Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

I think it was a mistake to even mention Game2..

It gives the impression that continued dev. support for ArmA will be lacking as resources are being put toward it's successor already.

Great modders are less likely to put forth as much time and effort as they would otherwise if they know this is just an "in between" game. I'm not saying great total conversion mods like ACE aren't coming, but it's probable that they won't be as good as they would have been if the modders knew that there wouldn't be another OFP sequel for a long while.

It's just a little disappointing really, leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I mean it's probably good for stockholders or whatever, but it's not good for gamers for game sequels to be in development when the present game still has so many problems yet to be fixed.

It's kind of like catching your girlfriend oggling some other guy.

I guess you know something about Game2 that we don't, hmn?

Show me a release date. Show me a shred of recent information about it. Show me ANYTHING that makes you think it will be out anytime soon.

You're assuming too much with too little knowledge.

Dslyecxi BI left the impression that we will see Game2 "soon" after ArmA since ArmA was supposed to be the cookie on the way.

They did that without saying that.

We had a prick of politician running around in Germany shouting "pensions are safe". He was a liar, but generations of politicians did the same over decades, but in a way where you can say "they said that.

Do you defend this behavior?

And if I see ArmA engine as it is, there is definitely a need for Game 2. ASAP!

I&I am I hearing you telling BIS to rush Game2?

I&I am I hearing you telling BIS to rush Game2?

Yeah thats always good, just look at how few complains ArmA got because it was released too early! tounge2.gif

Game2 shouldnt be out before summer 2009, and it probably wont anyway..

Dslyecxi BI left the impression that we will see Game2 "soon" after ArmA since ArmA was supposed to be the cookie on the way.

We had a prick of politician running around in Germany shouting "pensions are safe". He was a liar, but generations of politicians did the same over decades, but in a way where you can say "they said that.

how can they work on both projects (ARMA and GAME 2) at same time? crazy_o.gif

It's crazy!! Your asking the impossible.

BIS team is like 10 or 15 people.

I bet the will finish ARMA and only then they will recontinue GAME 2.

I don't believe GAME 2 be out before 2009

this is forum related to ArmA and not Game2

please next time use "Next generation PC game" section of forum ...

MODEDIT: moving ...

ASAP = As Soon As Possible = Make ArmA stable + Almost bug free then go Game2

The thing is that BI needs to jump between to many construction yards: ArmA+VBS2+(later)Game2

I was of course demanding ArmA asap after waiting for years.

But I expressed several times releasing ArmA 1.00 as public demo would have been the better choice.

No this post is specifically referring to ARMA and how the mention of "Game2" could potentially impact future support for this game. Use your grey matter. Think outside your box.

how can they work on both projects (ARMA and GAME 2) at same time?  crazy_o.gif

i'd say they can because both titles will be built on top of the same core engine, which is constantly being improved with every patch. so ARMA is in fact an early beta of game 2 smile_o.gif

Maybe we interpret asap differently, but capital letters and an exclamationpoint: ASAP! Hardly ever means: Pretty please with sugar on top, in your own time, when you're ready.

ArmA is the inbetween game, between OFP, OFP2 and Game2. ArmA will steal some of Codemaster's wind and give BIS a living chance to they gear up for the competition. BIS had to get something outthere, before Codemaster would release OFP2 and try to rewrite history. They'd steal the orginal OFP's thunder and make a killing in sales, with TV adds claiming to be the true sequal of OFP.

how can they work on both projects (ARMA and GAME 2) at same time? crazy_o.gif

It's crazy!! Your asking the impossible.

BIS team is like 10 or 15 people.

I bet the will finish ARMA and only then they will recontinue GAME 2.

I don't believe GAME 2 be out before 2009

It was explained an an article before, BIS is split into 3 teams. One is a group of 5 or so guys working on the engine/technology, one is working on ArmA and another on Game2.

Many ArmA devs have probably moved onto Game2 now.

In all honesty unless BIS manage to pull a show stopper out of their magic hat that helps rescue ArmA I'm afraid it is already dead in the water its just sinking slowly.

The best thing they could do today is release the tools to the moding community let them add the extra content that this game is crying out for, that would leave them to work on the engine and improve other aspects of the game.

