Sign in to follow this  
scortech

mouse moving the weapon

I've played fps since the start and missed OFP. I come to ArmA with the floating zone and loved it from the start. I can't see any problem with it and I had no sense of having to get used to it. It's realistic so it's cool.

In the ideal ArmA the game would ship without ANY controls or options set and it wouldn't let you play the game until you set every setting and bound every key.

It would prevent a lot of people not knowing the settings or having them set wrong. Also it would prevent a lot of "what key does this?" Additionally people would actually know a lot of features of the game by seeing that there is a keybind for it.

And the game would be better off without the people too dimwitted to set their controls :P

Using the floating zone makes it a lot easier to spot any movement on a still picture, while moving your aim at the same time!

My advice is to adjust, it's a brilliant feature and is far more realistic than the "sticky tape your gun to your head" style aiming.

If you mean the 'drag'/'delay' or whatever, set 'flip queu size' (Ati) or 'Render frames ahead' (Nvidia, classic control panel, only accessible in XP) to 0. If it still doesnt work, force vsync off.

Blame the person who thought that 3 as a default value was good. tounge2.gif

EDIT: How many times have i posted this? 1132 or 1133 times?  yay.gif

Can you tell me where can I find the setting for changing the flip queue size in an ATI? I coun't find it in the Cathalist control center anywhere.

Im not sure, just google for ATI tray tools and in your taskbar, "right click->3d->flip queue size->0" smile_o.gif

(Setting it to 1 can give a nice FPS boost compared to 0 with minimal 'mouse-lag'wink_o.gif

It's hard to tell what exactly you are talking about. If you mean the floating zone, go into your control options and move the slider all the way to the left.

I don't see what's so bad about it, I like it on.

I think this floating option is nice, though at start i tought it was anoying.

Now i changed my opinion about it. I now use it alot when in prone position in a corner of a house.

By using This floating On you are able to hide more then without it. If you don't use it your entire body is more exposed for incoming bullets.

You can also use it with floating Off but then you need to cover your body and use the the key "V" (weapon view), you will move your aim but not your body.

Have a try if you have not tryed it. I think its a very nice Feature BIS put. smile_o.gif

BIS better read this and take notice. Alot of the complaints about lag and other user problems are related to the floating zone on the mouse. The original verison (I own German version) 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc did not even have a setting for the floating zone to adjust. When the UK version released it finally had he option.

I just wish people and BIS would realise that this setting makes this game feel different for most people. They cant quite figure out what wrong but the game just feels funny to them.

I myself like a little bit of the floating zone but not as much as the default BIS setting is. If they would just lower the default setting more people wouldnt just give up on arma. When they see/feel this mouse lag, they either think it their computer is lagging(hardware), or they think the game is just wacked.

I have played OFP since 2001 and the floating zone in that game was not as bad as Arma. Add in that alot of peoples pc's arent up to spec's and the floating zone and it makes the players feel like there is something wrong.

BIS PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS AND LOWER THE DEFAULT SETTING FOR THE US RELEASE(DEMO WOULD HELP TOO) OR YOU WILL LOSE ALOT OF POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS WHO THINK THIS GAME IS SCREWED

The first thing I adjusted when I got the game (german version) was turn the floating zone higher, so I don't know how you came with the idea that it was introduced with 1.04 but that's just not true.

And the ones who don't like the feel of ArmA and go away, well that's just their problem, if you are not even going to try and search to find out what this is. The floating zone is pretty easy to find and with a bit of experimenting you'll know pretty easy what it does.

It's great BIS put in the slider because everyone likes it a bit different, I did not max it I have it on 80% or something like that.

But I say BIS did a nothing wrong with the settings, you MUST learn to play THIS game, it's not like any other shooter.

I have the slider "maxed out". It's great like that. It extends

and complements the more realistic character movement that

is unique to ArmA. Other games give the impression that you

are steering a rifle through the world. Arma gives the unique

(as far as I am aware) impression that it's an object that you

are actually carrying and pointing.

Edit for spelling (been reading too many damn forum posts wink_o.gif )

I use the settings on default.. I have a concern, though, about this. You can pull the setting down to zero, then the rifle locks to the centre of your viewport (except on the y axis), and you don't get any of the feeling of weight anymore, and there is nolonger the same lag. This would give an inherent advantage to using the view locked. I think they should lock the view cursor to the centre but still have the rifle floating around behind it.

Col. Faulkner got it right.

I usually go for max settings. Full floating works very well for grenadiers. The ability to fix your POV on the target and raise and lower your weapon independently make it much easier to loop grenades down range with precision. Full float also seems to promote using sights and stationary positions, instead of running around shooting on the move.

BiS decided to go for a more realistic weapons handling, instead of the popular "crosshair attached to head" sollution all action shooters use. BiS also decided to add a slider, so player can disable the feature. That ought to be enough. Don't like it disable it, but you got to give it a chance and try to understand it first. Disabling floating on default would be admitting it's defeat.

