Sign in to follow this  
rainbow

GAME2's elements in Armed Assault?

Word on the street is Arma is a semi done up version of Arma 2. Now best example is seeing a hot girl going for a jog, not particularly nicely dressed but still good to watch. Thats Arma. Now going out to the richest place and town and seeing the same girl but this time all dressed up and more inviting. now thats Arma II

Nice.... analogy... tounge2.gif

Haha, word on the street. Love it.

ArmA2 certainly looks quite enticing - different atmosphere, perhaps a proper story this time, seems like there's greater emphasis on towns from the screens I've seen. Maybe they're trying to recapture the spirit of OFP with the post soviet country? Who knows. It's another thing that's long, long away in the pipeline to look forward to... I don't expect the look of the game to change THAT dramatically, given the changes that ArmA went through. I think ArmA might stand to be a 'proof of concept' for the engine, whereas ArmA2 is the more fully rounded 'game' we were all waiting for.

With the release of the tools today, things are looking quite good in terms of ArmA modification. Hopefully we'll get lots of extravagant moddery to tide us over in the long wait for the sequel.

Well I'm afraid they're going to have to do better than "ArmA in a nice dress" if they want ArmA 2 to compete with OFP2. While it's true that we know almost nothing about Codemasters' new toy, we do know that there's a lot about ArmA that upset a lot of people. A quick look a the "ArmA is just disappointing" thread makes that abundantly clear. There are a LOT of OFP fans out there who didn't buy ArmA based on their experience with the demo/not-so-legal copies of the game and those people will likely take one look at ArmA 2, instantly think "it's the same bloody game" and disregard it for ever after.

As it is, a lot of my squadies are regretting their purchase because they feel that apart from pretty graphics, it's really hasn't improved over OFP at all and in some aspects, has actually gone backwards. In some instances I tend to agree.

The dificulty is doing it all in real time and not like in the GTA games wink_o.gif . And... ensuring that the user can create a mission with full control over the events.

ES4:Oblivion? That worked well, despite the many flaws of the game. I think having AI all over the island is very possible, especially with a tweak of the streaming engine- perhaps having chances things will happen over the island based on statistics (no actual rendered or real-time battle going on until the player arrives). That way it would feel totally real smile_o.gif Can it be done, though? I don't know.

If anybody can pull it off, I think BIS can. From the myriad previews we have access to so far, their ambition knows no bounds and they have (it seems) a genuine passion for making a soldier sim more than just about firing a weapon. If it wasn't for BIS' ambition thus far, we wouldn't have the all-encompassing OFP and its incremental update ArmA. It's STILL the only game on the market to convincingly render all major facets of the modern battlefield, something nobody else has equalled on either scale or fidelity. Some of the ambition, danger, risk and invention that was present in OFP should translate well to ArmA2.