Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

Thx for the links...well actually the 3rd one is the same as the first.

They modelled a handgrenade with 5000 polys ?!?

Do i need to start saving money for a Cray ? huh.gif

Seriously, if they don´t waste it, it could be something interesting.

Basically that is my concern with OFP2.

For the grenade i think they are talking about the "1st person view" model, i can't imagine that grenade in "world" will feature such high polycount, considering the scale of the game (and so that in some situation there could be a rain of grenades smile_o.gif ) such lack of optimisation would not help exactly the performance.

I remember having read comments about the "colin mcrae dirt " demo that is featuring the same engine (and i believe smaller "maps" than what is announced with OFP2). And it reminded me a lot of what i read about Arma : people with good enough computers having very bad performance.

I can only hope that codemasters will optimise their game and engine for today systems, not the ones that may exist in the future.

Remember these days the size of the "map" is only as big as the viewdistance due to streaming. This is still bigger than, say a CS:S map but streaming and distance LODs should mean performance is kept high.

I´m not quite sure and I think I haven´t read anything solid on streaming terrain in OFP2, but the article at one point talks of "levels" which gave me quite a freeze but would explain the high detail they are obviously aiming for. Could it be that the 220km´s will be chopped into pieces ? I know it makes little sense for a concept like that, but still, I have my doubts...

Ah that's possible. There may be say, 6 large maps that make up Skira, since Skira is so huge in real life. The whole island may not even be in the game. The playing areas are still likely to be huge, and it may just be like having Everon, Malden and Kolgujev biggrin_o.gif All games these days have streaming technology and DIRT certainly does.

Its looking awesome, cant help but think of GRAW though from the screenshots, but looks good. It's looking very resource-heavy, but with a new computer it looks like it could be great. Good job Codemasters, I cant say I had originally thought much (if anything) would have come of their OFP2 project.

But I guess the proof is in the pudding.

Competition is definitely a good thing. If Codies and BIS egg each other on, we may wind up with two awesome mil-sim games next year.

And was that a subtle dig at BIS with that last line on page 55 (page 4 of the scan), "the enemy may throw smoke grenades at you"?

I just hope it's a workable multi platform release , like Oblivion was.   If they dumb the whole thing down for consoles ,it'll be a big mistake.

Take away the possibility for mods, and you might as well not even release it.

Not to mention Arma is the main reason I bought a new gaming rig. So if people were complaining about ARMA dragging down their system, OFP2's performance is gona be a rude awakening.

Either way the gamer wins in the end , and BIS has handed out the gold medals twice.  Hope CM has at least a silver for us somewhere smile_o.gif

Here is page 3

http://www.operationflashpoint2.info/images....2_3.jpg

Haven't finished reading this page yet but they mention the possibility of bleeding to death and medivacs. I'm intrigued. I don't think it'll run on any computer I'll own in the next five years though :-/

*Edit*

Finished reading the whole thing. I'm excited, I may not be able to play it for a few years but it's looking quite good and I think it has a chance of making a big impact.

Hmm ok problem is I'm a pessimist and a cynic, so really I need to set my hopes lower or else I know I'll be let down.

Still it sounds like it could be great. I'm definitely interested in this, which is something I cannot say for ARMA2

Quote[/b] ]Preview: The military sim master is back

BIS have lost credibility with publishing ArmA. People will rush to Codemaster's OpF 2 massively...not becouse of name, but there is just too many disappointed people with ArmA. Period.

I agree Radnik. However, this may be considered a 'flame', and I'm sure you don't want to be the cause of the thread becoming locked.. now.. do you?

=============================

Nice link there. It seems the those who aren't 6 year hardcore OFP players are the ones always asking the questions. Especially with dozens of typo's... heh, anyways, I liked the info. Just wish they were more public with the game at this stage.

I agree Radnik. However, this may be considered a 'flame', and I'm sure you don't want to be the cause of the thread becoming locked.. now.. do you?

=============================

Nice link there. It seems the those who aren't 6 year hardcore OFP players are the ones always asking the questions. Especially with dozens of typo's... heh, anyways, I liked the info. Just wish they were more public with the game at this stage.

Well if that would be the case it wouldn`t really reflect good on the forum in my opinion.

However don`t forget that the release dates as they stand today I believe Arma 2 to be released in Q2 2008 while OPF2 is Q4 2008 so I guess we won`t have to face them "against" eachother.

I believe alot of gamers initially will get both games, over a longer period of time...I don`t know.

I think a lot gamers will wait for the demo, befor they buy ArmA2 or OFP2.

All I know is that BIS lost a lot of 'props' with ArmA. Codemasters (currently) doesn't have a bad reputation on their games, but do have big shoes to fill.

With their largest team ever assembled for a game of any magnatude, I have a lot of confidence in them. I love DiRT, and cannot wait to see what they bring to the Flashpoint series.

Quote[/b] ]Preview: The military sim master is back

BIS have lost credibility with publishing ArmA. People will rush to Codemaster's OpF 2 massively...not becouse of name, but there is just too many disappointed people with ArmA. Period.

Dissapointed? ArmA is exactly (Or more considering the gfx) what BIS said it would be, OFP 1.5.

I remember when we were debating whether ArmA would even allow for two guns on a Blackhawk and Commander MGs right up to the point of passionately debating whether a screenshot of a Blackhawk had one or two MGs.

Back on topic, whether OFP2 fails in an epic fashion or annihilates the competition is irrelevant to me. If OFP2 turns out to be better than ArmA 2, I'll probably move to it. If not, I'll be playing a BIS game. As was said before, it's a win - win situation. There's competition so modern infantry combat sims will not be quietly fading away like space sims did anytime soon.

Quote[/b] ]As was said before, it's a win - win situation.

The biggest question that needs to be asked and answered in order to give us a clue where ofp2 is going is :

Are codemasters interested in the commercial side of mil sims and if the answer is yes ,then probably like bis they will make ofp2 very editable and thus instantly multiply there R&D/recruitement grounds

exponentialy, if the answer is no then we are heading down the same old road of expansion city and a very limited life span for ofp2.

In reality i guess we win to an extent in all ways in as much as we

will get either a very open and editable game just like good old ofp but more modern or we get quality proffesional made addons that dont conflict and are all mp compatible (best case scenario).

I guess the only loser would be BIA which may result in BIS being affected unless you believe the people that says its a seperate company and BIS in no way depends on there revenue in order to keep there heads above water what is clear is that if huge amounts of the community was to move to ofp2 then BIA would lose a very nice pool of talent.

video.

That's old, everybody here's seen that. confused_o.gif

That video says me nothing.

Was that truly ingame footage or just an animated sequence made for PR?

LIke I said, that video says me nothing.

Quote[/b] ]So it is that 70 people are currently employed in Kuala Lumpur to ensure that every weapon is modelled entirely accurately - from the bullets it fires to the scope. A single hand grenade is now composed of 5,000 polygons - an entire Op Flash soldier used to have only 500.

I like it how they try to sound smart and fail at it. It seems the writer of the article is on the track of:

LOL BIGGER NUMBER BETTARH! WIN

That video says me nothing.

Was that truly ingame footage or just an animated sequence made for PR?

LIke I said, that video says me nothing.

It was cgi with a few of the models they will be using for the game thrown in. To me a bit of pointless pr that only premotes a feeling of "why"? 5000 polys seems a bit overkill for a grenade i must add, as judging by the tank and soldiers models they are quite low poly in comparison. I know its a very early vid but im also very sceptical! Will be keeping my eyes open on this though