I use the settings on default..  I have a concern, though, about this.  You can pull the setting down to zero, then the rifle locks to the centre of your viewport (except on the y axis), and you don't get any of the feeling of weight anymore, and there is nolonger the same lag.  This would give an inherent advantage to using the view locked.  I think they should lock the view cursor to the centre but still have the rifle floating around behind it.

I think the advantage of setting the floatzone to 0 is negligable. It would probably be an advantage if this was counterstrike, due to the fast paced close combat, but in ArmA it's no issue, because most firefights are over much longer distances.

I use the settings on default.. I have a concern, though, about this. You can pull the setting down to zero, then the rifle locks to the centre of your viewport (except on the y axis), and you don't get any of the feeling of weight anymore, and there is nolonger the same lag. This would give an inherent advantage to using the view locked. I think they should lock the view cursor to the centre but still have the rifle floating around behind it.

I think the advantage of setting the floatzone to 0 is negligable. It would probably be an advantage if this was counterstrike, due to the fast paced close combat, but in ArmA it's no issue, because most firefights are over much longer distances.

Maybe the CTF guys would disagree with you. I'm not a CTF guy and I disagree with you. I've been in some pretty hairy situations in ArmA, and not having to wait for the weapon to catch up is a huge boon. I've had many chance encounters around corners in this game, and if one player has an edge, then they all should or none of them should.

I did not notice the floating zone setting until I used my german CD key to load the UK version my cousin bought. I did this so I could play the new UK version 1.04 while all the CZ and german version were still stuck at 1.03. I never noticed the setting for the floating zone before that. Maybe thats because I speak english and had been playing the german version so I guess I just overlooked it.

I will say again that I like the floating zone myself...just not too high. I am an OFP'er since the demo I got in my PC gamer magazine before the game was even releases. So I am major OFP old school veteran.

But the problem I see is the new people, who never played this series before. No other FPS game on the planet handles the mouse control like this game. So the newcomers coming from CS, BF, JO, etc., etc. have no idea WTF is going on. They think the game is bugged. So either they dont buy it or if they already bought it they stop playing it.

Dont you see that the mouse floating zone is misunderstood by them as either lag or a bug. Read all the complaints on this forum. I believe a good number can be attributed to this floating zone setting. So then these players give up, it hurts game sales and it hurts all of our multiplayer experinces when they arent on the servers to play with us because they gave up on what they thought was lag or a bug.

Now as another person already said (he obviously understands what im saying) that BIS could by default leave it off or very low so the new users (not the vets like us) wont leave the game alone for the above mentioned reasons. Heck if BIS just renamed the setting to Mouse floating zone or something than maybe more people would find the setting and have a good Arma experince (just like the thread starter who found the setting with our help).

I am only stating any of this so that the newcomers will stay with us and enjoy this wonderful game called Arma! biggrin_o.gif

I totally disagree. Disabling everything arcade shooters needs to learn would be a kneefall to the arcade genere. ArmA has a learning curve, so has Counterstrike. You need experience to master and dominate both games, but they are diffrent.

I did not notice the floating zone setting until I used my german CD key to load the UK version my cousin bought. I did this so I could play the new UK version 1.04 while all the CZ and german version were still stuck at 1.03. I never noticed the setting for the floating zone before that. Maybe thats because I speak english and had been playing the german version so I guess I just overlooked it.

I will say again that I like the floating zone myself...just not too high. I am an OFP'er since the demo I got in my PC gamer magazine before the game was even releases. So I am major OFP old school veteran.

But the problem I see is the new people, who never played this series before. No other FPS game on the planet handles the mouse control like this game. So the newcomers coming from CS, BF, JO, etc., etc. have no idea WTF is going on. They think the game is bugged. So either they dont buy it or if they already bought it they stop playing it.

Dont you see that the mouse floating zone is misunderstood by them as either lag or a bug. Read all the complaints on this forum. I believe a good number can be attributed to this floating zone setting. So then these players give up, it hurts game sales and it hurts all of our multiplayer experinces when they arent on the servers to play with us because they gave up on what they thought was lag or a bug.

Now as another person already said (he obviously understands what im saying) that BIS could by default leave it off or very low so the new users (not the vets like us) wont leave the game alone for the above mentioned reasons. Heck if BIS just renamed the setting to Mouse floating zone or something than maybe more people would find the setting and have a good Arma experince (just like the thread starter who found the setting with our help).

I am  only stating any of this so that the newcomers will stay with us and enjoy this wonderful game called Arma! biggrin_o.gif

quoted for the truth, matey!  notworthy.gif

our squad used to play joint operations: reality mod, so most of us were confused about the gun movement in arma. but thanks to this thread i could make a post in our forums explaining that issue. me and a few others switched back to the arcadish floating zone while some others like the floating zone.

nevertheless, bis need to make people aware of this feature because other squads or players won't be that patient with arma, and leave it for good because of the strange aiming movements. this is a HUGE difference to other fps, thus, many new players are confused and give up after a while. and i'm sure not all newbies will read this thread. so bis should either change the default setting to zero, or promote this feature more openly.

