Sign in to follow this  
BlackScorpion

Boris Yeltsin dies

OK, can't actually say that I'll miss him (not that he was a that bad fella) nor that it was a surprise, but he was the first president of the modern RF and a notable person. RIP

BBC reports.

Quote[/b] ]Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin has died, the Kremlin says.

Mr Yeltsin was 76. The cause of death has not yet been announced. He had a history of heart trouble.

In 1991 he famously outmanoeuvred former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and then triumphed against parliament hardliners in 1993.

Mr Yeltsin became Russia's first democratically elected president after Mr Gorbachev resigned as Soviet leader in December 1991.

He won international acclaim as a defender of democracy when in August 1991 he mounted a tank in Moscow, rallying the people against an attempt to overthrow Mr Gorbachev's era of glasnost and perestroika.

Mr Yeltsin had a quintuple heart bypass operation following his re-election in 1996.

He presided over Russia's troubled mass privatisation in the early 1990s and also launched the large-scale military intervention in Chechnya in 1994.

He announced his retirement on the last day of the 20th Century, handing over to secret service chief Vladimir Putin.

My opinion is that he did the best he could in a very, very, very tenous situation. At least now he can kick back and enjoy his vodka upstairs, eh?

RIP, Boris.

Guest Ti0n3r

What Cameron said.

R.I.P

About the deceased say good or nothing. I can say no good things about that man as a president, but as a man he was very strong-willed.

he might not be a good president, and maybe his speech doesnt make sence sometime, but he is one of those who stand out on the stage in a very chaotic time, RIP mr. Yeltsin.

I'm kinda surprised he lived that long after that bypass, everyone here kinda expected him to die within 5 years.

anyway, respect and may he rest in peace