Sign in to follow this  
Zito

Turn off image of the gun

Is there any way of turning off the image of the weapon you're carrying? You can do that in all Novalogic games by hitting F2. I'm used to playing without the damn thing bobbing up and down in front of my eyes all the time and would dearly like to get rid of it. smile_o.gif

I'm confused as to what you are talking about...

Really? I would have thought it was obvious...

No you can't.

Pity sad_o.gif

That would totally go agains the whole point of ArmA lol...

Its meant to be realistic, the gun is really there smile_o.gif

On the other side you can lower your weapon while you walk. Look in your controls forthe button to press.

Double tap Ctrl to lower your weapon, helps to increase your FOV.

It is not an "image of your gun". ArmA models your characters body even in first person, if you look down you can see your body and legs, fully animated.

There is no need for that feature but if its made alike in Ghost Recon 1 where u have only crosshair cross on screen it could be sometimes ok, but yes this isnt realism however.

It also makes your stance slightly taller!

It also makes using your weapon impossible, but hey it's not meant to be used in a firefight.

Such an amusing request biggrin_o.gif

Also played DF1 & 2 but never felt the urge to hide the weapon ...

As you might have guessed from the other replies it´s not possible to do so in ArmA because the weapon isn´t a faked image overlay in 1´st person view but exactly the same as seen in 3´rd person.

It also makes using your weapon impossible, but hey it's not meant to be used in a firefight.

I peek over walls with it all the time. I find that it is highly effective in a 'combat' situation. It also allows you to squeeze through places you would not normally be able to go.

@original poster

BTW it's not an image of the gun... it's the model of your body. In order not to see it, you would have to be invisible!

Egads.... someone wants this game to be just like Ghost Recon. Blasphemy!!! lol

A request like this is an example of why I'll have to stay away from the "General" area of the forum for awhile.

--Ben welcome.gif

Being an OFP vet - I really don't know if the name 'OFP vet' is politically correct, or if it has offended anyone in the past, but since I read it the first time, I couldn't find a better way to describe our condition as people who has vivid memories of virtual situations 'lived' within the OFP engine, in any case, no offense intended nor foreseen, please tell me if it botters someone. Where was I? OK. Being an OFP vet, this kind of "requests" sounds way out of place BUT, I understand them.

Personally I prefer 1000 times having a 3D gun in my virtual hands, but I have played the GR series through and through and I enjoyed them very much. I always wished to have that character change feature in OFP/ArmA, it allows you to move and position the AI exactly where you want it and gives a more human like AI behaviour - even if you have to position them yourself. I see ArmA has done something like character change but it's still far from what I was wishing. Of course, BIS wasn't thinking in the same feature I'm talking about. Hell! Who knows what BIS was thinking about! smile_o.gif

Early GR games were awesome. But not seeing a weap in yer view la invisible rifle, and seeing rifles in everyone elses hands was the kiss of death for that game for me. It was rediculous.

But to each their own. ;p

Early GR games were awesome. But not seeing a weap in yer view la invisible rifle, and seeing rifles in everyone elses hands was the kiss of death for that game for me. It was rediculous.

But to each their own. ;p

So, they were awesome AND ridiculous? huh.gif

it was rediculous that they failed because you couldn't see your weapon, i must admit it did put me off GR. didnt advanced warfighter weapons take up nearly half the screen (well, roughly a 3rd)?

There is no need for that feature but if its made alike in Ghost Recon 1 where u have only crosshair cross on screen it could be sometimes ok, but yes this isnt realism however.

It is realism, it's just realism of a different flavour.

It is not realism that when holding an M4 rifle to you shoulder, 70% of your vision is obscured by it.

When I put my gas mask on and and hold my rifle to my shoulder, even looking through one eye piece only, I can still see more of my surroundings than I can in Armed Assault.

I'm a bit of a fan of the Ghost Recon style weapon view.

As an infantry player, Armed Assault is pretty horrible without using Trackir to lower your weapon out of eyesight.

When I wander around the countryside with my gun, I don't run around behind it like it's the shotgun in doom. It isn't permaglued to point in the same direction as my face like on a Dalek. Neither would this be the most effective way to carry it except in the most limited of situations.

This isn't "realism". This is gun love.

I want to see pictures of my favourite gun wherever I look.

I do find the M4 particularly with it's aimdot totally overwhelms the screen so that I can't see anything. The AK iron sight could do with some adjustment too. It's also very unweildy.

When I put my gas mask on and and hold my rifle to my shoulder, even looking through one eye piece only, I can still see more of my surroundings than I can in Armed Assault.

That's because your moniter can't reproduce the peripheral vision you would have IRL, it's an interface problem and one that affects every game. What's different in ArmA is that BIS at least attempts to address it with visual aids and the ability to use freelook in first person view, you can also move your weapon out of your FOV if you need to, but in order to keep with with the realism and immersion, if you want to accurately fire your weapon you'll have to deal with the visual obstructions it entails.

it was rediculous that they failed because you couldn't see your weapon, i must admit it did put me off GR. didnt advanced warfighter weapons take up nearly half the screen (well, roughly a 3rd)?

A friend of mine couldn't take the lack of weapon image also, and did not touched GR because of that. But it is not ridiculous at all. It was inherited from the original Rainbow 6 series and they were more tactical games. Sure it is more inmersive to almost feel you have the gun you are carrying with the newest 3D approach, but it was far more inmersive to move tactically because of the good parts simulated in GR, still not present in ArmA. GRAW was IMO the most inmersive body simulation - weapon and all - but the actual combat was more weak, very static. It was/is a terrific game nevertheless. Overall, not better than OFP/ArmA when you put all things together, but some features are definitely better and more inmersive.