Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st ID Infantry

i had a wonder...

Im not sure if theres a work around right now becuase theres no tools but,

If you were to add a specular map to the soldier with strong effect to the IR patch, then maybe it would glow quite brightly with NV. The down side is that it might glow without NV as well (moon light).

Just a thought, havent tested the idea smile_o.gif

The American flags have gold trim around the outside. Look at http://www.marlowwhite.com/images/catalog/04-900.jpg for a decent reference.

Untrue, well, in some cases. I'm using the plastic IR flag, provided by olemissrebel (an Airborne infantryman), which has no trim. I'm thinking of adding different flags for different infantry though, because I've seen at least 4 types in use currently (plastic IR, plastic IR subdued, stitched (your example) and stitched subdued), and they seem to be interchangeable.

As for the ACU texture, well, I dunno. I'm leaning away from greying and greening the stuff out this time, especially since (as pointed out by Rustman) ACU fades with washing, and anyone who has seen the BIS textures would agree that their ACU is pretty on-the-mark. I added a ton of green in my OFP models because when I stuck milspec ACU in the game the engine basically turned it white, which looked crap. We'll see how it goes, though.

I'm reluctant to alter the camo itself after seeing Rustman's pictures... I'd have to say that the IBA and other ACU looks good.

They are, essentially, interchangeable It all really depends on each unit's uniform policy...ourselves, our uniform policy changes so much that we aren't sure exactly what it is any more. First we could wear the IR subdued on mission, but not on base during regular duties....then we couldn't wear the IR at all, it had to be the embroidered full color flag at all times...then it was we had to wear the full color cloth flag on our ACU uniform, but our IBA DAPS had to have the IR subdued flag on it.....now I just don't think anyone cares any more.

I know what both of you mean by fading, just about every set of ACU's I own is reaaally faded from field wear. It still doesn't look right in game though. BIS default ACU's look almost white and bright against any background.

That's pretty much my only concern. Instead of just having arms and legs glowing from the BIS ACU texture, I'm sure nobody will want an entire soldier glowing.

About the flag - it looked like it was colored in like a normal cloth patch (non-IR) which is why I mentioned the gold trim. My mistake smile_o.gif

Little update:

- Touched up the headsets, coloured them black. They look pretty similar to the PIR now (thanks to Rustman). In fact, I'm pretty sure the BIS radios are the PIR, just coloured green.

- ACU'd holster and pistol mag pouch.

- ACU-greyed the catseye band, and made the catseyes themselves a bit brighter.

- Re-did MOLLE pouch textures, removed dirt for now, will probably re-add it in the future.

- Re-did Camelbak, looks tons better now.

- Removed Infantry tab and fixed normal maps accordingly.

Quote[/b] ]That's pretty much my only concern. Instead of just having arms and legs glowing from the BIS ACU texture, I'm sure nobody will want an entire soldier glowing.

@majoris - I experimented a little with the brightness of the ACU, but I couldn't find a level of darkening I was happy with. I'll whack some screens up of the troops at distance w/wo NVGs soon.

Quote[/b] ]If you were to add a specular map to the soldier with strong effect to the IR patch, then maybe it would glow quite brightly with NV. The down side is that it might glow without NV as well (moon light).

@Dirty Harry - I haven't ventured into the deep dark world of specular mapping yet... how would you recommend I do this? Has it been done yet?

Quote[/b] ]I was wondering if it was possible to setup the unit patch in a manner in which it could be changed via a script? I believe there were some models in OPF that were able to do this, UK Forces, and the Vehicle Number on the "Combat" Hummers. It would be more work I know, but it would be a nice touch. It would be nice if the whole community would adopt it, for vehicle and planes as well. That way many countries could be represented. I hope this makes sense.

@Landdon - I've had quite a bit of experience with the good ole "setobjecttexture" command from my ole OFP work, so I assume that this can be done quite easily. Thank goodness US troops only have their ranks on their chests - makes my job a ton easier. I will, however, need access to the models themselves to implement this.

Pics in a sec!

Little update:

- Touched up the headsets, coloured them black. They look pretty similar to the PIR now (thanks to Rustman). In fact, I'm pretty sure the BIS radios are the PIR, just coloured green.

- ACU'd holster and pistol mag pouch.

- ACU-greyed the catseye band, and made the catseyes themselves a bit brighter.

- Re-did MOLLE pouch textures, removed dirt for now, will probably re-add it in the future.

- Re-did Camelbak, looks tons better now.

