some effects like shooting tires are really bad

-Tracers

-The feeling is just missing

OFP beats ARMA in everything except graphics. But people playing this type of game doesn't really care about graphics.

OFP beats ARMA in everything except graphics. But people playing this type of game doesn't really care about graphics.

By making such a claim im starting to believe that either your hw specifications dont allow you to play Arma or you havent played OPF all that much...

If you did play both games and stick to the claim that Arma only improved graphically over OPF then you are a blatant liar huh.gif .

Hi all

In my opinion, ARMA is a lot better than OFP.

Things that are superior in ARMA:

-Mission editing has far more scripting possibilities allowing the users to create far better missions

-Controls double tap and lean are a great addition to the standard OFP commands that are still there and with TrackIR and better Joystick interfaces we can make real use of the updated and improved flight model

-Interface is much better, getting units to pick up new items ammo and weapons is much easier now it is all point and click instead of the the old square bracket menus and radio commands though they still there just like OFP.

-Animation is far more complex than OFP you only have to consider the range of new death animations to prove that though looking at the Wiki proves just how many new anmimations there are overall the animations are more fluid and less robotic than OFP

-The effects are better, vehicles now burn when they blow up instead of turning into clipping origami, ditto buildings now crumble to ruble which once again beats the old OFP origami clipping traps.

-Bullets now ricochet and the beginnings of penetration modeling allow us to shoot through wooden fences and single course block walls the AI knows to do it to

-MP is a thousand times better; massive 60 and even 100 games with JIP and lots of new game forms like Berzerk and evolution. The network code is a thousand times more stable.

-The  whole scripting and programming side is massively improved so expect some amazing new addons soon wink_o.gif

-That feeling from OFP is still there, I still have those Wow moments and the AI now surprises me far more often with its tendency to flank. Nowadays they rank about as bright as a BF Numpty which for an AI is pretty good. And now we can MOD AI so some really amazing things are possible and being worked on  wink_o.gif

OFP is a trusted old friend gathering dust on my shelf next to my Shakespeare.

ArmA has replaced it. yay.gif  yay.gif  yay.gif

Kind Regards walker