Sign in to follow this  
-Puma-

tweak for 2gb users

I tried this under windows vista (ultimate 64bit), it was ok under arma, no crashes or anything but the lod bug remained sad_o.gif

however when i tried to play project reality thats when it all went tits up. I just renabled the page file,

oh i have 2gb of ram  pistols.gif

softward are developed in different ways, while BF use things like other games did, doesnt mean ArmA should use the same, nor it will work for such large scaled game, Suma(or is it Maruk?) had once said that the game is using all the things the system have which other games simply didnt touch, someone may said that it is a bad idea, but i think ArmA wont be ArmA if they didnt did that, i have no idea that if OFP is the same story under DX8.1 ear but my guess is that yes it is

Windows XP sp2

Nvidia Geforce 7500LE

2 Gig DDR2 Ram

Shite harddrive

Page file on = texture/lod loading times is slow (once it was never in a 30 minute game lol)

Page file off = texture/load loading time is near enough instant. City's and forest have a small delay if I drive past fast or something.

FPS increased on average by about 5-10.

Thanks for the tip wink_o.gif

heh glad to hear, and NP for the tip.

I played today some cool coop missions, and I must say Arma runs

beautifully yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

expect, in 1 mission where we had 80 soldiers and about 20 vehicles, and I every1 was getting like 3 fps lol biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Windows XP sp2

Nvidia Geforce 7500LE

2 Gig DDR2 Ram

Shite harddrive

Page file on = texture/lod loading times is slow (once it was never in a 30 minute game lol)

Page file off = texture/load loading time is near enough instant. City's and forest have a small delay if I drive past fast or something.

the 64MB Nvidia Geforce 7500LE you have was probably using the faster DDR2 memory you have for texture memory and loading...probably explains why wink_o.gif

surprised you can start ArmA with that video card, it doesn't have pixel shader 3.0.

There's a BSOD memory dump setting you need to turn off in My Computer Properties in order to be able to negate the need for the 2MB pagefile.  I'd do that anyway; you don't want memory dumps mouldering in your C:\ drive.

where exactly in the My Computer Properties is the BSOD memory setting?? I use xp home, but cannot seem to find that option you talk of.

Windows XP sp2

Nvidia Geforce 7500LE

2 Gig DDR2 Ram

Shite harddrive

the 64MB Nvidia Geforce 7500LE you have was probably using the faster DDR2 memory you have for texture memory and loading...probably explains why wink_o.gif

surprised you can start ArmA with that video card, it doesn't have pixel shader 3.0.

opf dude, why don't u go and see for ur self what the tweak does , before bashing every1 else's experiences mad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gif

My Computer Properties

-------------------------

I don't have access to XP Home but this is how you do it in Pro: -

1. Click 'Start'

2. R-Click 'My Computer' & choose 'Properties'

3. Select 'Advanced' tab

4. Click 'Settings' in the 'Startup and Recovery' area

5. Use the drop-down to change 'Write debugging information' to '(none)'

After doing that, you can completely switch off Pagefile.

Don't switch off pagefile unless you have enough RAM! If I had 768MB of RAM and I played ArmA, I would leave the Pagefile on.

Prefetch

----------

Prefetch has its uses - but none of those uses are useful to me. When I turn my computer on, I want it lean and mean; I want it the same today as it was yesterday.

Prefetch 'speeds your system up' by ... slowing it down. Go figure. If you check your Windows\Prefetch folder, you might find 100+ objects with 5MB+. These are snippets of the top 100 (or however many) applications and system programs you use, and XP "helpfully" loads them ALL at startup in case you're going to use them.

You can safely delete the contents of prefetch at any time. It'll rebuild its library as you use the computer. I disabled it in the Registry.

Beta Patch

============

Has anyone experimented with mem settings for the beta patch? The changelog mentions RAM optimisations for systems with >1GB phsyical RAM... I've wondered whether this meaens I don't need the maxmem=1280 I use so far.

F

I've tried the maxmem command in the beta; it made my game crash, but that's Vista for you.

I however, have found a little stable niche by setting the page file to 4GB for both of my harddrives. Not a single "cannot create system texture" error yet, though I'm still getting Armed Playdough, damn Vista again. pistols.gif

I've tried the maxmem command in the beta; it made my game crash, but that's Vista for you.

