Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

I love disputes like this. It reminds me of old times when we were quarrelling what is better, Amiga or Atari? wink_o.gif

There is only one engine we use, which is being continuously developed, and sometimes there are some non-core features which are developed only for a particular product or product branch. This engine is called Real Virtuality, internally also sometimes codenamed Poseidon.

Regarding which version of the engine the ArmA uses, the answer is quite easy. The engine incarnations release so far (in chronological order, with engine version numbers):

OFP: Cold Was Crisis 1.00 - 1.46

OFP: Resistance 1.75-1.96

VBS1 1.75-1.99

OFP: Elite 2.85

ArmA: Armed Assault 5089 - 5151 - ? ? ?

VBS2 - ? ? ?

The engine version system changed between Elite and Arma, and all you can tell about ArmA engine number is it uses build 5089 - 5151, depending on the version you have.

Engine used in ArmA contains large areas which are substantially reworked since OFP (scene management, rendering pipeline, script precompilation, animation management, UI flexibility, and other).

If you want to call it RV 1.5, RV 2 or RV 3, I think does not mean much. Technically most correct way would be to call it RV 5136. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet

notworthy.gif If i had a dream it would be to see the fanboys flattened by a big Sumo wrestler

i guess seeing them stopped by a Suma ,is as close to Virtual reality as it will ever come, pun intended.

nener.gifyay.gifrofl.gifbiggrin_o.gifinlove.gif

And here I thought VBS2/Game 2 was new from the ground up and had little to nothing in common with the old OFP engine... silly me... sorry for the whole swearing part, my blood pressure's high because of exams. >_<

I love disputes like this. It reminds me of old times when we were quarrelling what is better, Amiga or Atari? wink_o.gif

There is only one engine we use, which is being continuously developed, and sometimes there are some non-core features which are developed only for a particular product or product branch. This engine is called Real Virtuality, internally also sometimes codenamed Poseidon.

Regarding which version of the engine the ArmA uses, the answer is quite easy. The engine incarnations release so far (in chronological order, with engine version numbers):

VBS1 1.75-1.99

VBS2 - ? ? ?

The engine version system changed between Elite and Arma, and all you can tell about ArmA engine number is it uses build 5089 - 5151, depending on the version you have.

Engine used in ArmA contains large areas which are substantially reworked since OFP (scene management, rendering pipeline, script precompilation, animation management, UI flexibility, and other).

If you want to call it RV 1.5, RV 2 or RV 3, I think does not mean much. Technically most correct way would be to call it RV 5136. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet

But Amiga is clearly the better one tounge2.gif

This is great news. Sure for BIS it could perhaps mean they can forget about selling any games anymore , but from a customer standpoint this could perhaps the competition that was so lacking in the last years.

If Codemasters makes OFP2 yet another mainstream "Tactical" Shooter it means all the HappyMeal CTF Twitchy people in this community will go away. -> Win Situation.

That would also mean that BIS unable to compete with all the money Codemasters has to throw at it,would have to go more Sim.

-> Win Situation.

And if OFP2 is way more Sim than ArmA(or Game2) then I will just go play that -> Win Situation.

But Codemasters first has to prove they have something good.

I will buy any game that doesnt appease to CTF-HappyMealers and tries to simulate Battalion vs Battalion warfare.

GAME2 certainly smash competition, Flashpoint 2 haven´t chance, but for compare I would like some preview from GAME 2 this year. smile_o.gif

Please BIS guys, you have this power wink_o.gif

Competition in small or niche markets usually lead to someone's and often everyone's demise. Simulation games generally have small markets and way too much competition for profitable products. Arma is a sim first, game second. I don't think you really want competition here.

VBS1 1.75-1.99

VBS2 - ? ? ?

Ha! My beautifully ugly little Elite uses version 2.(almost 3)

Suck it console haters! nener.gif (all in good fun, unlike some of you that bash consoles.)

One of the things I'm hoping FP2 will have is superior(over OFP/ArmA) physics and I think that's pretty much guaranteed.

Guest Ti0n3r

I just came to think about, I hope it comes with a decent campaign, like CWC. I kinda feels like they want to sell this game, and a good campaign + good multiplayer is the right way to do so.

