Sign in to follow this  
nephilim

Some Modern Russian Boomsticks

Beautiful models nephilim!  thumbs-up.gif  Any chance of seeing a AN-94 "Abakan" in the future?

The models look better than in real life: there you have to polish them a lot for that beauty.

But I don't think all these details are nessesary: 98% of all the time the player sees his gun from the 1 perespective, in other hands he sees only the 2-4 lod model and compressed texture.

whistle.gif This addon is for better times with better graphic cards I guess. I still have big performance hits in towns - so the quality with price of performance does not make me happy.

The thing that impresses me the most is how thoughtful you are with details. For me, the front part of your model, is just amazing.

Do you have a gallery or webpage to take a look to your art-work??

Keep it up

@alpha125rbf

ok so i just make a box and write ak74m on it yes?

cause all the detail wont be seen anyway...

ive told previously.. i havent done the LODs yet, what you currently see is just the 1ST PERSON MODEL!

the usually have more polygons than the 3rd person..

the base ak stands about 4k quads and 8k of triangles. thats not much for the 1st person...

so if you want to play 3rd person only all the time fine...

and if you got performance probs, lower the specs.. that easy..

the model and textures get adapted.

@namereg

no not really, never needed that for my jobs :S

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517....MG]

this is a standart BIS Ak74. The gun looks well enough for me, but only a view people have seen the gun from this perespective. Normaly I see the ironsight and the upper barrel on my left monitor picture.

I do not critizise your work - its amazing. Its just a little strange when guns count more polys than tanks in the game... a game that is still not fully optimized. And perhaps will never be.

icon_rolleyes.gif

yea my ak has more polys than a BIS tank or the a10..

whats the point of creating new models then?

do you ever reload? i pretty often see not only the barrel an the ironsight...

dont like it, dont download it..

simple as that..

now cut it out.

To be honest, more poly's than a tank or not I'd rather have some AK's that look like Nephilim's than a BIS tank anyday.

Christ nephilim, now I see why you can be so critical of other model's, etc. at times. Those WIP pics are f$&@in' nuts. You sure got some skills. pistols.gifthumbs-up.gif

@nephilim

Is that a grenade ring around the muzzle brake/compensator?  Looks attached to the cleaning rod.  I guess an easy way to remove the cleaning rod in real life.

Hi, in a possible 1St release we could see 1p29 sighted AK74M's or

Kobra sighted ones?, or the 1St release will be most surely iron sighted

AK74's M?. Let's C ya

1st will just be ironsight only.

next ones dont know.

depends on what i can get done first smile_o.gif

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517....MG]

this is a standart BIS Ak74. The gun looks well enough for me, but only a view people have seen the gun from this perespective. Normaly I see the ironsight and the upper barrel on my left monitor picture.

I do not critizise your work - its amazing. Its just a little strange when guns count more polys than tanks in the game... a game that is still not fully optimized. And perhaps will never be.

So? new mdoels still good, maybe you can't use it with 100 units at same time, but you can use one, and give it to player... but weapons with mroe polygons then BIS A-10, i think its a bit of an overkill...

This was discussed in lenght already, besides, dont forget that the highest ploygon model is only for the 1st person view because only there you will notice all the details, when you look at the weapon on another soldier you will see a version with lot less polygons and if its well made you will not even see a big difference.

And the farer youre away the less polygons are shown because the game switches trough different models depending on the distance to the player.

I don't think LODs are distance regulated anymore, it's a mix of both distance and preformance, if I remember Suma or somebody else say so.

Of course, but it wouldnt make sense anyway to display a model 500 meters at highest res. cause its just some pixels then anyway.

Quote[/b] ].. but weapons with mroe polygons then BIS A-10, i think its a bit of an overkill...

sure is.

my basic ak wheigts bout 8k tris.

the BIS A10 has about hm.. 15 k??

Hi, the LODs seems to still be regulated by the distance, the 1St

LOD will be a good one depending on your graphic settings, so the

performance isn't really an issue; and im not worryed about the

in game performance, im in love of this AK74M's and i'll sell my soul

for 'em. Let's C ya

Nice work Neph.

The BIS M16 with M203 weighs in at 5100 faces. That's a combination of quads and tris.

The A10 is 13700 faces. Again mostly made up of quads so if it where tri's, it would be a lot more.

I honestly do not see a problem with the basic AK being at 8000 polys. Only thing I would be more concerned about is if the model were all tris and no quads but otherwise it will run perfectly on any system without lag. As long as proper LOD's are done, which nephilim said he was working on, there will be no problem as the 8k version will only be viewable when the player is holding it. Next LOD down it should be around 6k, then 2k, until it hits about 40polys.

Quote[/b] ]USSRsniper....blabla.....

->If...you...don't....like..it,....then...don't...download...it!

Remember this addon isn't build for your fun only. Some modelers have been working for the OFP/ARMA engine for all these years, it is hard to keep working on a 1980 limited low poly count standard.

As for Jenny, shouldn't be talking for her though, she isn't a super speed addon robot that spits out common addons every week. For her and some others we try to bring quality models into a game engine where we can be proud of...

If not mistaken it has been repeatatly mentioned the engine is more then capable to run smoothly and polycount isn't the main factor of performence. It is mainly the section count and its texture/shader count. Test would need to proof it, but personally i rather go for 3d detail then a texture effect to simulat a certain 3D that not always represents it correctly (fine for 'inner' 3D imho).

True, the good old 'your weapon has as much polys as a freaking BIS plane'saying...heard that before. It is freaking 2008 people. Beside, i rebuild some stuff in the past based on BIS contence. Well with the same amount of polys i was able to put in more detail then stock. So polycount doesn't says it all.

On the other side, i though it was more or less why this game still exists. BIS provides the core, the community fills it with contence. It is our job to raise the standards, i stopped playing with lego (bocky objects) years ago.

Quote[/b] ]a game that is still not fully optimized. And perhaps will never be.

Can i quote Shin on this? "Don't blame the modders for BIS running behind"..or something in the lines of that...

Quote[/b] ]Next LOD down it should be around 6k, then 2k, until it hits about 40polys.

And personally i find that a very poor lod structure. Imho a +5k model should have at least 6 or more lods. The more, the more choise the engine has to switch through lods.

2k->6k that is 4k faces the engine suddenly has to deal with. Put 20 objects in and you speak of a wooping 80k faces.

Anyway...

Sorry Jen, back to you tounge2.gif .