Sign in to follow this  
Satchel

"Dynamic Range" OFP Soundreplacement out now!

I sincerely doubt that the reason for your computer's sound being messed up is this sound addon.  That's not even really possible given the way Windows is structured.  

What you should try first is removing and reinstalling your sound card.  If that doesn't work, get a different sound card from a friend and try it in your comp.  

As unlikely a coincidence as it may be, there's a better chance that your sound card just happened to go screwy at the same time you installed this than that the sound pack screwed up the sound on your whole computer.  I don't even see how that would be possible.

By the way Satchel, can I play online with this sound mod if others don't have it? I seem to remember problems with this in earlier versions.

hi there

i installed the soundpack on both my pc's and can report no problems at all 1 pc has a soundblaster live and the other is using onboard

excellent work dude

Some questions i like to answer before they are posted:

Q: Why do MG´s have a tripple shot audio sample when i squeeze only round round off?

A:

1.) MG´s are not fired in single shots, on a bipod they are usually fired in bursts of 3-5 rounds. Actually it´s kind of tricky to tickle of singleshots in real life from a machine gun, in  addition to that it´s unnecessary and not practised.

2.) OFP by default uses the burst recoil mode (for tripple shots, same as M16 burst), even when you only squeeze off 1 round you get recoil for 3 shots. As i don´t wanted to modify recoil suffixes for weapons (and risk lots of incompatibility issues) i did it the way i did.

3.) In OFP AI machine gunners like to fire the MG on pseudo semi automatic, ripping off single shots...which sounds terrible in addition that it´s unrealistic. To overcome this sadness on the field and give you the feeling some pro machine gunners are on your side they now pull of tripple shots or a burst (at least in audio, actually these are still single shots), but sounding much better. The loops are so cut that they work on full auto when continuously manually fired in a single stream.

Q: Tank MG´s and airborne weapon Plattforms don´t have this echo and reverb feeling like all the other guns.

A: I had to decide whether to make a sound for the outside, or inside, not both is possible i guess. When you are sitting behind armor in a noise intense tank, with the gasturbine or dieselengine running, turret turning, you won´t hear any echo or brachial effects refecting from objects when a machinegun is fired, it´s a muffled and dry sound. Actually you don´t hear much of what is outside.

So echo effects are cut for these weapons, as the sound is meant to be heard from inside the tank or airplane, it also gives a slight variation in shots (using burst mode loops here also), else there would be the same "boom" be repeated over and over again.

thanks for the help satchel,, however i have seen how easy it is to aim with your recticle and have switched it back to yours,,,,

ps. what happened to the thudder of the tank tracks that used to be in the original soundpack.

WELL DONE

Ok....I tested the addon a bit and there are a few things I noticed:

- AK and M16 sounds are very weak. They almost sound like they have a silencer or something.

- The handgrenade (and mortar) sounds are more like a 'puff' right now. I understand that they dont produce a Hollywood-style inferno, but right now they just sound like a rather loud smokeshell ignition.

- New turret moving sound doesnt work for some vehicles (M2A2).

- When I tried switching on Hardware acceleration ingame (started the game without), my sound went all crazy (high screeching sound)...this might be my soundcard tho.

- Crawling over the ground hardly makes any sound. Crawling usually is kinda noisy, with all your gear dragging over the ground etc. You might wanna improve that a bit.

- Weapon reloading sounds could use some work IMO. You hear 3 soft clicks and that's it.

I like the new tank sounds (moving, turret, firing, etc), walking sounds...and the rest I still have to check out smile.gif

I'll be back with more results soon.

Oh and one more thing...

I dont like the new crosshair. IMO the crosshair should be as small as possible, and without any colors. This will make it less 'present' to the player, giving it a more realistic feel.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sith @ Feb. 13 2002,20:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok....I tested the addon a bit and there are a few things I noticed:

- AK and M16 sounds are very weak. They almost sound like they have a silencer or something.

- The handgrenade (and mortar) sounds are more like a 'puff' right now. I understand that they dont produce a Hollywood-style inferno, but right now they just sound like a rather loud smokeshell ignition.

- New turret moving sound doesnt work for some vehicles (M2A2).

- When I tried switching on Hardware acceleration ingame (started the game without), my sound went all crazy (high screeching sound)...this might be my soundcard tho.

- Crawling over the ground hardly makes any sound. Crawling usually is kinda noisy, with all your gear dragging over the ground etc. You might wanna improve that a bit.

- Weapon reloading sounds could use some work IMO. You hear 3 soft clicks and that's it.

