Sign in to follow this  
CsonkaPityu

Call of Duty Modern Warfare...

-overwhelmingly unrealistic ( a con for me ne ways). regenerative health, weak weapons, soldiers that constantly respawn, ammo pool, crazy javelin launcher etc.

I would also add to that list the lack of fire mode selection, so your stuck in either burst or full auto. I don't know what Infinity Ward was thinking when they decided to that.

Cons

-extreme scripting takes away replay value of SP (MP more than makes up for this)

-AI constantly respawns

I hated the other games in the series, as well as MoH, because of this. Does CoDMW improve on this at all compared to them?

These games are just too scripted and predictable. The atmosphere isn't very good either, because even though there are tracers and smoke everywhere, it's obvious they aren't coming from anyone.

Is this game even worth buying? I mean, I do not want another CoD 2 with modern setting.

Singleplayer length of 5 hours on average for COD4 is shockingly bad IMO, especially considering how linear and scripted it is, next gen graphics, last gen game design.....

@smellyjelly

MW has improved a little bit in this respect, however, not alot. Most of the Marine missions are like the earlier COD games. Enemies will keep pouring out of buildings until u move inside the building and pass a certain point triggering a script. But, some of the SAS missions arent like this. so far theyve involved sneaking in and clearing different areas which usually only has like 5 - 10 tangos, who dont respawn.

Also, the atmosphere is alot better than the last games (i think) mainly because of the way they clear rooms as a unit and the way they communicate and shout out at each other(although kinda sucks that its all scripted). O and lighting effects and animations contribute a lot to the atmosphere as well

but like i said b4 if u dint like COD b4 u wont like it now

I played demo yesterday and after 15 minutes of gameplay (hardest difficulty) have many laugh. Sorry, not because its so fun playing it, because gameplay is so naive...

There is all good things which should be there (maybe instead of rate of fire switch), tanks, cobras, guns (many of them), RPGs, grenades, NV and so on. Its just like Arma closed in closet with everything scaled down and simplified.

Sorry guys, who are fans of COD series. I just hope it will take 'casual gamers' out of Arma. Thats good side of COD4 smile_o.gif

Millions of people know about COD. How many people know about ARMA? Just one tv add showing off what ARMA is like at its best would bring alot of interest to the game. Its a shame because ARMA could use a larger user base and as time goes by it seems like it will fade away. Not enough players online and not enough interest will kill ARMA's potential.

All the great innovation and freedom of ARMA will get forgotten and the regressed corridor shooting and linear played out crap of COD replaces it because of majority rule. ARMA is the best mil sim available off the shelf for the price. Yet COD4 is in the spotlight just because its parent company has the resources to saturate the media outlets with TV/banner ads and game magazine coverage. Night vision, and supressors and attack helis are in both games, but the mainstream game world will act like COD was the first to do it.

COD may be the new kid on the block but its arrival is a chance for an ARMA media push to announce itself as the superier shooter within the modern warfare genre and by comparison to COD will outshine it. If I were BIS I would drop some money into a TV add to run on Military channel/G4/Sci Fi channel or wherever the COD ads are running and put a pointed message that  ARMA is the superior product over COD4 and real gamers shouldnt be fooled by the eye candy. Wishful thinking I know....

Guest Ti0n3r

Well, ArmA will (in its current state) never be able to compete with CoD4 for when it comes to the 'mainstream gamers'. In my opinion it all comes down to two things;

1: ArmA's SP campaign is... you all know it..

2: ArmA doesn't have the detail of CoD4. Not cause the engine is incapable of it, but because BIS for some reason decided to keep things very simple. For instance; Compare ArmA's NV goggles with the ones in CoD4. Or the sound effects. The list is endless.

I can only hope things will change in ArmA II... It would be nice to have the best of both worlds in one games. Attention to detail AND massive islands and unscripted AI.

For me, I can sacrifice graphics for the dynamic capabilities. ARMA/OFP offers the realism/flexibility in playing AND editing that is still unsurpassed.My major ARMA gripe would be the animations/transitions.

I only have played COD2 SP and a little MP. MP was terrible, the only thing I liked was the replay mode where you saw your opponent shooting you. SP had an excellent experience for a linear shooter with alot of movie quality sound/music and the animation of the characters was great. It was alot of good content but it is a corridoor shooter at the end of the day and basically just makes it an interactive movie. You can play it a few different ways but once your finished with the SP you have seen it all. ARMA has the user made content to address the poor official content (if it really is poor I dove right into editor and MP and still havent played campaign). Im just starting to play user made content but so far these user missions have ben pretty good. Ive allready had MP gameplay that has ben better than BF2 and all the other shooters save OFP which I played extensively on small LAN (total blast).

