Sign in to follow this  
Exaercase

If you have a 8800 don't download the V1.07 Beta !

Hello,

[APS]Gnat with the risk to repeat my ord i want say it's you that don't understand the role of Beta Version in Softoware Developement (game are one) : Beta is a very advanced version that you release to be test by user (And so many more config that the developement stutdio could have) and you developer WANT that user say the problems. It's not a version that player test and are happy if this version work and say nothing if that don't work.

moreover with topic about we could exchange us problem and us configuration and modification that work not work etc ... all of it could be use be Bohmeia for stabilize the Final Version

Once again Beta is not to give a version to make happy player but it's a Work Version that have a utility only if bhomeia have return

see you smile_o.gif

Ok just tried that

It adds a jitter ( brief pause ) every few seconds

The LOD issue is still there

88800gtx with 158.19 drivers

Also just reopened file and the original value of 258998271 has been put back in by arma

Also just reopened file and the original value of 258998271 has been put back in by arma

I write protected the config.

Sad to hear that this "trick" does not work for everyone..

MfG Lee

I think the problem might depend on the settings.

Shataan posted earlier that he runs everything maxed, but 1024x768 without AA or AF, my previous GF6 card could pull that crazy_o.gif .

With 1.7 beta most shadows dont even work above normal setting... graphical quality loss is very noticeable.

BIS say its a nvidia driver problem, i had absolutely zero problems in 1.4, 1.5 and 1.5 beta other than shadder detail eating my fps when looking at a bunch of tress.

I was thinking about taking some comparison pics of the same scene with both 1.5b and 1.7b but i was so horrified that i dont want to instal 1.7beta again.

I only experienced the LOD bug when flying above North Sahrani but the performance hit in the forest really sucked.

Im praying for 1.7 final to bring back the good performance and quality, untill then 1.5 will do.

Geforce 8800GTX 768mb, Core2 Dualcore (2x 3.33ghz), 2GB DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 1t

Windows Vista 64-bit 160.03, no LOD errors, though sometimes the System Memory Mapping error.

Settings: Very High, 5000 viewdistance, though AA on low and Shadows on Normal (Due to Shadow bug).

In XP-32bit I tested the Local and non Local videomemory usage and read the results back in the Rivatuner 2.0 application. Usually there was 400-500mb Local Video Memory used and about 1-10mb Non Local Video Memory, hence the setting doesn't change much for me. Even though the paging file is set to 4096mb. Non local video memory is supposed to be RAM btw.

you developer WANT that user say the problems. It's not a version that player test and are happy if this version work and say nothing if that don't work.

But read your forum thread title again Exaercase .....

.... it says "don't download the V1.07 Beta !"

Thats not good feedback for BIS or community players.

It is misleading and doesn't reflex what some like myself have experienced ..... improved graphics and no errors.

There are plenty of other good discussion threads in this forum about 8800 cards where people can say what does and doesnt work for them.

You guys should really read some posts here. Here's what Suma had to say this afternoon in one of the earlier threads:
Quote[/b] ]

Do you own an 8800GTx card for your development machines?

Quote[/b] ]

Yes, we do own a few of them.

<span style='color:red'>Unfortunately I have to say the drivers for them are not very mature and reliable. There seem to be quite serious problems in the area of VRAM allocation on the driver side, which are communicating with nVidia, however I cannot give any estimate when they will be solved.</span>

You know... I find that statement very odd... very odd indeed. How come every other game I play maxed out graphics wise? Except this one? How come THIS is the ONLY game with LOD and TEXTURE issues? You telling me nVidia is wrong with 95% of the games working just fine and this one is not?!?! Come the hell on!!!

I do just fine with F.E.A.R., S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Silent Hunter 4, Medieval 2 Total War, Rainbow Six Vegas, Battlefield 2142, Rome Total War, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Supreme Commander... how come THIS is the ONLY game with mega problems...?

Sounds to me like it's a coding issue... not a damn VRAM memory addressing issue. I'd agree if I saw the same issues in other games... but this... sorry not buying it.

The game was released early and unfinished. That's all there's to it. I mean gimme a break... a +400MB patch right after its released?! Come the heck on!!!

Bad drivers... my arse... sounds like some people don't have the gonads to fess up.

