Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Mod-Tools. Will this usher in everything we yearn?

Secondary Edit: I completely forgot about the Addon Making Category. (I never venture beyond the domain & realm of General/Mission Editing categories.. unless this category fits general that is wink_o.gif)

-------------------------------------------

Original Post:

I hate to sound completely like an idiot.. but I see all of these Hind videos, animations, maps, and other addons, but nothing is ever released. Is this because ArmA doesn't have mod support yet? If so, how can people port things from OFP over but not release them? ...is it perhaps dozens of addon makers that don't want to release their goodies...or is there something preventing them to do so?

Since the addon community was so large in OFP... I thought that BIS would realize that these tools would be the backbone of ArmA's longevity.. but how come its taken since November (5 Months?!wink_o.gif and no support is even offered? Are they trying to kill the weak and save the loyal? (Good Idea)

This comes from an inexperienced person and I do ask not to take anything I say to heart. (Pulling a 36hour day, perhaps I am not thinking clearly). wink_o.gif )

What do you hope for in the mod-tools? What sort of possibilities will modelers be able to explore that OFP modeling didn't?

I think that the tools should had been released even before the actual game release smile_o.gif

I think that the tools should had been released even before the actual game release smile_o.gif

I agree with you there. But I can tell you that with all the added functionality of the tools, even texView, there has to be some beta testing done to the "public release" version of the tools before they are given out. I know its hard being patient knowing all the excellent quality addons we played with in OFP are just a few tweaks away from an import.

The stuff is unreleased because there is a shitload other to do next to just the usual Modelling and texturing.

Most things take a lot of time because everything has to be refound out, all the config settings, turret things, animations, tachometers, etc. etc. etc. ... everyone is kinda a virgin again since ArmA... Hence you see a lot of stuff in vids and screenshots, but they are still fixing, making things work as they should etc. etc.

Plus, next to the above, addon making simply doesnt end at a model and textures, but feature wise (scripts, animations, feats blabla)... they can be still in the makings smile_o.gif

geez, just be patient and wait. Surely you have other things to do than sitting at your desk waiting for video game addons. The tools will eventually be released, but they'll be released when BIS decides, not when we demand.

Given the obvious interest and anticipation, it'd not be

unreasonable of BIS, as a professional software house,

to give some rough estimate of when (or even if) we

might expect these. The trite and dismissive "they'll

be out when they're ready" line we always get is very

tiresome.

i think the mod tools should be user friendly and they should have been out in the last patch thats my opinion be a sarcastic c unt if you want but im angry that no tools to do my wonder full work

yeah the people in the know should be letting the community know whats happening with the tools, expected release date would be nice, i dont really do anything in the way of modmaking, did a bit in ofp but i can still see why people would be getting a little miffed now having to wait....again

i think the mod tools should be user friendly and they should have been out in the last patch thats my opinion be a sarcastic c unt if you want but im angry that no tools to do my wonder full work

I do not think you should expect tutorials and much explaination that come along with the tools.

The trite and dismissive "they'll

tiresome.

Opposite to the "When will they be released?" I guess?

The trite and dismissive "they'll

tiresome.

I think with the 1.05 patch community info update they noted about 1-3 months after US release or the patch 1.05 release (my memory is lacking atm..).

I guess one might assume that they first finish the US Release and patch before they go over to the Tools?

BTW, last thing I heard from Suma was that they usually give those answers, also because they simply do not know themselves yet. This was probably a product of the late USA sign, and possibly with unknowing what kind of bugs and problems they would encounter or how long that would take, but thats simply own guess.

The people in the know should nothing, the tools will be released when they are ready. This is not a cake you put in the oven and say "should be done in about an hour". Let BIS do their work and stop nagging, we will get our addons and tools in due time. I'm sure a lot of you want to work on your "awesome" addons, and even more of you can't wait till other people get to work on the addons you want, but nagging at bis is not gonna make the tools magically appear. So chill out, and maybe get your fat ass some exercise.

