Sign in to follow this  
anders^on

US Demo Released

I'm at the commander mission, and I'm wondering if i'm doing something wrong....my teamates just won't listen to my orders...specially the moving orders and when they are into a vehicle...is this a bug or what??

Thanx

did you point to the ground around that vehical or you point at the vehical itself?

If your having gun movement problems, go to controls and slide the arrow all the way to the left on floating zone. It should solve your problem.

My performance with the demo is 10 times better than 1.5 and/or the beta. I've cranked the resolution to 1680x1050 16x9 on very high with view distance of 5-6km and have very little stutter with occasional playdough textures. This game looks amazing at this resolution. Let's hope it plays this good with the U.S. release. Now about the A.I. and bridges...

~, 1, 1 = return to formation. You may need to wait for them to re-form on you. They always know where you are, so don't worry about that, even if you move. Some formations are harder to control than others, especially when walking through the woods. I would go through the woods slowly, or move to a safe place where they can reform on you, wait for them to build the formation, then proceed out.

AHH ok thanks all....I figured out myself (the crossair icon thing)...after around 45 min...but now I enjoy that game 10 times better....I need more practice with the formations though because I have a hard time with them..also, my units doesn't seem to move when I give them seperatly moving commands

Also, you must take good care of your boys(in various formations)

if you are close to any water;..they tend to really

*take their position* in the formation you ordered.

(btw;..I have only seen this if 'disengage' is ordered..they

dont do it if 'engage at will' is in effect. Someone confirm? Cant right now)

Say, you are moving alongside an lake in wedge formation and

are too close to the water, your outermost buddies will

happily keep their position in the formation and waterthread(sp?)

thus losing their weapons! In such situation (try it out) you want

to order column or compact column formation, so they stay (close)behind you.

BUT: If say, you ordered column or Delta formation, and you

*turn* inland (close to the water) be aware, that they will reform on you

(behind in said formations) automatically, thus

again sipping from the lake and losing their weapons.

So, take good care of your stupid bastards... inlove.gifpistols.gifwhistle.gif

Oh, and while we're at it;..if you walk through an city with your buds,

they may get stuck in the scenery. You may only learn about someone

missing, if he constantly yells 'Where are you?' and is not returning to

formation, like you ordered.

Sometimes(unfortunally not always), you will be able to 'shake him loose',

if you open your map..spot his icon..press his number and click onto the

map (Move to..) in the opposite direction of where his icon is heading.

(or other directions; try)

Shortly after you see his icon moving again (if) you can order

'Fall back in formation' again;..he most likely will choose another route now

and return.

Edit: How to find out, who it is fast? 'Where are you' msg will

be given, if any soldier is ~150-200m out from you.

So, in tactical view, press '~' (selecting all soldiers) and

all their numbers and distances to you, as well as direction

from you, is displayed. Note the number of soldier (stuck),

which is farthest away. Then, open your map, press his number

and click on the map for move order.

^

I'd like to keep my buds alive throughout the mission and

retain max. firepower when needed. Call me whatever;..

but I *never* kill any of my (stupid) AI guys;..because

they saved my arse way more than once. thumbs-up.gif

Also, since it happens fairly often (city environment) I cant

be arsed to babysit everyone missing by sticking his nose

to an fence...let alone track back whos stuck where. smile_o.gif

If however I get the third 'negative' on the map-move command,

I usually let him chew on the fence and move on.

Whats sourly missing in that case is the 'shut the fuck up' command.. wink_o.gif

Edit: Not to mention, you will be shot on the spot as traitor,

if you kill your own men. goodnight.gif

Hi troop

AI do not get stuck in scenery like they did in OFP as the collision detection is so much better but just like AI in OFP the AI in ArmA do have path finding problems. If you find a spot where there is a pathing problem, report it in the bug tracker; that way it gets a chance of being fixed in a future patch. BIS cannot fix bugs they do not know about.

To the problem

Whats sourly missing in that case is the 'shut the fuck up' command.. wink_o.gif

Select the unit and use radio 1,6 (Move, Halt) They will stop saying "Where are you?" then.

The ability to take command of an AI for say about 10 seconds would be nice as a way to solve this.

I know units can set as playable in the editor but perhaps a script command or route exists hmm?

Kind Regards walker

I agree (path finding problem)

They should notice, there is some fence in the way, backup

two steps and then recalculate path out of the (usually)

enclosed area.

1,6: Yeah works. But its an chore, if you are used to order

single units around a lot (taking positions to cover you,

for example) and once the area is clear, order (all) to fall

back into formation to move to next firing position.

The problem with TeamSwitch (as defined in editor by

author of mission) is, that your complete tactic/manual

placement of AI is fubared, if you switch to unit in question

and your second-in-command immediately orders 'engage at will' banghead.gif

Ok, thats an personal problem of mine; playing style.

The new gun movement is a 'feature' because aparently u look with your head first, then move the gun.

Pretty stupid IMO.

Also they shouldnt have screwed with the choppers! they were great!

p.s thanks for the feedback on ur GFX rundll  thumbs-up.gif

instead of "ahhhhh they fuck it!! damn you" type of speaking can you post what is going wrong in detail?

i have got no time to DL and try the demo yet so its better giving a bit more detail then simply say "they fuck up"

I like you have also not downloaded the demo yet wink_o.gif dont have the time! biggrin_o.gif

and i posted earlier about the choppers, that post was mainly to respond about the aiming,

But basically ive read that:

1) Aiming is now like this: The head moves first, the gun follows, which is why people are complaining of slow gun movement.

