Sign in to follow this  
chammy

Yet another ArmA sound modification

Chammy, love the echo for alot of the weapons! Very immersive.

And I learned something new - you can mow down trees with a shilka!

Keep up the good work.

I liked the first AK sound the best mate it just sounded alot better than the 2nd one. smile_o.gif Keep up the great work!

Great work Chammy, here's what I think...

- Tanks need to be a little louder when firing

- Pt1 of the Shilka is the best sound

And using this video, here's some feedback on weapon sounds

- PK - v2/v3

- M249 - v5

- M240 - v2

- M24 - Great

- M136 AT4 - Sounds Amazing

- M203 - Defiantly needs a little more ummph, but that might be because of the low-quality of that clip

- M16 - Sounds good.

Chammy -

I agree with Mabes that the tanks need to be louder...more bass and a more distinctive 'CRACK!' as the round breaks the sound barrier.

Shilka - I like the second one better..the only thing I'd add is that it is a quad-barreled weapon so you should be hearing all 4 barrels...is it possible to multiply the sound, adding multiple copies of the same sound with very slight delays?

<edit> looks like I was wrong...from what I can tell, it sounds more like the vulcan cannons...very high rate-of-fire. Here's what I've found:

http://videos.fansub.tv/tube.ph....unguska (about half-way through...unfortunately, the announcer is speaking over the top but you can get a sense of the type of sound)

PK - v5

M249 - v1

M240 - v3

M24 - bolt action doesn't sound right

M-16 - about right....the silenced version should have almost nothing besides the sound of the bolt and the crack of the round leaving the barrel.

M-136 - with the exception of the 'clang' of the round dropping (which sounds like you got it from the M-203) right on the nose!

M-203...VERY close, but needs more bass to it...as Mabes suggested, it may be due to the clip quality.

Too bad I didn't know about your project a little over a month ago: I was at a full-auto shoot in Oregon and a lot of these showed up.

<edit> did find this for you, though

http://svd.s20.xrea.com/x/gallery.html

lots of videos of all kinds there...the link here has a good clip for an M-249

Chammy -

"more distinctive 'CRACK!' as the round breaks the sound barrier".

Shilka - I like the second one better..the only thing I'd add is that it is a quad-barreled weapon so you should be hearing all 4 barrels...is it possible to multiply the sound, adding multiple copies of the same sound with very slight delays?

<edit> looks like I was wrong...from what I can tell, it sounds more like the vulcan cannons...very high rate-of-fire.  Here's what I've found:

PK - v5

M249 - v1

M240 - v3

"M24 - bolt action doesn't sound right"

M-136 - with the exception of the 'clang' of the round dropping (which sounds like you got it from the M-203) right on the nose!

M-203...VERY close, but needs more bass to it...as Mabes suggested, it may be due to the clip quality.

Too bad I didn't know about your project a little over a month ago: I was at a full-auto shoot in Oregon and a lot of these showed up.

<edit> did find this for you, though

http://svd.s20.xrea.com/x/gallery.html

lots of videos of all kinds there...the link here has a good clip for an M-249

Well the main guns on the tanks,I can put the sharp crack, but mind you, since the ArmA sound engine oes take care of the sound from afar, still, I want to keep everything in an in between sorta way. I would add it but in real life, its a more sharp dull boom with a nice concussion.

The Shilka, I have a coulpe more sound clips to show, if only I can get my movie maker to work right, I wouldnt have to be adding videos after video.

Yeah the M136 i slowed the shell sound of a 40mm to duplicate the sound of the RAP round being removed, but, I do have anotehr one that is the actual sound heh.

I think I have another clip of the 203 has moer punch.

Thanks for the link to the vids. I have checked those out also but the only thing is, alot of the rifle ranges in these are covered or have yawnings that the shooters are under, so you get that metallic echo, not a choice of sound, but there are some good vids there for reference thanks again.

Hi Chammy. Nice to see you back and thanks for updates smile_o.gif

I vote for all the 'bass-y' and concussive sounds. The ones you can feel.

Can't wait!

agreed on the echo, Chammy...I recognize that, short of visiting a live-fire exercise where you can setup recording equipment, it's going to be difficult to match things exactly.

Keep in mind too that, since the firer's cheek is going to be against the weapon stock where in many cases the recoil spring is housed, you'll get some of that metallic sound during firing because you can hear the recoil spring transmitted through your cheek bone. That obviously wouldn't be the same sound if you heard it from a distance.

All in all, I don't envy you the task you've taken on. You're obviously on a mission to get it right and may be somewhat hindered by the limitations of the engine. It's great that you're willing to take suggestions from the community...even a relative n00b like myself. smile_o.gif

Well, watching that video, i'd prefer the second shilka sound, and the first ak-sound, the sounds are amazing though smile_o.gif

Just my 2 cents on the subject; The armored vehicles sound great, especially the echo, for the shilka I'd choose the second one only with a bit more bass.

