Sign in to follow this  
Marines

Dolphin Slaughter... Disturbing

I just hope one day, there is a huge natural disaster for the good of humanity. And perhaps one day, we will start to think with respect and as a united race, rather than leading all our selfish lives.

Nick

An odd reoccurring theme in a few of these responses.  While I am not one for self hate, I have a hard time not hoping for the same.

While the humanity of such an event is disturbing, the concept of a global mental and physical ... correction... seems necessary if not inevitable.

If not by humans, then "mom's gonna fix it and put it back the way it otta-be..."

Japanese "race", cruel? What about those A-bombs?

Ever thought about cultural reasons or that people need money to survive? There's no research that says that certain "races" think, feel or act differently. We're all humans. It's not like that there are that big differences between humans as there are between dogs and cats. We're all the same race, the human race. There are black, white, red poodles, some got big noses, some small. But they are all poodles.

People first, animals second. I'm sure those guys would do something else if there just was something else to do. Blame our sick society, not them. If they wouldn't do it someone else would, an unemployed for instance.

If there is a ranking among animals I would say that dolphins rank pretty high. They know that they exist (mirrors etc - only seen in a few species), and they've never done any harm.

I just hope one day, there is a huge natural disaster for the good of humanity. And perhaps one day, we will start to think with respect and as a united race, rather than leading all our selfish lives.

Nick

An odd reoccurring theme in a few of these responses.  While I am not one for self hate, I have a hard time not hoping for the same.

While the humanity of such an event is disturbing, the concept of a global mental and physical ... correction... seems necessary if not inevitable.

If not by humans, then "mom's gonna fix it and put it back the way it otta-be..."

I'm for the latter - we gotta get off this planet so we give more value to it.

Sorry mate, but we'll never value and charish this planet; it's not a matter of capitalism and the profits, this is just not in human's nature, we'll just keep devastating our habitat poluting it in all possible ways, killing dolphins, exterminating other species, waging wars between us ,,, Maybe later, when Gaia will try to shook us down from hers back (which will happen much much sooner than we thouth), but then it'll be too late, which is a good thing really.

And God forbid that we spread into the space as you suggested in some of your previous posts. Luckily (for the Galaxy) there's no time left for this.

Having entered the realms of a modern western automated slaughterhouse I can see one clear difference here: The animals that are grown for killing cannot be viewed upon as animals... they've never had a chance to develop themselves.. I've witnessed this: There was once a truck with chickens being unloaded (the chickens being in crates). Well, for some odd reason, one chicken fell off, and all it did there was stand and look around: it was the only thing it could ever do in it's life.

the creatures in the movie (could've just as well have been a crab btw, wouldn't change my opinion) are "killed" in a way that saves time, but inflicts lots and lots of suffering on them... and THAT is, what I think, is wrong: these animals know what's being done to them, they get a chance to be displeased, to experience the suffering, etc etc etc. things that cannot be said (as long as regulations are followed) from western slaughterhouses.

Having entered the realms of a modern western automated slaughterhouse I can see one clear difference here: The animals that are grown for killing cannot be viewed upon as animals... they've never had a chance to develop themselves.. I've witnessed this: There was once a truck with chickens being unloaded (the chickens being in crates). Well, for some odd reason, one chicken fell off, and all it did there was stand and look around: it was the only thing it could ever do in it's life.

the creatures in the movie (could've just as well have been a crab btw, wouldn't change my opinion) are "killed" in a way that saves time, but inflicts lots and lots of suffering on them... and THAT is, what I think, is wrong: these animals know what's being done to them, they get a chance to be displeased, to experience the suffering, etc etc etc. things that cannot be said (as long as regulations are followed) from western slaughterhouses.

So you're saying that the only "humane" thing to do is to industrialise their slaughter? To come up with efficient ways of quickly killing a large amount of beings? Yeah, extremely "humane"...good thing we practiced on ourselves too. confused_o.gif

I'm sorry, but I'm having a major irony alert here.

In my honest opinion, the problem is not that they are killing dolphins. I mean we are eating meat from cows and pigs and they are eating fish, dolphins, sharks and wales. But we live in a civilised world where you kill animals quickly and without pain. I bet the chicken in the slaughterhouse Codarl mentionned are sleeping (with narcotics) when they get killed.

