Sign in to follow this  
inthecutt

New 8800 driver released,  XP only

Welcome to the 8800GTX + ArmA Club! biggrin_o.gif

Well it's the same to me. I don't think there is any driver who can fix this problem.

It's just ArmA!

the beta 100 driver is better than the official 97.4 driver.

tested both this weekend the beta delivers much better performance i also noticed ARMA had a profile in the beta from 3dguru.

i would also recommend the beta now

i would love the bloody haze issue compared to what i have, when i run it on my 8800 it looks like something out of the early 90's thanks to the lovely lod bug tounge2.gif

i would love the bloody haze issue compared to what i have, when i run it on my 8800 it looks like something out of the early 90's thanks to the lovely lod bug tounge2.gif

Well I fiddled with my system and I just can't get the LOD bug at all anymore.

Im using the lastes beta ARMA and Beta nvidia drivers.

i removed Nvidia Memory mangers and ntune.

maxmem 1024 in arma cfg with 32 hdr

default arma profile in beta drivers.

But its gone for good after 2 days of play. I leave texture on normal not high vhigh as well.

8800 GTx XPSp2 AMD 4000SC 2gig ram

Welcome to the 8800GTX + ArmA Club!  biggrin_o.gif

Well it's the same to me. I don't think there is any driver who can fix this problem.

It's just ArmA!

Lol ill soon be joining with my 8800 GTX and ill post what happens to my ArmA for the better or worse tounge2.gif so stay tuned.

Well I fiddled with my system and I just can't get the LOD bug at all anymore.

Im using the lastes beta ARMA and Beta nvidia drivers.

i removed Nvidia Memory mangers and ntune.

maxmem 1024 in arma cfg with 32 hdr

default arma profile in beta drivers.

But its gone for good after 2 days of play. I leave texture on normal not high vhigh as well.

8800 GTx XPSp2 AMD 4000SC 2gig ram

Why do you set hdr to 32 into cfg does it give better performance mine is at 8.And is it better to put the maxmem setting in the cfg rather then the shortcut?

i have no problems at all with my 8800GTX, just played STALKER with min 60fps and more on 1600 x 1280 everythink on high while the gfx looks 50% better than ArmA. Same goes for oblivion, all maxed out on min 50fps +. In BF2 i have constant 99fps again everythink maxed with 1600 x, the fps counter doesn't go higher doh.

But with ArmA, well you know the stories, sometimes even only 10fps without adding somethink in the editor. Have to set everythink on normal without postproc. on 1280 x to have no visual stuttering in allmost every situation.

Gonna check this 100.xx beta serie of nvidia now...

i keep hearing people here using beta driver 100.2 correct?

but isn't that a vista driver because i searched and i couldn't find it . last beta driver i checked on nvidia website was 80 something.

someone link me website to this driver!!

i keep hearing people here using beta driver 100.2 correct?

but isn't that a vista driver because i searched and i couldn't find it . last beta driver i checked on nvidia website was 80 something.

someone link me website to this driver!!

100.95 and 101.02 (both beta) are available for XP as well and both were posted in this forum section.

Could someone be so kind på post a PM to me with links to the variouse 100+ version drivers.

I'm running a 3.4 gig Pentium D

2 gig 800mhtz DDR2 RAM

8800GTX

a good clean highend Mobo

And I can't get more than 34 frames in arma with most on high.

In a fast moving chopper it even stutters. that just can't be right,

You're probably getting CPU limited rather than GPU. I have a P4 3.2 with an ATi X800 and I can get steady 30 fps. From that I'd say your graphics card is sitting there waiting for the CPU to catch up...

here you find the latest Nvidia Beta driver for XP:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1609

i just installed it yesterday and before i did i made some screenshots with fps, reloading the same scene resulted in the same fps as with the latest official driver 97.94 but ingame it seemed extrem better and i have more AntiAliasing settings from low to very high and additionaly 5-8, while 5 is allready higher than very high. one problem is that my RivaTuner V20 FR isn't supported, so i cannot Overclock my card anymore, have to search for another solution to OC my 8800GTX. Any idee without loosing my garantie ?

but what cpu should I have then?

Thats the problem, according to mosts mainstream review sites even the VERY fastest AMD x2 chips even OC'ed to the max bottleneck the 8800 GTX.

This isn't because Intel and nvidia have done a deal, but because the PCi bus, DDR2 and current AMD chip suddenly became not fast enough with the 8800. They still run it fine but the Intel Duo cores can power the 8800 generally 30 percent faster the equiv' AMD core.

Big change as general Intel got owned my AMD for games for the last few years.

So looking at benchmarks a 8800 GTX and a E6300 not even oc'ed, will generally outperform a 7900 SLI AND FX 62 machine from last year.

But Intel are in a fix, with Vista out now but mainly bugged for many games, Xp support going backwards and many game developers just ignoring the PC this year and going console. X2 and Duo optomised games software is a bit thin on the ground.

Supreme Commander is fully optomised for a Duo core and 8800, and in fact the performance gains in that package verse's a single core and older GFX card are insane. but there is not much else (yet).

Over the next 12 months with DX10 and vista this will change hopefully we will see many Pc titles fully optomised for DX10 GPU's and Dual/Quad core CPU's.

In general the Duo/x2 and Qaud cores are always as fast as a single core (there a few games where more than 1 core can hamper performance but they are generally getting fixed). And unlike a single core allow the option to have other software running while gaming such as FRAPS, Pain packages, web browsers, software firewalls and AV spyware software with little performance loss to a game.

games such as Alan wake and crysis have promised Duo and quad core support.

