Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

MV-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor

AFAIK it is not possible to take off or land as a jet. Moreover, the engine nacelles animations must be tied to speed or inclination so they tilt and change their position from vertical (for Helicopter behaviour) to horizontal (for plane like behaviour).

Also in RL the ospreys cannot land like a plane. The propellers are so big they would hit the floor and desintegrate themselves.

Also stop whining and saying the textures are not of quality or I would like it in some other way. Gnat has put a lot of effort here to port Wipman's and Sole's V-22 from OFP and it the add-on will be released (if it is released) when he wants, and not a minute before.

Nice work again, Gnat and I hope you bring us new screenies of your ships soon.

thumbs-up.gif

Well AFAIK the osprey can do a Short Take off with its rotors at 45 degree angle. I believe its got like a locking system in real life, that doenst allow the rotors to go down more then a certain degree if the wheels are out.

Anyway that would be just details, having this bird in game will be fucking awesome. The animations might be a bit bugged, but come on its only WIP and its only to show off the freakin cool animation.

@GNAT

The system behind the animation of the whole aircraft could that be applied to other addons?

REALLY REALLY REAAALLLY GOOD WORK ON THIS ONE! thumbs-up.gif

I've been following this thread from the start and all I have to say dude, is this. Keep it up.

As for suggestions, my 2cents is as follows. You're the creator, decide when you want to release on your own time. Don't let others do it for you. Take a look at BAS, their birds took so long to complete but when they did people are playing them until today, at least i am.  tounge2.gif

For the weapons part, i think a gunner on the ramp will do but whatever you do come up with, I'm sure the community will support you especially with such a stunning addon as this.

regards, greg

notworthy.gif  I'm unworthy in the presence of such a great creator.

You know that in ArmA, with the helos, when the tail rotor is damages the torque of the main rotor is transmited to the body of the helicopter and then it starts spinning until it crashes or a really good pilot achieves an emergency landing.

The V-22 has safety systems so if one of the engines is damaged the other engine takes on the task of providing power.

Have you tried to disable one of the rotors to see what happens, Gnat?

Keep us posted with news!!!!

smile_o.gif

You know that in ArmA, with the helos, when the tail rotor is damages the torque of the main rotor is transmited to the body of the helicopter and then it starts spinning until it crashes or a really good pilot achieves an emergency landing.

The V-22 has safety systems so if one of the engines is damaged the other engine takes on the task of providing power.

Have you tried to disable one of the rotors to see what happens, Gnat?

Keep us posted with news!!!!

smile_o.gif

the other engine takes on the responsibility of the disabled one so that the osprey can land safely... not so that it can fly around and do normal stuff... if the engine could handle all that load, they wouldnt need two and that would save the navy and airforce about $11,000,000... wink_o.gif

Yep, Ospreys cant autorotate and the front gun was scrapped. Bit odd if you ask me. Would have thought it useful to be able to clear an LZ or at least surpress it on the way in.

From what I understand it was scrapped for budget reasons. Apparently nobody is able to make a cheap simple remote turret as it always has to have a super expensive thermal imager and other bells and whistles. Hell, even a simple 40mm "Blooper" like the old "Huey Hogs" of the Vietnam War era would do the job better then nothing. Most likely what you will see is units improvising their own addon weaponry. The MV-22 however represents a challenge as I don't think it can mount rocket pods forward of the rotors and the rotors are too big in forward flight to fire rockets from behind the rotors. They need to call the Russians and ask for some of their old Mi-24 turrets that just have light intensifiers for night vision and a 12.7mm gattling gun.

Cheap and simple. Upgrade to a 30mm cannon in a similar turret (like some of the newer Hind variants) and you got some serious LZ clearing capability.

But today in the defense industry its all about $$$$$$.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

GNAT reminds me a guy who wants to build skyscraper alone wink_o.gif all his addons are looking great but he never want to release it one by one ... i thought he wants to release it on xmas but I was wrong )))

when you reckon these will be done it looks awesome and im in a marine realisim unit wed love these

www.15thmeu.net

Just hopping by to say I love what you've done with the Osprey GNAT. I'm glad you could make use of my basic model smile_o.gif

Thanks Sole, glad it was around for the community. Bloody nice start smile_o.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>COMMUNITY-ITES</span></span>

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>Put the word out, I'm after a good MV-22 camo texture ... seeing I'm shyt at textures</span></span>

Provide that and I'll see what I can do to touch up the p3d and config so its releasable.

Very nice work! thumbs-up.gif

Gnat @ Jan. 29 2008,12:04)]Put the word out, I'm after a good MV-22 camo texture ... seeing I'm shyt at textures

Provide that and I'll see what I can do to touch up the p3d and config so its releasable.

Do they use "camo" on the MV-22? Only saw grey (navy?) versions till now.

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

Half-life 1 ospreys had some deseert camo but that game aint about realism so i dont know but it would look cool to have one.. inlove.gif

Hi, seems that the yankee army uses or is trying some black V-22B

Osprey, but the airforce and the Marines uses two diferent grey

tones painted V-22B and MV-22B respectively. But the Osprey still

in testing stage. Let's C ya

Yeah, all the pictures I have seen is just a color a grey, either it be a light color or dark color. But grey won't go with the color scheme of ArmA, just hope you can find a decent balance between ArmA colors and real colors used on the Osprey.

But grey won't go with the color scheme of ArmA, just hope you can find a decent balance between ArmA colors and real colors used on the Osprey.

Uhhh, you mean the way the ArmA "colour scheme" features a grey AH-1Z and Harrier?

Edit: Medicus beat me to it.

Ah, yeah. You got me on that one. I forgot about the AV8B and the A10 color was grey. whistle.gif

So yeah, grey can work.

Just pull some colours off of some suitable pictures of (operational?) v-22s and use that as a base. It should be simple enough.

http://www.defenselink.mil/transfo....lot.jpg

For continuity's sake you could also pull some colours off of the harrier material.

I just used photoshop to try to eliminate all of the shadows and highlights in the above image. The colour I got out of it was a1a9ab.

edit: This image looks pretty badass. It's a completely different paint scheme than I'm used to seeing.

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2006/airshows/riat/flying/v22_3.jpg

Sounds like there could be a great deal here.

Posted on Youtube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnnZDcK2Ys

Quote[/b] ]Tykell (4 days ago)

If Gnat releases his Osprey, sure. Consider it a trade.

I think the community would be very happy if boith of these where released.

When I saw this I instantly thought that the Harrier code would make the V-22 possible and challenging enough to fly. I heard that it's possible to make the BIS harrier VTO just by adding some more power so this shouldn't be a reason not to use Harrier code for the V-22. I'd be happy to see this thing take some skill to fly instead of it being all done for you via a speed-controlled animation.

The only reasons I would see not to use harrier code for the V-22 would be:

1. Can't slow the transition between the two nozzle/nacelle positions to be reasonable to fly.

2. Can't define several nozzle positions (forward, down, 45 for airplane landing).

3. Handling issues at hover and forward flight.

4. AI can't land it like a helicopter out in the field.

There was a bad ass program on the military channel that has been running for the past couple of days about the Osprey and it's first usage in combat.

It is a veritable smorgashborg of information on the real world usage of the aircraft.

Osprey Program on the Military Channel