All GF8800 user, please try this:

In the ArmA.cfg set the nonlocalVRAM= to "0"

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">nonlocalVRAM=0

Just tested this and got no LOD or Texture errors.

Please report your results!

MfG Lee

Nope... doesn't work. Sets that variable back to the same value after I get out of the game and check that file... Trying more nonlocalVRAM to see if that works...

why is arma the only game that have problem?

no one knows, suma said that its because ArmA are using something that normal games wont use. why? because they have to. why? i am no programer, ask them, not me

oh right, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, i have to reinstall my driver once a week because of that, this may give you some idea how sucks the driver we currently have is

Making the amount of nonlocalVRAM higher doesn't matter either... Once you're out of the game, the quantity is back to the original amount.

Oh... and as far as your driver issue... Sounds to me like you have a crappy driver or OS install. Not in my 20 years of gaming (i'm much older than that even) have I ever had to constantly reinstall drivers because of a game. Beyond that... I've been working in the IT field for the last 8 years and I've NEVER seen any instance that required that drivers be reinstalled after a few times of gameplaying. Maybe you should check out your hard drive, set your pagefile to a static size, disable anti-virus software when installing drivers, etc... I can almost bet my life's saving that playing a game won't mess up your video drivers unless there's another underlying issue such as a messed up driver install, a bad hard drive or some of the other things I mentioned...

On a side note... wtf do you mean by "ArmA may use something normal games don't use? Normal? It's not like Arma is that crazy of game? Oblivion... hello!? Large playing field? Ballistics... arrows? Hell... the AI is even better in Oblivion... you don't have these Omnipotent soldiers that can pinpoint your exact location just cause you stepped on a twig 500 yards away... great AI. And guess what... I don't have graphical glitches right after I install it... or after 8 months of playing it...!

OFP never had its strong suite in the AI... it rocked at MP... and it's the same with ArmA... hell... it almost feels just like OFP and in my long times of gameplaying... I think they reused a lot of code from OFP... they just improved the graphics engine a little and updated some textures... cause this AI feels exactly the same as OFP's. Omnipotent-see-your-ass-from-1000yds-at-night-in-the-bushes-and-peg-you-with-a-pistol-AI.

And who the heck was the military consultant for this game? Obviously no one! Who the hell has to STOP to reload?! What professional soldier has to come to a complete and utter HALT to reload?! Come the hell on!? If you're going to present this game as a semi-realistic game, at least have SOMEONE consulting on this...!!

Let me send BI my frickin' DD214 and they won't even have to pay me to consult with me. Cause it's quite obvious they have no fricking clue about the basics in modern warfare.

You know... BI is a great company, but I seriously expected better from them. Much better.

It beats me what your off-topic jabber about consultants etc is doing in a technical thread about GF 8800 and v1.07 Beta, but i'll respond...

Hahahaha, comparing to Oblivion???

You mean that game where enemies popup 30meters in front of you??

You mean that game where you have to 'load' a level when you go inside a town or inside a building?

You mean that game where nothing in the world is really doing anything/moving/going on except in the player Area? (All the rest is calculated or dictated by that Radiant AI table thing!wink_o.gif - Ergo; a Usual of ~5-15 AI-Entities active at once.

ArmA - The massive amount of terrain, AI-units, buildings, no load screens and other stuff make ArmA very heavy on some components in certain areas, there is no comparison possible with any other game.

Also every game uses different DirectX features, not to mention the differences of strain a game can deliver to your system and in what area of your system.

It has no use to compare different games with eachother...

If you don't like something... how about some constructive critisism posted as Feature Requests on the BTS instead?

Incase you haven't noticed; BIS is fixing and adding features every week!

work good in my system the new 1,07 patch... ok some problem sometimes but is fine... i have a 8800gtx..

Making the amount of nonlocalVRAM higher doesn't matter either... Once you're out of the game, the quantity is back to the original amount.

Oh... and as far as your driver issue... Sounds to me like you have a crappy driver or OS install. Not in my 20 years of gaming (i'm much older than that even) have I ever had to constantly reinstall drivers because of a game. Beyond that... I've been working in the IT field for the last 8 years and I've NEVER seen any instance that required that drivers be reinstalled after a few times of gameplaying. Maybe you should check out your hard drive, set your pagefile to a static size, disable anti-virus software when installing drivers, etc... I can almost bet my life's saving that playing a game won't mess up your video drivers unless there's another underlying issue such as a messed up driver install, a bad hard drive or some of the other things I mentioned...