To keep things ontopic. COD4 "looks" great but the true innovation of 3d gaming we all want to see are just not in it. Its the same game with new decorations and too many people are buying into it. Everyone notices now how shooters have vehicles and CTF. Thats not because game companies just felt like it. Its because someone innovated and made a product (like OFP) that outshined the rest. THEN other games came out with vehicles and command menu's to compete. Without innovation then we are going to lose our niche. PC gaming is on the ropes as it is with all the console madness. Im just amazed the masses havent caught on to it. Guess thats me being naive.

Good Add slogan:

ARMA: THE premiere military simulator product. Everything else is just a toy!

or

ARMA: When your ready for a REAL combat experience!

ok they both suck but you all get the idea.

Mainstream game companies seem to want to make 3d movie experiences that they can sell new flavors of. BIS seems to want to deliver a true innovation in 3d games and sims by giving us more freedom and customizable features and the strengths and weaknesses of both approaches become obvious when we put ARMA up next to COD. I must be a hardcore sim gamer because I will put up with the ARMA problems because I can simulate the game experience I want. COD tells us what our experience will be as alot of other games and Im not interested in that kind of game anymore. Not since Quake2/HL have I wanted that.

Well, ArmA will (in its current state) never be able to compete with CoD4 for when it comes to the 'mainstream gamers'. In my opinion it all comes down to two things;

2: ArmA doesn't have the detail of CoD4. Not cause the engine is incapable of it, but because BIS for some reason decided to keep things very simple. For instance; Compare ArmA's NV goggles with the ones in CoD4. Or the sound effects. The list is endless.

I can only hope things will change in ArmA II... It would be nice to have the best of both worlds in one games. Attention to detail AND massive islands and unscripted AI.

Not sure about 2) (definitely true for 1), though smile_o.gif )

I think ArmA has

- too many performance issues, at least at release

- too many irritating bugs, unpolished and unfriendly aspects for mainstream gamers, completely overshadowing positive aspects of the game

BI fought too hard to bring some functionnality to the game, without thinking about how this functionnality would be percieved, if it was gamer-friendly implemented or not, and what bug it could bring.

"real" animations, "real" lighting (simulating of eye reactions), etc... Good ideas, but put to quickly into the game, too impacting for many.

It's not really about being detail or not, but more about being implemented correctly in the first place, to be honest.

ArmA has the following problems:

Animations are stiff,

Movement is inflexible and the system for it is out of date,

Soldier models look out of proportion,

Urban enviriomental detail is not good,

Performance is bad,

Vehicle (both ground and airborne) simulation detailed isn't enough,

Effects are not convincing (laser tracers),

Unconvincing AI,

Terrible physics,

Realism is marred by the above.

The positives of ArmA are:

Large scale,

Foliage is great looking,

Open envirioment,

Tons of vehicles,

Editing flexibility.

In contrast CoD4's negatives are:

Arcadey,

Vehicles are just props and behave like props and are unrealistic in their behavior (hovering choppers, unrealistic chopper drop offs, tanks just scripted elements),

Incredibly bad story,

Scripted, inflexible AI,

Linear levels,

and ofcourse the old standard: Lack of realism (a culmination of the above points with added health regeneration and infinite spawning allies).

Positives:

Animations,

Models,

Effects,

Sounds,

Detail,

Polish,

Movement system,

Performance.

Ofcourse these are just my preferences, but so far both games bring up too many negatives for me. If by some miracle the two games could be combined the almost (still no vehicle simulation) perfect war game would be made.

My faith now lies in OFP2!

Come on...uhh, Codemasters... Don't sell... out? Ah crap...

Not sure about 2) (definitely true for 1), though smile_o.gif )

I think ArmA has

- too many performance issues, at least at release

- too many irritating bugs, unpolished and unfriendly aspects for mainstream gamers, completely overshadowing positive aspects of the game

BI fought too hard to bring some functionnality to the game, without thinking about how this functionnality would be percieved, if it was gamer-friendly implemented or not, and what bug it could bring.

"real" animations, "real" lighting (simulating of eye reactions), etc... Good ideas, but put to quickly into the game, too impacting for many.

It's not really about being detail or not, but more about being implemented correctly in the first place, to be honest.

I agree, COD4 is a polished game you can enjoy straight out of the box no fuss, unfortunately the same cant be said for ArmA.