I like the new tank sounds (moving, turret, firing, etc), walking sounds...and the rest I still have to check out smile.gif

I'll be back with more results soon.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm which soundcard do you use Sith? I use a SB PCI 512 with drivers made who knows when cause CL is crap on making new drivers. Both the AK and M16 are very close to what I've heard in real life, although I find the AK,M60, and PK to have alot/excessive echo after a shot (guessing sound clip was in a firing range with alot of flat walls or hills around) but it ain't too bad. Handgrenades are pretty loud to me with more of a bang than the original. And now when I'm crawling I hear alot of equipment scrape and rustling, alot more than the original (good thing). And when I reload I hear a distinct removal of old magazine, insertion of new magazine and cocking of the breech.

However I 'think' its working so well for me is because I can use Hardware accel without a problem and I don't even have to turn it off and then on after loading the program like the readme suggests. The HA may be the fatal flaw with this for most people.

Hmm, could you post an audio take of the soundmod and how it sounds on your comp Sith?

Here is how the M16 and AK74 should sound, also in your OFP:

M16 burst

AK-74 burst

P.S:

The M2A2 Bradley uses it´s own config.cpp file, i didn´t see a way of modifying it´s sound references via the general "master" config.cpp in the /BIN folder.

This is true for all ultimate upgrade addons that have their own config.cpp (.bin) files for configuration. For now it looks like every addon would need to be reworked to have correct new sounds.

BTW the mod was done on a SBLive Value with HW acceleration disabled in OPF, although OFP gives me heavy crackle and general screwed sounds with HW enabled, this is non soundmod related and was a problem long before i planned to make a soundmod,, it´s either a driver or ofp thing, or both. Especially on SBLive+VIA+OPF+WinXP= hazardous config sad.gif.

I just want to say thanks Satchel...the new sound pack is great!! smile.gif

It would help to know the addons you are running in addition  if you are experiencing problems. Especially if there are 2 config.cpp´s in the /BIN folder, or 1 config.cpp and 1 config.bin or even more.

So we can locate the cause for sounds not playing as they should on some system setups.

I for one use quite some addons, including all UCE units, Custom markers, desert units, Delta Force, and some own stuff,

in all i have about 30-40 addons in the addons folder, running without problems after removing all objects addon for the Editor, and the jungle addon .

Well for me , miraculously the Sound mod appears to have cleared up the 'crackle' problem i used to get with HW acceleration (mostly running/crawling)

biggrin.gif Not Bad!

Thanks Satchel!

and now that youve explained the 3 round sample for MGs i have to say i have just about 0 complaints smile.gif .

now im going back to test the sounds i havent heard yet....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm which soundcard do you use Sith? I use a SB PCI 512 with drivers made who knows when cause CL is crap on making new drivers. Both the AK and M16 are very close to what I've heard in real life, although I find the AK,M60, and PK to have alot/excessive echo after a shot (guessing sound clip was in a firing range with alot of flat walls or hills around) but it ain't too bad. Handgrenades are pretty loud to me with more of a bang than the original. And now when I'm crawling I hear alot of equipment scrape and rustling, alot more than the original (good thing). And when I reload I hear a distinct removal of old magazine, insertion of new magazine and cocking of the breech.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm....looks like your sounds are the exact oposite of mine then sad.gif

I have a Terratec DMX X Fire 1024 (doesnt run very well in combination with Win XP). I guess the problem lies with the drivers, so I hope they bring out better XP drivers soon.

My AK and M16 miss that 'bang' that makes em sound like a real gun. Right now I get so much echo, it sounds like a silencer. Same happens to nades...they just dont have any 'boom' to them, just alot of echos. And I dont get much sounds while crawling or reloading confused.gif

Herer are some more things that came up while testing...but I think you can put them all on my soundcard's account...

- The CH47 has a very loud 'turbine' type sound while in-flight. This is so loud that the Chinook's familiar 'thumping' sound is almost gone. It sounds more like a jet than a Chinook.

- With most choppers (especially the CH47) you hardly hear the engine in the cockpit. I'd understand this if it were because of the ear-protection you're usually wearing in choppers, but since all weapon sounds do sound very loud, I dont think that's the case...

- Jeeps and Hummers make a very loud crackling sound while driving (like if you're driving through the woods and r breaking alot of branches). It is much louder than the engine sounds themselves, resulting a rather weird driving experience.

I have some more, but I'm off for some sleep now (didnt get much last night). I'll see if I can contact some guys over at BIS tomorrow and talk a bit about what could be done to fix the various issues.

Good luck, good night.

Sith out.

ok I really dig the new sounds. Why can`t a combat sim just arrive with this quality of sound right outta the gates? lol Well done Satchel.   I have only tried the Battle at the end of the sp missions list, but it sounded amazing. The only thing that didn`t seem right was the reload sound.  It seemed to be either really non existant, or too low in its actual aural effect. I liked the ingame one a tad better in its beefy solid sound.