The extra content is what made OFP such a success, the more content there is the better, the players can build interesting missions that keeps other players interested in the game other than playing with the same units time. and time, and time, and time again with only slight differences in the mission make-ups, that is what is killing this game everyone see's ArmA as OFP/Res 1.5 so were expecting the same game type but on an improved engine with added visual improvements what they have is basically the same game that has improvements but actually offers a lot less that OFP/Res does.

I see the same recommendations from ArmA owners to OFP owners to stick with OFP for the time being, this is not what BIS should be seeing or had planed for, they need to turn this around where players are encouraged to change to ArmA then that will keep the cash cow fed which feeds the continued development costs of both ArmA and Game 2, either that or they can go cap in hand to a big name and bow down to their demands for funding of Game2.

No this post is specifically referring to ARMA and how the mention of "Game2" could potentially impact future support for this game. Use your grey matter. Think outside your box.

wasn't that post a april fools joke???

My personal opinion on this is that game2 has been delayed for a very long time (if it even excists).

My main reasons for this conclusion would be that ArmA is not just a 'stop-gap' game, it is game1and-a-half.

There is noway that game2 will be released for at least another 5 years. The modding community for Flashpoint took the best part of 3 years to come out with anything worth playing, so it will take another 3 years before we see any real mods for ArmA. That will take us upto 2010 and we'll need a couple of years to play those mods so that would lead us into 2012.

Top spec PCs can just about run ArmA so game2 with its boasts of even larger more detailed terrain and accurate physics and ballistics is just a pipe dream at this present time (imho). Unless we all have super computers, because we'll need them biggrin_o.gif

I suspect you are seriously deluded if you think that BI's development and release plans will be influenced by how long it takes modders to do their stuff, and then allowing you a couple more years before risking making it obsolete smile_o.gif

Even if there was a game 2. After seeing it take 7 years to develop game 1 do you really think there is going to be a game 2 anytime soon??? Use your head man. They will more than likely get the communities hopes up, and for the next 10 years we'll hear all the rabble rabble about "game 2" and then once we've all fell out of the ArmA era and burnt our computers to its core they'll say, "oh... by the way... we are finalizing the successor of ArmA its scheduled release is quarter one of 2018... quarter one will come along and they'll bump in up and up and up and up again. History repeats itself... you have nothing to worry about.

Isnt it possible that certain members of the Arma team cannot operate on Arma until someone else finishes there section, hence they can work on Game 2. its more economic efficient.

They might aswell work on it while they have the Arma money.

Game 2 was already announced before ArmA if im not mistaken.. I dont see what the fuzz is about. Modhouses didn't stop developping for OFP when the news about ArmA came (though there were some messages about things being better in ArmA and possibly taking a break until ArmA got Released, but that was like 3 months before ArmA's Release biggrin_o.gif), why would they stop (or not start) developping on ArmA?

There is a very small amount of persons around on these forums (excluding myself) that really knows how all things work when it comes to Game Developping... Marketing, Developing, Spreading workload, working on multiple games at once, bla bla bla .. People say "use your brain/gray matter", sure this will bring a "logical view" on it, but nearly noone knows the details, and yes, even if you work for Company X, or in Branch Y, doesn't mean you know how Company W or Branch Z works or should work.

Nobody can really talk differently than speculations, guessing etc. etc. and I for one say; why bother..

These silly discussions will not change BIS strategy, I guess that's clear by now. (except for once, the BTS-idea)

Noone can forsee the future, and even though some might think that they "know" that "this mistake" or "that mistake" will be "the end of BIS, ArmA etc. etc" ... I guess only the future can tell.

If ppl are telling to stick with OFP instead of ArmA it's probably for following reasons:

- OFP has a shitload of mods and in that point has more variaty than ArmA (And NO, even if the Modtools would've been Released already, there would not be so much available as of yet, modmaking takes time smile_o.gif)

- OFP has the support of PvP Leagues, which seems to be an important part of the game. ArmA is not really PvP-League friendly, so it seems...

- ArmA's bad performance on certain systems

-

My personal opinion on this is that game2 has been delayed for a very long time (if it even excists).

My main reasons for this conclusion would be that ArmA is not just a 'stop-gap' game, it is game1and-a-half.

There is noway that game2 will be released for at least another 5 years. The modding community for Flashpoint took the best part of 3 years to come out with anything worth playing, so it will take another 3 years before we see any real mods for ArmA. That will take us upto 2010 and we'll need a couple of years to play those mods so that would lead us into 2012.

