Sign in to follow this  
ArmAOfficialTester1123

How do you set off a Mine

Hi i have been using ArmA for sometime now, i love it, but....................how do u make a bloody mine explode, lol

thanks Ollie

PS Searched for it.......NOTHING

the mines available from the editor are anti tank mines, thus drive over them with a tank to make them blow up smile_o.gif

erm.........wait for a tank to cross over it........you know......they are not AP mines such as Claymore

Afaik only a tank driving directly over it will set it off .... nothing else can, not even a convoy of trucks which I was suprised at once! Anyhoo it might be possible to script it, but if thats the case why not just use Satchels?

you could use a trigger to set it off for anything passing over it (this is off the top of my head though):

Place your mine, name it mine1

Place a trigger over the mine with the radius you want to have it set off by (1 or 2m would be sensible)

set the activated by to anybody and then in the on activation field:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">bang1 = "Sh_120_HE" camcreate (position mine1); deletevehicle mine1

bear in mind I'm not 100% certain of what type of shell to camcreate so tinker with the different shells and grenades to get the size explosion you want.

I've also never used the 'position' command before, so if that fails to work replace the bracketed stuff with:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[(getpos mine1 select 0), (getpos mine1 select 1), (getpost mine1 select 2) +0.1]

the reason for the +0.1 is to raise the spawned object a little above the ground so it actually explodes properly. At least in OFP if you spawned an object partially in the ground, the explosion and crater would appear, but there would be no real world damage to anything.

hope this helps - and because my arma scripting is still a little fragile from the conversion over from ofp, please can other knowledgeable members double check my code

Afaik only a tank driving directly over it will set it off .... nothing else can, not even a convoy of trucks which I was suprised at once!

By my experience they blow under truck... I've atleast driven over them with OFP attitude: "they cannot harm me!"... And KA-BOOM! effect has followed... Atleast i've assumed that it was mine and not some RPG guy (i knew that i was driving on mine) And ArmA version was 1.02... Haven't tried it in later versions. wink_o.gif

Afaik only a tank driving directly over it will set it off .... nothing else can, not even a convoy of trucks which I was suprised at once!

By my experience they blow under truck... I've atleast driven over them with OFP attitude: "they cannot harm me!"... And KA-BOOM! effect has followed... Atleast i've assumed that it was mine and not some RPG guy (i knew that i was driving on mine) And ArmA version was 1.02... Haven't tried it in later versions. wink_o.gif

Probably a satchel charge, unless it was some mission which scripted the mine to explode under anything.

By my experience they blow under truck... I've atleast driven over them with OFP attitude: "they cannot harm me!"... And KA-BOOM! effect has followed... Atleast i've assumed that it was mine and not some RPG guy (i knew that i was driving on mine) And ArmA version was 1.02... Haven't tried it in later versions.  wink_o.gif

I believe it's based on weight (ex: heavier vehicles put more pressure on the ground, and AT mines are pressure activated, hence why a truck can not detinate it if it's not heavy enough). At least it should be if it's not.

Probably a satchel charge, unless it was some mission which scripted the mine to explode under anything.

It was my self-made mission and there was no "special features"... It'a most likely that it was something else than mine... Most likely RPG.

EDIT: Have to test that thing what KyleSarnik said...

Have tried it with a truck-no joy!

But not fully loaded with troops? wink_o.gif

Try the default mission 1st one and place some mines on the road, watch what trigger them... trucks I believe and anything else that drives over them.

if you want to rig your own mine you can with a simple trigger. put a gamelogic, or car or what ever you want to explode, and name it bomb. then make a trigger with a radius of whatever you want. The radius is how close the unit has to get to the gamelogic/other to trigger the explosion. Set it to East present (or whatever side you want it to effect). Click on the effects button and in the on Activation tab put:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"handgrenade" camcreate [getpos bomb select 0,getpos bomb select 1]

I believe that is correct for ARMA. Just put the trigger directly on the gamelogic/object and when the unit gets to close it explodes. I think laserguidedbomb also works instead of handgrenade. Bigger explosion.

Wont "Mine1 Setdamge 1;" work?

Not if, it's same as in OFP... Mine still is active (no way to blow them up with shells sad_o.gif )

setdam(m)age wink_o.gif

I just set up a test in the editor with a minefield intersecting a road, then I had various vehicles drive over it one at a time (restarting the mission each time). I noticed something definitely odd.

As expected , HMMWV's don't set them off at all.

5-ton truck: set them off

5-ton truck, open: set them off

5-ton truck, machinegun: did NOT set them off

This doesn't really make sense to me, the truck with the MG had an extra passenger and the gun, meaning that it SHOULD have weighed more, but apparently it didn't. I have yet to try loading up other 5 ton trucks with 1 or more passengers to see what happens.

it's more than likely to be a class issue, as in the mine is expected to blow up when certain classes of vehicles drive over the mine (armoured, light armoured, heavy vehicles) - it appears then that the armed 5tonners are not included in this appraisal.

That is strange. I guess it's a class issue as Messiah said, although the truck with the MG should inherit from the normal truck. Maybe the mine only goes off when a wheel goes over it?