Can the reload sound be beefed up at tad?  thx  The tank firing and explosions are amazing.  I like that the breathing sounds when running are not so in your face. Loads of subtle stuff to peruse here, but so far so good. {S}

"And when I reload I hear a distinct removal of old magazine, insertion of new magazine and cocking of the breech."

I cannot hear these distinct sounds. I will go in again and try this with no battle sounds around me and see if this is more audible.

addendum:

ok if no action is happening I can hear the reload sounds, but IMHO they could be made a tad more audible. Just a slight niggle, but if I could hear it a tad more cripser is would feel more solid. Damn fine work here tho. {S}

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shataan @ Feb. 13 2002,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok I really dig the new sounds. Why can`t a combat sim just arrive with this quality of sound right outta the gates? lol Well done Satchel.   I have only tried the Battle at the end of the sp missions list, but it sounded amazing. The only thing that didn`t seem right was the reload sound.  It seemed to be either really non existant, or too low in its actual aural effect. I liked the ingame one a tad better in its beefy solid sound.

Can the reload sound be beefed up at tad?  thx  The tank firing and explosions are amazing.  I like that the breathing sounds when running are not so in your face. Loads of subtle stuff to peruse here, but so far so good. {S}

"And when I reload I hear a distinct removal of old magazine, insertion of new magazine and cocking of the breech."

I cannot hear these distinct sounds. I will go in again and try this with no battle sounds around me and see if this is more audible.<span id='postcolor'>

Well the use of the word distinct was a very poor choice.

There are two clicks and a third longer sound a mix between a click and a slide I guess. From what I've used in rifles these would go along with releasing the old magazine, inserting the new on, and then cocking the rifle to chamber the first round to fire.

The sounds aren't distinct for individual rifles, they aren't really distinct to any rifle I would say but they are better than the original OFP clink clink when reloading.

oh hell yes they are better reloading sounds, I just cannot HEAR them very well. It kinda throws me off a bit, unbalances me when I cannot hear the reload. A litle bit louder and it would help, well me anyways.

I just replayed the 1st mission in the campaigne. I am too impressed for words. The heli sounds are now like they really are flying over. The blade sounds are just too cool. I may replay Flashpoint thru again, because really this new sound pack mod makes FP IMHO a totally new and more attractive an experience.

About the crosshair? I really dig the green color and how it seems to not be intrusive on my view, the white one before always caught my attention way too much. If anything could be changed on this new one for my personal improvement, I would cut off the top half of it and make it a half lower circle. The red dot is cool.

But if it cannot be altered, I can surely live with whats there.

The more I hear this, the more amazing this sound pack gets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok I really dig the new sounds. Why can`t a combat sim just arrive with this quality of sound right outta the gates? lol Well done Satchel.   I have only tried the Battle at the end of the sp missions list, but it sounded amazing. The only thing that didn`t seem right was the reload sound.  It seemed to be either really non existant, or too low in its actual aural effect. I liked the ingame one a tad better in its beefy solid sound.

I cannot hear these distinct sounds. I will go in again and try this with no battle sounds around me and see if this is more audible.<span id='postcolor'>

Well the use of the word distinct was a very poor choice.

There are two clicks and a third longer sound a mix between a click and a slide I guess. From what I've used in rifles these would go along with releasing the old magazine, inserting the new on, and then cocking the rifle to chamber the first round to fire.

The sounds aren't distinct for individual rifles, they aren't really distinct to any rifle I would say but they are better than the original OFP clink clink when reloading.<span id='postcolor'>

For the magazine reload there are 2 distinctive "clicks" and a "clang" in the normal reload sound sample, the rest are environmental sounds playing into, meant to simulate handling of the weapon and magazines, like aiming it, changing firemode selector, rattling of the handguard or equipment caused by this action, collision of the buttstock with equipment pieces on your load bearing harness etc. In the german army the weapon is reloaded with firemode selector in the "safe" position, you secure the weapon before the magazine is pulled out, put the new one in, and unsecure it for firing when you have your target lined up again, this also produces additional clicking noises, that are faint but noticable.

I just DL-ed it, checked if i have another config.cpp and installed the whole thing without careing about my other addons or setting hard-accel off.

And ?

JESUS ! IT RUNS / SOUNDS LIKE HELL !

I played this big attack-mission that came with the gold update (only for 1 Ghz+) and it was quite an experience !!! When the first grenade goes off the BOOM-sounds makes you hit the ground !!!

Then i played a Heli-mission - wow - great sounds, everywhere !

What can i say ?

A BIG F**KING THANK YOU. Thank you for putting OpFlash to another level. Must've been hard to figure out & test the whole thing, but you finally did it !

