Sign in to follow this  
general

Disengage you stupid buggers!!!

I guess at least a handful have noticed that AI wont obey you when you tell them to disengage. This bugs me out. There is no way you can have a proper defense without having all the AI running out into no man's land and getting shot. Disengage means, if I've got it right, that one should stay in the formation and not try to find a "good" spot to open fire at the enemy from. A very good example of this is the third mission in 'The Cause' series where 2/3 of the defense runs out into enemy fire yay.gif

I will fraps an example.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me the only time they will engage like that is when you have them set to "Engage at will". Otherwise, they should ( or at least they always do for me) stay still and only fire at targets that come to them.

I have the exact opposite problem from you, quite often I'll forget to tell them to engage at will, and they just stand there, not trying to get a good shot on the enemy.

try "all/don't fire", or "all/no target"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv5zbVypGSc

There we go, you clearly hear the leader issue the order "disengage" and then 5 seconds later you hear "5, engaging".

Don't go on and tell me it's a feature cuz when I tell my AI to disengage I want them to disengage. And then we have that guy on the hill.... what the hell is he doing crazy_o.gif ?

@b1sh0p

The AI wont engage when set to disengage and you are the leader. But the problem is really defensive missions where you AI lined up to hold a position. It looks pretty sad when half of them are running into the enemy.

@dob

Yeah but I'm not their leader and there is no problem when I'm the leader (I think)

It is funny AI doesn't have any problem with killing the leader if he orders them (target - leader) - split second decision smile_o.gif

Eh, what? The AI in that clip is obeying an order to engage.

Quote[/b] ]Leader: All Disengage

Leader: Contact

Leader: 5, Engage that man

You: Twelve o'clock, enemy man, at 200 meters

5: Engaging

AI engaging when you will aim target

3-6 (disengage command) not works

AI go to die and you will loose all squad

i also found anothr bug - when you use Y or (i forget letter) to switch between playable units they stop following teamleader

for exapmle - i am leader, i swich to guy number 2 i move few steps i switch to guy 3 and few steps

than i turn to guy 1 - officer and "all return to formation" and nothing happens , they stay where they have been, sometimes go to position not works too :/

The AI wont engage when set to disengage and you are the leader. But the problem is really defensive missions where you AI lined up to hold a position. It looks pretty sad when half of them are running into the enemy.

This might not be because of engage, but for reason that they don't like to stay in formation when hostiles are met. Here couple suggestions:

'dostop this; this enableattack false' typed to every guys init-field. Should do the trick... Or just ungroup them all.

Try 'stealth'-behaviour, 'engage-at-will'-combatmode combined 'this enableattack false' and they seek cover from known enemies, but don't engage. This is super when there's enough cover infront of them (expacely forrests), but by my experience really doesn't work in hill-positions as they run down-hill searching for cover and eventually they get shot.

In OFP i've run to enemy platoon's ambush and i didn't see any of them from even 50 meters, just "bang!" and i was dead! Sometimes they take really good positions and sometimes not so good. But i'm not sure do they work same in ArmA (somehow i have feeling that they perform differently, i haven't observed it thou), but i suggest you to try it.

Eh, what? The AI in that clip is obeying an order to engage.
Quote[/b] ]Leader: All Disengage

Leader: Contact

Leader: 5, Engage that man

You: Twelve o'clock, enemy man, at 200 meters

5: Engaging

there was 2 waypoints for each squad.

1: Open fire, Engage at will

2: Open fire

just to really show that the leader says: Disengage

But as you see this doesn't work and a few seconds later he orders the AI to engage. If I want the squad to engage I'll set the waypoint to engage at will. But in this case it's set to disengage. They really shouldn't engage. What's the points with the combat behaviors if the squad leader disobeys the command given from them anyway?

@Second

Well even if the leader don't like the situation he shouldn't order the rest of the squad to engage as the AI clearly can't judge the situation as well as they should. I'll try those commands tough smile_o.gif

try "all/don't fire", or "all/no target"

OT - Is your signature a ArmA remake of the orignal OFP mission where you have to stop the East from landing from the Official Missions?

I always thought that 'disengage' ment 'stop engaging whatever you are currently engaging'. huh.gif

Quote[/b] ]If I want the squad to engage I'll set the waypoint to engage at will. But in this case it's set to disengage. They really shouldn't engage. What's the points with the combat behaviors if the squad leader disobeys the command given from them anyway?

Open fire WP sets the group into the default state, the leader will order his men to flank, engage etc as he sees fits the situation.

Open fire, engage at will WP means that his men are set to "engage at will", also known as "commit suicide by enemy fire".

If you want the men to stay put, you can use something like:

{doStop _x}forEach units group this;

Quote[/b] ]If I want the squad to engage I'll set the waypoint to engage at will. But in this case it's set to disengage. They really shouldn't engage. What's the points with the combat behaviors if the squad leader disobeys the command given from them anyway?

Open fire WP sets the group into the default state, the leader will order his men to flank, engage etc as he sees fits the situation.

Open fire, engage at will WP means that his men are set to "engage at will", also known as "commit suicide by enemy fire".

If you want the men to stay put, you can use something like:

{doStop _x}forEach units group this;

ok smile_o.gif as long as it's reversible.

AI engaging when you will aim target

3-6 (disengage command) not works

AI go to die and you will loose all squad

i also found anothr bug - when you use Y or (i forget letter) to switch between playable units they stop following teamleader

for exapmle - i am leader, i swich to guy number 2 i move few steps i switch to guy 3 and few steps

than i turn to guy 1 - officer and "all return to formation" and nothing happens , they stay where they have been, sometimes go to position not works too :/

The Team Switch is Nothing more than an extra life, it doesnt allow you to switch between team members and then back again and then command the previous troops! I thought it was a bug at first as i had bought the earlier released Czech Version but after putting it on bug tracker i got a reply from BIS saying " It was the best option and the best solution" huh.gif?? yeah right, play Ghost Recon it works well in that.

Hope that helps you out with that....

Someone should really make a tactical guide of how plan AI's waypoints (+ using triggers etc).... What different easy ways there are to adjust AI's behaviour/tactic to way missiondesigner wants. This is basic stuff, but to this day i haven't noticed any guides for that. There are plenty of scripting guides but none tactical guide (to my knowledge)... And ArmA is focused on combat!

EDIT: Oh! My bad english is preventing me from doing it... icon_rolleyes.gif