- Removed Infantry tab and fixed normal maps accordingly.

Quote[/b] ]That's pretty much my only concern. Instead of just having arms and legs glowing from the BIS ACU texture, I'm sure nobody will want an entire soldier glowing.

@majoris - I experimented a little with the brightness of the ACU, but I couldn't find a level of darkening I was happy with. I'll whack some screens up of the troops at distance w/wo NVGs soon.

Quote[/b] ]If you were to add a specular map to the soldier with strong effect to the IR patch, then maybe it would glow quite brightly with NV. The down side is that it might glow without NV as well (moon light).

@Dirty Harry - I haven't ventured into the deep dark world of specular mapping yet... how would you recommend I do this? Has it been done yet?

Quote[/b] ]I was wondering if it was possible to setup the unit patch in a manner in which it could be changed via a script? I believe there were some models in OPF that were able to do this, UK Forces, and the Vehicle Number on the "Combat" Hummers. It would be more work I know, but it would be a nice touch. It would be nice if the whole community would adopt it, for vehicle and planes as well. That way many countries could be represented. I hope this makes sense.

@Landdon - I've had quite a bit of experience with the good ole "setobjecttexture" command from my ole OFP work, so I assume that this can be done quite easily. Thank goodness US troops only have their ranks on their chests - makes my job a ton easier. I will, however, need access to the models themselves to implement this.

Pics in a sec!

Sweet...if you do get the specular mapping IR thing going here's some small details to enhance the ACU uniform.

The ACU's have centimeter square IR tabs on each shoulder pocket flap (obviously the tab on the pocket with the flag will be covered up).

dsc00066os7.jpg

and when you are finally able to change the helmet, the ACH has an IR tab on each side, the back, and the top.

dsc00067rd3.jpg

Other things...the PIR ear cup actually is dark green and black. The rubber parts are black but the plastic components are a dark green...it's hard to tell in the video. Sorry. The headstraps I've seen in both black and green color.

@Rustman - ta buddy. That will help tons, though I always thought the catseye bands were used for IR ID? I must be wrong, since I'm not in an Australian combat unit (I'm a pharmacist-in-training in a medical support battalion, haha), I dunno.

Secondly, are the IR patches on the pocket and helmet usually exposed? Pics (of the pocket, at least) I have usually have them covered up, like this.

Thirdly, do you wear velcro on your MICH? If so, where? And is that unit patch you have on regiment or division level?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I want these damn things to be spitting images of US troops. No problem about the PIR, too, that can easily be fixed. Thanks for the pics.

Anyway, pics! First up, catseye band + fixed patch:

PIR (still WIP):

For majoris23, these are the troops at 100m in Rahmadi (taken at 12 noon gametime):

ACU3.jpg

...and at 100m on northern Sahrani (taken at 12 noon gametime):

ACU4.jpg

Finally, something a bit more enticing:

So, the troops don't stick out like a sore thumb at distance, nor do they glow under NOD viewage (which were so boring I didn't even bother posting). The only problem is at close ranges under bright sun, where I get that whiteout issue, damn HDR. I will continue testing the brightness levels, because I still feel annoyed as well.

Nice, keep up the good work.

Are you going to release a beta version or only final ?

Thank you. smile_o.gif

@Rustman - ta buddy. That will help tons, though I always thought the catseye bands were used for IR ID? I must be wrong, since I'm not in an Australian combat unit (I'm a pharmacist-in-training in a medical support battalion, haha), I dunno.

Secondly, are the IR patches on the pocket and helmet usually exposed? Pics (of the pocket, at least) I have usually have them covered up, like this.

Thirdly, do you wear velcro on your MICH? If so, where? And is that unit patch you have on regiment or division level?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I want these damn things to be spitting images of US troops. No problem about the PIR, too, that can easily be fixed. Thanks for the pics.

Anyway, pics! First up, catseye band + fixed patch:

PIR (still WIP):

For majoris23, these are the troops at 100m in Rahmadi (taken at 12 noon gametime):

[imghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/ACU3.jpg[/img]

...and at 100m on northern Sahrani (taken at 12 noon gametime):

[imghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/ACU4.jpg[/img]

Finally, something a bit more enticing:

So, the troops don't stick out like a sore thumb at distance, nor do they glow under NOD viewage (which were so boring I didn't even bother posting). The only problem is at close ranges under bright sun, where I get that whiteout issue, damn HDR. I will continue testing the brightness levels, because I still feel annoyed as well.

