Sign in to follow this  
MAA3057

ACU Problems...?

I never understood why the hell does the US Army want a camouflage that supposedly works in all enviroments, when it is not possible unless it changes it's pattern and colours like a chameleon. What's wrong with, say, old good Woodland and 3-Color Desert? Sure you could update them with some pixels to meet today's standards, but after all, for woodland terrain, you want a green suit and for desert you want a khaki one. (Not neccessarily meaning one-coloured suits with this)

MARPAT seems quite good in my experience though, and Multicam ain't that bad either. Wouldn't have believed it'd blend in a pine forest, but it did. Not as well as, say, Russian Flora which is designed for a pine forest but well enough neverthless.

I never understood why the hell does the US Army want a camouflage that supposedly works in all enviroments, when it is not possible unless it changes it's pattern and colours like a chameleon. What's wrong with, say, old good Woodland and 3-Color Desert? Sure you could update them with some pixels to meet today's standards, but after all, for woodland terrain, you want a green suit and for desert you want a khaki one. (Not neccessarily meaning one-coloured suits with this)

1. Costs, one type of uniform is cheaper.

2. Identity.

It basically took the disciplinary responsibilities like, "Ironing, and cleaning" away from our soldiers, by supplying this uniform. It seems as though our soldiers don't want to shine their boots to look fancy or have to iron their uniforms to sharpen the creases.

...just like our DPUs. It kicks ass not having to shine boots (unless you're wearing dress uniform, but that's a different matter).

It all lacks discipline of having that responsibility. Our Army doesnt even train as hard anymore.

Meanwhile, I doubt the removal of the tedious and time consuming processes of having to polish boots up has compromised the training ability of the US Army. You'd think it would give them more time to be what really counts - better fighters and leaders, right?

Exactly. I'd say that thanks to a lot these enhancements brings convenience which in turn allows us not to concentrate on whats on our backs, but what our rifles are pointing at. I bet they had to shine like crazy in Iraq with the black combat boots. All this aside, i'm pretty sure you think Americans were hard fighters in the civil/revolutionary war back in the day as compared to WWII/OIFII. Maybe you'd like them to go back to wool uniforms in desert heat along with 120 pound packs and lead balls for bullets, aye? Maybe we should do away with the UGVs and inspect the bombs ourselves.  thumbs-up.gif

You're right, it does add alot of convenience. And it does take useless time up, However, in some ways it takes away responsibilities. And if you think our (US) Army trains as hard as it ever has... talk to a veteran from any time period before the Gulf War, please.. please, just do it.

I was always under the impression that the purpose of black boots was discipline and wasn't nearly as enforced in a combat zone if you had dirt on them.

Thats crap, "I'm only good at field stuff, thats what really counts." A good soldier is good at EVERYTHING. When it comes to the field, unblouse them boots, wear the kit that works for you. So long as it is issued, or atleast you can still be identified by fellow soldiers. I'm talking load bearing kit mostly. When it comes to garrison you should look sharp as a needle. I hate soldiers who don't seem to care about shining there boots or looking sharp on parade/garrison.

ACU not also is a shiit camouflage, its shit quality, they fall apart easily, and the velcro needs to be replaced all the time. It also stains, regardless of how you wash it. That won't look good for garrison now will it.

Thats crap, "I'm only good at field stuff, thats what really counts." A good soldier is good at EVERYTHING. When it comes to the field, unblouse them boots, wear the kit that works for you. So long as it is issued, or atleast you can still be identified by fellow soldiers. I'm talking load bearing kit mostly. When it comes to garrison you should look sharp as a needle. I hate soldiers who don't seem to care about shining there boots or looking sharp on parade/garrison.

ACU not also is a shiit camouflage, its shit quality, they fall apart easily, and the velcro needs to be replaced all the time. It also stains, regardless of how you wash it. That won't look good for garrison now will it.

BS. If I want to look good and throw on a dog and pony show it's either Class A's, Class B's, or Dress Blues. Utility uniform..no way. It was probably just the unit I "grew up" in, so to speak, but even back when we still wore BDU's the standard was clean wash and wear uniform, and the boots are black. If someone wanted to do more, then more power to them, but that was the standard. If you interact with the public on a daily basis or are actually conducting some kind of parade field activities it's one thing, but in your average infantry unit you spend your garrison time doing landscaping, barracks improvement activities, field craft training, and vehicle/weapon maintenance (god help the idiot that shows up with spit and starches and finds out he has to spend the day breaking track) with a bunch of people who could really care less what you look like. As a daily work uniform "spits and starches" are stupid. lol...that reminds me, I actually had a squad leader who, the day he took over the squad, showed up in cook white BDU's that he had pulled out a duffel bag that morning...his entire change of leadership "counseling" was, "If you ever look better than me, I'm gonna kick your ass. That is all.".

That being said, I do agree with the ACU's being just an overly crappy uniform. They have, mostly, fixed the stitching issues. I have yet to tear the crotch out of a newly issued set yet, so that's a good sign. And velcro does, indeed, suck.

the only thing I enjoy about the ACU uniform is not shining boots or pressing my uniform.

Maybe it's different being in an Airborne unit where your sole judge of performance was the shine quality of your boots, but I quickjly got sick of it.

As for Crye, I purchased my first sets of ACUs and felt the damage to my wallet most heavily. Hopefully if they change to Crye the Army considers issuing it to me first.