In Germany you have a law (yea i know we have laws for everything): if a hunter, fisher or who ever is licensed to kill animals, only hurts an animal, he has 120 seconds to kill it (of course not when it has escaped) else he can be condemned and loose his license.

The bigger problem is that there aren't so many of fish, dolphin, sharks and whales left... icon_rolleyes.gif

Is it wrong that I have no feelings for this?

Somehow we have been given the moral expectation that we are guardians of everything. Why?

Does a lion feel sympathy when it kills a fawn? Does a shark think about the fish it engulfs?

Why are humans expected to feel differently?

I understand the religious implications that this brings, but imagine for one moment I am placing humans at the same level of animals. If I were to go "hunting" with other members of my family I could not kill an animal. The only reason is it doesn't influence my needs as a man or other such bullcocky I hear are reasons for "sport" hunting. It is not because I feel sympathy though as a human I am sure I may feel that way for a moment. The real reason is because I get my food pre-slaughtered and sometimes pre-cooked. However, if I were trapped on a mountain or desert somewhere and I could no longer get food the way I usually do... I would attack a fucking moronic goat with a stick and beat it senseless if it meant I could live another day. Whats the difference if it's me or that hungry lion over there. Whether I did it out of survival or bought it at the grocery store, I would feel no sympathy at all.

I cannot comment on the purpose these people kill these dolphins, but I would imagine they are not doing this for fun. It appears more for the purpose of getting money or directly/indirectly food for them and their family.

If you have a problem with that, maybe you should protest by stopping eating. If it's because they are endangered, then maybe talk to the people who are still paying and stuffing their face with dead dolphins. If they were doing it for fun or some other retarded purpose, I would protest... but mass slaughter for food has been around since the industrial age and probably sooner.

Dophin/Cow/Sheep/Cats/Dogs whatever... if it doesn't poison you, it's fricken food. If I could ask a dog/cat/some lion or shark that very question, I am sure they would agree with me.

I would attack a fucking moronic goat with a stick and beat it senseless if it meant I could live another day.

Thats it. You wouldn't grind it hundreds of meters over the tarred route to slit his throat open and let it suffocate to death.

if you ever played football on concrete you know as good as me that i fucking hurts. There is the point i think. You kill quickly because you are hungry. They kill slowly because they dont seem to attach any importance in reducing their pain.

You kill quickly because you are hungry. They kill slowly because they dont seem to attach any importance in reducing their pain.

This gets to the point.  As humans we hold ourselves ABOVE "lesser" beings.  We are still unperfect animals.  We are still omnivores.  But there is something to refraining from being cruel.

Cruelty is still quite common among our species.  Most notably when it is inflicted upon other humans.

When I found a young bird whose mother was dead and nursed it until it could fly, I felt pride in the moment of its release.

I felt more than a mere animal as it flew away to continue an unknown future.  I did something of minimal importance and impact on the world, because I could.

The strengths and weaknesses of humanity in the end balance out.  It is the ability to overcome our flaws on an individual basis that gives me the slightest hope for mankind.

In my honest opinion, the problem is not that they are killing dolphins. I mean we are eating meat from cows and pigs and they are eating fish, dolphins, sharks and wales. But we live in a civilised world where you kill animals quickly and without pain. I bet the chicken in the slaughterhouse Codarl mentionned are sleeping (with narcotics) when they get killed.

In Germany you have a law (yea i know we have laws for everything): if a hunter, fisher or who ever is licensed to kill animals, only hurts an animal, he has 120 seconds to kill it (of course not when it has escaped) else he can be condemned and loose his license.

The bigger problem is that there aren't so many of fish, dolphin, sharks and whales left... http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/icon_rolleyes.gif

correct. only primitive people with malfunctioning brains think that animals should be killed in that way. furthermore, japan continues to hunt endangered species. south park actually made fun of this point some time ago. it's like they hate dolphins and whales so much they want to cause as much pain to them as possible. and dolphins and whales aren't like lobsters, they're sentient and far more intelligent.

It seems as though you have not read the forum rules? I would highly suggest you do so.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, Private Message the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

@tinemen - please have a look at the forum rules. You have posted in a thread which was 7 years old.

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, Private Message the thread starter or mod leader to ask.