Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st ID Infantry

Double positing in my own thread, tsk tsk. Well, it's all done now but for the packaging, configing and PBO'ing. Give me a day or three and then check back. Small changes done today:

- Resized IBA ACU pattern to better match pants + shirt.

- Tweaked helmet IR patches a bit.

- Added normal maps for combat patches (1CAV, 2MED and 26I were a pain in the ass).

Time to get hex editing. yay.gif

Stuff looks good, Cameron.

When looking at the normal maps..how do you read it? I want to change the normal maps in my own skins for the patches but have no clue of what I'm looking at.

Are the rolled up sleeves specific to a certain model?

We weren't allowed to roll ours up in theater, only loosen the velcro and unblouse our pants. I know many other infantry units have the same SOP

When looking at the normal maps..how do you read it? I want to change the normal maps in my own skins for the patches but have no clue of what I'm looking at.

Thanks. Normal maps are an odd breed. My understanding is that lighter parts are "higher," darker are "lower," etc. However, what I really did was to take the BIS normal maps and use them as a normal texture, that is, take parts as needed.

For example, for the pockets, since they stick out, all one has to do is grab some bright edges from another BIS normal map, and tack them along the boundaries of where your pocket lives in the normal map. Then save the thing, run ArmA and voila, it all sticks out. Trial and error are most important, as I accidentally made the helmet IR patches look like they were a hole in the helmet the other day.

Majoris23 - yes they are specific to a certain model, and I'm trying my best to not include them, since I'm not allowed to roll up my sleeves when I'm in uniform either (although the grenadier model has them as standard, blast them - I'll just say the Strykers fans went FUBAR, heheh). Also, since the 1st is a mechanised unit, they get M16A4s as standard, with M4s given to squad leaders, right?

I was in a mech unit (3rd ID) and had M4's.

M16's are considered national guard weapons nowadays smile_o.gif

Thanks. Normal maps are an odd breed. My understanding is that lighter parts are "higher," darker are "lower," etc. However, what I really did was to take the BIS normal maps and use them as a normal texture, that is, take parts as needed.

For example, for the pockets, since they stick out, all one has to do is grab some bright edges from another BIS normal map, and tack them along the boundaries of where your pocket lives in the normal map. Then save the thing, run ArmA and voila, it all sticks out. Trial and error are most important, as I accidentally made the helmet IR patches look like they were a hole in the helmet the other day.

Majoris23 - yes they are specific to a certain model, and I'm trying my best to not include them, since I'm not allowed to roll up my sleeves when I'm in uniform either (although the grenadier model has them as standard, blast them - I'll just say the Strykers fans went FUBAR, heheh). Also, since the 1st is a mechanised unit, they get M16A4s as standard, with M4s given to squad leaders, right?

Actually in most infantry units on the Army side, everyone gets M-4. The only exception in our unit is each squad has a designated marksman carrying an M16A4 with ACOG.

Also normal maps are RGB, each color does it's own trick:

Red does lighting from the right

Green does bottom

Blue does front

Thanks Cameron and Mehman.

Hey, anyone remember when they were first showing off the uniform and we were supposedly going to get sew-on patches? Whatever happened to that idea?

*edit*

I meant badges, not patches.

A release this week would have been great. biggrin_o.gif

Just kiddin, take your time Cameron and make them perfect. thumbs-up.gifwink_o.gif

Cheers. smile_o.gif

3/4 done. You wouldn't believe how annoying hex editing is. I might have had them done last night if not for a welcome visit from my leading lady, heh heh! Thanks for the support guys, I hope you find my work worth it.  thumbs-up.gif

Closing on request from CameronMcDonald.