Sign in to follow this  
Maddmatt

Glitch with transparency AA

I have this annoying glitch when I try to set transparency AA to Multisampling in my video card settings. The "hard" shadows will not cast on objects with transparency such as grass and bushes.

MSAA_bug.jpg

Setting transparency AA to supersampling gets rid of this bug, but also brings the framerate down way too much.

XFX 7800GT 256MB with 93.71 drivers. Have tried others with no success.

Anybody got a solution?

*bump*

Nobody? The lack of transparency AA bugs me, I want to be able to use it. Is it a bug in the game or is there a way I can get it working properly?

hey.....i don't know if it will help but I use nhancer:

NVdia nHancer

it's a great tool which has alot more options for MultiAA and SuperAA. I use it with ArmA and it improves supersampling performance by using the AA compatibility mode set to Oblivion (AA and HDR).

hey.....i don't know if it will help but I use nhancer:

NVdia nHancer

it's a great tool which has alot more options for MultiAA and SuperAA. I use it with ArmA and it improves supersampling performance by using the AA compatibility mode set to Oblivion (AA and HDR).

Thanks, I will have a look at that.

You use super sampling, but what card do you have? An 8800? I doubt my card will handle that well.

Well I tried it with the Oblivion tweak, SSAA is still too demanding for me.

I really want at least multisampling transparency AA. I haven't seen any other reports of this glitch. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Well I tried it with the Oblivion tweak, SSAA is still too demanding for me.

I really want at least multisampling transparency AA. I haven't seen any other reports of this glitch. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

SSAA can double even triple the amount of processing the GPU does.

I think the new beta now does shadows on garss only if set to very high. I gave it a try last night and it was ok on an 8800 GTX egenerally at high with very high shadows and 2km VD.

But I prefer never getting any frame lag in Mp so normally play with PP off.

I do have shadows on very high. They cast on grass and bushes just fine without any transparency AA

But when I set transparency AA to multisampling they don't. That's the problem. My card is a 7800GT so supersampling is too demanding. I want to use multisampling, but this glitch is bugging me.

I have 7600GT.....AA with SuperAA Transparacy looks awesome but the FPS is way too low to be playable with my card......I don't think AA with MultiAA Transparacy gives as much improved image quality to be noticed.

At the moment I'm just using 4XAA with gamma correction which gives good FPS.

The grass in ArmA eats up over 50% of my FPS.....if only BIS included a lawn mower rofl.gif

If you are going to use SuperAA through nHancer then you should disable MultiAA within ArmA.....this will reduce the double processing of both AA and SuperAA....ArmA uses MultiAA...SuperAA is only supported/configured through the video card.

Also, 4XSuperAA is only supported at 1024x768 on the NVidia 7xxx series.

Multisampling transparency AA is still better than nothing. I use it in most games and it definitely makes a difference. ArmA has plenty of transparent edges that need AA - such as grass and trees. As it is now the only way to hide the lack of AA on transparent edges is to turn up the resolution, which only does so much and isn't so great for performance.

Has anybody got it working? It seems like it might just be a bug in ArmA. If other people (maybe the devs) can confirm it then we can post it on the bug-tracker.

I agree with u about the AA transparency not working on things like electric pilons, fences etc... it's probably a bug or not supported. I had similar problem with trying to disable the optimizations which cause too much shimmering....turns out that the ArmA engine is permanently using texture filtering optimizations.

might have better lick with an ATI card icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with u about the AA transparency not working on things like electric pilons, fences etc... it's probably a bug or not supported. I had similar problem with trying to disable the optimizations which cause too much shimmering....turns out that the ArmA engine is permanently using texture filtering optimizations.

might have better lick with an ATI card icon_rolleyes.gif

Same bug as the transparencys in Rainbow six, lastest drivers improced it in Xp AND make sure you have clamp allow on correct setting.

SSAA is for 8800 owners only, don't try that on a 7 series!!!!!!

Even the "mighty" 8800 slows right down with ssaa on lol