On a side note... wtf do you mean by "ArmA may use something normal games don't use? Normal? It's not like Arma is that crazy of game? Oblivion... hello!? Large playing field? Ballistics... arrows? Hell... the AI is even better in Oblivion... you don't have these Omnipotent soldiers that can pinpoint your exact location just cause you stepped on a twig 500 yards away... great AI. And guess what... I don't have graphical glitches right after I install it... or after 8 months of playing it...!

OFP never had its strong suite in the AI... it rocked at MP... and it's the same with ArmA... hell... it almost feels just like OFP and in my long times of gameplaying... I think they reused a lot of code from OFP... they just improved the graphics engine a little and updated some textures... cause this AI feels exactly the same as OFP's. Omnipotent-see-your-ass-from-1000yds-at-night-in-the-bushes-and-peg-you-with-a-pistol-AI.

And who the heck was the military consultant for this game? Obviously no one! Who the hell has to STOP to reload?! What professional soldier has to come to a complete and utter HALT to reload?! Come the hell on!? If you're going to present this game as a semi-realistic game, at least have SOMEONE consulting on this...!!

Let me send BI my frickin' DD214 and they won't even have to pay me to consult with me. Cause it's quite obvious they have no fricking clue about the basics in modern warfare.

You know... BI is a great company, but I seriously expected better from them. Much better.

- updated ballistics (ricochet, penetration)

- better (like.... 100x better) handling of high number of unit, like NO OTHER FPS in the market can handle. But obviously, that's a point that you shall dismiss, it's that easy to achieve icon_rolleyes.gif

- unbeaten terrain size and view distance. Oblivion is small in comparison (mind you, I love Oblivion too, ArmA + Oblivion are the 2 only games I play atm)

- better MP code (compared to OFP. Now rather on par with market standards. Sidenote : Oblivion has no netcode)

- customizable AI

- many OFP addon limitation removed (island size, number of vehicle turrets, wheeled missile carrier, etc...)

And I didn't list everything...

Those that say ArmA is only OFP w/ updated graphics are either seriously mislead, or simply lying.

Part of these elements are what makes ArmA special compared to other games too. Scale, mainly, which will put a high load on your graphic parts. Which will lead to graphical issues, some you usually do not encounter in other games. It's that simple.

And we're far from perfection, I completely agree. But what you say above is not true.

Now back on topic, Sickboy indicated in another thread something that seems to be very helpfull for 8800 users expermenting LOD & textures issues since 1.07 beta : use -maxmem=512 or -maxmem=768 in your ArmA shortcut. I already helped someone I know owning a 8800 and having bad LOD & textures + CTD and game freezes with 1.07 beta, which all completely disappeared with -maxmem=512.

You know... I find that statement very odd... very odd indeed. How come every other game I play maxed out graphics wise? Except this one? How come THIS is the ONLY game with LOD and TEXTURE issues? You telling me nVidia is wrong with 95% of the games working just fine and this one is not?!?! Come the hell on!!!

I do just fine with F.E.A.R., S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Silent Hunter 4, Medieval 2 Total War, Rainbow Six Vegas, Battlefield 2142, Rome Total War, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Supreme Commander... how come THIS is the ONLY game with mega problems...?

Sounds to me like it's a coding issue... not a damn VRAM memory addressing issue. I'd agree if I saw the same issues in other games... but this... sorry not buying it.

The game was released early and unfinished. That's all there's to it. I mean gimme a break... a +400MB patch right after its released?! Come the heck on!!!

Bad drivers... my arse... sounds like some people don't have the gonads to fess up.

i also play SH4 and MTW2 regularly, finished stalker and dumped it,  and by that you should know that these games also came out extremely bugged, especially SH4 and stalker, inumerous patches, 600Mb patch for MTW2, so...i really dont understand wft you are talking about. Hell, the first time i installed SH4 i deleted it immediatly...it had no AntiAliasing support...lol. Stalker had more bugs than i care to talk about.