I think some of you missed the point / question of his post. He didn't ask "when" these were coming out. I think he was asking what the tools are going to offer, since it APPEARS that people are making and importing addons from Arma into OFP, like the Hind. He's saying, if that can be done... then what do we need the tools for. (not exactly but its different then "WAAAAA when are the tools coming out".... ).

I think some people read a thread title and they have to get on their high horse and put the person down for posting a question they think shouldn't have been asked (even when its a different question then they really asked).

The people in the know should nothing, the tools will be released when they are ready. This is not a cake you put in the oven and say "should be done in about an hour". Let BIS do their work and stop nagging, we will get our addons and tools in due time. I'm sure a lot of you want to work on your "awesome" addons, and even more of you can't wait till other people get to work on the addons you want, but nagging at bis is not gonna make the tools magically appear. So chill out, and maybe get your fat ass some exercise.

YES SIR profe! let no-one ever voice their opinion without your wrath, i hope i dont ever meet you in person incase you kick my "fat" un-athletic ass. goddam, must be great for you having your pc installed on your mum's cross trainer. idiot.

I think some people read a thread title and they have to get on their high horse and put the person down for posting a question they think shouldn't have been asked (even when its a different question then they really asked).

So true. There's a lot of 'high horsing' going on this forum(profe's post is a good example of that). I think we'll see a lot of quality stuff when the tools gradually gets released.

So chill out, and maybe get your fat ass some exercise.

That was quite uncalled for, Profe: 1+WL

I do not think you should expect tutorials and much explaination that come along with the tools.

Removed.

Ah thats very good to hear biggrin_o.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes I'm the one in the high horse when we got a bunch of know nothings making demands and hassling game devs like it's their god given right.

Yes urbanwarrior, my wrath, I just killed 500 nerds with a single post.:rolleyes: I guess I can't voice my opinions if they are different than yours.

I love ArmA, and I'm eagerly awaiting the addons the community will make, but I don't need to come in here and fuss because I want my way all the time. I'm sure BIS has a lot of work on their hands and the last thing they need is people acting like spoiled brats on their forums. BE PATIENT!!!

I bought OFP the day it came out in USA.

I was totally silent on these forums until the mod tools for OFP came out public (they were private at first too)

The tools for OFP is what brought me here,I hope Arma tools soon.I'm bored.I'd rather make than play

Well, the only thing that isn't possible with the tools we CURRENTLY have is editing character models. We can make weapons and vehicles using the current O2. TexView or PAATool seem to work fine for creating textures, and there is a 3rd party tool being developed by members of the 'Operation Freeworld' mod (I think) that can import new islands - though the information has since been removed from their thread because it was released before the author wanted it to be. So I don't see what all of this "We need new tools to make stuff!" argument is about. It just seems like a justification for them not being that motivated/dedicated to use the old OFP tools to get the job done. Admittedly, the new tools would help a great deal with certain aspects (integrating cfgmodels with the models themselves etc.) but for the time being at least, they do get the job done.

Good point Jackal. The tools don't help with character models also, you'd just need a reference model to see how to name the sections. If you have the CfgModels in an extra file or in the bin'ed model does not make any difference (beside performance maybe), I guess. smile_o.gif

I never bashed BIS for the tools not being released or given a release date. Don't assume that, just so you can pounce on me and yell at me to cure your own emotional agenda's smile_o.gif

I've been apart of it all since the beginning and have been trained' to be patient. Hence why I tried steering it away by asking others what they would like to see in the tools that (hopefully) are to be released.

What I'm wondering is... what are the possible new implementations that can be done to push the capabilities of the engine to the max.. like in OFP Kegety's Dxdll, Gnat's landable ships, two independent turrets on vehicles. Stuff like that.

I want to know one thing...

Is the new "Oxygen" (or whatever it's named) a sort of "Objectiv" like the one you can have with VBS1? Can you make macros for the engine, is there a real time viewer like the VBS1 one?