Sign in to follow this  
PONG

Sun effects are too extreme for my system

At first I thought it wsa just how the game was supose to look.  When looking towards the sun, it's very difficult to see things...  as you pivot around the effect from the sun goes from extreme bright to too dark, to extreme bright to too dark...  it's driving me nuts.

Recently, we had a lan party.  looking at other displays I saw that the sun effects on the other pcs were nowhere near as annoying as mine.  Mine makes it's almost unplayable when looking towards the sun.

Exactly the same MB in my friends pc, except I have a 8800GTX running winXP and he has a 8800GTS running Vista.

Since most peeps only have one pc and may not have the chance to see it on other pcs, I think this problem is still realativly unknown.

We checked all graphics card settings to make sure they are the same, made sure all ingame graphics settings were identical, even used the same monitor...

I have had this issue with the last 3 nvidia driver updates as well as game version 1.01 through 1.05 beta.

What is going on?

Is there a way to disable or reduce the sun effects? I'm sorry but I HATE this new effect.

8800gtx (every driver version, even the beta)

winxp pro

eVga 680i

2gb corsair something

SyncMaster 226bw

in ArmA.cfg change

HDRPrecision=8;

to

HDRPrecision=16;

that fixes it , but there is slight fps loss ...

actually for sun it fixes it way too much

(sun glare is nearly non existant)

Just got the game yesterday and I have the same problem.  Tried the .cfg change (HDRPrecision from 8 to 16) that was mentioned by Dwarden and made it better but still get a blinding glare when not looking at the sun.  It's getting a bit annoying.

I have a Radeon X1900XT with 512mb and the latest ATI catalyst drivers.  Is there another option?

GD Mast

Update...great news.

I downloaded the newest ATI catalyst drivers/software for my card and that solved the problem.  I put the 8 back instead of 16 and everything is working!  No more sun glare from every direction.  yay.gif

GD Mast

Changing the setting worked! I haven't noticed much of an FPS drop.

Thanks