Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

What's with the people using OPF instead of OFP now? biggrin_o.gif

Regarding the awesome damage model for armor in OFP2:

I believe similar system is actually already used in Battlefield 2.

No, Battlefield 2 has a crappy hitpoint system.

Red Orchestra and WW2 online use these systems.

Here is an overview video of WW2 Onlines sytem which is very impressive.

in ARMA projectiles that do not have enought power to penetrate armour can already be ricochet off, problem for arma is that its not fully simulated and i just wondered if BI are willing to put it into the next level, as this might be something that VBS2 dont need

Quote[/b] ]

So, your saying ArmA and OPF didn't have simplistic weapon load outs, No default unit was given an M16, almost EVERY default unit was given an M4 Aimpoint.

So what? That's how it is in a professional army; there is a standardized load-out for every soldier. It's not like Joes show up armed with whatever they want, or something.

*edit*

The RACs had M16A2s, by the way.

I read it and it is interesting.

First paragraph reads:

Quote[/b] ]

If there's one game that needs a sequel, it's Operation Flashpoint.

"It was a game with a lot of potential," observes the game's senior designer and lead AI designer, Clive Lindop. "People fell in love with it even though it had lots of quirks and lots of things weren't quite right with it, but its promise, and the fact that it was unique kind of drew people in."

Again it sounds like Clive was senior designer fo OFp

Getting that out of the way it does mention Morale with the Ai and Land,Air and Sea ...so apparantly does have watercraft.

Still have till Spring 09 so alot of things could be added or dropped till then.

Sounds promising but again I don't fall for hype as yet.Fallen for that too many times in past I've pre-ordered games,waited in lines and what-have-you.Usually with a let-down in end.

I remember a video showcasing a normal and a wrecked model of a PBR(? US cabin cruiser sort of thing), So I'm not surprised by that.

Here's another article from Eurogamer.  This time an interview with Clive:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=243347

There some interesting tidbits on getting wounded (dismemberment and even going limp leg ala GR1) and some info on the save system. Sounds like saves will be:

1. Quick-save friendly -or-

2. OFP1-style save punishment

based on the difficutly setting.  Anyhow, I like the fear of death... makes it more immersive. wow_o.gif

Nice. I'm all about the punishment. Thinking back it was that 1 save in OFP's 'After Montignac' and excellent enemy placement that kept me completely immersed for the 2 days I spent trying to complete it. An easy save system would have ruined that immersion that I still remember so many years later.

Goddamn that was a tough mission. Used to end with me dodging tank shells in a stolen UAZ driven hell-bent for the evac zone. inlove.gif <sigh> Just doesn't get better than that. smile_o.gif

Goddamn that was a tough mission. Used to end with me dodging tank shells in a stolen UAZ driven hell-bent for the evac zone. inlove.gif <sigh> Just doesn't get better than that. smile_o.gif

I wonder if you ever unlocked the alternative mission? I remember I did once, that one was way scarier. The red car and the t55 parked in the field! Ugh, I tried and tried, but the damn tank always got me trying to run away in the car!

The AI sounds pretty amazing. No wait, the AI sounds UBER amazing, I hope its not just DEV-hype talk.

"It'll follow you if you're in charge, but if you don't do anything, it'll find its own cover, its own target, he has his own simulated morale and expression. He could even abandon you. If he thinks you're a nutter because you keep running at machine gun posts, he'll stop following you. He'll tell you that. He'll tell you, 'I think you're losing it', and then the next thing you know you're on your own because they've left you."

I would also really like to see a much faster reaction and movement from the AI then what we are used too in these types of games.

I wonder if you ever unlocked the alternative mission? I remember I did once, that one was way scarier. The red car and the t55 parked in the field! Ugh, I tried and tried, but the damn tank always got me trying to run away in the car!

I was playing FFUR Asian Crisis when i stumbled that mission first time. I quess i never finished the alternative mission... I dont' know why.

Me thinks "After Montignac" was relatively easy with vanilla OFP. There wasn't any activity to east past Province. Just heading northeast, sneaking around Province and then just following road to coast and so on.

Now... heading south banghead.gif

Heading south when using some mod like FFUR banghead.gifbanghead.gifgoodnight.gif (Yup never got thru from there, had to head north)

"If a 50 cal round hits you, you vaporise, and your arms come off! So health system-wise, you're dead! There's no hiding behind something while a ticker goes up. We have something called a Catastrophic Body Damage System - but there's a purpose to it. When somebody gets hit by a bullet, it hurts, and it does catastrophic damage to the body."

Sounds pretty sweet, I just hope they don't come off like Soldier of Forture XD

I've never seen what a .50 cal can do to a body, but I think "You vapourize" just means your gonna be torn apart.

I've never seen what a .50 cal can do to a body, but I think "You vapourize" just means your gonna be torn apart.

Pretty much.

I've seen pictures, trust me its not pretty.

I bloody well hope so, even something as soft as a human torso doesn't magically disappear when hit with a .50 round. Large entry + exit wounds, sure. Nice big hole, sure. Vapourisation, gay.

Yeah, I too hope Clive's just being enthusiastic, I'd hate to see the culmination of all their research be a damage model out of Soldier of Fortune. Then again, GRID has a pretty amazing damage model, which makes me more willing to think it's just enthusiasm.

"Catastrophic Body Damage System"... Fancy name for system which seems to be relatively simple: One hit and your out.

Or what?

human torso doesn't magically disappear when hit with a .50 round

It also doesn't magically keep perfectly intact and fly across the sky after being hit directly by a 120mm HEAT round or a 2,000-pound bomb.

Maybe he's referring to an explosive .50 cal round. The Barrett is an anti-material sniper rifle after all.

Pretty much.

I've seen pictures, trust me its not pretty.

I highly doubt it.  I can see there being a lot of damage to the head because it is not a very large volume and it is not elastic.  The skull is not elastic and the brain is not elastic, and the inelastic brain is contained inside the inelastic skull.  Everything but the bones and the liver in the torso is fairly elastic.  Furthermore, the inelastic skeleton is contained within the very elastic flesh.  I very much doubt that if someone was shot in the torso with a .50 that you would be able to tell without close examination.  ie.  The torso would not be torn apart, or would have significant, patially or fully bisecting tears in it, or anything like that. I doubt there would be significant deformity.