Sign in to follow this  
iguanapl

Post-nuclear warfare in ArmA?

There was a mission for OFP called volcano ... with zombies and good climate .. maybe that helps you a bit.

I love the idea and would play it gladly smile_o.gif

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ June 05 2007,14:43)]There was a mission for OFP called volcano ... with zombies and good climate .. maybe that helps you a bit.

yep remember it, very atmospheric.

but I think this kind of shows that the whole zombie/mutant thing is already being done.

I think I'd rather a post apocalyptic MOD to not have zombies or mutants as enemy combatants but as the helpless walking wounded that are probably too sick to defend themselves. Those players with no scrupples may consider them easy target practice, after all whos going to stop them, but ammo will be so scarce that it would in fact be too costly while those who see an opportunity to help may find themselves rewarded.

And the most important one, storyline. There  are two distinct story types being mentioned within the post apocalyptic setting. Do we do the the sci-fi fallout style with mutants and meat pie floaters or do we go down a more realistic path, with people realy scratching for survival. Although the sci-fi idea will still need the 'realistic' stuff to carry it.

I don't think that storyline is the most important thing.I'm not fan of sci-fi,supermutants etc...I would rather choose realistic path (BTW Jericho is the most stupid TV show ever created...They have plenty of food,fuel for cars,no radiation and in the evenings all town go to pub for a beer and they dance  rofl.gif )

The hardest thing is to make world for such mod,missions...Like in OFP -plenty of minor addons and lack of good islands to play with them.If there will be a postnuclear world for Arma other fans will start to create minor addons for it such as weapons,cars or mutans if they want...

i also miss in arma this atmosphere of destroyed and dirty after war environment.
Vilas you could do some destroyed stuff,objects in your free time tounge2.gif

Maybe someday in Arma the bigest problem will be radiation whistle.gif

radiationcl6.jpg

(BTW Jericho is the most stupid TV show ever created...They have plenty of food,fuel for cars,no radiation and in the evenings all town go to pub for a beer and they dance  rofl.gif )

The hardest thing is to make world for such mod,missions...Like in OFP -plenty of minor addons and lack of good islands to play with them.If there will be a postnuclear world for Arma other fans will start to create minor addons for it such as weapons,cars or mutans if they want...

LOL I hope you didn't think that i thought we should make a Jericho MOD..hehe. Though your right about its stupidity but much of the time characters are also working to ensure thier supplies, and it is the only TV/movie to focus on the idea since the end of the cold war (almost a generation) Anyway Jericho is not what we're here for

Good islands are definately a must. It looks like 51km and 100km islands are now a real possibility so that means a good chance of getting enough diversity and space for a good campaign.

My wish would be an island with a few nuked cities a few war ravaged ones with maybe fortified zones and few more fortified towns as well as the deserted ones.

Areas of total desolation, dead forests etc and areas of oasis that are probably fortified/defended or very well hidden.

If I knew somone who could make islands Id try to sway him into making one as i don't think I'll be teaching myself anytime soon.(any teachers out there?)

maybe it could be far into the future where radioation is at minimal and high around the epicenter far far away.

If I knew somone who could make islands Id try to sway him into making one as i don't think I'll be teaching myself anytime soon.(any teachers out there?)

Island making is nothing hard for me.I've done few for OFP,but without editing tools for arma it's just wasting time to try make good, nice island,need to wait for the tools.

Problem is lack of objects and buildings whistle.gif Arma do not have many objects that could be used...If you want to learn something about addon making don't learn island but buildings creating   tounge2.gif

I've seen Fallout teaser...hmm 2008/09?Can't wait.Let's do something for Arma faster   tounge2.gif

Actually...

As a first step, what one COULD do is modify the south Sahrani island (once again!wink_o.gif a bit more : Ocramweb's "desert south Sahrani" is very nice (just needs to remove the last of the palm trees or replace them with dried out, dead trunks), and if something like that could be modded (with permission, of course!wink_o.gif then everyone hankering for some post-apoc feeling could have a place to play in.