2) Choppers seem to be 'more stable' and they seem to be piloting themselves more (sounds to me like OFP) I personally enjoy the ArmA flight model in 1.05...

Please try the demo first before commenting on it.

I adjusted the mouse settings and the very weird aiming problem reduced significantly, I think it even vanished.

Chopper is okay to fly with just a keyboard and a mouse. Gotta be careful not to make too drastic movements with the mouse and all is good. I believe that most people don't invest in proper controllers for the choppers and play with keyboard and mouse so this must be given some value in the BIS decision making process.

2) Choppers seem to be 'more stable' and they seem to be piloting themselves more (sounds to me like OFP) I personally enjoy the ArmA flight model in 1.05...

Couldn't agree more.  Without SOME skill necessary, it's just not satisfying to fly.  I would fly for the sake of simply being in the air in 1.02-1.05+, but in the demo, it's just not thrilling or challenging at all.  confused_o.gif

Feels like you're flying in a bowl of soup mounted on gas shocks.

Couldn't agree more.  Without SOME skill necessary, it's just not satisfying to fly.  I would fly for the sake of simply being in the air in 1.02-1.05+, but in the demo, it's just not thrilling or challenging at all.  confused_o.gif

Feels like you're flying in a bowl of soup mounted on gas shocks.

Totally agree. confused_o.gif I was really hoping they'd leave the choppers alone now.

Please try the demo first before commenting on it.

I adjusted the mouse settings and the very weird aiming problem reduced significantly, I think it even vanished.

Chopper is okay to fly with just a keyboard and a mouse. Gotta be careful not to make too drastic movements with the mouse and all is good. I believe that most people don't invest in proper controllers for the choppers and play with keyboard and mouse so this must be given some value in the BIS decision making process.

I said i have not tried the demo because i havent got the time/patience to download the demo. Im simply reiterating what others have said to me about the demo and the features. And it seems that some people agree with what i posted about as i love the current (1.05) flight model along with the majority of the ArmA community... i wish they hadn't 'watered' it down.. sad_o.gif

so chopper flight is:

OFPish

non-realistic

which leads to

Quote[/b] ]Top Gear talking about Audi TT

It is BORING.

BI i told you not to listen to whiners, now see what you have done crazy_o.gif  pistols.gif

j/k, but the last thing i would want to see is that they change the FM

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the way they handle the binoculars in the US demo is brilliant. It is almost instant on/off.

Finally came around to install and try US demo 1.06.5149

I must say, on my machines this is an MAJOR improvement

wrt. performance against 1.05+Beta Fullgame. For an reason...

-

I also must say, coming from 1.00, there are some 'optimizations'

to the GFX, which are (still) subtle but nevertheless; ArmA

'feels' way less detailed(maximum settings). Trend from 1.04 onward.

May I intervene? Probably not;..but please..I fully expect

ArmA to regain the full GFX detail in one year from now; once

everything is matured to handle it fully.

Do not get me wrong;..ArmA 1.06 is just beautiful at max detail

and much more performant;..but there *was* more...

I understand.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the way they handle the binoculars in the US demo is brilliant. It is almost instant on/off.

well personally i would like it to be weapons like

you choose binoculars, you take out your binoculars, then you press ironsight, you bring up the binoculars, press again you put it down, if ppl have no idea what i(or we since i share the same as others) am talking about, take a look on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , they are the closest example for our suggestions.

you choose binoculars, you take out your binoculars, then you press ironsight, you bring up the binoculars, press again you put it down, if ppl have no idea what i(or we since i share the same as others) am talking about, take a look on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. , they are the closest example for our suggestions.

I second that, it would make the laser designator better too whistle.gif .

Brilliant suggestion and it shouldn't be too difficult to do (I would think). This would allow you to walk with them in your hand and adjust your position if something is in your way, ect.

I think this was done in the WGL mod for OFP?

Not that I know of... I used to play it a lot but I don't recall anything like that.

i just finished dl the demo,

good news is, i can get most of my settings high to very high under 1024x768 and get some 40~50 FPS on all place, the stupid texture loading bug were gone for my 8800GTS and i got no LOD bug, perferemce wise i have no words to say, its looks a bit tuned down from 1.05 from what i have saw, but not to a points that you will greatly notice,

i only have played the chopper to see how bad the FM is b4 i go and get a fast 3 hours nap b4 i go to work, and here is my comment based on my 15 min experence

notice: i am no real life chopper pilot, and i didnt do that much of flying in my arm chair, the following statment is only based on my observation so might not be accrate, if you dont like it dont bitch me(and i have done enought with it and get really pissoff if it ever happen), simply put it "i think they should......" should be enought

1. mouse movement is waaaay too sensitive, reduce a bit,

2. rate of turnning is still noot too unrealistic IMO, in general i think it still like hanging just under the main roter instead of some what between the COG(closer to COG), rate of turn still not realistic enought to be easily control, way too low, what i think should have been is the turning rate increase, and the lift creat by the main roter should be taken into account, chopper more or less flys like a plane, but the lift creat by the blads should push the chopper away too

3. we still dont have enought pOweRRRRR(going up and down should be easier)

4.why i still have that stupid turn = nose drop thing?

i still dont have tme to touch the trooper part so maybe later, but first, i have to get some  goodnight.gif

Brilliant suggestion and it shouldn't be too difficult to do (I would think). This would allow you to walk with them in your hand and adjust your position if something is in your way, ect.

Oh I agree totally. The new RPGs allow you to run any distance and then bring the weapon back up to fire without having to switch back to rifle. The binoculars and laser designator should be like that, only without the "have to kneel" part.