But yes, it seems games are released in a "beta" stage nowadays, maybe its a way to keep up with publishers commitments and this way with the profits from the sales they can continue improving the game.  And if OFP set the standard for BIS excellent community support and interaction, great things are to be expected  smile_o.gif

edit: you are trying to compare games that are completely different, hardware and software wise, hell, i can run MTW2 so high that the game will crash cause it cant handle my settings, not my hardware limitation i guarantee you, the game itself freaks out if you max it all up and alt-tab.

BF series has small maps, Stalker has loading areas, respawning enemies in front of you etc, so does Oblivion (which i also run at max settings with Qarl's Texture Pack III), and much less AI...so really, you just got it all wrong.

Ok... I admit it... I was just taking low pot-shots... but it just get aggravating, you know?

I had such high hopes for this game and to immediately get bombarded with textures not updating fast enough, a spherical watertower (the first sniper mission) that's square when you get to the top of it and takes about 5 seconds to fix itself... that's just rediculous.

Or, how about crouching on on the slope near the summit of a hill in the middle of the night, about 500yds away from the enemy and then having them locate you after you shot a guy that's off in the corner away from other people with a silenced and flash suppressed weapon???

And dare I say it again... only having the ability to reload when fully stopped. Alright... the LAW/RPG I understand... but come on... quick react drills? CQB? They all require loading while moving...

Overall the game has a great scale and I really do like it... but there are just too many things that to me feel like common sense aren't right.

Anywho I'm done bitchin'

oh no not the Oblivion bashing again ...

please try to understood that Oblivion MODIFIED by INI tweaks allows of preload of tens to hundreds cells (of 3GB+ machine with quad core with powerful GPU)

Oblivion natively supports multiple CPUs/multipleCores ...

You can set it in way where your preload KMs around You including AI life ...

but You need powerful machine and lot of work to tweak ...

now lets end the Oblivion this or that ....

it's good game but way too different to ArmA to try direct compare ...

now lets end the Oblivion this or that ....

it's good game but way too different to ArmA to try direct compare ...

My point has never been otherwise, I'm also an Oblivion player myself smile_o.gif I was simply trying to give an idea on why you can't compare the games smile_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]I had such high hopes for this game
No problem in that but to my opinion people kill their own pleasure with these "high hopes", ur hopes might be justified, just not in the first 6 months of a BIS Game release smile_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]Overall the game has a great scale and I really do like it... but there are just too many things that to me feel like common sense aren't right.
It's highly-likely that these kinds of things will either be fixed, resolved, changed etc. etc. in the future. BIS seems to support their games quite well when it comes to bug-fixing and feature-adding.

If you compare the impossiblity of Reloading-while-moving with the problems some ppl have with the game, I guess Reloading-while-moving can wait a few weeks right smile_o.gif

The feature possibly is already requested on the BTS:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net

what was the last version of OFP u played?huh.gif v1.01

No, i didn't think so

stop whining about patches

Played ArmA for months with 7900GTO with no problems at all.

Just replaced the GTO with a brand new 8800 board, and ArmA 1.07beta is overcrowed with graphic bugs.

Played ArmA for months with 7900GTO with no problems at all.

Just replaced the GTO with a brand new 8800 board, and ArmA 1.07beta is overcrowed with graphic bugs.

You went to the 5157 beta build? (The extra patch). That build fixes it for all ppl with 8800's that i personally know.

1.07.5157 : plenty of gfx bugs : funny squared trees, building with no textures at all, flat (Kind of 2D) soldiers and much more ...

Will try back 1.05   wink_o.gif

Driver 158.22 wink_o.gif

1.07.5157 : plenty of gfx bugs : funny squared trees, building with no textures at all, flat (Kind of 2D) soldiers and much more ...

Will try back 1.05 wink_o.gif

Which Driver Release?

Reports of good results on:

160.02/3

165.xx

Though most ppl needed to add: -maxmem=768 to their shortcuts (or in case of less than 1.5gb of RAM: -maxmem=512). This was to prevent crashes etc in most cases.

Driver releases available from: www.guru3d.com

Why not using -maxmem=1024 with 2 Gb RAM

Driver 158.22

Why not using -maxmem=1024 with 2 Gb RAM

Driver 158.22

Because in my tests and tests of others, higher -maxmem setting than 768 was causing the problems..