The first MG and the dragunov both sound too weak for my taste.

The sounds of the explosions after ejecting don't really sound like I would expect, I would expect a low bassy thud from that distance.

I don't have enough experience with any of these guns to know how they *should* sound. I can only say what *feels* right. (as can 90% of the arma community)

Regarding the quest for the holy grail of perfect sound samples; it doesn't have to be perfect imo, as long as it comes close and it just *feels* right. (immersive/scary/exciting)

What I mean is; sounds recorded in an enclosed environment might actually be more exciting even though not 100% realistic. I'm sure lots of people would say the sounds in Rainbow6 Las Vegas are not realistic (I have no idea if they are or not) but it is a real thrill to fire a gun in that game, just feels right.

I was just looking at this movie; http://www.machineguntours.com/movies/saw.mov

The last guy firing, the sounds of the empty shells rattling is kind of nice, maybe you could incorporate that after every salvo?

Btw, LOL at that site (http://www.machineguntours.com/mgvids.htm) Americans and their guns icon_rolleyes.gif

Keep up the good work chammy, hope to see a beta soon.  thumbs-up.gif

Really great sounds! I like the 2nd Shilke very much. inlove.gif

Just the T72 Maingun could be a bit more "explosive" ... but i'm far of beenig an expert, actually never heared a tank shooting in reals ... so it's just my personal feeling.

And would it be possible to turn down the volume of the aircrafts/choppers in the "Cockpit-View"? It would make it much more easy to comunicate during missions.

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

Great video, m8! smile_o.gif

Some feedback for you:

- The Echo sound from the BMP-2 30mm Fireing, sounds awesome. Great work on the BMP!

- Shilka: Sound number 1 sounds the best, imo. A bit more explosive sound added and it will be great.

- The T-72 fireing it's 125mm sounds pretty mean and I love the mettalic clang on it, but maybe a bit more explosivesound to it will make it even meaner. biggrin_o.gif

- The M1A1 sounds too weak, imo. Look at these videos for some inspiration:

^*Contains no graphical content.

The M240 and the M249, sounds a bit flat it seems, but the echo effect is nice though.

The AK number 1 sounds the best, imo.

Good work Chammy!  The first ZSU and the first AK are my vote.  IMHO I'd have to agree with making the distance explosions a bit more muffled, and more dynamic range on the MG sounds.  Very nice.  thumbs-up.gif  notworthy.gif  inlove.gif

Oh .. forgot the AK sounds.

The AK number 1 sounds the best, imo.

Have to double this. The 1st AK sound is really great ... also like the sound of the AKS-74U. thumbs-up.gif

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

Chammy, you are a living God My friend,

as for sounds, I much prefer the second shilka main gun sound, maybe with a tiny bit more base.

i sat threw the whole video with my jaw hitting the floor.

amazing work, simply amazing

I can say there are about 50+ of my fellow Squadmates looking forward to this pack. You have done a outstanding job. We at the USMC-Warriors are looking forward to the release.

Well I finally got my ArmA to work and have changed the sounds in it cause , like everyones knowledge ArmA stock are shabby. I did check out some of the ones posted already like the FDF and some other one but some of the weapons were too too metalic like, too much reverb and too glassy.  I did use some of the stock, I just switched them around cause they were stuck in the wrong place. You know, for BI wanting a very close to real combat sim, they sure didnt do a very good job in making the sound effects much more real. But i have to hand it to them some are very close, a small amount though. The 249's were almost close but all I did was use the same sound and touched it up a bit with some real echo in it and changed the reload. Still a little more work in progress cause ArmA has a ton of sound wavs  and I have 3 kids to take care of and work crazy_o.gif

almost forgot to post the url:

omg how can you give me an dl link to that 3rd person view you got in this video its great its much closer then the original ArmA 3rd person view. Plz been trying to get the 3rd person view in ArmA closer view it realy brings out the units details. Its like i view so many of the ArmA videos and the 3rd person view its like mass people got this view but me plz let me have this view smile_o.gif

1in1class

Why not ask for that download link by PM? Your post is completely off-topic here.

here is a good reference how it really sounds:

iraq footage

tell u one thing from my experince of firing a weapon. After the first mag, even if u have ear plugs in, you will have hard time hearing all the nuances of individual weapons. They will sound more less the same except for the rate of fire. U litterly go deaf. That's why u shout when u give orders or respond & communicate. If u don't u want hear anything. Just a simple analogy - try setting off a firecracker 4 inches away from u ear and see whether you hearing will be the same wink_o.gif. Now imaging you just set off 30 firecracker; and that's just one mag. So the bottom line is - don't turn your sound selection process into the endless perfection exercise. As long as it has the punch, it's fine

Is it realeased? It is very good, beats the hell out of the FDF sound pack, I love the sounds of your rocket explosions.

Duke Nukem Forever whistle.gif

LOL!, i'm starting to feel this way also but nevertheless I will remain patient!