Single core have hit rock bottom prices now. So they are very cheap but for only a little more a X2 AMD or Duo Core intel are alot faster and as software comes out that is written for them they will go into their own league.

Photoshop and 3d Studio Max (professional packages) have been optomised for more than one core and their benchmarks are mind blowing. Games have to catch up.

world of warcraft has been made compatable with X2 and Duo cores now but not optomised for sometime x2 cores would crash alot in WOW.

Suma has said Vista Support and Dual/Quad Core support has not been created for ARMA and far as i know no DX10 support has been promised either.

505 games and Atari should complete a machine scan Like the HL2 steam one, so BIH could understand what people are using to play ARMA. Once X2 cores and intel Duo/Cores are over 50% of the GPUs used to play the game some thought should be given to making ARMA optomised for the new CPU's as well as vista.

First things first.

The 100.xx and 101.xx Drivers are NOT BETA drivers, lets clear this up first.

They are hardware specific drivers released by nVidia to Hardware vendors for their hardware that is on the current market.

The 100.87 driver was released by Leadtek for their 8800 cards.

The 101.02 driver was released by an unknown source, probably Leaktek again for their hardware market.

The vendors are going to be the first to get the drivers and will tailor them for their products.

If you are looking for newer drivers to use, visit Guru3D website.

100.95 and 101.02 are beta drivers as they orginally supported only the unreleased 8600 cards. However don´t take the "beta" too serious, Nvidias beta drivers are usually not any worse or less stable than the non-beta release version. Actually 100.95 were by far more stable and faster than the official 97.02 and 97.92 were for me.

I don't know if something like this happened to everybody that mount a 8800gtx...

but very often when i go near a trees begin to stutter very high...

so i go to option and if i change "for example" AA high to very high or very high to high the problem go away, but after it happened again...

is it only my problem or many people with a 8800gtx have?huh.gif

now i'll try to put 101,02 driver.. but i had a problem to install it, don't start windows... i have to erase the precedent driver???

I installed for my EVGA8800GTX this 101.02

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1609

driver which runs fine. Now I see this newer 97.94

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1613

and a 97.95 older then both

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1601

What is the latest? The version number is nonsense I guess

I don't know if something like this happened to everybody that mount a 8800gtx...

so i go to option and if i change "for example" AA high to very high or very high to high the problem go away, but after it happened again...

now i'll try to put 101,02 driver.. but i had a problem to install it, don't start windows... i have to erase the precedent driver???

no one have a problem like mine???

no one have a problem like mine???

yes, you need remove Nvidia Drivers before you intall new ones. If your pc is not booting, start windows in safe mode, uninstall the driver and reboot normally. only then can you install the new one

Right, I've spent the morning testing ArmA with the new Nvidia drivers and fraps.

Using a editor mission with about 6 infantry platoons and a bmp fighting in a southern town.

BEFORE the nvidia patch I had general graphics all set to medium, with shadows on high, fps would be at best around 65, but in the town fall into the 40's, but the biggest problem before patching was when making sudden direction changes or zooming in, the game would just hesitate for a few moments which made it feel basically fairly smooth but with quite a bit of intermittent choppiness. And pretty to look at.

AFTER patch... in a nutshell, I've noticed a superb difference. For starters, the direction change/zooming hesitation has virtually vanished, with only minimal hesitation when flying a chopper to a new area of the map and I imagine the game is loading new stuff into the memory, or whatever. I've turned ALL the graphics settings upto "Very High", and the fps at best is still over 110, and dips in heavy combat to around 55 which feels very smooth, especially now the hesitation has gone.

As for the "Haze/fog/8800" issue, since the betaArmaPatch the fog has gone and I like the haze effect, I think it's a deliberate effect to simulate far distance blending to the horizon. After all, it would be nice to have 10km view distance but the fps hit is too much, and if instead you set the view distance to 4km, it would look silly if the distant horizon was crystal clear and then just "stopped" (in other words, without the haze effect).

So anyone with a 8800, get the new nvidia drivers, get the beta patch and enjoy.

thanks very much, i've installed it...101.02

but the problem of stuttering remain... when i watch a tree, the fps falls to 12-10 huh.gif i really don't know what is it, very often near trees... i hope is not only my problem... cause i don't want start to think bad things..... (failure of my card)

I installed for my EVGA8800GTX this 101.02

driver which runs fine. Now I see this newer 97.94

and a 97.95 older then both

What is the latest? The version number is nonsense I guess

Actually Nvidia has several driver teams that work at different rates and the whole number system has a deeper meaning as well (similar to Nokia phones) each number after the dot represent a certain state of the driver.

Anyway, 97.94/97.95 have a newer date and SLI should work with them properly but 100.95/101.02 should have better game optimizations and fixes (other than maybe last minute hotfixes) but SLI doesn´t work properly with them.

I get the same thing ravellron gets around trees. I've tried the 100.95 the 101.02 and resorted to reinstalling the 97.94 . I've noticed that turning AA to low or off allows me more frames around trees and forest and but still eventually get the really low frame rates. Funny, my 7900gs and my 7600gt have no problems at all with scopes and forests or fog for that matter. I'm sorry I ever purchased this crappy 8800gts.

Let's hope nvidia comes out with a proper fix asap.

Well since most of us here are off-topic wink_o.gif

I will only buy Nvidia gpu's since they support linux way better (my game-pc always ends up running my normal stuff after 1-2 years of service).

On-topic: I will try this patch with my Nvidia 7950 GX2, just to see if I also have a little haze.