Thank you ... and good night 8)

I concur, many kudos and thx to Satchel. {S} Before his upgrade it was a game. Now it feels more like a combat "Experience". If an FP 2 ever sees the light of day, they should pay Satchel to do the sound for it. I`d buy it for sure. Satchels sound effects, and hopefully the U.S. Land Warrior system is utilized in the next version. wOOOt

Hey Satchel.. the sound mod is excellent.. however i have noticed the same problem, that someone in a previous post mentioned..

The AK and M16 sound muffled / weak. However if I turn my body/head while shooting when the sound stage moves to the side, then the sound seems to improve dramatically.. adding a lot more treble and clarity to the sound.. Just wondered if it was something to do with the sound placement cancelling out the sound to a degree? Other weapons so far sound fine.. I will download those samples you linked above when I get home (im at work atm) and compare. Only other thing i can think of is the grey reticle tends to get lost in the bushes.. Love the new soundpack tho.. top stuff smile.gif

Yes im using an SB Live, with Hawrdware and EAX both disabled. Hope the info on my moving while shooting, changing the quality of the sounds provides some idea.. Also radio commands (oh no 3 is down) also sound far more muffled now.. weird!

cheers

Hi Satchell and thanks for the pack!  Overall it's a whole new world, and I love your sense of atmosphere.  It feels real.  There are a few bits that I would like to point out as constructive critisism.  I know you may not be in the mood for it after such exhaustive work, but they were the only noticable things that spoilt it a bit for me.  

#1, if you play Clean Sweep 2 in Sp, and go prone, notice the low hum that starts as soon as you press the walk key.  It is a background hum in the clip and between walking it goes away.  Sounds a bit like a big amplifier being turned on.

#2. The rain (which most of the time is hardly visible) is way to loud. Also it seems to come and go. Try playing Steal the car Sp mission, and creep about behind the houses. It suddenly started to play the rain sound increasingly louder, then it stopped. Then it did it again a few times. Anway, too loud.

3# The varied handgrenade blast is a little constrasting.. The one is clear and loud, the other muffled and low. Not a bad sound, but a little weird when you throw two identical nades into the same patch of field in front of you.

4# The US Law soldier, has this clanking sound when he runs. It sounds like it's supposed to be water sloshing in his canteena (sp?), but it is so overbearing it sounds like he's a pot salesman or a Swiss cow smile.gif

Thats about it.. You know I only critisise because it's so close to perfect wink.gif When you get back in the mood, see if you agree on the above.

Thanks again! Great work (and a lot of it!)

Konyak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ Feb. 13 2002,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For the magazine reload there are 2 distinctive "clicks" and a "clang" in the normal reload sound sample, the rest are environmental sounds playing into, meant to simulate handling of the weapon and magazines, like aiming it, changing firemode selector, rattling of the handguard or equipment caused by this action, collision of the buttstock with equipment pieces on your load bearing harness etc. In the german army the weapon is reloaded with firemode selector in the "safe" position, you secure the weapon before the magazine is pulled out, put the new one in, and unsecure it for firing when you have your target lined up again, this also produces additional clicking noises, that are faint but noticable.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes there would be many audible sounds of someone reloading. I was mearly pointing out the main ones that come to mind and appear to be apparent in the new Sounds. I would not expect nor think you would implement all the sounds that would be involved in reloading a weapon. Let alone for each different weapon.

The sounds of various bits of equipment clinking off each other when you walk and run, duck and crawl are great, if not downright awesome. This is why alot of veteran units, especially ones that are employed in tasks where you don't want to be seen, tape over metal pieces of gear (i.e. harnesses, clips, braces,etc. etc.) nothing like sneaking around on recon going clink... clink... clink.... clink... clink...

Crap. I knew I would find something. On my system with EAX off and HA on or off the rain sound gets alittle loud, especially when there are not any other sounds for OFP's sound scaling to pick up on.

Kinda goes like this, hey the rain sound is better than the original......... k either its raining harder or my sound is going wacky...........what are we in a hurricane?............... OMG my ears my ears the rain!!!!

P.S. It got so bad in the Mission revenge I was firing off random rounds just to get the sound to tone down a little for a bit.

And here I was thinking Satchels original soundpack was near perfect. You fixed the m60 machine gun sounds, the pk, and just about any little nit-picking thing I can think of. WEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL done, Id say. Better sounds than Medal of honor now, IMO.

I tried Bomberman, but didn`t notice rain to be too loud really. I will retry it tho to make sure. About the reticle? Leave as is. I love it now. Do not alter the reticle. *sniffle* hehheh

Still think reload could be a smidgeon louder.... *gasp* The sniper rifle report in Bomberman was CHOICE. Tasty. Why couldn`t we have had this pack when the game was released? wOOOt

Wow! I never thought this day would come.

I can't wait to get into OFP with these sounds... I don't know how to thank you! smile.gif