Oh and although ArmA is technically a simulator, theres a highchance that we will never see anything as realistic in it as the gunship part of COD, these guys really did their research

Just played the "ghillied up" mission, and, i have to say, it was one of the most immersive video game experiences i have ever had.

Yeah that ac 130 mission was pretty cool too

That all well and nice but Im sure that mission isnt dynamic. It makes for a nice one off experience but without the freedom to deploy that gunship with any flexibility other than what that mission presents its just another linear map. If I were playing that mission Id hit M and check the map for all the markers across the Island we would be attacking and even check to see if I had options to choose the angle of approach and departure over the target zone. Im guessing the plane flies in a circle over the same area every time you play the mission and for me that would get boring pretty quick.

Ive had similar gameplay in ARMA on the minigun in the BH with night vision on. Its not 25mm just bullets but you can still circle and shoot over target zones. I still dont get it sorry.

I played the Demo the other day and I must say that I was very impressed.  This weekend I'm going to buy this sucker !  yay.gif  wink_o.gif

COD4 Demo

cod4delka.gif

oh well ...

btw. weapons are constantly in auto mode ... such detail is quite hard to ignore ...

haha i guess im easily impressed ( or immersed or w.e)

But hey there's a reason why im still playing OFP and not COD2 or something.

http://games.tiscali.cz/images/news/cod4delka.gif

oh well ...

btw. weapons are constantly in auto mode ... such detail is quite hard to ignore ...

That seems to be a common trend in games. They just get shorter and shorter as the graphics get better.

I'm not wasting my money on a full priced game that only lasts 5 hours. COD 2 was already short, and now according to that graph they halved it crazy_o.gif

I doubt I'll play the MP much, so the SP would be my only reason to buy it.

I'm sick of short games mad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]btw. weapons are constantly in auto mode ... such detail is quite hard to ignore ...

Thus far, there have been several mods aiming at increasing the 'realism level' of COD series, I'm sure the same will happen to the newly released COD 4.

Regarding ArmA, despite being a nice and good looking simulator, it would have been much better if BIS had focused on 'little details' that increase the gameplay. (Sounds, Animated weapons Models [bipods, Tripods...], Shouting voices, Realistic Radio Chatter... and much more).

regards,

TB

Well, the SP was fantastic, immersive and generally just fun to play. Although i was constantly annoyed by the scriptedness and linearity something just 'clicked' and i wanted to play on. Though i was shocked by the length, i heard it was short but only 5 hours?

Btw, the ending reminded me of the ending of Call of Juarez..

Oh, and did anyone else thought 'Tonal!' when they saw this?

The round area around that building surrounded by parking space and roads leading towards it just did it for me.. tounge2.gif

the gunship part might be the only thing that COD4 have done right..........

Tried the demo - feels like i've played this 20 times before...

I agree Arma could use more combat ambience but this is overkill. Hope the full game "opens up" a little more as I had more room to move around in Doom.

Tried the demo - feels like i've played this 20 times before...

I agree Arma could use more combat ambience but this is overkill. Hope the full game "opens  up" a little more as I had more room to move around in Doom.

Only two levels are a bit open. Both are in the same village right after eachother.

All the other missions are about triggering the script that makes the enemy spawn at the rooftops and so on. The marine levels are especially terrible.

Engagement ranges are 100ms maximum but most of the time the enemy soldiers will be right infront of you at 10 meters or less.

Another thing; CoD4s equipment seems odd, i can't recognize the uniforms of the russians at all. Usually games like this spend a lot of time with equipment accuracy, but here i didn't notice.

And on the Pripat level (where you use that laser shooter thingie), you see Kamovs, but the mission takes place 15 years ago, no?

The russian military has 16 Kamovs in service currently, i shot down a bunch of 'em in the game.

Aw, C'mon guys, don't be so cruel smile_o.gif

Comparing CoD4 to ArmA is like comparing dodgem to trafficking in the real world, they are similar to each other in some way, but mainly they are different.

Just two things I would like to share with you:

-Arma made for realism, tactics, modding, for hardcore simulation fans, with heart from BIS

-CoD4 made for fun, show, for people aging from -2 to 950, presumably with heart from Infinity Ward, and for money from Activision

I probably will play much more with the "real car", but sometimes it can be fun and refreshing to jump into a dodgem with the kids in a funpark, isn't it?

By the way, if you want the most realism, join your country's army corps smile_o.gif . Or if you want to get to realism as possible, staying in the civil zone, then start playing airsoft wink_o.gif

Cheers everyone welcome.gif