I however, have found a little stable niche by setting the page file to 4GB for both of my harddrives. Not a single "cannot create system texture" error yet, though I'm still getting Armed Playdough, damn Vista again. pistols.gif

For now upgrading vista to Xp may be the best solution for ARMA.

is stalker now working in vista?

Unknown, I haven't got it. ArmA is the only game I haven't straightened out (by that I mean, have got to run on maxed settings, heheheh).

as this thread degrade more and more to various half truths and myths

read section related to prefetch

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/12/XPKernel/

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

(don't throw in your personal opinions about what is prefetch and how it works) ....

as this thread degrade more and more to various half truths and myths

read section related to prefetch

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/12/XPKernel/

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

(don't throw in your personal opinions about what is prefetch and how it works) ....

Had to do a lot of reading to find what your point was. you could have just posted the info.

Quote[/b] ]Reality - The Prefetcher component in Windows XP is part of the Memory Manager, and helps to shorten the amount of time it takes to start Windows and programs. This is a new feature in Windows XP which improves application load times and Windows boot times automatically. The slower your system and the larger an application, the more Prefetching helps. Even high end systems benefit from prefetching with large, slow loading applications, such as large games. By default Prefetching is enabled in Windows XP and already configured optimally. The following list describes the different possible values for the EnablePrefetcher registry key

I'm unconvinced. Microsoft Memory Managers have always been the worst. Even back in DOS, I never let the OS manage my memory automatically. No reason to change now.

F

opf dude, why don't u go and see for ur self what the tweak does , before bashing every1 else's experiences mad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif

I ain't bashing, I just made a comment.

If the pagefile tweak works then ask a moderator or BIS to include it in a performance sticky thread.....or send an email to MS and tell them how much the pagefile is slowing down your system...they might think about removing it wink_o.gif

if they remove the pagefile, 70,000,000 numpties will complain they get out of memory errors...

ok all said and done and if some one else covered this then o well but i have 3Gb DDR and a 700gb Sata drive and a 80GB Sata drive on the 80GB I dedicated the pagefile (Diffent drive from windows and arma install) ansd well with a fre other tweeks i did that i cant say in here as its off topic i get around 20FPS more then i did befor love arma if you love your RIG

biggrin_o.gif

I ain't bashing, I just made a comment.

If the pagefile tweak works then ask a moderator or BIS to include it in a performance sticky thread.....or send an email to MS and tell them how much the pagefile is slowing down your system...they might think about removing it wink_o.gif

I'm not asking any1 to make sticky of this.

judging for ur comments u won't touch anything that isn't stickied or in the www.microsoft.com wink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gif

try these stuff out FIRST and THEN make comments about em' wink_o.gif

Just in response to this topic I would like that this tip HAS WORKED on my PC. By disabling the pagefile the game seems to use just the RAM for the game and for me it has improved loading speeds (particularly starting the game) and in game fps. I have now been able to bump back up some graphics settings and play at a level i can enjoy. Although its still not quite where i hoped it might be, its much better. Such an odd game for performance issues.....

I think what makes ArmA different, is that it needs to load this big-ass island into memory as a whole, not to mention all the Ai and vehicles. And it needs to load the map off from memory, without cutscenes.

Clad this helped u btw smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

ok all said and done and if some one else covered this then o well but i have 3Gb DDR and a 700gb Sata drive and a 80GB Sata drive on the 80GB I dedicated the pagefile (Diffent drive from windows and arma install) ansd well with a fre other tweeks i did that i cant say in here as its off topic i get around 20FPS more then i did befor love arma if you love your RIG

spot on dude, take care of ur system, and ur system will inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gif u... yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Hm, this is kind of related... that pagefile trick would likely do NOTHING for the problems I've been having... ArmA is only using about 900 Mb of my RAM (out of about 1700Mb free when I go to start it), and it's not even TOUCHING the pagefile. Anybody got a clue why THAT might be? :\

i have no clue....

yes the large map is total bull... in performance

talk about system hog...

this sim still needs lot of fixes for performace...

btw does this sim use the access of x2 cpus?

yes the large map is total bull... in performance

talk about system hog...

this sim still needs lot of fixes for performace...

btw does this sim use the access of x2 cpus?

don't think so...