Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

GameSpy review

Click here for review

ArmA: Combat Operations gets 3 stars out of 5

oh well wish they can "reupdate" it with 1.07

Quote[/b] ]ArmA is a completely unforgiving beast

rofl.gif This deserves to be quoted! I'm going to put that to my sig.

Huh...

For a 3/5 score that review was surprisingly positive.

Huh...

You shall never look at the score wink_o.gif

Huh...

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps a four would of been fairer. Although because of the reviewers comments about ArmA being a very challanging game, this may have knocked one point off.

I think its a good review of ArmA from a general gaming site. I think it covers well what one would experience playing, especially for people who have never played OFP. I like how it mentions that if GRAW and Vegas are to easy then give ArmA a shot. Helps keep people who thought those were to hard away.

I can see how many gamers would give up on ArmA quickly if its their first tactical FPS. Many just want to hop in a game and go without learning how to play. I first skipped out on OFP as I was just getting into tactical shooters from regular FPS and it was too much. So I went with GR and RvS. With those under my belt tried OFP again and it all just clicked.

If it was a more hardcore/sim site then I would think it was being rated too low. I see nothing wrong with calling it "Fair" though converting the 3 of 5 stars to percent does make it too low (60%) when I think 75% is better considering the sites main audience. I rate it higher but I like hard/complicated games. I blame growing up on Microprose sims on my C64 for my sim addiction smile_o.gif

"...comparing it to something like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is like comparing IL-2 Sturmovik to Combat. If this concept scares you, then run away: ArmA will eat you up and spit you out..."

Haha, I love it.

Decent review. Im surprised the main stream Gamespy wasn't more critical of ArmA. Since they are used to ultra high frame rates, tons of eye candy graphics and slick user interfaces. I'll take their 3/5. Because I know the game is better than that.

I don't know about the controls, they feel good to me, and they can be remapped quite a lot. Did the guy notice you can reduce the freeaim to nothing if you don't like it ? and what about track IR ? and the editor huh.gif?huh.gif?

When you utilize almost every single key on the keyboard for this game... its impossible to make it a button mashing experience for 5/5.

"Not only that, but rather than having the mouselook feature move the camera like in a conventional shooter, there is a small invisible window of movement in the center of your screen where you can move your weapon without actually affecting where the camera is pointed."

Turn your floating point to 0..... Apparently they dont mess with settings over at gamespy.

Quote[/b] ]Where ArmA really hits its stride is in its mission design. There are some spectacular scenarios here. Sure, there are the usual defend or search-and-destroy missions, but they're threaded together to feel like a real battle. In one mission you'll lay demo charges on a bridge and blow it after an armored column crosses it. You'll then use anti-tank weapons to harrass the column, fall back to a more secure location, and fight off a counter-attack.

These are sweeping actions that make you feel like you're in a real military campaign with real military objectives, as opposed to a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. The fact that there's nothing "Hollywood" about ArmA is its greatest strength;

Well, I think this is a mission most OFP/ArmA players criticize for being absolutely unrealistic. xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The result is that the already-clunky controls feel even worse now. To make ArmA as realistic as possible, your mouse movement is tied to your avatar's arms, so as you move your mouse your arms will move your weapon. This means that if you aim at something on the extreme upper-left-hand corner of your screen your own arms will obstruct your view, which quickly gets frustrating.

crazy_o.gif

What do they expect? It's normal that your arms obstruct your view when you're aiming the upperlefthand corner of your screen. Switch to ironsight you dummies... tounge2.gif

spartan graphics ? crazy_o.gif would they call Oblivion graphics Spartan ? crazy_o.gif ahh , they must have been playing with a 8800 graphic card... biggrin_o.gif (just joking nener.gif )