Sign in to follow this  
The_Nebula

1GB Ram to 2GB Ram - Boost in Performance?

Basicly what the title says, Just ordered 2x 1GB DDR400 PC3200 Ram sticks, I currently have 2x 512MB Sticks. Will this increase in Ram be a 'noticeable' difference?

My Setup:

AMD Athlon 64bit 3500+ @ 2.2Ghz

ABIT NF-95 Motherboard

1GB DDR400 PC3200 Ram (Soon to be 2GB DDR400 PC3200)

XFX 7800GT 256MB

I have everything on low except for terrain which is on normal and resoultion is 800x600 and I have the view distance at 1000. I get around 35-45FPS on sahrani. With the same settings but with a boost of 1GB Ram, will that FPS Jump up alot? Also, any suggestions in graphics options also, with my setup, so I can get the best out of the game?

Thanks for replies.

- Nebula

I upgraded a few weeks back and noticed the game was much better. Load times were far quicker and I was able to boost the graphics just a little bit more.

Better performance? I don't know how I lived with 1GB for so long !! biggrin_o.gif

Excellent news. Any suggestions for upping the graphics when they arrive?

Excellent news. Any suggestions for upping the graphics when they arrive?

I'd suggest you to spend your time on something else

until you got the extra ram.

It's not worth the time thinking around about what you

could make better only to realize afterwards that theory

and facts are different always. wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

Don't expect to see a frame rate jump, but do expect to see less stuttering. So you probably won't be able to increase detail above what you have it set too.

You can also try keeping Arma in a dedicated partition and defragmenting it often while trying to run the least number of tasks possible. That reduces stutter significantly for me even I only have 1 Gb of RAM at the moment.

Loading Times especially, will be done quicker with more amount of Memory/RAM. wink_o.gif

Cheers. smile_o.gif

ive seen ArmA use over 1GB of memory so yeah, definately less stuttering

I changed 1GB -> 2GB and noticed better performance, especially with the -maxmem startup parameter. Not sure if the beta patch needs the parameter...

I just upgraded to 2 gigs of ddr2 and it helped with not only performance but also little things like, running videochat at the same time with no stuttering, or alt-tabbing in and out like a madman and opening up any number of pr0grams i wanted and going back into game with only a second missed inbetween desktop and game...

in otherwords your pc isn't a slow piece of shit anymore

As far as I am concerned the amount of RAM is not that important anymore when great values are involved anywhere.

Doubling the RAM will maybe add only 5-10 % of advantage I would say. What really counts is the latency times ...

Example:

Quote[/b] ]CAS Latency (CL)

RAS-to-CAS-Delay (tRCD)

RAS-Precharge-Time (tRP)

Row-Active-Time (tRAS)

Usually they are written in a row like CL4 4-4-12. The lower the better !

And DDR2 is not equal to DDR2 .. if you want the fastest, get PC800 instead of PC667 or PC553 .... In my view the speed of the connection of RAM is more important than the Amount.

Just like the 128 or 256 bit graphiccard interface or the core clock (which is not saying that much anymore).

I've always had 2gb in my machine since I built it 2 years ago. I've never regretted it, it's handled everything I've ever thrown at it with ease, and I'm not talking games only. I cannot compare 1gb with 2gb unfortunately, I can only say that I highly recommend 2gb smile_o.gif

I've always had 2gb in my machine since I built it 2 years ago. I've never regretted it, it's handled everything I've ever thrown at it with ease, and I'm not talking games only. I cannot compare 1gb with 2gb unfortunately, I can only say that I highly recommend 2gb smile_o.gif

Genrally 2GB makes ARMA run better, but many other games will also run better with 2 GB including:

World Of Warcraft

BF2 2142

Supreme Commander

Most of these games will steal over 1gig ram or just work alot better with over 2 GIG. And Vista is a memory whore so you will be ready for the upgrade ;}

A GPU upgrade oftens makes the most noticible difference in games but enough memory allows you to alt-tab out etc and not have the game crash.

Vista is a memory whore so you will be ready for the upgrade ;}

Bleah smile_o.gif

I built this rig to work well under XP, I'll be building another to work well under Vista, in about a year when it's up to scratch wink_o.gif (i.e. DX10 is out and some good stuff uses it and cards etc are reliable and proven)

I might be seeing this all wrong but vista users should maybe consider more than 2gb?

I have vista and 2gb of ram and tbh arma runs like shit sometimes sad_o.gif

I might be seeing this all wrong but vista users should maybe consider more than 2gb?