Let me guess wink_o.gif

VBS1  1.75-1.99

Source was controlled by CVS.

Them someone converted it via cvs2svn

VBS2 - ? ? ?

Now the build-number is in fact the subversion revision of the main trunk?

regards

Boecko

Competition in small or niche markets usually lead to someone's and often everyone's demise. Simulation games generally have small markets and way too much competition for profitable products. Arma is a sim first, game second. I don't think you really want competition here.

ArmA is still game sad_o.gif

"I need more real!!!" whistle.gif

That is what I thought, it for sure is not some arbitrary-chosen number (must be directly related to source code version in the repository or it doesn't make much sense).

Lets see what happens at the Leipzig Games Convention, its soon right?

When is it? Where do I find out about it (that is, where do I find what info comes out of it on OFP2)

That is what I thought, it for sure is not some arbitrary-chosen number (must be directly related to source code version in the repository or it doesn't make much sense).

orthrough the engine talk is just a bunch of BS IMO i think i could use some spear time try to stop it

what suma tries to say is that: ALL BI created soft(OFP,ARMA,Elite,VBS1,VBS2 blah blah blah for future games)are using the RV(dunno why every ppl get it wrong) engine A.K.A Poseidon, but it is in a different generation and builts, point is, the differents between "generation" and "version", the first one have got themself heavily rewrite inorder to adding new things(big one), work better, look better, etc; the secound one is about slight code change, bug fix, adding new things(small things) and blah blah blah

so ppl please stop these word games and stick on topic, if you misunderstanding something and want to stick with it its fine, but dont use this topic, its being idiot playground for far too long

Let me guess wink_o.gif

VBS1 1.75-1.99

Source was controlled by CVS.

Them someone converted it via cvs2svn

VBS2 - ? ? ?

regards

Boecko

Wrong. But this isn't interesting in this thread anyway, 4 In 1 is right there; so please don't get too OT. smile_o.gif

Lets see what happens at the Leipzig Games Convention, its soon right?

When is it? Where do I find out about it (that is, where do I find what info comes out of it on OFP2)

I think the Games convention takes place in late August.

The argument about the graphics engines is one of the stupidest things I have seen here rofl.gif . It's amazing how people that obviously don't know what they are talking about think they are right. Good thing Suma ended it before it ruined the topic.

If OFP 2 delivers something close to what it promises then it could be a good game, but I'm pretty confident in Game2.

They could both be worth the money, it's not like you're only allowed to play one. Unless one turns out to be a piece of junk I will buy both. smile_o.gif

If it doesnt have a mission editor then forget it wink_o.gif thats what i say LOL!

If it doesnt have a mission editor then forget it wink_o.gif thats what i say LOL!

I'm pretty damn sure it will have one because CM knows what kept OPF alive for such a long time wink_o.gif

Many people might not need a mission editor, they might instead need a game that works well and is fun to play. So what I am saying is, you can't say if this OFP2 by Codemasters is going to fail or succeed if it has a mission editor or not. I bet most people who play computer games won't bother with a mission editor (you belong to a small minority if you do).

Bring it on.

May the strongest survive.

Nothing is less favourable to the end user than a monopoly.

Unfortunately this game has me thinking it's going to be a console port.

I'm all up for any additions to the genre, but invariably don't care much for consolised software.

Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately this game has me thinking it's going to be a console port.

Yeh got to agree wth you there, that was my fear about arma and unfortunately that fear was realised. sad_o.gif

lets hope both game 2 and ofp2 are more original than ports of exisiting 8 year old genres repackaged.

i also agree with others that , i think if codies have spent 2 year dev on this ( obviously the engine there speaking of, because the job for ofp2 top man didnt go out till last year).they will realise that the longevity is in the editor .

As for expansions/community addons ,hmm am i commiting a sin by suggesting , to eliminate tkc with dubious pbo`s and trojan hacked exe`s , is it worth 45-50 quid for a dvd full of expansion pack that you know is gonna provide , no conflict of addons or no way throug/better protection ,every 6 months or so ?

after abondoning online playing and getting bored waiting for tools , i am beggining to think i would pay it (at this time ). ??