Sign in to follow this  
MeNeZ

ArmA constantly crashing

Hi,

I have had this problem before and re-installing sorted it out but now its totally screwed! help.gif

It was working fine yesterday, now I turn on my pc and try join a MP map and then it crashes to desktop and I get that windows wants to send the error to microsoft message.

I uninstalled and removed all files from the directories and removed registry entries.

I installed the game and ran once. Updated the securesoft drivers & restarted. Then I applied the 1.05 patch. (I have the downloaded German version)

Now, when I try join a MP map it crashes to desktop with that error even after a fresh install. I deleted profiles and created a new one, still no success.

I also tried to create a LAN host but it crashes before I see the maplist...

I have absolutely no idea what to do next.

Anybody got any ideas?? confused_o.gif

EDIT: More info

This is the error signature:

AppName: arma.exe AppVer: 1.5.0.5136 ModName: kernel32.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0001eb33

I tried to copy the tech info from the error log but cant select the text.

EDIT: Added a bit more

I think my profile has corrupted somehow. My pc wont let me delete my profile. It says it cannot find the specified file.

So I renamed the folder to old. When I re-installed, it created a new arma profiles folder in My Docs.

BUT, It is still crashing when I try load

banghead.gif

EDIT: And some more

I uninstalled and re-installed my Nvidia graphics, audio, network & nForce drivers...still no luck

I have an AMD 3800+, Nvidia 7600GS, 2GB RAM, WINXP.

Corrupt data isn't a good sign and clearly needs to be removed before you continue. You've probably got SATA which I know nothing about but IME, IDE drives can corrupt if the PCI bus is overclocked.

Overheating can become an issue as the days get longer now (Northern hemisphere) and I'm a perfect example of that - my study has very poor ventilation and as summer

I have a thing on my game where I start to get spear-like graphical glitches coming out of players' necks. When that happens I know it's time to take the lid off my PC. If I do, it calms down; if I don't, the game eventually crashes.

F

Yeah I do have a SATA drive and to be honest I ahve had to re-install arma quite a few times.

I have re-installed after removing everything but it hasnt changed. I havent overclocked anything on my PC and all my games run pretty smooth so I dont know why I have problems all the time.

I read somewhere that there is a file in the profiles called application data which has Arma files and can be deleted...

I have searched my profiles and all the application data folders but I dont see that file.

Is it somewhere else can ANYONE help?

Try deleting the following folder of information, you might have some corrupt MP Cache:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Application Data and then delete the folder named ArmA

Then try playing again. Should hopefully make it work smile_o.gif

You can't delete the main profile on ArmA. For instance I have my PC's name as a profile automaitcally when I install the game. And a 2nd profile for my clan. I can't delete the first one but can with the second one.

And as for your other problem, perhaps a fresh XP install might do it? Bit drastic, but it'll get the job done smile_o.gif

Yeah Im thinking about it but I need somewhere to stash my data in the interrim.

I ran some reg cleaning software and some other things. It found some corrupt files and I deleted more ArmA files.

I just did a fresh install and ran the game fresh with no patches and it still crashes. crazy_o.gifpistols.gif

Is there nothing else?? anything at all lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Besides a re-install...

Rather than deleting the folder (which ArmA may require), create a new player profile by clicking on the icon at the top of the main screen.

Its NOT the profile which needs to be removed its the Application Data.

The profile shouldnt cause any issue with MP like this, if there is corrupt downloaded MP data then it can cause an issue, so this folder should be deleted so that ArmA can start MP 'as new'

I saw a mod or a dev post about this before also... (cant remember who sorry :P)

Yeah I tried creating a new profile.

The file must be corrupt because I just did a fresh install and didnt apply any patches...its a fresh crashing copy with a new profile.

I previously deleted every associated file and registry entry.

EDIT: So um, how do I get my money back hmmm?

Which file is corrupt?

And by 'every associated file' im assuming u deleted the application data which i posted about...

Profiles should be able to be deleted, then when ArmA starts up it will auto create a profile, and u can create another new one if u wish. Make sure the application data is cleared or you'll never get to MP with corrupt data.

Yeah those are the main ones in local files/appdata etc. I also deleted the profile folder and the arma folder in my my docs. I found 1 entry for BI arma in the registry.

I also deleted all cached files and temp files and I pretty much went on a cleaning spree for about half an hour going through my drive.

LoL, now that you mention it...I have been. Need more time to run a full scan. It took 25mins and was only on 14%. to be continued

Thanks to Jack, this fix worked for me

Quote[/b] ]Try deleting the following folder of information, you might have some corrupt MP Cache:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Application Data and then delete the folder named ArmA

Then try playing again. Should hopefully make it work smile_o.gif

I might add that to find this folder you need to Show Hidden Folders in XP

whistle.gif

I have no virus's (anymore) but its still crashing.

I think my most recent change was I installed the latest nvidia drivers. I also installed the latest nforce drivers. I once had problems with my BF2 and I was told by their support to get the 430/410 platform drivers.

But...its still crashing. I tried with and without the nvidia firewall/network controllers to no avail...

Any other ideas??

Its drastic.. but a reformat of your PC and reinstall of windows will probably solve the problem.. but u'll have to start afresh..

OR

You could create a new partition with a fresh install of XP and and just run the drivers and ArmA on it... it will also increase your performance as u wont have so much stuff running in the background wink_o.gif

@Stugwi: Glad u got it sorted.. im gonna stick this in my sticky if it helps people

I have no virus's (anymore) but its still crashing.

I think my most recent change was I installed the latest nvidia drivers. I also installed the latest nforce drivers. I once had problems with my BF2 and I was told by their support to get the 430/410 platform drivers.

But...its still crashing. I tried with and without the nvidia firewall/network controllers to no avail...

Any other ideas??

You might have tried this but make sure texture settings are on normal low, and turn down GFX settings to low and see if it runs stable. ARMa can toast even the best PC's and if any issue is wrong from bios to drivers to heat your PC can fall over playing ARMA.

Also if your PC had any virus or spyware and a packagae fixed it, might still be best to reinstall XP to make it more stable even fixes can bust XP.

Its drastic.. but a reformat of your PC and reinstall of windows will probably solve the problem.. but u'll have to start afresh..

OR

You could create a new partition with a fresh install of XP and and just run the drivers and ArmA on it... it will also increase your performance as u wont have so much stuff running in the background wink_o.gif

@Stugwi: Glad u got it sorted.. im gonna stick this in my sticky if it helps people

Good idea, a fresh partition just for ArmA! Should be a quick fix until I can fully re-install!

THX

Now I just need to get my hands on partition magic lol

Do you crash when playing Evolution 1.4+ maps? If so, welcome to the club smile_o.gif

I'm getting lots of CTD's when playing this map only. It's probably a bug in the mission code...

the latest version is quite bugged (of Evolution)

Rest assured Kiljoy will continue to update it and he releases regular patches/fixes

Evolution v 1.4d (and most likely e) are stable again ... at least so far

anyway if you still get crashes, check ArmA.rpt file and post crash related ending ...

I fixed it!!

I spent a bit more time on that profile I couldnt delete. Windows wouldnt let me delete it. It said the file wasnt there?

Anywau, I dowloaded PergeIE which forcefully deleted the file. I couldnt delete it any other way.

THen I re-installed ArmA and now its running fine

PEace* yay.gif