Well I really don't remember having any complain the first time I played OFP with this new movement system. Now I think that for CQB it is a little annoying and can get you killed, but for open enviroments - the ones where OFP/ArmA really shines- it's plain genius, you really feel you're carrying a weapon around, plus the gear. Oh, and that you have a head biggrin_o.gif

Well I really don't remember having any complain the first time I played OFP with this new movement system. Now I think that for CQB it is a little annoying and can get you killed, but for open enviroments - the ones where OFP/ArmA really shines- it's plain genius, you really feel you're carrying a weapon around, plus the gear. Oh, and that you have a head biggrin_o.gif

I know it's $140, and not an out-of-the-box solution, but TrackIR4 is awesome- and eliminates the issues of floating zone and CQB.  One of my buds picked it up and I'm jealous as hell, had the cash to pick one up months ago but needed to repair my car.. Shoulda junked the car and got the IR4.  Saving my change and pop cans for this one.  In the hour I played with it, I felt like I had a head and arms as no other FPS I've experienced.  The float zone actually amplifies the sensation.

I like the floating zone from the hip and only hip, ie. the way it was in OFP where unsighted you had it, then when you aimed down the sights the gun stayed centered.

Having the floating zone apply to aiming down the sights is just clunky and unrealistic in my opinion.

I tend to think games should have loads of options. Nothing is more infuriating than wanting a small, simple change to a game but not having the option to do so. Armed Assault gives lots of options, and does fairly well, in my opinion. thumbs-up.gif

But equally important are the defaults. If a game has loads of options, it should have pretty intiuative defaults. Again, Armed Assault overall does well here, but there's room for improvement.

There's no worse feeling when you're trying to introduce someone to Armed Assault and they pick up on minor things -- things like the floating crosshair. Because these relatively minor things are in-your-face, they fuss over them, and never get to see all the "deeper" aspects about ArmA you know they'd certainly love. That's why I agree with the several posters who think the default setting should be for 0% floating cursor.

Sure, for every person who fusses over something minor and drops the game there is a person who'll stick it out (or find the options to change things) and end up loving it. But Armed Assault cannot afford to lose any potential player, it simply isn't "mainstream" enough. If people aren't going to play the game, let them do it once they have a deeper understanding of it, not because they're turned off straight away by trivial things.

Anyway, if we're talking about things that make Armed Assault look bad to newcomers, I think the dodgy single-player campaign has a lot more of a negative impact than the floating cursor. But that's a totally different topic... whistle.gif

even i got TIR now i still have my floating zone set to 50%

i feel like i have my head, my upper body, and my arm moving in game

I find it hilarious that people might be confused by the floating zone, or that they'll think it's a lag bug thing.

I like the idea of the game coming with all keys unbound. First thing I do with every fps I get is to delete all the bindings. It's tedious to assign something and have the game say 'that key is already in use' whilst I'm setting it up.

The floating zone bonds so well with ArmA's freelook. Whether you have TrackerIR or not, using freelook makes a distinguishing difference from all other shooters. Your viewpoint is connected to a real virtual body. Your weapon is held by virtual arms and act accordingly. I don't think BiS should hide the floating feature in shame, because people quit before they take a look at their settings. It's defenently the wrong attitude for a game that claims to be a simulator.

Simulators have learning curves, but if you refuse to explore the settings or demand everything is the mere basics on default, loads of people are going to miss exactly those features BiS wanted to impliment in their game.

Sure you can play ArmA with the basic WASD keys, but you're going to have a very poor experience if you approach ArmA like a regular shooter.

I don't know how people confuse a feature with a bug. Free floating is not mouse lag. The weapon moves acording to mouse movement, it's just not cyborneticly attachet to your retina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24Ix986UCs

Again: ArmA is a sim, you gotta make an effort. Even a small one is enough.

I agree.

Whiners: People, learn about your games before you moan about 'em!

It's a very nice feature, I can't live (In OFP, ArmA doesnt do so well on my PC) without it!

Had this in the wrong topic...

*paste*

The only thing that bugs me about the current control system (and is the center issue of the 'crisp control gang' ) is that currently you move a point on the screen and your avatar slews the weapon to it. That's what is so difficult about aiming, when you stop (where ever that is, when the HUD is not present), your weapon continues to the point the mouse stopped at. Feels a bit like you're moving someone else by rubber bands.

[sarcasm] *brilliance! absolutely brilliant idea!*

Swap the driving and aiming styles! Driving needs a point to drive to that does not halt upon the stoppage of the mouse, but the aiming does! tounge2.gif

[/sarcasm]

It may hold some merit, but I also fear what it would do to the gameplay. confused_o.gif

hey guys I think your missing my point. I'm not debating the validity of using one method over another, floating on and floating off both have their benefits and disadvantages my point was ArmA is not a popular game mainly because people download the demo dont like the feel of it (because they're so used to a fixed recticle system) delete and never try it again. IMHO the floating should be set to a much smaller value than the current default (or even zero) and labled much better that way those who wish to use it can easily find it and increase it, this way less people will be turned off the game instantly and can only increase the popularity of the game, which Im sure we'd all like to see.....

so lets just remember FIRST IMPRESSIONS GO A LONG WAY