The cat eye can actually be seen with the naked eye...it's not just IR.  All the cat eye is is glow in the dark tape.  In every unit I've been in cat eyes are also training use only.  It's so private snuffy can find the rest of his platoon when he's walking around without NVG's at night.  We don't actually use them in combat.  

Most of the time uniform policy is that the IR tabs are covered up...however, when we are on mission...and definitely when there are aircraft around..we uncover them.

The patch I have is a division..34th Infantry Division, to be specific.  Every SSI (Shoulder Sleeve Insignia) that I'm aware of for the army is either a Separate Brigade, Division, Corp, or Army.  I don't believe there are any smaller units than that with an approved SSI.  Another thing that you may consider is insignia for the right shoulder also.  SSI worn on the left designated your current assigned unit.  SSI worn on the right recognizes units that the individual has served in wartime with...officially its called an SSI-FWS (SSI-Former Wartime Service); common term is combat patch.  For example, I'm required to wear the 34th ID patch on my left side, because that is the unit I'm currently in.  On my right side, under the flag, I'm authorized to wear any one of 3 unit insignias as a combat patch...34th ID, 3rd Corp, and 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.  I'd say, throw a combat patch on your high speed infantryman.

I just finished cleaning all my gear, so it's in pieces and soaking wet right now, but once I get it back together I'll take a bunch of pictures with all my battle rattle on so you can get a feel for how it looks worn, as well as some detail shots of certain things like the helmet.

You're doing outstanding work, BTW.  Keep it up!  biggrin_o.gif

I don't have much time to type a response, but daaamn, you're getting those ACU's perfect.

Thanks for the distance pictures too smile_o.gif

Let me know if theres anything I can help with.

Quote[/b] ]Let me know if theres anything I can help with.

Thanks mate!  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The patch I have is a division..34th Infantry Division, to be specific.  Every SSI (Shoulder Sleeve Insignia) that I'm aware of for the army is either a Separate Brigade, Division, Corp, or Army.  I don't believe there are any smaller units than that with an approved SSI.  Another thing that you may consider is insignia for the right shoulder also.  SSI worn on the left designated your current assigned unit.  SSI worn on the right recognizes units that the individual has served in wartime with...officially its called an SSI-FWS (SSI-Former Wartime Service); common term is combat patch.  For example, I'm required to wear the 34th ID patch on my left side, because that is the unit I'm currently in.  On my right side, under the flag, I'm authorized to wear any one of 3 unit insignias as a combat patch...34th ID, 3rd Corp, and 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.  I'd say, throw a combat patch on your high speed infantryman.

I just finished cleaning all my gear, so it's in pieces and soaking wet right now, but once I get it back together I'll take a bunch of pictures with all my battle rattle on so you can get a feel for how it looks worn, as well as some detail shots of certain things like the helmet.

The photos would be very much obliged, thanks muchly. I will probably stick a few different patches on the right shoulder when I get some time, it'll make the units a bit less cut-and-paste.

One thing I would like to ask both of you: what is Army policy on LBHs (Load Bearing Harnesses)? Is there any standard issue, or are you allowed to wear whatever you like on top of the IBA? I'm planning to stick these ones in once I get access to the tools:

FLCV,

Ranger Rack,

MAV harness coupled with the MAV itself,

...and the SDS I-Rack. Any I should/should not include?

Quote[/b] ]Are you going to release a beta version or only final ?

Well, if I get all that I can possibly achieve without the tools done soon, there may be a beta in the pipeline. wink_o.gif And I'm pretty good at releasing patched versions if my OFP work is any indicator, hehe!

Thanks again.

Thanks CMcD looking forward to it mate biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Let me know if theres anything I can help with.

Thanks mate! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The patch I have is a division..34th Infantry Division, to be specific. Every SSI (Shoulder Sleeve Insignia) that I'm aware of for the army is either a Separate Brigade, Division, Corp, or Army. I don't believe there are any smaller units than that with an approved SSI. Another thing that you may consider is insignia for the right shoulder also. SSI worn on the left designated your current assigned unit. SSI worn on the right recognizes units that the individual has served in wartime with...officially its called an SSI-FWS (SSI-Former Wartime Service); common term is combat patch. For example, I'm required to wear the 34th ID patch on my left side, because that is the unit I'm currently in. On my right side, under the flag, I'm authorized to wear any one of 3 unit insignias as a combat patch...34th ID, 3rd Corp, and 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. I'd say, throw a combat patch on your high speed infantryman.