Top spec PCs can just about run ArmA so game2 with its boasts of even larger more detailed terrain and accurate physics and ballistics is just a pipe dream at this present time (imho). Unless we all have super computers, because we'll need them  biggrin_o.gif

Hate to rain on your parade, but your estimate of Game2's release date is almost certainly very far off... and it does exsist as we have seen the game already, two years ago.

First off, ArmA runs just fine on older machines... I have a four year old PC with a graphics card thats a little over a year old... and I can run it on almost max settings without any lag. Now, Game2 will be a totally new engine, built from scratch with modern PC's in mind... as where ArmA was built on top of a several year old engine. Who knows what tech advances Game2 will have to make things it has promised possible. Not to mention it has been said the game is very scaleable... so it should run just fine on current and even older machines.

Second, there not going to hold a game off till the modding community has run its course... if they had Game2 to release this year, you better believe it would be released. ArmA is nothing more then a slightly better looking Flashpoint... it does ALMOST nothing new and is primarily to keep money flowing in, and get people intrested in BIS again (not to mention get the name Armed Assault out there... as it would be my guess Game2 will be 'ArmA2'wink_o.gif. To say that ArmA is a whole new game in itself is a joke... its more like a mod for OFP, as its the exact same game with better graphics and new moddles.

Game2 is the prize... nothing has changed from the E3 announcements a couple years ago. ArmA is a bridge, and a totally diffrent game then Game2. It is my hope that we will see Game2 in the next year or two... and if it delivers everything it promises, everyone will quickly forget about ArmA, becuase ArmA is a good game... but its not good enough to milk for years for come.

Of course a lot of this bickering could be cleared up with an announcement by BIS as to what Game2's status currently is. Its been years since we have heard about it... sad_o.gif

In all honesty i think armed assault and its 6 year old engine just suck now... They should just turn their attention fully to G2 after releasing the mod tools.

If the AI, graphics and physics in G2 are as bad as in ArmA or if they even remind me of it it's gonna be one bad game... i ordered a T-72 and a BMP into a village and it was like watching pinball.

The vehicles in arma are far from simulation level, tanks do not have SUO (or well they always have it turned on), range finders, different optics. The cars driving model is also just terrible, not realistic but it's a pain to drive for sure.

The setting is also just amateur stuff, the buildings are badly textured and there is no infrastructure present, not one hospital or school or police station or fireware dept., anything at all.

The unit choices are also terrible for armed assault, BIS didn't do any research whatsoever they just used their old unit lists and added a stryker.

If the above mistakes get made with G2 too than ok fine keep supporting ArmA i guess... but if G2 will be better then by all means lets forget the arma and move on.

Aaaaw man just piss off no one cares when you think. Stop complaining whether theyre working on other things or not. If your such a master of buisness piss off and concentrate on what your doing. Bis Work hard and try to the best of their abilaties to do what we want in game... There's loads uf stuff i want in game but im not complaining.

In all honesty i think armed assault and its 6 year old engine just suck now... They should just turn their attention fully to G2 after releasing the mod tools.

If the AI, graphics and physics in G2 are as bad as in ArmA or if they even remind me of it it's gonna be one bad game... i ordered a T-72 and a BMP into a village and it was like watching pinball.

The vehicles in arma are far from simulation level, tanks do not have SUO (or well they always have it turned on), range finders, different optics. The cars driving model is also just terrible, not realistic but it's a pain to drive for sure.

The setting is also just amateur stuff, the buildings are badly textured and there is no infrastructure present, not one hospital or school or police station or fireware dept., anything at all.

The unit choices are also terrible for armed assault, BIS didn't do any research whatsoever they just used their old unit lists and added a stryker.

If the above mistakes get made with G2 too than ok fine keep supporting ArmA i guess... but if G2 will be better then by all means lets forget the arma and move on.

There are schools. Atleast they remind me of schools so i call them schools. You can also just go... "hey thats a hospital because it looks like one to me." I found something to use as a firestation and police station if I so choose. Just be a bit imaginitive. Just because it doesn't say School or Hospital doesnt mean it cant be one. Hell if you want make a model of a rectangle and a texture that says Hospital and have it float 2 meters in the air and put it over the door.

Still can't wait for G2.