Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

It is confirmed by Rubbergenius, comm manager at the Codies, that this teaser is actually a rendered movie, just using ingame-models. So it is simply nothing more than an appetizer by now wink_o.gif

I asked the question everyone always seens to know now about the render/models but perhaps the email from Codemasters I just received may shed some light on the situation:

Quote[/b] ]

Hi Victor!

As I mention on the video page itself:

It's rendered in-game assets - the game is still around a year from launch so there's little to show in-game at the moment, but we're pretty confident that the final game will approach this level of detail. Especially as it uses the Neon engine that's wowed people with it's use within Colin McRae DiRT this summer.

Hope this helps!

smile_o.gif

"we're pretty confident that the final game will approach this level of detail"

That's what I like to hear. smile_o.gif

They say that "Competition is Good for the End User"

Just an observation:

The clip that is floating around and Codemasters announcement is Date Aug.21,2007 and

Arma2 announcement dated Aug 22, 2007.

I wonder if the battle of our future gaming is brewing before our eyes? pistols.gif

Will it be a Race to the Consumers Shelves? icon_rolleyes.gif

Will it become a "Seven Year Itch"? wow_o.gif

(for the young ones" " is a saying to identify the average amount of time a relationship lasts)

Looks very cinematic so atm the game could be stick men for all we know... they seem tow ant to use the EA approach and make trailers that are not real footage unlike most trailers from BIS biggrin_o.gif

That's what I like to see, I like my combat sims oozing with atmosphere.

Quote[/b] ]"Set on a vast oil-rich island, located off the eastern coast of Russia, north of Japan, Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising's fiction occurs during a time of tension between Russia and Chinaover the island's disputed ownership," explains Andrew Wafer, Brand Manager for Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, at Codemasters.

"The game will open as Chinese forces launch an offensive and, referencing the title, as the dragon rises over the island, players will find themselves in a situation that is set to flare up into a flashpoint like never before."

As depicted in the trailer, soldiers, weaponry and military transportation will be authentic and realistically detailed. The game environment will be a comprehensive simulation of a real world location, densely packed to create a rich and challenging tactical environment.

Sounds interesting.

*vast oil-rich island

*tension between Russia and China

*soldiers, weaponry and military transportation will be authentic and realistically detailed

*game environment will be a comprehensive simulation of a real world location

I might actually upgrade for this game. It looks awesome

Notice the animations and sounds. Pretty well done. I don't care about graphics that much. notworthy.gif

Yeah the setting sounds good enough for me, and not only that but I assume we get to play around with US, Russian and this time Chinese goodies in the equipment department.

At least we get 3 sides as in the original.

I might actually upgrade for this game. It looks awesome

Notice the animations and sounds. Pretty well done. I don't care about graphics that much. notworthy.gif

Shame its pre-rendered then. icon_rolleyes.gif

What it does show us, is the feel and atmosphere they are obviously aiming for, as well as the general look and ambience they want to achieve.

There is noting wrong in using "concept" renders to showcase possible game play features, it’s the same as using concept art in drawings.

"Dragon Risisng" seems to imply China vs West. I like the big scale plot, but have doubts an open mass-conflict simulation can be achieved on todays PCs (especially MP).

So what you guys think:

OFP2 Vs ARMA2

wich will win?

Who cares?

This way we might end up with 2 good games instead of one.

And if one sucks, then we still have the other.

Who cares?

My sentiments exactly.  Maybe its my nature, but I'm pessimistic about both.

But hey, since when did we actually have a choice in this niche market of "military sim" PC games?

...and I certainly hope this causes both developers to bring their "A-game."

Who cares?

My sentiments exactly.  Maybe its my nature, but I'm pessimistic about both.

But hey, since when did we actually have a choice in this niche market of "military sim" PC games?

...and I certainly hope this causes both developers to bring their "A-game."

Exsactly, we can only benefit from a competition. All knows 'monopoly' ain't good (for a quality in a first place).

So yes ... fingers crossed.

All knows 'monopoly' ain't good

but what about state owned means of production? huh.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Very nice. Sounds like it's time for BIS to pull themselfs together wink_o.gif (no bashing intended).

Good interview.

Its a confirmation, they have a lot of people working at the project ATM.

Interview sounds interesting, and so does the article..

Quote[/b] ]So scheint der Kampf um das knapp 220 Quadratkilometer große Skira (eine Insel östlich der chinesischen Küste), spannend zu werden.

220km while using the same enigne as DIRT? I wonder if it has loading times inbetween.

Im happy that they are going for realism instead of just making it another FPS. smile_o.gif

I just watched the trailer again and im wondering why it shows US equipment in the trailer and at the end in the picture bits. Theres defiantly a hummer in the picture bits and the tank looks like an m1 and soldiers like US army? i though Dragon Rising was going to be China vs Russia?