The photos would be very much obliged, thanks muchly. I will probably stick a few different patches on the right shoulder when I get some time, it'll make the units a bit less cut-and-paste.

One thing I would like to ask both of you: what is Army policy on LBHs (Load Bearing Harnesses)? Is there any standard issue, or are you allowed to wear whatever you like on top of the IBA? I'm planning to stick these ones in once I get access to the tools:

FLCV,

Ranger Rack,

MAV harness coupled with the MAV itself,

...and the SDS I-Rack. Any I should/should not include?

Quote[/b] ]Are you going to release a beta version or only final ?

Well, if I get all that I can possibly achieve without the tools done soon, there may be a beta in the pipeline. wink_o.gif And I'm pretty good at releasing patched versions if my OFP work is any indicator, hehe!

Thanks again.

Well, I know in my unit, noone really cares if a soldier uses a harness or not. It's all pretty much a matter of personal preference. Some like them, other' just prefer to attach the pouches directly to the IBA. As far as types, I've seen all different kinds being used..I think it'd be fine if you used any of those on the model.

Here's those pictures...if there's anything you need a better picture of specifically, let me know. I'm sure the fist think you'll notice is that we're required to wear the Deltoid & Arm protectors, the Neck Yoke with the Throat Guard, Side SAPI Carriers with plates, and the Groin Shield...It's all heavy, uncomfortable, and we all hate them, so if you don't model those parts of the IBA I don't think anyone would care....but if you are going for authenticity, this seems to be what all the cool kids are wearing these days. Other things..we are also required to wear nomex gloves and ballistic glasses...so I included some pictures of those too.

geargn0.jpg

gear2qj8.jpg

gear3uw9.jpg

gear4ug9.jpg

Two (some would argue three) words, mate: kickass, Sarge.

Thanks a shaftload for going to all that trouble. Will have to update my little list now. Questions incoming:

1. I assume the ballistic glasses are used on nightops too, having no shading, although they're removed when using the NODs, true? If so, I may have to drag out my ole remove-glasses-when-NOD'ing like my ole OFP units.

2. I'm curious about this part on your back; this is part of your SAPI carrier, right? Could I get a closeup, si possible?

SAPIBack.jpg

3. What's this on your arm?

Arm.jpg

4. I heard from my other advisor that hydration carriers can be non-standard as well. One example - the CamelBak can be carried in a ThermalBak if wished, etc. True?

5. What's your poison? Better not be any of that carb-reduced piss water! ...Or is it poor-reso Coke of some kind?

Beer.jpg

6. Can I please get a closeup of the nape pad on the ACH?

7. With regards to the neck yoke and throat guard, are there three clasps to the IBAs collar, or are you just wearing one clasp attached?

Throat.jpg

8. Once I complete training ('08), I may have a chance to go on exchange in the US. Apart from the unattainable items (such as a genuine ACH), how much of that gear is commercially available? I know one can pick up the IBA, ballistic plates and a fake ACH, but what about the deltoid protectors and SAPI? I'm looking to deck out in ACU to match my Auscam DPUs, and since playing paintball in one's own uniform is not a good idea...  biggrin_o.gif Not that I would actually play with the plates in, that option is for softies. Would be great for fancy dress parties and hunting, too.

Those units are looking really good. Any chance we'll see a release soon? I mean, you will probably not be able to do anything more with them untill the tools are made public, so how about releasing and giving us these to hold us over?

pwetty please? biggrin_o.gif

Btw comming back to what policy is. CamMcD you would have to look at what the GIs wear and what policy is. I mean we just have to look back to Vietnam where policy was flaunted by GIs. A classic example was the GIs were required to wear flak vests at all times alot of GIs chose to ignore this policy in the field.

P.S. or is it just me or is the US army looking more SI-FI. Troops are now looking like what SI-FI troops looked like in the 80s.

Rustman what unit are you with?

B Co (Mechanized) 2/136 INF (Combined Arms Battalion)

1/34th BCT, MNARNG

You?

Two (some would argue three) words, mate: kickass, Sarge.

Thanks a shaftload for going to all that trouble. Will have to update my little list now. Questions incoming:

1. I assume the ballistic glasses are used on nightops too, having no shading, although they're removed when using the NODs, true? If so, I may have to drag out my ole remove-glasses-when-NOD'ing like my ole OFP units.

2. I'm curious about this part on your back; this is part of your SAPI carrier, right? Could I get a closeup, si possible?

[imghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/SAPIBack.jpg[/img]

3. What's this on your arm?

[imghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/Arm.jpg[/img]

4. I heard from my other advisor that hydration carriers can be non-standard as well. One example - the CamelBak can be carried in a ThermalBak if wished, etc. True?

5. What's your poison? Better not be any of that carb-reduced piss water! ...Or is it poor-reso Coke of some kind?

[imghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/Beer.jpg[/img]

6. Can I please get a closeup of the nape pad on the ACH?

7. With regards to the neck yoke and throat guard, are there three clasps to the IBAs collar, or are you just wearing one clasp attached?

[imghttp://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e265/CameronMcDonald/Throat.jpg[/img]

8. Once I complete training ('08), I may have a chance to go on exchange in the US. Apart from the unattainable items (such as a genuine ACH), how much of that gear is commercially available? I know one can pick up the IBA, ballistic plates and a fake ACH, but what about the deltoid protectors and SAPI? I'm looking to deck out in ACU to match my Auscam DPUs, and since playing paintball in one's own uniform is not a good idea...  biggrin_o.gif Not that I would actually play with the plates in, that option is for softies. Would be great for fancy dress parties and hunting, too.

No problem...You're the one with the mad skills to make it all look good, so believe me, I'm more than happy to do what I can to help.  Ok...answers.  Pictures will come tomorrow..we just finished a patrol and my IBA, along with my camera, is locked in the platoon conex right now....it's also 2 in the morning and I think my roommate is trying to sleep.  

1) Yea...that's why I personally just wear clear lenses all the time.  Most of the guys wear darkened lenses during the day and then switch them out at nighttime, but I think that is more trouble than it's worth.  It is possible to use the NVG's with the glasses on, but I don't do it...it makes it harder to see and scratches the hell out of the glasses.  

2) Yup..that's the SAPI carrier.  You can see where the pouch opening is on my upper back because the velcro has worn out and it doesn't stay closed anymore.    

3) Map pens...Black, red and blue, specifically.  The ACU's have pen pockets on the left forearm.

4) Yup..as long as they conform color-wise (ACU, OD Green, Black, etc.) the individual soldier can use a personally bought one if he wants to.

5)  Tiger Piss! biggrin_o.gif  I'd love to say it's a case of beer, but we can't drink in theater....and that makes me sad.  sad_o.gif

http://www.wildtigerllc.com/Poster.jpg[/img

6)  When I post pictures tomarrow I'll be sure to get  couple of shots.

7) There's only two snaps on each side.  Snapping all four like that makes it too tight on my throat..makes me feel like I'm choking, so I only utilize the outermost snaps to loosen it up a bit.

8) You can get all of it, including an ACH.  The company that was originally awarded the contract for fielding ACH's was the Mine Systems Appliances Corporation.  If you want the actual ACH, made by the actual company that makes them for the military, do a google for MSA ACH.  I just did it myself..they're available for sale.  The rest of the stuff is harder to find, but if you look it's out there, to include the SAPI plates.  It's expensive, but available.

Awesome, thanks for your help, Rustman + others. I did a little bit of work last night on some cosmetic changes, here's two pics:

SAW gunner takes aim, leaning for no apparent reason.  tounge2.gif

1ID rifleman, previously of Tropic Lightning. Note helmet IR patches, now with normal maps!

- Oh, one last question for you, Rustman. How does the SAPI carrier stay on? Is it clipped to the IBA, or do you put your arms through it and wear it like an extra OTV?

^ Ah crap, this is gonna take me an hour to redo!  confused_o.gif Ta for the heads-up!

Blasted Army pulls the rug out from under my feet once again. icon_rolleyes.gif Ah well, until the modelling tools come out, I don't think I'll have the capability to make that vest, which sucks.

^ Ah crap, this is gonna take me an hour to redo! confused_o.gif Ta for the heads-up!

Blasted Army pulls the rug out from under my feet once again. icon_rolleyes.gif Ah well, until the modelling tools come out, I don't think I'll have the capability to make that vest, which sucks.

You should release version with the current("old") vest and then, when modelling tools come out, you can try to make this new vest.

I think it will be better for all.

Thanks. smile_o.gif

^ Ah crap, this is gonna take me an hour to redo! confused_o.gif Ta for the heads-up!

You should release version with the current("old") vest and then, when modelling tools come out, you can try to make this new vest.

I think it will be better for all.

Thanks. smile_o.gif

exactly...besides, the new vest isn't even close to having widespread use yet. Go with the current vest and then do up a new model when the tools get released.