Basically, using whatever nifty methods the community's figured out with hex-editing and whatever, the basic buildings could all be exchanged with burned-out ones. Now, I read somewhere that physically changing the buildings doesn't necessarily work, but what could work is simply changing the textures, yes? It won't look perfect, but if someone changed the jolly brown desert textures into grey and black, bombed-out textures (empty windows, bullet holes, burn marks etc) we'd already be far on our way. Add to that roads that look like Mad Max, traffic signs that are all beat up, and a browner, harder feel on the mountains....and I think we could have a nice post-apoc/Fallout/Mad Max feel to the whole place!

If we'd simply have the above mods to a deserty kind of island (preferably something good-looking like Ocramweb's, or McNool [although McNool's is a bit too green for post-apoc ^^]), then the editors could add the fluff themselves : car wrecks, ruins, thick fog, sound effects etc.

Anyone who's been messing around with an editor upgrade (to get all the buildings etc) will have noticed the vast amount of "ruins" available. Some of these are the burnt out buildings found here and there, most are the small piles of rubble left after most buildings collapse. Try making a thick carpet of the rubble followed by occassional instances of burnt-out building, and then design it into a cityscape, and you've got a pretty nice destroyed city. Put into a city modded like suggested above, and we could have Paraiso-sized post-apoc cities. Now add some fires, make it night-time, add some fog, download some Mark Morgan, and shazam. Fallout. xmas_o.gif (sort of).

Ah well, I guess I'm just dreaming. Maybe I should learn how to mod.... smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug

Yeah I know how to edit islands but I don't like it.If you have to do something do I all by yourself.And number of destroyed building is little in arma and they do not give apocaliptic feeling.

But postapocaliptic world doesn't need to be desert.Earth can be under the snow because lack of sun caused by dust clouds made by the A bombs explosions...

conceptburzanapisyuh4.jpg

Problem is lack of objects and buildings whistle.gif Arma do not have many objects that could be used...If you want to learn something about addon making don't learn island but buildings creating   tounge2.gif

I've seen Fallout teaser...hmm 2008/09?Can't wait.Let's do something for Arma faster   tounge2.gif

I'll take that onboard. I think I'll start with some larger multi-story ruins and the rather large piles of rubble that they leave

Quote[/b] ]Wolfrng-

Basically, using whatever nifty methods the community's figured out with hex-editing and whatever, the basic buildings could all be exchanged with burned-out ones........

could be a short cut for some buildings, and it helps cover the fact that not every war torn building is a pile of rubble. Also should maintain a sense of consistancy with the current BIS objects wich would make them good outside this particular MOD as well.

Quote[/b] ]Wolfrug-

Ah well, I guess I'm just dreaming. Maybe I should learn how to mod....  

correction, you want to learn how to make addons, or in this case texture and hexedit  wink_o.gif. My suggestion would be to keep the original BIS colors/style in mind. Atleast then if we don't get enough work together to take this MOD on seriously your effort will still be relevant to the game and possibly other MODS

Rightoh. Well, I'm a working slave right now so my time is limited, but I'll try to pick up some stuff on how to hex-edit things.

Wonder if Adobe Photoshop 7.0 is good enough to edit textures with... huh.gif

Ah well. Will be an interesting experiment if nothing else!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Ah well. Will be an interesting experiment if nothing else!

Maybe when tools will be released and I will have some free time then I we can think about using your objects whistle.gif

Hey iguanapl

Is it practicle or even possible to make ruined buildings with underground car parks, and create depressions in the land mass in wich the building is placed?

Toying with some building ideas at he mo' and thought it could be fitting where the concrete towers have been blasted down to the super structure, and the basements are the only places of refuge left?

How about this idea:

You start at the point where Snake Plissken has pushed the button, and everything went back to dark age and at the similair time nukes explode and you start playing as Snake Plissken pistols.gif the rest is up to you guys

Call me Snake

U can use STALKER as a referenc. The post nuclear atmosfer, the zone, destroyed bildings and hardver. It would bee cool. And yes olveys the damn tools. Bis lett the tols soo peapol cann make cool staff.

