Sign in to follow this  
Wook

Win98 / Windows 98 - Anyone made ArmA run on this?

I've got quite a few Win98 / Windows 98 machines of 2Mhz and UP, 512MB RAM - 2GB Ram, 2T HDD's, etc.

Will ArmA or ~CAN~ ArmA in any possible way be 'forced' to run on these machines?

Oddly I have only one machine running WinNT and another running WinXP.

Wook [iDGN]

No. I'd rather start thinking about an OS upgrade.

If I think of the age of the drivers for win98, and no support on new graphics cards for windows 98, I don't think it even can run.

Hmmm, I play most modern FPS's on these Win98 machines.

Have Doom3, haven't loaded it on any of them yet.

As for the 'support'... You'd be surprised what does and doesn't still run on Win98SE / Windows 98SE still.

biggrin_o.gif

Wook

I think you belong in some kind or record book notworthy.gif

Will ArmA or ~CAN~ ArmA in any possible way be 'forced' to run on these machines?

No. ArmA uses plenty of key functionality which is not available in Win9X OS, like asynchronous I/O.

I think you belong in some kind or record book notworthy.gif

People still use 98 crazy_o.gif

it's the most popular software in developing countries (in a personal computer sense) - thats the main reason that MS are only just shutting down support for it now.

Wook, could you PM me links for tips on how to use more than 512 on win98se?

I`ve tried  a few but none worked. I`ve still got the CD around here.

As for the right system to run a game .... Id say Win 2000 Professional. In my opinion and experience the most successful and greatest OS ever. I used it for 5 years and just swaped to XP.

Win 2000 is just the right OS for any kind of job .... Win 98SE.. I still like it, but cant remember how games did on that. (expect for Team Apache which was great fun)

i read somewhere you get legit copies of windows XP for $3 in china or something

i read somewhere you get legit copies of windows XP for $3 in china or something

that's not in china. Microsoft is offering poor countries those win XP's licences, and only for students/teachers for 3$/each. China has nothing to do with it as it's not classified poor country.

Most peripherals available today, meaning the majority of them, still are shipped with Win98SE / Windows drivers.

Thank you, Suma. Good to hear from you so eloquently. Keeps me from messing up a perfectly stable system registry, *.ini and *.cfg files in an useless attempt to hope ArmA would run on one of these workhorses.

Sadly that limits me to only one or at best 2 systems that can run ArmA outta the approx 11. I guess the LAN mates wil just have to get their own systems. Which, isn't going to happen unfortunately. Can't afford any OS upgrades. As it is a good friend gifted me XP for myself. However, I've actually yet to install it since the Win98 system its supposed to be used for just hasn't yet let me knock out its EULA!

biggrin_o.gif

Privateguba, you can upgrade to 1gb RAM pretty easily, the trick is to set the vcache with MSCONFIG before you actually boot the OS and before you do your RAM upgrade.

If you want more than 2GB there are a few system drivers that used to be distributed with some of CAD drafting packages back in the old days. To be honest, offhand I dunno which Ive used fot that older 2GB system. Just used to run fine with 2GB and Autocad 9 or 11 if I remember right. Unfortunately I'm unsure which version I used to run on it since its been mothballed for a while. But, it is a Win98SE system.

Wook [iDGN]

I hope this thread has helped some folks a bit.

I still haven't upgraded myself yet. So, ArmA is outta reach for a while for me.

Wook [iDGN]

---Edit on my above last posting---

I meant there are some older CAD drivers that can let you use the memory 'hole' above the 1GB area not above the 2GB area. I'm unaware of any Win98 systems drivers that work with greater than 2GB RAM. So, note that slight change to my wording thereabove.