I think thats vista more than anything, give it a few more updates etca dn vista will be a dream. Right now its almost there.

Im with you on that , went from xp to vista and omg what a bag of shite.

Arma goes slow mo now, keeping my patience with vista updates crazy_o.gif

vista reserves 1gb to it self, and the rest goes to other apps.

CAS doesn't count so much anymore with Dual channel RAM, in fact you'll find most dual channel pairs are clocked rather high due to needing to sync. Anywhere from 2-3 is a good latency timing, especially with high quality stuff.

The big difference you notice with an extra 1GB of RAM is loading times and a general smoothing out of everything. It aids caching so much that you will see a great deal less of the stutters or fps drops as you enter and view new areas.

I recently upgraded both my storage space and RAM, I went from old Seagate Barracuda IDE drives to a new Western Digital SATA2 320GB drive with 16MB cache and another 1GB of Corsair Twinx and the difference in ArmA was huge. Not so much in fps which stayed about the same, but in general smoothness. Performance is really leveled out well now with good load times and no caching hiccups, I also noticed that it has also limited the instances of the LOD glitch happening dramatically.

Then sadly my x1950 Pro just upped and died a horrible death so now I have an old Ti4200 in this machine until I sort it out confused_o.gif

CAS doesn't count so much anymore with Dual channel RAM, in fact you'll find most dual channel pairs are clocked rather high due to needing to sync. Anywhere from 2-3 is a good latency timing, especially with high quality stuff.

The big difference you notice with an extra 1GB of RAM is loading times and a general smoothing out of everything. It aids caching so much that you will see a great deal less of the stutters or fps drops as you enter and view new areas.

I recently upgraded both my storage space and RAM, I went from old Seagate Barracuda IDE drives to a new Western Digital SATA2 320GB drive with 16MB cache and another 1GB of Corsair Twinx and the difference in ArmA was huge. Not so much in fps which stayed about the same, but in general smoothness. Performance is really leveled out well now with good load times and no caching hiccups, I also noticed that it has also limited the instances of the LOD glitch happening dramatically.

Then sadly my x1950 Pro just upped and died a horrible death so now I have an old Ti4200 in this machine until I sort it out confused_o.gif

CAS latency on A64/X2/Core2duo is bullshit.

it's useless.

on core2duo especially , ram speed doesnt count . between 0 & 2% overall perfs gain from 433mhz DDR2 to 1066mhz DDR2 UberR0x0r. insignifiant so ....

2Go ram is , i think usefull. maybe more, a MUST Have and in same time a "Must have no more than".

i doubled my framerate in buying a core2duo. doubled in usual gaming condition (1200/1500 viewdistance) , and trippled in stunning condition (3000m , object very high , high unit number, such condition reached by playing a CTI game without dedy server)

Every guy who want play Arma these next month / years should buy a new CPU.

And this info just flew into your Mind or you have some sources for this? (Would Kinda suck for ppl with 512mb/1024mb RAM don't you think?)

Vista uses ALL available RAM for caching until a program needs it, so you could say Vista actually uses ALL RAM, but this is not really true because Vista frees it up again when progs need it, but in the meantime you get a nicely boosted Vista Experience due to the cache.

AFAIK, the amount of RAM that Windows uses for its Kernel & Components depend on the amount of RAM you have, so Windows pages less of it's own Kernel/Components when a system has a lot of RAM. And visa versa, to keep RAM available for other Software.

And this info just flew into your Mind or you have some sources for this? (Would Kinda suck for ppl with 512mb/1024mb RAM don't you think?)

Vista uses ALL available RAM for caching until a program needs it, so you could say Vista actually uses ALL RAM, but this is not really true because Vista frees it up again when progs need it, but in the meantime you get a nicely boosted Vista Experience due to the cache.

AFAIK, the amount of RAM that Windows uses for its Kernel & Components depend on the amount of RAM you have, so Windows pages less of it's own Kernel/Components when a system has a lot of RAM. And visa versa, to keep RAM available for other Software.

www.techpowerup.com

it's been discussed over and over, vista reserves 1gb to it's self and uses this to run the OS. rest goes to 3rd party apps.

www.techpowerup.com

it's been discussed over and over, vista reserves 1gb to it's self and uses this to run the OS. rest goes to 3rd party apps.

Too bad you can't gimme a direct link, been searching for minutes on there for Vista, Vista 1GB etc. etc. but can't find anything related?