Sign in to follow this  
stabiz

Realtek users: New codec = better performance

Downloaded the new High Definition Audio codec from realtek (not all Realtek-mobos uses this) and ArmA and other games run better now. Fluent ArmA, yey!

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Thanks for info (i already noticed that previous realtek HD driver fixed lot of issues with other games)

let's hope soon same great thing happen to these with ADI onboard soundcards ..

MODedit : btw. i move this into Troubleshooting

Hi all

Dito

Swamped at a guess

I reported it to their webmaster

Kind Regard walker

hi stabiz

what do you mean 'run better'?

I have a realtek onboard sound setup and every time i install realtek drivers my machine becomes unstable and crashes randomly. (not linked with Arma)

I have reverted to using the standard windows sound drivers in Vista Ultimate 32, and to be honest they work a charm, no stability issues and they sound great.

So i guess im asking what benefits there might be to risk upgrading to these new realtek drivers?

My only complaint with ArmA is the damn LOD problem after the beta patch, it sucks waiting a second or so for textures to catch up after changing views.

many thanks

Kiwi

x2 4600

8800 GTS

Vista Ultimate 32

2 Gig Ram

I mean higher fps, and less spikes when in bushy areas. I have so far never seen less than 19fps (used to see 12ish)when aiming at bushes and trees at aimpoint, and it just feels more fluent.

This is with all settings at very high except shadows and post process on low.

I love this! Very much playable now, even in hot spots.

PS: Realtek and Vista are not very good friends, according to another forum I visit.

PS2: I use the beta patch.

Hi [CAVE]guerilla

Sound uses CPU cycles like anything else. And certain sounds have to complete before the next frame can occur, explosion sounds, gun sounds etc are all linked to a graphic equivalent. A simulation would not be very good if the sound was rendered five minutes after you got shot now would it. So you can see sound is an FPS significant issue. Certain sounds have to renderered sychronous to graphics.

I would estimate 90% of so called FPS issues and CTDs that are reported as being graphics are in fact sound. Peoples experience of low FPS in trees and bushes in ArmA is often realy a sound issue not graphic issue. People say they see an FPS drop but ask them if the experience crackling, poping and jeky sound at the same time they see an FPS drop. But for humans sight is the most important sense so they think that is the problem.

The RealTek AC97 driver bug has been the biggest issue people are having in ArmA yes even bigger than 8800 fog.

Even when you tell people it is a sound problem they won't believe you because they can "SEE" the problem. Their brain goes dead and they forget to listen. It is called an assumption, it is what makes an ass of you.

Certainly sound deadening and possibly reflection from objects is calculated in ArmA as part of the simulation. You may notice in ArmA that if a helicopter goes behind a hill you can no longer hear it. This is what happens in reality as well as in ArmA.

Many people do no know they have an RealTek AC97 mobo/on-board sound card as well as their fancy slot card they actually use. Or if they do know the have it are not aware it is still running. Just because you plug your speakers into the jack plug of your PCI or XFI slot card does not prevent the mobo/on-board sound card from doing its job. For that you need to disable it, uninstall the drivers and turn it off in the BIOS. Even after turning it off in the Bios for some having the drivers present seems to cause problems.

It is problem with humans our first sense is sight so with computer games we often forget the importance of sound to a simulation. So we often wrongly attribute FPS to graphic cards or game engines when it is realy sound the oft forgotten poor cousin aspect of game-play that slows down our FPS. The problem is standard sound hardware is not keeping up with graphics. People expect a richer soundscape witness the FDF sound mod and dynamic range in OFP but the problem is polyphony most sound cards are sterio out with perhaps 9 or 18 FM synthesis voices squashed into them. Now consider how many things are going off sound wise in ArmA.

I personally think dynamic 3D sound simulation is the current bottle neck of many games. I think it is also a hardware bottleneck rather than software.

Kind Regards walker

Walker,

I have a AC97 sound-integrated motherboard and I get really poor FPS, aswell as the popping/crackling sounds you mentioned.

Is there a fix for this bug? Or would upgrading to a sound-card fix the probllem?

Hi deevius

Upgrade you driver AC97 driver it is the simple effective solution to 90% of ArmA problems. The ones on this page.

Also turn off EAX and Hardware acceleration in ArmA.

If you have another sound card already and wish to use that instead, you probaly need to remove the mobo sound card drivers and turn your mobo sound card in Bios but try updating those AC97 drivers first!

Kind Regards walker

Thanks Walker.

Sorry - which drivers on this page should I download? Realtek isn't AC97 is it?

I already have the latest version of AC97 sound drivers installed from http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio as I have a VIA chipset...

are you saying should I try these Realtek drivers though?

Hi deevius

What mother board do you have?

Kind Regards walker

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7061

rest of system specs:

AMD Athlon 2800+

1gb RAM

X800 Pro 256mb AGP videocard

my computer is pretty crap, hoping to upgrade soon when I save up some more money but it would be nice to atleast play ArmA somewhat smoothly in the meantime whistle.gif

Hi deevius

According to this it would appear so wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Audio

• AC'97 link controller integrated in VIA VT8237.

• RealTek ALC655 6-channel audio.

- Compliance with AC'97 v2.3 spec.

- Meet PC2001 audio performance requirement.  

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=KM4M-V

Realtek's site

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

(EDIT) Currently the Realtek site is up!  biggrin_o.gif  yay.gif

But if it is down due to overload then repeating what Dwarden gave us:

this is an FTP site used by Realtek it includes all kinds of files for both windowsXP, Vista and probably linux drivers there as well. There are also various readmes and referense and data sheets as pdf files.

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/

Direct links to Realtek AC97 audio drivers

wXP

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_A399.zip

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_A399.exe

Direct links to Realtek HD audio drivers

wXP

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_R164.exe

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_R164.zip

fast mirror

http://www405.fixdown.com/WDM_R164.exe

http://www405.fixdown.com/WDM_R164.zip

Vista

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/VISTA_R164.exe

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/VISTA_R164.zip

Kind Regards walker

Okay cool. I just uninstalled AC97 drivers from Device Mananger and installed the Realtek drivers that were on this page.

but in Control Panel/Sound Audio Devices

it still says Default Device: Vinyl AC'97 Audio

so now im confused as to whether I am using the Realtek or Vinyl drivers tounge2.gif

Try my link smile_o.gif

Yours board use AC97 not HD audio drivers

Horuss, your link doesn't seem to be the 'High Definition Audio' driver that is on the first page. What is the difference with these drivers?

Hi all

Horuss you driver link appears not be the same as the latest ones from Realtek. Size version etc are wrong.

Kind Regards walker

Argggh, this is annoying. Every time I try to uninstall the Vinyl AC97 driver from device manager, then restart the computer.... it just comes back!!

His board use AC97 drivers NOT HD drivers crazy_o.gif Realtek ALC655 use AC97 Audio drivers welcome.gif

well... I dont suppose you know how I can remove the Vinyl AC97 drivers do you...?

because if I try to uninstall them, then restart the computer... the driver is still installed. crazy_o.gif

and obviously trying to have 2 different sound drivers on the same system probably is not a good idea..