Somebody HAS to model the V8 Interceptor, otherwise I won't play!

V8 Interceptor

hehe,

nice pics.

I've already started modeling a XA coupe wich is what the Mad Max intercptor is based on. The plan was to do the XA, and XB four door versions as well for the yellow pursuit, and yellow interceptor versions.

But these are going to be a long way off if ever.Before I go much further, my brother is rebuilding an original XA coupe and I want to get some real details and measurements.

Also they're not high on the list as I have other projects and don't see a whole lot of use for them yet. Though a MAD MAX universe could be interesting. It would be pretty much as we've discussed so far, with weapons and vehicles from no later than say 1975.

bps2jq2.jpg

nener.gif

But it's only a high poly WIP for now. No plans for ArmA. Plus the render I'm showing is kinda old.

Still having problems with something Max does when I crank up turbosmooth.

Nice one Mehman.

my version is still 'factory floor' but I can leave it that way now and maybe give people something else to drive.

hmm, anyone up for doing the 'Nightriders' Holden Monaro?

edit:

By 'Nightrider' I'm not refering to anything that has anything to do with the 'Hoff'.

I probably wouldn't have started this if it wasn't for this thread so I though this was a good excuse to bump it.

Got a little vid of a WIP versionof a Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical bunker.

I realize it's probably not the most realistic representation of what a NBC bunker would be like but my modeling experience and the game engine are limiting.

Besides my reasearch on the topic told me little except that most nbc bunkers are small and many are converted mine projects or missile silos, beyond that it was conspiracy theories abound.

I'm thinking of also making a russian style aircraft bunker and an nbc bunker/misslie silo. But thier usefullness is kind of limited as they may tend to look awkward unless on an island sculpted specificaly for them.

So heres the vid.

Textures are just place holder and you will spot some bugs some of wich have probably already been taken care of.

ALL sugestions and coments welcome

Very VERY nice.

I looking foward to play in it.

Maybe capturing the place from enemy forces or hold it from the hordes of zombies and mutants! pistols.gif

Nice bunker system! The geometry is nice enough for the purpose of the bunker, but I think you should start with the textures & uvmapping in time, with normalmapped textures it will probably look quite cool!

I think it could be a quite nice mod for Armed Assault, but i think you need to flesh out the concept some more and start recruiting people.

Things to decide:

What type of apocalypse has occured: Virus pandemic, zombies, nuclear war or just conventional war?

Timeframe: Alternate reality, near future or far future?

High or low scifi grade: Only humans with old weapons, or supermutants, lasers and powerarmours?

Scope and focus: Epic SP campaign or more CTI styled co-op MP. I think both would work.

In fact a scenario like this could probably work great as a Dynamic SP campaign type mission, with random tasks and open-ended gameplay.

A new island is pretty much a must if you want to do nuclear apocalypse type scenario, but new resourses wouldn't be too hard to construct. Other than that you can get a long way just by doing reskins i think.

I like the idea of being a lone soldier trying to make your way through enemy territory, finding fuel, weapons and so on, perhaps recruiting locals a lá Resistance.

I can model pretty well, but only in Max or Maya, i find O2 pretty awkward, (I study game development - graphics, starting my third year now) so i could contribute, but I'd like to flesh out some details first. PM me if you want with a msn adress and we can talk smile_o.gif

I'm feeling like modeling a power armour guy, if that is decided to be what we want? Also, NBC equipped soldiers rule smile_o.gif

Personally, I'd like to make a near-future mod of a warzone gone wrong with both sides having employed NBC weapons and stranded troops (ASAT weapons and nukes having knocked out infrastructure and communications) of both sides fighting it out with locals in the middle just trying to survive.

In my opinion there has to be be two kinds:

One "normal": People with old guns without electronics and trying to survive while some religious groups, bandits, crazy people, and old countries whicho want to maintain their rule or gain power while they fight with other groups like them.

Perhaps it is very difficult to do somehing that allows the player to decide that group to integrate. (This badly written, pardon sad_o.gif )

And other where he has to fight with the same groups but also with some mutants and zombies and crazy things like that.